Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

You laugh but...

It's an article in some German promotional magazine about a Japanese guy who built a cucumber classifier using Google cloud ML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Bighead's female student was Luke's daughter on Gilmore Girl's where she was the worst. That's all I could see when they were in class.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Bighead's female student is going to bang Bighead. Calling it now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Calling it now: Laurie's baby is Erlich's.
There is less than zero chance Erlich would be able to avoid bragging about this though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really don't know how you'd even leap to that conclusion. I'd say there's more of a chance of it being that Chinese dude that replaced Monica. Because at least she's talked about that guy this season.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I predict that Gavin Belson is gonna play it 100% straight and be loyal to the new partnership and try earnestly to succeed as a business and develop the new internet project, and Richard is going to gently caress him over in a spectacular fashion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My buddy thinks the same thing, but that Richard is going to gently caress over all of his friends and partners. I could see it, but it would be out of the norm for this show. My honest guess is they're gonna find a way to end the season like every other season. With the guys clawing their way back up again.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

My buddy thinks the same thing, but that Richard is going to gently caress over all of his friends and partners. I could see it, but it would be out of the norm for this show. My honest guess is they're gonna find a way to end the season like every other season. With the guys clawing their way back up again.

the zuckerberg movie was foreshadowing

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
something something Chekhov's Zuck

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Richard just walked into Gavin's home, mocked him to his face and set his couch on fire. Gavin's on the money, he's a bad guy.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Wrong, that's a hot dog right there.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

MiddleOne posted:

Richard just walked into Gavin's home, mocked him to his face and set his couch on fire. Gavin's on the money, he's a bad guy.

Yeah but Gavin is too, they deserve each other. Too bad about Jared and Gilfoyle getting dragged into this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A few people here hoped Gilfoyle would get knocked off his high horse like Dinesh; so I liked the little deconstruction of his character by Jared.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

I called it earlier that Jared's either going to kill him or TRY to kill him after learning he's had a hand in turning another SV tech genius into a legendary rear end in a top hat.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Oh, I'm not hiring her. She uses spaces instead of tab.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Thought it was a weak episode overall until the end, and my stomach is still hurting from laughing. Ho lee poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was thinking that Mia being an elite hacker is purely manufactured by Gilfoyle in order to get Dinesh to poo poo his pants, but then that seems TOO obvious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

I was thinking that Mia being an elite hacker is purely manufactured by Gilfoyle in order to get Dinesh to poo poo his pants, but then that seems TOO obvious.

I think she'll be integral in getting Richard's new internet to work, but Gilfoyle will be convinced she put all sorts of backdoors in it for herself and go full on ~Aspie OCD freakout~ and tank the launch or say something to the wrong person.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hope when they decide to wrap the show they write a storyline of the gang accidentally creating a rogue AI that devastates all technology or something like that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

priznat posted:

I hope when they decide to wrap the show they write a storyline of the gang accidentally creating a rogue AI that devastates all technology or something like that.

We are being watched (by Not Hotdog)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Found a post on HN about the app and some guy who says he (or his team) developed the thing:

quote:

It uses embedded TensorFlow on device (better availability, better speed, better privacy, $0 cost), with a custom neural net inspired by last month's MobileNets paper, built & trained Keras.

About the training set:

quote:

About 150k total images, 3k of which were hotdogs. The results are far from perfect (there's ton of subtle — or hilarious — ways to trick the app) but it was better than using a pre-trained model or doing transfer learning, accuracy-wise (honestly it was even better than using Cloud APIs). As for the difficulty I'll say I definitely empathize with Dinesh and Jian Yang’s feelings in episode 4 :D

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Found a post on HN about the app and some guy who says he (or his team) developed the thing:

About the training set:
So tl;dr they're using the standard, state of the art neural net tech you'd use for this kind of thing. (The technobabble by the female student was perfectly accurate from what I can tell.)
You could probably roll this setup at home if you have a gaming pc and a few hours to kill.

I agree with everyone, this episode was another highlight. I love this show. It's getting a bit predictable on the Karma front, but it's not any less hilarious than it used to. I hope they stay with the machine learning theme for a while because I understand that stuff a bit better than the other tech inside jokes :v:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dunno how accurate the tech aspect if this show is, but this show is so god drat funny.

It's very accurate, both in its portrayal of technology (aside from the fictional Weissman score and Richard's breakthrough algorithm) as well as the Silicon Valley life and culture. Some things are obviously played up a bit for comedic effect, but I know people with Richard's neurosis or Gilfoyle's stoic cynicism. And yes, sometimes engineers will get caught up coming up with solutions to hypothetical problems like jerking off a room full of dudes.

The very first scene of the show, where Kid Rock is playing at a big company meeting and nobody there seems to even know who he is, has happened to me before. We couldn't afford Kid Rock, but we had the Soft White Sixties come to an event, and there was maybe 5-10 people actually sitting in the chairs watching essentially a free concert.

Mike Judge is a master of satire, and I'm very pleased that he decided to take on Silicon Valley.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As an engineer the brainstorming solutions to the room jerking off scene was so incredibly accurate it was almost painful. I have worked with some incredibly obsessive problem solvers no matter the effort to improve a process/program/product even the tiniest amount. It can be in things no way related to the job or even their technical background.

The rest of society should be glad for tech companies and silicon valley in particular because it keeps these folks away from the normies.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

and rooms full of people needing to get jerked off

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dunno how accurate the tech aspect if this show is, but this show is so god drat funny.

The culture is, sadly, pretty spot-on. Tech varies -- the core idea is completely made-up -- but is pretty solid.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The best Mike Judge creations always manage to be offbeat enough to be hilarious, but also so in-tune with the culture it's mocking that it's disturbingly accurate. I've heard people from Texas call King of the Hill a documentary.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My only beef with Not Hotdog is that when you tap Share, it just shares a stock image of a hot dog with Jin Yang. Which is cool, but I want to share the stupid pictures I take with a NOT HOTDOG caption.

Also, it identified my dad as a hot dog.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is he a dick?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

get that OUT of my face posted:

The best Mike Judge creations always manage to be offbeat enough to be hilarious, but also so in-tune with the culture it's mocking that it's disturbingly accurate. I've heard people from Texas call King of the Hill a documentary.

I desperately need to rewatch King of the Hill. That show was so loving spot on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When Hank thinks he'll have zero problem taking on a pimp voiced by Snoop Dog and Peggy warns him about the dangers and Hank says "He's from Oklahoma."

You seriously can't get more perfect Texas than that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

i am the bird posted:

I desperately need to rewatch King of the Hill. That show was so loving spot on.

Its amazing how much better that show was then any other animated comedy.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I could write better Python with my rear end in a top hat
I am glad to see the TV show about programmers namedrop the only programming language I can actually learn. And there I was thinking it was totally impractical!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pentyne posted:

Its amazing how much better that show was then any other animated comedy.

That's a ridiculous thing to say, it doesn't hold a candle to the Simpsons in it's glory years.

King of the Hill was solid, but there's entirely too many Peggy or Bobby centred episodes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah South Park is better too.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PittTheElder posted:

That's a ridiculous thing to say, it doesn't hold a candle to the Simpsons in it's glory years.

King of the Hill was solid, but there's entirely too many Peggy or Bobby centred episodes.

If you rewatch those programs today, I think you will have a different opinion. Maybe not though, I can't comprehend how 'Bobby centred' is a negative.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My only beef with Not Hotdog is that when you tap Share, it just shares a stock image of a hot dog with Jin Yang. Which is cool, but I want to share the stupid pictures I take with a NOT HOTDOG caption.
Think about that for a second.

Edit: well I guess it's still on you if you post a dick with NOT HOTDOG or possibly HOTDOG but they probably don't want their app involved

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Somberbrero posted:

If you rewatch those programs today, I think you will have a different opinion. Maybe not though, I can't comprehend how 'Bobby centred' is a negative.

I'm actually rewatching the Simpsons right now; the first two seasons are real rough, season three is all over the place but has some real gems, four and five (where I'm at currently) have been solid loving gold. Most of these are chock full lot of memorable lines and gags.

"Chock full lot of memorable lines and gags" isn't really a line I'd use to describe King of the Hill, even though it was pretty good. And nah, Bobby is a drag, especially all the interactions with Connie and Joseph. He's loving amazing as a foil for Hank, but he's not a particularly interesting character on his own. Literally the only funny thing I can remember Bobby doing is the "that's my purse I don't know you" bit.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 17, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Late-era Peggy episodes lean hard into her worse qualities until she's just an oblivious rear end in a top hat all the time instead of being just kind of conceited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A professor I know had somehow completely missed the entirety of television after Knight Rider (she was too busy backpacking the world and being extremely successful as a scientist at a young age), but for some reason the one thing she knows is Silicon Valley. I feel she's gonna be terribly disappointed now that she's gonna spend her maternity leave watching television shows.

• Locked thread