Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

precision posted:

i do not like the aesthetics of binding of isaac. it's me, i'm the guy who cares about things other than gameplay

It's possible to like the gameplay and aesthetics of both, and i am doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pigbuster posted:

Yup. And it was because they made ever-increasing demands without providing any more resources, just like Scalebound. Microsoft needs to stop telling developers what to do because they're wicked bad at it.

wait, that's what happened with scalebound? is there a thing on this? i saw the one on phantom dust, but i assumed scalebound was just hideki kamiya going loving insane with way too much money and making a mess of game cause he thought it was cool

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

i do not like the aesthetics of binding of isaac. it's me, i'm the guy who cares about things other than gameplay

I disliked the aesthetic of both Isaac and Gungeon, but at least Isaac actually felt like someone's legitimate artistic statement and not the exact same cookie cutter Adult Swim look as half a dozen other games like Gungeon .

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Guy Mann posted:

I disliked the aesthetic of both Isaac and Gungeon, but at least Isaac actually felt like someone's legitimate artistic statement and not the exact same cookie cutter Adult Swim look as half a dozen other games like Gungeon .

Looking like an adult swim game makes it derivative but newgrounds is art

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Colonel posted:

wait, that's what happened with scalebound? is there a thing on this? i saw the one on phantom dust, but i assumed scalebound was just hideki kamiya going loving insane with way too much money and making a mess of game cause he thought it was cool

i dunno why you'd assume that when microsoft has a long history of loving over developers

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

xedo posted:

Be sure to check every chest twice for maximum whimsy. Seriously.

I had no idea about this so thank you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kewpuh posted:

dont even get me started on chrono cross or so help me!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYO0miVa40

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The poo poo rear end fetus abortion game is a legitimate artistic statement. I like isaac's gameplay but the aesthetic is terrible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Really Pants posted:

SC didn't have chest messages originally, but I think they've been added since I played it last.

The 3rd's got them too, but a fair few of them are something like "OH GOD WE'VE RUN OUT OF CHEST MESSAGES" :allears:

If I recall correctly, the chest messages weren't in the Japanese version. The localization is just that good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

i dunno why you'd assume that when microsoft has a long history of loving over developers

because i can believe that if you rolled up to hideki kamiya with a truckload of money and said "make us a game with everything you think is really cool" he would spend a literal eternity making it and at the end of that eternity put out a super awesome game that just so happened to be 600 hours long but also ridiculously overdue

microsoft might have a long history of loving over developers, but hideki kamiya has a long history of being hideki kamiya, which isn't a negative but man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

enter the gungeon and isaac are both bad for different reasons, where bad here is defined as not nuclear throne, king of kings, blessed be

sounds like nuclear throne would be extremely my poo poo then

FauxLeather posted:

It's possible to like the gameplay and aesthetics of both, and i am doing it

oh i'm sure. isaac's imagery just turns me off really bad. i wish it didn't, as it does seem like a really fun game, but i can't get past it.

i have the opposite problem with Crypt of the NecroDancer, the art style of that game (and the music/sounds) are so good that i look past the extremely simple gameplay (simple, but good)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

If I recall correctly, the chest messages weren't in the Japanese version. The localization is just that good

They're purely an invention of the loc team having fun with a programming quirk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The concepts and implications of Isaac are utterly horrifying but the actual art is so cutesy it doesn't bother me. It helps that it's really great to play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

because i can believe that if you rolled up to hideki kamiya with a truckload of money and said "make us a game with everything you think is really cool" he would spend a literal eternity making it and at the end of that eternity put out a super awesome game that just so happened to be 600 hours long but also ridiculously overdue

microsoft might have a long history of loving over developers, but hideki kamiya has a long history of being hideki kamiya, which isn't a negative but man

idgi. its pretty well discussed that the game morphed into a 4 player online thing that platinum didn't want it to be. MS has cancelled like 6 big games around scalebound but maybe you're right and the guy responsible for many short and focused action games over his entire career was making a star citizen. maybe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
A lot of the messages in trails 3rd are fan submitted because the localization director was told to come up with 170 unique ones and freaked out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Add me to the list of the people that can't get past Isaac's aesthetic. I even respect it as the legitimate artistic statement that it is, like Piss Christ, but I'm not being asked to spend hours pressed up against Piss Christ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

! my video!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Add me to the list of the people that can't get past Isaac's aesthetic. I even respect it as the legitimate artistic statement that it is, like Piss Christ, but I'm not being asked to spend hours pressed up against Piss Christ

Games chat: Casual Serrano references. Best gen chat on the forums!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The White Dragon posted:

suddenly i'm reminded of why i don't play civ 4 anymore, it's because all-or-nothing losing units in one attack is top level bullshit and i just threw 20 veteran units at a city with three unpromoted defenders who were a tech era behind and lost them all, and then i got attacked by eight units at a city with six defenders who were a tech era ahead and lost the city

also because unlike civ 5, the ai can spawn units for free, because how else does a 4-population city produce a ten-unit army in eight turns

It's not a real Civ game until a Phalanx unit with a bronze spear takes out a battleship bombarding it from the shore line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's not a real Civ game until a Phalanx unit with a bronze spear takes out a battleship bombarding it from the shore line.

Even in Civ 5 I routinely have Archers protecting my cities until well into the Industrial Age :j:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ya, this is fine, I just get annoyed with people who look at it and go "ugh this is just dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords" and don't recognize that its incredibly dark subject matter (and goofy attitude toward it) is actually trying to communicate something about the experience of child abuse and its relationship with religion, as well as the relationship between religion and roguelike mechanics (because roguelikes are the ultimate example of games that dump you in an uncaring, chaotic universe and it's really interesting in that context how mechanically important religion is to huge ones like nethack and crawl)

isaac's aesthetics are gross and themes are unpleasant, and i'm okay with people not wanting to live in them, but they aren't dumb

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

wizard on a water slide posted:

ya, this is fine, I just get annoyed with people who look at it and go "ugh this is just dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords" and don't recognize that its incredibly dark subject matter (and goofy attitude toward it) is actually trying to communicate something about the experience of child abuse and its relationship with religion, as well as the relationship between religion and roguelike mechanics (because roguelikes are the ultimate example of games that dump you in an uncaring, chaotic universe and it's really interesting in that context how mechanically important religion is to huge ones like nethack and crawl)

isaac's aesthetics are gross and themes are unpleasant, and i'm okay with people not wanting to live in them, but they aren't dumb

i've always thought of it as dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords, but if i'm wrong that makes me significantly more interested in actually playing it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I like the heavy themes of the 7 different bean items that make you fart in different ways

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Problem Sleuth posted:

i've always thought of it as dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords, but if i'm wrong that makes me significantly more interested in actually playing it

the first big bad is your mom who tries to crush you in the womb so its like pretty unsubtle messaging through the language of pee pee poo pee. if you're as hosed up as the creator it might be good therapy but nobody is playing isaac for those themes i would imagine, its a fun little game engine that has some people addicted

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Problem Sleuth posted:

It's boneheaded and ugly and I hate the look of the game and I have like 200 hours in it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not saying it's not that thing at all, but there's something going on with it other than that

and yeah the reason to play it is because the gameplay owns

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ya, this is fine, I just get annoyed with people who look at it and go "ugh this is just dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords"

People could totally be forgiven for thinking so, since Super Meat Boy was also dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords with the same lovely ugly art style, without the excuse of ~×~ deep n dark themez ~×~

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

@corn
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512060/Stay_Stay_Democratic_Peoples_Republic_of_Korea/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

People could totally be forgiven for thinking so, since Super Meat Boy was also dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords with the same lovely ugly art style, without the excuse of ~×~ deep n dark themez ~×~

well, that and an awesome platformer, yeah

idk, I think making a roguelike about religion is cool given the role it plays in the genre despite the games being godless random universes, sUE ME

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There is not God but Gun God *airhorn sample*

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

b b b b b b b b

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oddly enough i had no problem with the aesthetics of Super Meat Boy, maybe because they're much easier to ignore

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

oddly enough i had no problem with the aesthetics of Super Meat Boy, maybe because they're much easier to ignore

Super meat boy is gross and edgy on top of a colorful world.

Isaac is poo poo on blood on vomit on poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Problem Sleuth posted:

Its a little cheesy and on the nose but as someone who grew up thinking Dungeons and Dragons was satanic and going to youth group meetings where they burned Nirvana CDs and poo poo it's sort of comforting playing a game that acknowledges that background

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Big Man Tyrone is advocating for it, so you know it's good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

The poo poo rear end fetus abortion game is a legitimate artistic statement. I like isaac's gameplay but the aesthetic is terrible

Imo it is an artistic statement, mainly the creator's attempt at showcasing the horrors of religious extremism through the nightmares of a little kid

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Admittedly, several friends have joked that it should be called the "Binding of Kite" so of course I'm gonna end up liking what it did with its aesthetic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

There is not God but Gun God *airhorn sample*

oh ya, in any case my pro-isaac stance should not be interpreted as anti-gungeon or nuclear throne; they're all good games

honestly the rise of indies and creation of a broad and accessible pc gaming marketplace has lead to a world with an abundance of good games of every type, and it fills my heart to bursting...

2017 has been a good year for major studios so far too

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

oh ya, in any case my pro-isaac stance should not be interpreted as anti-gungeon or nuclear throne; they're all good games

honestly the rise of indies and creation of a broad and accessible pc gaming marketplace has lead to a world with an abundance of good games of every type, and it fills my heart to bursting...

2017 has been a good year for major studios so far too

Isaac and Nuclear Throne are good, Gungeon has an enormous amount of problems but it isn't "bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I always associate "edgy" humor with laughing at downtrodden people, so it feels weird calling Isaac edgy since Edmund is basically telling an exaggerated story about his own childhood with all the good (pets, video games, toys, imaginary friends from the bible, fart jokes) and the bad (pets dying, imaginary scary people from the bible, believing you are inherently sinful and made your parents break up). It feels like he's riffing on himself more than anything.

I can get finding it too ugly to handle but at least "cute monsters made of poop/corpses" is unique, and unique does a lot for me.

• Locked thread