Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Trump has been spilling secrets since BEFORE he got sworn in. This is not a new thing he is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Trump Crisis of the Week™.....

The problem is that this, in theory, erodes the nice relationship between our military and civilian government, right? I mean if the head of state shows any sign of being a wildcard all bets have to be off among those intelligence and military folk who work regardless of administration.

The other thing is, this broke 9:00pm ET. I don't recall with certainty but this doesn't seem like the first time another loving Trump thing came up around what I might assume is the lagging hour of people viewing news. I'm not questioning that Trump hosed up, but this weekly spectacle of scandal at the late news hour (to be developed tomorrow) is getting to be real tired.

And apparently because -reasons- we don't know exactly what the information was that Trump leaked?

I'm turning into a conspiracy theorist because in all this confusion I just see some rear end in a top hat's long game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Peetown Manning posted:

And apparently because -reasons- we don't know exactly what the information was that Trump leaked?

It concerned the laptop bomb intel thats been going around the news

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I want someone like preet bharara to run. There is going to be a lot of animosity towards corruption and cronyism so someone with a history of prosecuting corruption would do well.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
He provided intel from an allied source in ISIS pertaining to airplane bombing plans with laptops.

He has the authority to do that.

The optics are awful, and there might be blowback from our allies.. but Trump is entirely within his discretion to do this.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Probably the most legal thing he's done with Russia to be honest.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It concerned the laptop bomb intel thats been going around the news

Thank you. Now that I read something other than the NYT I see that detail.

Sounds like something that threatens civilians and legitimate to share with Russia right?

Unless he disclosed how he got the information right?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

I want someone like preet bharara to run. There is going to be a lot of animosity towards corruption and cronyism so someone with a history of prosecuting corruption would do well.

Better hope he doesn't like prostitutes.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

ded posted:

Trump has been spilling secrets since BEFORE he got sworn in. This is not a new thing he is doing.

There is a difference between spilling secrets and completely loving up the ability to work with foreign contacts under the table for sweet sweet intel that actually helps protect this country.

Trump did the latter.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

He provided intel from an allied source in ISIS pertaining to airplane bombing plans with laptops.

He has the authority to do that.

The optics are awful, and there might be blowback from our allies.. but Trump is entirely within his discretion to do this.

Yes its legal. Thats not the problem.

Its selling out sources who were operating under a "tell no one" agreement with probably the CIA. He just ruined a very important intel tool. You know better than most of us what a gently caress up this was.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The only people that really ~get~ what a big deal handling sensitive information is are people that get directly involved in it. To someone like Trump it's just abstract bullshit that does not apply to them. So they will go and think it's really no big deal to say something that will end up getting someone killed because naaaah that won't happen!

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Whats real loving stupid about this is how we are going to have to hear that rust belt voters don't care because *JOBS*.

Motherfuckers who don't care about this are straight loving retarded. He just hosed our national security. No reasonable intel agency outside of the US should work with us until Trump, Pence, the entire administration and the GOP propping him up is out of the government. Our own Intel agencies shouldn't be briefing him on the god drat traffic conditions in DC he is that loving incompetent and dangerous.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, those dipshits were singing "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye" at Republicans after the AHCA passed.

This is a reference to the GOP singing the same thing at the Democrats in 1993 as they passed Clinton's tax bill and swept Congress via Newt Gingrich's Contract with America, FYI.

There's not many people in the House that remember that, fewer still on the Republican side, and it wasn't something that got publicized in the wake of the House actually passing the AHCA.

quote:

They're convinced that Republicans will gently caress up, and voters will just come crawling back without them having to change a thing.

This, on the other hand, is a valid point with a caveat:

There's far fewer "moderates" than you'd expect from polling. A sizable number of Republicans identify as "moderate" or "independent", simply because they don't want to be associated with the frothing lunatics of the GOP. Democrats, up until recently, didn't have this problem because the party itself is centrist enough that if you weren't going to call yourself a Democrat, you're either a Republican or vote for a lunatic third party. Basically, politics as SEC college football affiliation means that there's no room for moderates and the general public doesn't shift except in reaction to major events (Civil Rights Act turning the South from permanent Democrat to permanent Republican, etc).

If the Democrats want to take back control of the government, they're not going to do so by chasing down Republican-lite voters with Republican-lite policies. They need to stake out a firm position on the left, in contrast to Trump and the GOP, and offer a viable alternative. If they don't do this, they are royally hosed. It's easy to vote against Trump and cause a wave in the House, but that's not going to amount to anything if the newly-appointed Democrats push Diet GOP policies in the end.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Oh wow, a 147 new post I wonder what hap- :stare:

I wonder how he's going to top this one.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Genocide Tendency posted:

There is a difference between spilling secrets and completely loving up the ability to work with foreign contacts under the table for sweet sweet intel that actually helps protect this country.

Trump did the latter.

Yes its legal. Thats not the problem.

Its selling out sources who were operating under a "tell no one" agreement with probably the CIA. He just ruined a very important intel tool. You know better than most of us what a gently caress up this was.

Oh no doubt but it's an entirely legal gently caress up, just wanted to emphasize that.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If you want to forget that we're in the worst timeline, twitch is streaming every Mr. Rogers episode ever.

If everyone just listened to his lessons we wouldn't be here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

If you want to forget that we're in the worst timeline, twitch is streaming every Mr. Rogers episode ever.

If everyone just listened to his lessons we wouldn't be here.

Twitch also does a Bob Ross Joy of Painting marathon from time to time. Twitch does good things sometimes, their community is garbage but its hilarious watching 5000 people type "Beat the devil outta it" when Bob goes HAM on a brush after dipping it in paint thinner.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Twitch also does a Bob Ross Joy of Painting marathon from time to time. Twitch does good things sometimes, their community is garbage but its hilarious watching 5000 people type "Beat the devil outta it" when Bob goes HAM on a brush after dipping it in paint thinner.

Somehow Rogers (and possibly an iron fist of moderation) thinned out the normal twitch cesspool.

For that alone, I tossed some cash to the Detroit PBS cuz they need it more than NY.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Somehow Rogers (and possibly an iron fist of moderation) thinned out the normal twitch cesspool.

For that alone, I tossed some cash to the Detroit PBS cuz they need it more than NY.

Theyre not as raucous during PBS stuff like bob ross or mr rogers marathons, its kind of weird what calms the twitch beast.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

orange juche posted:

The Twitch stream is also responsible for the most recent update of SMITE, Happy Trees!

massive size here if you want it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how does washington post know trump leaked to the russians?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Reverand maynard posted:

Maybe the Russians leaked it to WaPO just to troll Trump :v: .

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

since we live in the worst timeline, Trump could have seriously gotten out of that meeting and exclaimed "do you believe they weren't impressed until I told them [blah]?!" to a room full of :catstare: staffers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Maybe the Russians leaked it to WaPO just to troll Trump :v: .

I mean, there are only a handful of options on how what was said between Trump and the foreign minister and ambassador was made public. The russians told themselves told wapo, after the meeting trump bragged about how he impressed the russians to his staff who told wapo, trump is recording everything in the oval office and whoever operates the recording devices leaked it, or something else loving insane. Wasn't it just trump and the two russians in the meeting?

Alright, I'm gonna take a trip into batshit insane territory right now. The russians found out through Flynn or some other source the details of the intel being shared on isis. During the meeting trump doesn't even talk about isis BUT afterwards the russians leak something true to wapo (details about an intel source in ISIS) but lie about how they found out blaming it all on Trump. This results in everyone believing wapo's story and sowing even more chaos in our IC, or the story is proven false undermining the credibility of our news.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's not really batshit insane territory. I'm just going with my version of events because yes, he IS that stupid. At this point who knows what the Russians are capable of w/r/t blackmail.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

The impression that I got was right after the meeting they realized that Trump verbally poo poo out our non disclosure intel so they had to notify the CIA and NSA, then scrub all the internal memos of important details. It wasn't that someone inside the meeting leaked the details, it was someone involved in trying to cover up and do damage control.

Apparently WaPo has all the details on exactly what was said, down to the actual intel that was spilled. It is so accurate and detailed that they called people in the IC/White house to find out what they needed to cut out so they didn't get our intel source killed.

WaPo: more responsible with national security than the president.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm trying to imagine the life of the most hardcore undercover agent, a true master of obfuscation and improvisation who struggles daily between all of the constructed personalities and intricate web of lies he's developed to blend in seamlessly. A tragically romantic figure with no real home, who lives with the noble fatalism that he is in the end, fallible, and will one day be caught and killed, unmourned and unloved, ten thousand miles from a country he swore to protect. His sole solace is the treasured knowledge that his life and death had purpose, and that he will have met his end in defense of others.

Then the ISIS headsman takes the bag off his head and presses an ipad into his bound hands with that Washington Post article on it.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 16, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/864436162567471104
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/864438529472049152

Yes, I realize he's legally allowed to do this.

Also, :laffo: if anyone actually buys this.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 16, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/864436162567471104

Oh man.

Yes, I realize he's legally allowed to do this.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/864437368035606529

:lol:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Supporters will absolutely buy that and turn it back around on those heartless un humane liberals

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So once again Trump basically contradicted all of the damage control his communications office did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was the Russian camera crew there when he decided to share this?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Unlike Spicer, I'm already looking forward today's press briefing :getin:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well, Donnie just threw all his national security people under the bus by confirming that story, which also means that Tillerson, Dina Powell, and McMaster all lied or covered poo poo up. Only Mattis has a shred of belivability left.

Everything Donnie touches dies.

Edit: recap https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/864448127813783552

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 16, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Well, Donnie just threw all his national security people under the bus by confirming that story, which also means that Tillerson, Dina Powell, and McMaster all lied or covered poo poo up. Only Mattis has a shred of belivability left.

You left someone off that list.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/864441736147476480

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Hey Russia why don't you clean up our mess. K THX

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
..... and he's watching Fox and Friends

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/864453777054732289

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The NATO article is incredibly worrying in light of these events.

quote:

NATO is scrambling to tailor its upcoming meeting to avoid taxing President Donald Trump’s notoriously short attention span. The alliance is telling heads of state to limit talks to two to four minutes at a time during the discussion, several sources inside NATO and former senior U.S. officials tell Foreign Policy. And the alliance scrapped plans to publish the traditional full post-meeting statement meant to crystallize NATO’s latest strategic stance

Literally our foreign leader is too loving dumb to allow NATO to push out a new roadmap...in light of Russian aggression and their renewed efforts to establish and expand (god forgive me for the term) their "sphere of influence".

quote:

“It’s kind of ridiculous how they are preparing to deal with Trump,” said one source briefed extensively on the meeting’s preparations. “It’s like they’re preparing to deal with a child — someone with a short attention span and mood who has no knowledge of NATO, no interest in in-depth policy issues, nothing,” said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “They’re freaking out.”

President of the United States guys, President of the United loving States. the world is calling our leader a retarded child.

quote:

Another change: NATO traditionally publishes a formal readout, known as a declaration, after each major meeting or summit. While they’re often lathered in diplomatic drivel, declarations signal new strategies and key policy shifts that come out of closed-door meetings, giving direction to allies and the NATO bureaucracy — and showcasing alliance unity toward rivals like Russia, a former senior NATO official told FP.

This year, NATO has scrapped plans to publish a full formal meeting declaration. One NATO official said that’s because it’s not a full summit, like past major NATO gatherings in Warsaw in 2016 or Wales in 2014. “It’s not necessary to have another full declaration, as it’s not a full summit,” the official said. “This meeting is just much more focused.”

But behind closed doors, other officials are giving a different reason. NATO isn’t publishing a full declaration “because they’re worried Trump won’t like it,” another source said.

mmmm i love our rudderless foreign policy....what has trump actually done?

quote:

Experts say a declaration could be invaluable to European allies still struggling to get a read on Trump’s stance on Europe. Four months into office, Trump hasn’t clarified U.S. policy toward Europe — he cheered Brexit and appeared to endorse anti-Europe candidate Marine Le Pen in the recent French elections — let alone toward NATO.

Trump rattled NATO allies during the campaign by slamming the alliance as “obsolete” and openly praising Russian President Vladimir Putin. Since he became president, top administration officials, including Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Vice President Mike Pence, traveled to Brussels to soothe Europeans’ nerves and reiterate customary U.S. commitments to the 68-year-old alliance. Meanwhile, Trump declared in April during a meeting with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg that the alliance is “no longer obsolete.”

But the president’s erratic policy shifts and surprise Twitter storms on other international issues have NATO jittery, a former senior NATO official told FP. (Trump offered a taste of this during his awkward meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in March, where he refused to shake her hand; German officials also said he handed her a fake “bill” for overdue NATO payments, though the White House swiftly denied those claims.)

He's also left um like alllll the executive appointees to umm...everything unfilled.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/15/nato-frantically-tries-to-trump-proof-presidents-first-visit-alliance-europe-brussels/

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Im torn between nihilism and genuine concern. I want him to spark off a bullshit internal witch hunt in the IC that forces them to get out their knives, but holy poo poo security apparati turning against civilian leadership is a real loving slippery slope man

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/864452996129853444

But Comey is already fired though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Been over fifty minutes since that tweet. I guarantee you someone is dead over that phone.

• Locked thread