Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I graduated with a 2.98 because I failed a couple classes my freshman year before I switched my major to accounting, none of the Big 4 even gave me an interview for an internship, if you have a 3.7 in your masters program your fine you will get hired and if you want to stay in your home town whatever CPA firms there as long as you aren't a moron in the interview will give you a job although it will probably pay you less than Seattle.

Seattle is expensive though, I wouldn't recommend moving there.

I don't want to sound bitter I got a job as a staff accountant at a private company and while the pay is a bit lower, I think the most I worked in a week since I graduated was 45 hours or so compared to the shifts people do at the big firms.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kitchner posted:

The really old universities like Oxford only do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degrees

this isn't true, both oxford and cambridge do 2:1s (and they're the most common classification in most subjects I think)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I work at a Big 4. My plan was to stick around to senior or maybe even manager then hasta la vista, but some are telling me it just isn't worth it. What are y'alls feelings? Currently, my first busy season was pretty easy, but I understand they go easy on first years. 70 hour weeks weren't so bad because I have no life and liked the free diners and cabs home (beat my normal commute), but I understand it gets worse.

What is y'all experiences?

Currently, I like my bosses, co-workers, and the company culture. The place is actually pretty chill and their programs make my life easier, currently. So, I'm not in a rush, frankly, but I'm curious if its worth it to go that far.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I'd say stick around until senior unless you hate it, which you don't seem to. Or if you notice you're falling behind your peers, then also consider moving on.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Depends on what other offers you get (you'll get a lot, especially after becoming senior) and how much you hate it. A year of manager then out is probably the best for long term growth potential but those senior years suuuuuuuck. A year of senior experience is also well regarded

Either way get your cpa and a good offer lined up before you quit

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Makes sense and, yeah, got the vibe senior years suck. One of my first seniors was a hyper loving cool dude and I loved working for the dude and he would mention how his life was hell.

What would be a good offer when I blow this Popsicle stand? What would y'all consider a good step up? Like % of salary, junk like that?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Judge your offer by what you'll be doing, who you'll be working with, and the work life balance there. Salary will be the pretty standard 15-20% bump over public

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this isn't true, both oxford and cambridge do 2:1s (and they're the most common classification in most subjects I think)

Oh, they changed in the 70s apprently, my lack of oxbridge experience is really showing.

Covok posted:

I work at a Big 4. My plan was to stick around to senior or maybe even manager then hasta la vista, but some are telling me it just isn't worth it. What are y'alls feelings? Currently, my first busy season was pretty easy, but I understand they go easy on first years. 70 hour weeks weren't so bad because I have no life and liked the free diners and cabs home (beat my normal commute), but I understand it gets worse.

What is y'all experiences?

Currently, I like my bosses, co-workers, and the company culture. The place is actually pretty chill and their programs make my life easier, currently. So, I'm not in a rush, frankly, but I'm curious if its worth it to go that far.

You gotta do what is right for you. Big 4 experience is great on your CV/resume and you'll advance title wise much faster in a public firm than in industry, but industry is usually better paid and less stress.

I accepted a new job just yesterday after being in industry, joining public in a big but not big 4 firm, and now going back into industry. In the last 4 years I've managed to go from a salary of £14,500 when I was first recruited as an Internal Auditor to this new job having a salary of £65,500. By the time I'm in my mid 30s I'll have about 10 years experience in internal audit in both a public accountancy firm, as well as large international companies. Hopefully by then I'll be a head of internal audit somewhere. That isn't a traditional career path though, and many people have left the firm I'm at for worse exit oppertunities than the one I took, some of them would probably have been better making it to manager at the firm.

If you're happy in the big 4, stick with the big 4 until you feel it would be more advantageous to leave. If you're not happy, then leave. What you shouldn't do is just leave because other people say that's the best thing to do. The only person capable of really spotting oppertunities as they arise is you, so you are better figuring out what it is you're really looking to get out of a job first.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

How about you grow some hair on your chest and get back to us when you've gotten a courtesy disconnect after being on hold with the IRS for two hours.

This happened to me the other day while calling in to ask about probably the most bizarre notice I've ever seen (rejection of application for refund due to massive NOL carry back from 2015):

"We received your Form 1045 on December 28, 2016. Unfortunately, you must file form 1040X because we did not receive it within one year after the taxable year when the loss occurred"

Argh gently caress just take 10 minutes and explain to me why you're giving me that bullshit when you say the exact loving opposite in the sentence before that

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I accepted a new job last week and handed my notice in.

Only been at my public firm for two years, but I was basically treading water career wise due to their dumb attitude towards the CIA qualification, and the fact that they weren't overly in a rush for managers. That combined with the prospect of low pay for another 12 months and the workload stepping up I decided to roll the dice.

I got super lucky, landed a job as a Senior Internal Auditor at a global telecoms company, they doubled my salary (my manager at the firm I left is a Senior Manager and he's only earning £5,000 more than me), it's got 30% international travel, and most importantly my work will mainly be planning and finishing off audits at the group level rather than actually performing audit work.

The money bit hasn't sunk in yet, but I'm really looking forward to the job.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Oh, they changed in the 70s apprently, my lack of oxbridge experience is really showing.

You gotta do what is right for you. Big 4 experience is great on your CV/resume and you'll advance title wise much faster in a public firm than in industry, but industry is usually better paid and less stress.

I accepted a new job just yesterday after being in industry, joining public in a big but not big 4 firm, and now going back into industry. In the last 4 years I've managed to go from a salary of £14,500 when I was first recruited as an Internal Auditor to this new job having a salary of £65,500. By the time I'm in my mid 30s I'll have about 10 years experience in internal audit in both a public accountancy firm, as well as large international companies. Hopefully by then I'll be a head of internal audit somewhere. That isn't a traditional career path though, and many people have left the firm I'm at for worse exit oppertunities than the one I took, some of them would probably have been better making it to manager at the firm.

If you're happy in the big 4, stick with the big 4 until you feel it would be more advantageous to leave. If you're not happy, then leave. What you shouldn't do is just leave because other people say that's the best thing to do. The only person capable of really spotting oppertunities as they arise is you, so you are better figuring out what it is you're really looking to get out of a job first.

Looks like it won't be my decision...:suicide:

Yesterday, I was called in to a partner's office and told that I was going to be likely laid-off at my next review. I am a first year whose only been working for about 6-7 months. He said he was at the last hearing for me and the other associates and the vibe was not good. Didn't give me a definite when I asked if I was being fired, but said he was pretty sure I was going to be put on the chopping block.

He said it wasn't my attitude or work ethic. From his perspective, he knows I was always checking in, asking for work, being available, and being willing to do what was needed.

He started to give me a lot of advice. He said, for example, I would get two options: either go on a performance improvement plan or I would be allowed to ghost for about two months so I could apply for jobs while still saying I was employed at the company. From his standpoint, I should absolutely avoid the PIP since he has almost never seen it work out, even if they improve performance, and felt I was best off taking this time to setup my resume, do interviews, and have a job setup before I officially leave so everything looks to future employers like I left of my own circumstances. He went into ways of how to spin this at my interview so it sounds better (I didn't fit in with the culture, I was looking for a smaller firm feel, etc).. And just stuff like that.

My timer hasn't started yet because he told me in advance of my hearing. I also don't have to make a choice yet.

My main question is if there was anything he was leaving out. He has a different vantage point than me and, though he was very nice and polite, I have a policy of never trusting anyone I haven't known for a good few years.

It's safe to say my time at the company is done. It's no secret the office is overstaffed, for example, and people of all levels have been complaining about this for quite some time. They even started to walk back things like Senior in three years as a guarantee because work was being split too thin among associates. Their actual growth was half of their projected growth and it's no secret they hired on their projected. No one could make minimum hours during busy season below senior this year or the last year and everyone's metrics were low due to a lack of work for associates. People were getting offers to move to different departments because ours was too full.

I knew that that was going to put pressure on us to stand-out or get cut-off since a month after being hired, but, despite my efforts, looks like I'm still in the later category. In many ways, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in why he said not to do the PIP plan: "We don't have enough work for everyone and we need to let people go so improving your performance will do little." So, I believe him on that.

Or maybe I was just an underperformer and this is a "post-busy season firing" thing and just didn't want to say. Guess I'll found out at the review. Regardless, considering how PIPs work, if the partner is saying it won't work, it probably won't work.

gently caress, I don't know and I ain't in the best headspace right now.

Regardless, my main issue is if he was giving me advice that was to the company's benefit but my detriment?

Also, I'm thinking of going into Industry, but I don't know if that's too soon. I know two other of the Big 4 are having the same problems right now from chatter I've heard in other accounting circles online so I feel like I'll be walking into another layoff. Any advice on that?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

He started to give me a lot of advice. He said, for example, I would get two options: either go on a performance improvement plan or I would be allowed to ghost for about two months so I could apply for jobs while still saying I was employed at the company.

Performance improvement plan aren't there to help staff, they are there to help you justify why you fired them.

Just look for a new job dude, if they ask why you were leaving say you knew they were planning layoffs within the team and you decided to leave instead of risking being left without a job.

Also don't gently caress anyone you're going to be working with next time please.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Performance improvement plan aren't there to help staff, they are there to help you justify why you fired them.

Just look for a new job dude, if they ask why you were leaving say you knew they were planning layoffs within the team and you decided to leave instead of risking being left without a job.

Also don't gently caress anyone you're going to be working with next time please.

Well, that's probably why he told me not to take it and that it never works and to just look for a new job. Guess he was giving me honest advice then. It did seem sincere.

Also, I never hosed him, it was accident as neither of us knew we were accountants, and I think you guys somewhat overestimate how awkward it was.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The partner wasn't doing you a favour, a PIP is hassle for them and their managers too. I mean he was being honest when he said it doesn't work out, because they aren't really designed to, but he's just trying to save hassle. Definetly just look for a new job.

Also I was joking about the loving people you're going to work with comment, I know you're probably stressed but try and relax a little. The worst has already come to pass, it's not like anything else could happen job wise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kitchner posted:

The partner wasn't doing you a favour, a PIP is hassle for them and their managers too. I mean he was being honest when he said it doesn't work out, because they aren't really designed to, but he's just trying to save hassle. Definetly just look for a new job.

Also I was joking about the loving people you're going to work with comment, I know you're probably stressed but try and relax a little. The worst has already come to pass, it's not like anything else could happen job wise.

Yeah, I know. It just sucks having to update my resume and start looking again. I didn't expect to have to do this for another two years.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Have you considered that maybe you might be better suited for a different accounting function? If you weren't a great fit for the role you were in, maybe try looking for different types of roles? I don't know much about what you were doing, but I've gone from tax to finance and I much prefer finance because for me it's turned on my creative thinking (waaay less SALY-based). Just an idea.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I have an interview on Monday about an audit position in public accounting. Not big 4. They want to see my transcript to make sure I'm eligible to sit for the CPA and to weed out dummies.

My GPA was alright, but I got some Bs and a C in accounting, plus a D- in advanced accounting :doh:

I was working a full time job at the time and taking between 15 - 21 credits a semester because I wanted to get it over with, but it's hard to explain away the D- in the field I'm going in to. Is there a way to address that that can make it sound not as bad? Think it will mean the difference between being hired or not?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edited

Covok fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 11, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is the last time I should have to defend it, or at least the last time a company would ask for transcripts, right? The way it was communicated to me is it's mainly to prove I can sit for the exam, but obviously I can.
They told me about applicants with a 2.1 GPA and a 2.4 were turned down due to concerns, and my 3.0 (well 2.994 technically) should be fine.
But I had a 2.4 in accounting classes. Should have studied a bit more...

With a few years in public, and eventually a MS in taxation, firms are going to just focus on experience at that point, right?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Moneyball posted:

I have an interview on Monday about an audit position in public accounting. Not big 4. They want to see my transcript to make sure I'm eligible to sit for the CPA and to weed out dummies.

My GPA was alright, but I got some Bs and a C in accounting, plus a D- in advanced accounting :doh:

I was working a full time job at the time and taking between 15 - 21 credits a semester because I wanted to get it over with, but it's hard to explain away the D- in the field I'm going in to. Is there a way to address that that can make it sound not as bad? Think it will mean the difference between being hired or not?

Just say you had family issues that were affecting your studies at the time. If they ask for details say you'd rather not talk about it as it's pretty upsetting. If they continue to ask you tell them that your grandma died and she was like a mother to you.

Sorry gran, but it's for the greater good.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

What is the most lucrative accounting career path? Accounting specific, not like "be a CFO or a trader" or something. Just curious, someone asked me and I was disappointed to not be able to give them an answer.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

black.lion posted:

What is the most lucrative accounting career path? Accounting specific, not like "be a CFO or a trader" or something. Just curious, someone asked me and I was disappointed to not be able to give them an answer.

Anything where you're a specialist and dealing with huge sums of money.

Real tax experts will get paid a lot, forensic accountants can get paid a lot too. If you deal with big acquisition and merger deals, IPOs, anything like that and you're really good at your job and well connected. Of course then you've always got public accountancy firm Partners, but frankly if you're ruling out CFO you should rule out Partner as well really.

A Finance Director is still an accountancy specific role I would say, because while you can conceivably be a CFO without any actual detailed accounting knowledge, the FD really runs the show and they will be an accountant.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I guessed with high-end forensic or valuation stuff, so not too far off. Yeah he was asking in terms of best paid accounting "trade" or "specialization" I suppose, as opposed to "position that is likely an accountant"

What's the best way to get into forensic? Just do a lot of everything for 6-10 years and then give it a go? My prof. for forensic and investigative told me to just go get my CFE now, which makes me feel like it's a sort of meaningless cert.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Moneyball posted:

Bs and Cs in undergraduate aren't great but they shouldn't kill you. That D- though. Some colleges would not allow a D- to count as a passed class in a major and would require you to retake it before graduation.

Assuming that your Advanced Accounting is roughly the same as the one I've taught (consolidations and partnerships, etc) I would have a hard time taking you seriously for an audit position. For tax it wouldn't bother me as much.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

black.lion posted:

What's the best way to get into forensic? Just do a lot of everything for 6-10 years and then give it a go? My prof. for forensic and investigative told me to just go get my CFE now, which makes me feel like it's a sort of meaningless cert.

Honestly no idea, I would say join a big public accounting firm, perform well, and after you've been there a couple of years speak to your manager and express an interest in forensic accounting, see if they can arrange a meeting with someone from that department and go from there.

With a lot of the specialisations there is a qualification but really it's the experience that gets you paid good money and makes you an "expert".

For example, IT Risk Advisory gets paid more than bog standard Risk Advisory. To land an internal audit job as long as you're a qualified accountant or internal auditor it doesn't really matter in terms of experience, though the more is desirable of course. To get a job as an IT auditor though you probably need CISA, which requires 5 years experience performing IT audit (or 4 years IT audit and 1 year internal audit). No one is going to hire an IT auditor in industry without CISA, but really the qualification isn't the main thing, it's your experience. So yeah you need the qualification as a sort of hygiene factor, but really it's the experience that let's you demand good salaries.

I actually was tempted to cross-train into IT audit so I could say I'm an internal auditor capable of performing IT audits, but that 5 year minimum experience is a real killer with CISA though.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Missing Donut posted:

Bs and Cs in undergraduate aren't great but they shouldn't kill you. That D- though. Some colleges would not allow a D- to count as a passed class in a major and would require you to retake it before graduation.

Assuming that your Advanced Accounting is roughly the same as the one I've taught (consolidations and partnerships, etc) I would have a hard time taking you seriously for an audit position. For tax it wouldn't bother me as much.

Well drat. Now I'm not just concerned about not getting this job but also future ones. Hopefully I have an an understanding interviewer.

What's the solution to that? Finish the CPA first and get good grades in a few program?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Moneyball posted:

Well drat. Now I'm not just concerned about not getting this job but also future ones. Hopefully I have an an understanding interviewer.

What's the solution to that? Finish the CPA first and get good grades in a few program?

Ultimately, the only thing that really matters in public accounting is the CPA and experience. Your GPA is used as a substitute for both early in your career, as an indication of your understanding of accounting and your likelihood of passing the CPA exam.

I never interviewed with a large CPA firm, only smaller ones, but I only had to have transcripts for a potential employer after the interviews to make sure I wasn't lying about my degree. In your case, Just be honest and explain what happened and what you learned from the experience. The earlier you can get started on passing the CPA exam, the better. Pass FAR and nobody will give a poo poo about your Advanced Accounting grade :)

The past is the past and you can only move forward.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is there any tactful way to request a change in team at a Big4 or should I just try to make a lateral move to the competition?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

My gut instinct is get an offer from competition before you ask to be moved, in case you dont like the answer.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Randler posted:

Is there any tactful way to request a change in team at a Big4 or should I just try to make a lateral move to the competition?

Like change groups to a different focus/specialization? Or just get away from a toxic team?

In either case, try to get support for a move from the group you're trying to get to first and frame it as a move to fulfill your professional interests rather than as anything wrong with the current group. I would also time it so you are not leaving anyone in the lurch, like if you're tax, this is probably a good time as busy season is over (for now). We have people transfer from core federal to international all the time, although it usually sets back promotions a year or two as you are starting over with a new group from scratch.

That said, it's pretty easy to lateral to another firm, just make sure you don't burn any bridges.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
A while back I applied for a job with KPMG as an Assistant Manager, heard nothing for ages, then got a phone call, did the phone interview and was told my details would be passed onto a hiring manager, heard nothing back.

At the same time I was applying for the job I've managed to get, which is far better, so I'm happy with that, but annoyed at KPMG for at least not even a standardised email saying "Sorry, no dice".

Today I got a feedback survey from them, so I gave them negative reviews. Take that KPMG :smug:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

black.lion posted:

Generally some kind of IT and accounting hybrid. Usually as a contractor/working for yourself.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Hey y'all, got my final grades so wooo I have a MS Acct now how exciting. Today's task is resume. I know there's a resume thread but I generally know how to write resumes, but I'd love some feedback specific to where I'm at. My goal is to work in tax initially (I just prefer it to audit) and start studying for and taking the sections of the CPA exam shortly, with a long term goal of getting my CPA and then doing whatever the hell I want with it at that point in time (possibly more tax).

- first question requires a brief history - went from BA Literature > internship > a couple admin/editing jobs > pastry/dessert chef > bookkeeping at a state university, where I was trained by "figure it out yourself" and ultimately decided I'd rather go back to school and learn properly and make more money, then Masters and now here; I know my bookkeeping is relevant obviously, but pastry/dessert chef? editing and proofreading health services research grants? I'd rather leave them off but...

Do I leave a huge gaping hole in my resume before August 2014, since nothing before that is relevant? Or do I lay out my whole meandering path in summary? I'm 30 so the question of what I did with my 20s is going to need to be addressed at some point, but don't know if I'd rather do that on resume or in person.

- second question, related to above lack of experience to put on a resume: I finished my program with a 3.7 GPA... should I put that on there? Does anyone care?

- third, I'm having trouble getting an idea of what compensation to expect, in order to negotiate properly and gauge if I'm being ripped off (or being offered a good deal up front); searching glassdoor indeed etc. I'm having trouble separating CPA-having positions and CPA-hopeful positions, and the range is pretty wide. Plus no CPA firms in this area post openings on those sites. Is there any way to derive a reasonable estimate/range for a CPA-candidate type position that I'm just missing?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Do accounting firms look at your social media when hiring or evaluating? I don't have any shameful pics on mine. Mine is mostly picture's of my dog (so maybe a little shameful). But I'm just curious about it in general.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TBeats posted:

Do accounting firms look at your social media when hiring or evaluating? I don't have any shameful pics on mine. Mine is mostly picture's of my dog (so maybe a little shameful). But I'm just curious about it in general.

Probably. It's pretty standard practice to weed out the PR disasters in most office jobs nowadays. If they are stupid enough to post pics of them deep throating a bong or hitler saluting a Nazi flag, they will likely get your company in deep doo doo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TBeats posted:

I know my firm doesn't officially do it but unofficially they do have a quick nosey to see if there's anything obvious.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm on the job hunt now and with the questionable things I've posted over the years, I found it easier to just disable my account for the time being.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

black.lion posted:

Hey y'all, got my final grades so wooo I have a MS Acct now how exciting. Today's task is resume. I know there's a resume thread but I generally know how to write resumes, but I'd love some feedback specific to where I'm at. My goal is to work in tax initially (I just prefer it to audit) and start studying for and taking the sections of the CPA exam shortly, with a long term goal of getting my CPA and then doing whatever the hell I want with it at that point in time (possibly more tax).

- first question requires a brief history - went from BA Literature > internship > a couple admin/editing jobs > pastry/dessert chef > bookkeeping at a state university, where I was trained by "figure it out yourself" and ultimately decided I'd rather go back to school and learn properly and make more money, then Masters and now here; I know my bookkeeping is relevant obviously, but pastry/dessert chef? editing and proofreading health services research grants? I'd rather leave them off but...

Do I leave a huge gaping hole in my resume before August 2014, since nothing before that is relevant? Or do I lay out my whole meandering path in summary? I'm 30 so the question of what I did with my 20s is going to need to be addressed at some point, but don't know if I'd rather do that on resume or in person.

- second question, related to above lack of experience to put on a resume: I finished my program with a 3.7 GPA... should I put that on there? Does anyone care?

- third, I'm having trouble getting an idea of what compensation to expect, in order to negotiate properly and gauge if I'm being ripped off (or being offered a good deal up front); searching glassdoor indeed etc. I'm having trouble separating CPA-having positions and CPA-hopeful positions, and the range is pretty wide. Plus no CPA firms in this area post openings on those sites. Is there any way to derive a reasonable estimate/range for a CPA-candidate type position that I'm just missing?

Congrats! For your resume, one page, max. Yes, include your GPA. Don't include non-relevant experience. Gap doesn't really matter that much since you are getting your first job off the Masters anyway.
Compensation is highly dependent on market and specialization, where are you looking to work? I can give you a pretty good idea what to expect for tax in NYC and DC (60-95 to start, give or take).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kitchner posted:

A while back I applied for a job with KPMG as an Assistant Manager, heard nothing for ages, then got a phone call, did the phone interview and was told my details would be passed onto a hiring manager, heard nothing back.

At the same time I was applying for the job I've managed to get, which is far better, so I'm happy with that, but annoyed at KPMG for at least not even a standardised email saying "Sorry, no dice".

Today I got a feedback survey from them, so I gave them negative reviews. Take that KPMG :smug:

Lol KPMG called me back today and said they wanted to offer me an interview for the AM position and I was like "Ummm nah, sorry you were too slow"

Having "manager" in my title would help as would the big 4 but I think if I'm at this telecoms company for 4 years or so I'll have 9 years IA experience, 2 with a national retailer, 5 with international companies with tens of billions of pounds in revenue, and 2 with a big (not not big 4) accounting firm.

At that point no one will really care about big 4 or not I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My experience with KPMG recruiters is that they straight forgot they booked me for a 9AM interview and showed up 2 hours late. They wanted to reschedule for 6pm later that day. I walked out.