Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maia's takedowns are really good because he switches between bjj and wrestling techniques/positions really fluidly. Usually when someone shoots and gets sprawled out into half guard that means the takedown was defended well. With Maia you're in just as much danger from a position that usually means you're safe.

He's like quicksand once he gets ahold of a leg. My favorite part of the Masvidal fight was when Gamebred stuffed a shot but Maia immediately pulled halfguard and was on top within a few seconds and it prompted DC's argument against the takedown statistics. The only way to really defend a Maia takedown at this point is to not let him touch you at all once he's decided to close the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

I get wha you're saying but arguably beating Larkin and Maia makes you a stud at ww. Masvidal will be remembered for all the great fighters he arguably beat.

maia and larkin are beneficiaries of people leaving and getting old/mentally breaking

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He's like quicksand once he gets ahold of a leg. My favorite part of the Masvidal fight was when Gamebred stuffed a shot but Maia immediately pulled halfguard and was on top within a few seconds and it prompted DC's argument against the takedown statistics. The only way to really defend a Maia takedown at this point is to not let him touch you at all once he's decided to close the distance.

That was a funny conversation.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Lorenz Larkin was probably a year or two shy of being the best fighter in the divison and the ufc were stupid for letting him go.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

maia and larkin are beneficiaries of people leaving and getting old/mentally breaking

His destruction of magny was impressive

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Marching Powder posted:

Agreed. Magny is very good and he got bodied.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Larkin is good, but I think his incredibly efficient destruction of Magny is partly a matter of perfect style vs style in Larkin's favor. His counter striking doesn't always produce results, and he's not great at leading.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Woodley's already trying to duck Maia, by the way.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Has to be the most "We are completely out of options" title shot ever.

:confused: Maia has won seven in a row, the last two against top-five opponents. The only competitive fight was Masvidal. He arguably deserved a title shot three wins ago.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I dunno if you can call Donald Cerrone an out of class LW after he bodied 4 tough people at WW....

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Woodley's already trying to duck Maia, by the way.

lol hes a big idiot

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

Woodley's already trying to duck Maia, by the way

Classic Woodley

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
McGregor broke the UFC by inspiring guys vastly less talented, entertaining and popular than him to also try to do insane hardball negotiations for vanity money fights.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Woodley said he would fight Maia, but only if the fights he really wants against Nick Diaz or GSP don't materialize

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Woodley said he would fight Maia, but only if the fights he really wants against Nick Diaz or GSP don't materialize

Admittedly, which PPV is gonna sell more? Fighting one of two dudes who can actually sell tickets, or fighting against a brilliant Brazilian who deserves it, and has a pretty good story, but won't be pushed by WME because he's not one of their clients. Unless he is, in which case, ignore me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
GSP vs Diaz II would sell way more PPVs so I hope they do that fight as a main event over Woodley vs Maia, and then Woodley loses, and Maia retires with the belt, and they just go ahead and give Robbie lawler the title back again

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

JaySB posted:

I dunno if you can call Donald Cerrone an out of class LW after he bodied 4 tough people at WW....

Im probably going too hard in the other direction. but Um yeah I think cerrone, magny, masvidal and maia are all beneficiaries of a lot of guys flaming out at once

story, ellenberger, condit, kampmann, hendricks, etc. was a superior group of dudes in their primes, imo. These guys picked them off as they aged out from being beaten up n stuff. I think that class of WWs we saw with the guys i meantioned plus pyle, peirce, brown, and so on. THats the best MMA has been so far, IMO.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
after woodley/wonderboy II I have to think tyron doesn't have much leverage with dana

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Im probably going too hard in the other direction. but Um yeah I think cerrone, magny, masvidal and maia are all beneficiaries of a lot of guys flaming out at once

story, ellenberger, condit, kampmann, hendricks, etc. was a superior group of dudes in their primes, imo. These guys picked them off as they aged out from being beaten up n stuff. I think that class of WWs we saw with the guys i meantioned plus pyle, peirce, brown, and so on. THats the best MMA has been so far, IMO.

all those dudes except Hendricks and pierce were good not great. Hendricks was great/elite, pierce was flat bad. Maia is great, Cerrone is great and will retire with some fun records, masvidal has potential he hasn't realized

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

all those dudes except Hendricks and pierce were good not great. Hendricks was great/elite, pierce was flat bad. Maia is great, Cerrone is great and will retire with some fun records, masvidal has potential he hasn't realized

utter disagree

cerrone was a great lw. agree hendricks was great. if maia was great it wouldn't have been until now that he broke through

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 16, 2017

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Masvidal's entire career is all "that kid has potential if only he stopped being stupid"

He's 32.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Well, Maia is dogshit to watch but beat a pile of fools on your list. Cerrone will never be champ, masvidal will never be champ, but like.... why isn't your list the actual good fighters from that era like Jake shields and rory

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

Masvidal's entire career is all "that kid has potential if only he stopped being stupid"

He's 32.

i bought it for a long time . f dog talked me out of it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

Well, Maia is dogshit to watch but beat a pile of fools on your list. Cerrone will never be champ, masvidal will never be champ, but like.... why isn't your list the actual good fighters from that era like Jake shields and rory

maias solid, he just didnt stand at the top til people like hendricks and condit mental failed, and others got old/left cuz ufc didnt pay up

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

i bought it for a long time . f dog talked me out of it

I remember in like 2013 you posted about how you weren't sure if masvidal was a top fighter or not. 4 years and 12 fights later, the question still remains

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bundt Cake posted:

maias solid, he just didnt stand at the top til people like hendricks and condit mental failed, and others got old/left cuz ufc didnt pay up

I love Condit so very much, but the man who could not stay upright probably wouldn't have ever beaten Maia in a three rounder.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

big money big clit posted:

I love Condit so very much, but the man who could not stay upright probably wouldn't have ever beaten Maia in a three rounder.

fair but he was in the division the whole time. the rock paper scissors style makes fights game overall favored condit, though. thats why he fought for the title and maia didnt. maia was part of the insanity of that time. hes bisping like in sticking around so long at the almost top level until it pays off

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i really like watching Maia

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's like watching a guy who can't swim being thrown into the ocean and every minute he gets thrown a progressively better floaty toy

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
he made mw better because his initial streak put the division on notice

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
maia and jason macdonald submitted 7 (incl jmac himself) different mws from 06 to 09. ed herman got choked by both.2 were contenders (leben + sonnen) and hermen, lambert, and jay mac were all likely guys to make the next step. then around 2010 munoz, simpson, and maybe 2-3 other guys came and stepped the wrestling up above nate marquardt levels.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bundt Cake posted:

fair but he was in the division the whole time. the rock paper scissors style makes fights game overall favored condit, though. thats why he fought for the title and maia didnt. maia was part of the insanity of that time. hes bisping like in sticking around so long at the almost top level until it pays off

Condit got his title shot against Lawler after notching one straight win and going 2-3 in his last five.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Condit got his title shot against Lawler after notching one straight win and going 2-3 in his last five.

And all MMA fans are all the richer for it. Especially jase

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

he had a close and great fight with the champ hendricks and the weird L to Woodley. hed already transcended to the top at that point. After you put GSP in legit danger and a good fight for the first time in years, you graduate a little bit.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What's next for Yair? featherweight is loving stacked. Stephens or Jason Knight would be good. Brian Ortega? featherweight is really cool.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

And all MMA fans are all the richer for it. Especially jase

I am exceedingly glad he did because Condit is cool as hell, and it's a great fight, but he got the title shot because he's really exciting, and Maia hasn't so far because he's not.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its like Fitch all over again

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nierbo posted:

Its like Fitch all over again

Maia is better than Fitch ever hoped to be mostly because he actually finishes opponents.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

he had a close and great fight with the champ hendricks and the weird L to Woodley. hed already transcended to the top at that point. After you put GSP in legit danger and a good fight for the first time in years, you graduate a little bit.

You have all these qualifiers for a fighter that Maia submitted in a couple of minutes.

Maia made Anderson so afraid of his power that Silva ran away for 3 rounds.

Edit: Condit's loss to Woodley wasn't weird. He ran into right hands over and over then Woodley kicked him and he got injured. To me that says Condit got his loving rear end kicked.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a single kick that caused his knee to blow out. I wouldn't say that's an rear end kicking and just a random injury that happened a la Silva breaking his leg in the rematch with Weidman. It's a loss sure, but it's still a random unintended injury that stops the fight mid tempo when neither guy is expecting it to happen.

Edit - Check that, it wasn't a kick. It was after Woodley landed on Condit's need during a scramble and when Condit got back up a light kick caused it to buckle further.

Watch it here if you have Fight Pass

https://www.ufc.tv/video/tyron-woodley-vs-carlos-condit-ufc-171

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 16, 2017

• Locked thread