Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah you're supposed to think it's "guts/balls" the first time he says it but when he repeats it this is also around the time we find out that Yondu was a pretty dece dad and he clearly says "heart" which is the secret third option and drives home the whole "I fight for my family" theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He says heart, Peter thinks about all the good times he's spent with the team and Yondu raising him and all the emotional bonds he's formed, then powers up to fight off Ego.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

guys when he said heart he literally meant he controls the space arrow with a muscle in his chest cavity (even though the device needed goes on the big head). When has the human heart ever been used as some kind of symbol for fertility and/or loving?

:h::yosbutt::h:

It's not like James Gunn has a history of working on risqué or ribald humor or anything.

Definitely :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oADusLN5P0

Bonus points for including a character who has father issues!

Franchescanado posted:

So what stopped you from watching the last forty minutes of the movie? Because he repeats the statement a second time and ends the sentence very clearly saying it's his heart.

Is that when Yondu's getting buried? Because he definitely gets cut off again before saying it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ruddiger posted:

Is that when Yondu's getting buried? Because he definitely gets cut off again before saying it.

Yeah, this is what I was going off of. He gets cut off before he says "heart."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He says heart before getting crushed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Not being a dick, I've seen the movie twice and heard him clearly both times. He yells it. Then it immediately cuts to Quill thinking about how much he loves his "family", so context alone paints it pretty clearly. He's not getting a hard on thinking about flying jetpacks with Rocket.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Did anyone else have trouble figuring out how they kept getting to other planets? Did they have access to some kind of space ship? Also, was the man playing Kurt Russell supposed to be the actual Kurt Russell? Were we supposed to interpret the sounds coming out of the characters mouths? Was it the English language? What were the patterns of light and colors reflecting off the screen supposed to represent? People????

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Goon capacity for faceblindness and missing context is endless.

This is almost as bad as the 100 page derail about whether Batman actually died at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is he a Star, or is he a Lord? The raccoon used to be a rocket? Mantis is a bug? How do they keep finding batteries for the walkman?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yes, continue trivializing misogyny. What a great take.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

Woah, no one's even discussing that anymore. I haven't even trivialized it, I think there's some truth to the argument, but the movie makes a pretty strong stance on Drax being wrong and an rear end in a top hat and incapable of that level of self-awareness. This is the dude that spent the entire first movie calling the only female character a whore. A character can be a misogynist without the movie being misogynistic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe it's both? Maybe Yondu's people's heart doubles as genitals?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

Woah, no one's even discussing that anymore.

BravestOfTheLamps was a half-assed SuperMechagodzilla knock-off. GoldfishStew is a half-assed BravestOfTheLamps knock-off. Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hm, what could be the secret to the main character controlling his super powers in a movie about family?

MUST BE HIS GIANT THROBBING STAR DICK

GoldfishStew posted:

lol

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Finally saw this, by the way. It had some of the first one's problems (the pacing of the first act felt kind of frantic, just rushing from plot point to plot point), but it fixed some of the problems the first one had (Ronan being a bit of a weak antagonist and the kind of forced connection to the larger Marvel universe), and doubled down on what I liked about the first (really strong emotional and thematic core, great, great visuals, and good humour). My wife said (and I'm trying to figure out if I agree or not) that she found the music a bit more obtrusive this time, less diegetic. All in all, this may topple the first Guardians as my favourite superhero movie.

Also, Ben Browder!!! I can't help but think it's an homage to Farscape, an obviously huge inspiration.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phylodox posted:

My wife said (and I'm trying to figure out if I agree or not) that she found the music a bit more obtrusive this time, less diegetic.

I think I mostly agree with that. And Browder's cameo is 100% a nod to Farscape.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Finally saw this, by the way. It had some of the first one's problems (the pacing of the first act felt kind of frantic, just rushing from plot point to plot point), but it fixed some of the problems the first one had (Ronan being a bit of a weak antagonist and the kind of forced connection to the larger Marvel universe), and doubled down on what I liked about the first (really strong emotional and thematic core, great, great visuals, and good humour). My wife said (and I'm trying to figure out if I agree or not) that she found the music a bit more obtrusive this time, less diegetic. All in all, this may topple the first Guardians as my favourite superhero movie.

Also, Ben Browder!!! I can't help but think it's an homage to Farscape, an obviously huge inspiration.

This is how I've sold my wife on trying Farscape, by the way. We're working through other shows yet and haven't started, but she's game to try it on my comparison to this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Farscape is Guardians of the Galaxy except Australian and with Muppets.

Also, the sentient plant has tits.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even though i enjoyed this a little more than the first i gotta admit a small part of me wishes it was awful so i could refer to it as a 'famously large turd'

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So y'all are saying that Yondu didn't inspire Peter to gently caress his dad to death.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he actually doesn't finish saying heart before he gets crushed but he definitely gets out the first bit of the word. it aint dick.

Phylodox posted:

BravestOfTheLamps was a half-assed SuperMechagodzilla knock-off. GoldfishStew is a half-assed BravestOfTheLamps knock-off. Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon.

to be fair to bravestoflamps doesn't he have that really good the name of the wind thread in ye olde book barne?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

he actually doesn't finish saying heart before he gets crushed but he definitely gets out the first bit of the word. it aint dick.

my h-

my hard dick

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I do not aim with my eye
He who aims with his eye has forgotten the face of his father
I aim with my hard-on

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

actually that was the worst bit of the movie to me - that they had to repeat that part. you know when he scolds peter about flying with his head that's gonna come back in the final battle. they shoulda just had him yell i fly it with my heart before he got crushed instead of repeating the whole thing.

it's like that poo poo when a movie will show you an obvious establishing shot AND put the loving location name on screen and THEN have someone in dialogue within the next thirty seconds say where they are.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 15, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Kodiak posted:

So y'all are saying that Yondu didn't inspire Peter to gently caress his dad to death.

I don't think it's wrong to infer the film has a running theme about toxic masculinity throughout the course of the movie, being about Dads and what not.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

my h-

my hard dick

Wouldn't be the first time Gunn went with the first letter fake out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-pt715HlVU&t=14s

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Terror Firmer is so loving awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
James Gunn is also awesome. I'd like to see him do something super weird again.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, I want to see the movie that the two wildly successful Guardians movies give him the freedom to make.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

He'll probably do the last Guardians film and then move on. Which is fine for me. Dude can do whatever the hell he wants from here on out.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

He's not getting a hard on thinking about flying jetpacks with Rocket.

Really? I know i always do.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

GoldfishStew posted:

Nah, my criticisms that 1) this movie (and marvel movies in general) have very limited and lovely roles for women and 2) this movie leaned heavily on well worn tropes without being innovative are pretty thought out and, in the case of 1) re: women is pretty well documented and said more eloquently than I across various articles and blogs on the net. I'm sorry you like basic movies and are easily entertained by seeing the same stories told again and again with slightly different avatars.

I don't know if you realise this or not, but you sound like a complete twat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

He'll probably do the last Guardians film and then move on. Which is fine for me. Dude can do whatever the hell he wants from here on out.

He said he's going to help develop Cosmic Marvel more, so I guess he'll be producing. Which is fine, I trust the dude, but I want him to make a really loving weird movie, especially if it's horror (but knowing The Belko Experiment didn't do great, I dunno how viable that is).

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

CityMidnightJunky posted:

You attack me for criticizing the movie for their treatment of women with a derogatory, gendered insult.

You realize you're completely oblivious, right?

Sorry y'all like basic flicks. Enjoy transformers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, actually

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think the '17 regdate user posting nothing but straw-feminist talking points may be a rereg gimmick account, just a hunch.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crosspost from the cosplay thread:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think that's an undertale not a guradians of the galaxy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

I think that's an undertale not a guradians of the galaxy?

Yondu/Mary Poppins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm conflicted between feeling like there were some weird tonal inconsistencies with jokes thrown into otherwise serious/actiony moments, and loving loving the "MY NIPPLLLLLLLLLLES" bit

• Locked thread