Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Phil Kessel is fully sick and probably smokes weed with his sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

cenotaph posted:

I think someone in the GDT asked for this.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

if the pens win the cup, hand knit and iospace will give everyone a kesseltar

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

phil kessel is a national treasure

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

yeah but give them a break, it was against that vaunted Penguins defensive corps

*5/6 of that vaunted d corps

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

cenotaph posted:

I think someone in the GDT asked for this.

guffawed out loud in my bathroom and got my wife out of bed, thanks for that

fancy stats posted:

I missed the game, but this happened?

https://twitter.com/Spacecam/status/864296334307844096

https://twitter.com/MarcPDumont/status/864297364655415296

Because it's the playoffs.

e: And sure, a GWG or something, idk.

He was mad because he wanted a second hotdog and couldn't get one

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol some people honestly still believe Phil is lazy.

Phil the Thrill owns.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Matt Tkachuck is still my favorite hockey player in the world.

Phil Kessel is my favorite hockey player right now, and I hope he retires in 4 years with 5 cups and opens a hotdog stand in TO.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
That single clip makes me forgive Kunitz's last two years of 'meh' play.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Jonny Nox posted:

Matt Tkachuck is still my favorite hockey player in the world.

Phil Kessel is my favorite hockey player right now, and I hope he retires in 4 years with 5 cups and opens a hotdog stand in TO.

He should be in a sports net special in Ontario where he is picking people up in an uber so finally he can drive the fans out of Toronto.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Benson Cunningham posted:

That single clip makes me forgive Kunitz's last two years of 'meh' play.

Kunitz is bringing some pretty decent play as of late. I'll take it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Waking up to a 1-0 win is a lot better than the 8-5 loss I had while dreaming. I believe Fleury got pulled after 3, then Murray came in, got injured and we were forced to put in Jarry and he let in a shitload.

It's also not so good reading reports about more and more people getting injured :dogge:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Just your yearly reminder that Phil's perceived "doesn't play the game the right way/locker room cancer" character issues originated from Jack Johnson, who is probably not the best judge of character.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Craig Anderson posted:

I caught an edge. It sucks.

Dude you could've fallen flat on your face and knocked it in with your rear end, wouldn't change the fact that the other 20 guys went almost 20 minutes without shooting.

Sounds like someone's getting frustrated with a system...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I didn't think I'd want the Penguins to win this series, but I really don't want to watch Ottawa play anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

lol some people honestly still believe Phil is lazy.

Phil the Thrill owns.

I don't want the pens to win the cup but I can not bring myself to hate Phil Kessel at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

Just your yearly reminder that Phil's perceived "doesn't play the game the right way/locker room cancer" character issues originated from Jack Johnson, who is probably not the best judge of character.

Uh I'm pretty sure it originated in his testicles.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I didn't think I'd want the Penguins to win this series, but I really don't want to watch Ottawa play anymore.

So, in a series between ANYONE v Pens we have independent SAS posters wanting that "anyone but the Pens" team to lose. If this isn't an indictment of how dreadful Bouchers coaching is from an entertainment angle, then I don't know what to tell you.

Hell, last nights 1-0 game was more exciting than the 2-1 overtime specifically because the Sens couldn't get to their game.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

You look at Phil Kessel, and it just boggles the mind that this man who looks like the Ur Goon stumbling around skates, half-tripping until until he reaches speeds that just seem to defy the laws of physics relative to his body type -- chasing pucks, red-faced and trying to meekly forecheck, wheeling around like a kid on figure skates, lurking in the slot while desperately trying not to topple over forward while he fumble fucks around with the puck on his stick. It's fascinating watching how fast he somehow gets into his shooting motion, and unleashes that wrist shot.

I just can't get enough of him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phil Kessel has a special exemption from the NHL's drug policies because his hot dog consumption is so high that his growth hormone levels are above normal.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Kessel is proof that if you eat enough hot dogs your dreams can come true.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

You look at Phil Kessel, and it just boggles the mind that this man who looks like the Ur Goon stumbling around skates, half-tripping until until he reaches speeds that just seem to defy the laws of physics relative to his body type -- chasing pucks, red-faced and trying to meekly forecheck, wheeling around like a kid on figure skates, lurking in the slot while desperately trying not to topple over forward while he fumble fucks around with the puck on his stick. It's fascinating watching how fast he somehow gets into his shooting motion, and unleashes that wrist shot.

Some article on I think deadspin wrote that every Phil Kessel goal is a fat guy touchdown, and I think that nailed it pretty well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Some article on I think deadspin wrote that every Phil Kessel goal is a fat guy touchdown, and I think that nailed it pretty well.

Yeah they took a picture of phil just in a regular t-shirt and sent it aroudn to people asking what they thought he did for a career. They got amazing responses

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

related: byfuglien, dustin

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

That's apt

E; the fat guy TD analogy, that is

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We're getting awfully close to the "Phil Kessel is a big* game player" narrative and I love it.

*lol hotdogs

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

He had 22 (10g/12a) points in 24 games last year. Right now he's sitting on 14 points in 14 games.

And that doesn't even mention all the intangibles he brings to the table. Like relish and mustard.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

We're getting awfully close to the "Phil Kessel is a big* game player" narrative and I love it.

*lol hotdogs

Apart from Steve Simmons did anyone ever doubt that? He's been a force every time he's been in the playoffs across three different teams.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
In news probably everyone in SAS will enjoy, Steiggy is being replaced by Steve Mears as Penguins PBP man: https://twitter.com/penguins/status/864488354565455872/photo/1

e: Apparently Steiggy is heading to the front office in some capacity. Hopefully as a hot dog vendor

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 16, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't really like Steve Mears but it's certainly an upgrade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Apart from Steve Simmons did anyone ever doubt that? He's been a force every time he's been in the playoffs across three different teams.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Kessel was dogged by a reputation for laziness and disinterested play up to and including his first few months in Pittsburgh. Seriously, google "Phil Kessel lazy" and marvel at all the incredibly original articles about how the Penguins should be buyer beware with him and/or the immediate dogpile on his play during the Pens' early season slump last year.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

a vuvuzela constantly being blown is an upgrade on steigerwald

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think it was just a Toronto thing too. I don't remember him being anything but popular in Boston, but I also didn't really consume a lot of mainstream garbage media or have twitter in 2008 or whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

He's not exactly brimming with personality but he won't be an obnoxious homer at least and he seems knowledgeable.

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Kessel was dogged by a reputation for laziness and disinterested play up to and including his first few months in Pittsburgh. Seriously, google "Phil Kessel lazy" and marvel at all the incredibly original articles about how the Penguins should be buyer beware with him and/or the immediate dogpile on his play during the Pens' early season slump last year.

Which is funny because iirc Kessel was one of the few guys playing well last year during that early season slump. It was like him and Malkin scoring and everyone else being a gigantic turd.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Can never unsee Steve Mears = the guy from Lasagna Cat

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

In news probably everyone in SAS will enjoy, Steiggy is being replaced by Steve Mears as Penguins PBP man:

Well that's interesting, I thought Steiggy would be around forever. I wouldn't mind the change of pace.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

In news probably everyone in SAS will enjoy, Steiggy is being replaced by Steve Mears as Penguins PBP man: https://twitter.com/penguins/status/864488354565455872/photo/1

e: Apparently Steiggy is heading to the front office in some capacity. Hopefully as a hot dog vendor

I am so happy about this news that I don't even care if the Senators win now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mears is boring but a light post is an upgrade over Steigerwald so cool.

In real news, let's talk about how Evgeni Malkin is literally worthless and terrible

Signed,
every yinzer I encounter, without fail

• Locked thread