Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyone going to be in Beijing in June? I'm going to be there for a TESOL job starting then. :toot:

Any reaction by Chinese folks on Americans re: Trump besides the apparent idolization of Ivanka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Anyone going to be in Beijing in June? I'm going to be there for a TESOL job starting then. :toot:

looking forward to this breakdown and/or Haiering

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any reaction by Chinese folks on Americans re: Trump besides the apparent idolization of Ivanka?

A bunch of Chinese people think hes cool a bunch think hes a big idiot and most have no opinion.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone know where the shiny new aircraft carrier will be based out of?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

Anyone know where the shiny new aircraft carrier will be based out of?

It hasn't been commissioned yet and is still undergoing trials. Probably Dalian but you're most likely not going to be able to get anywhere near it until after 2020.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bummer. The Liaoning is fairly close-ish to the inlaws and I'm vaguely hoping it'll come cruising by Qingdao at some point I'm out that way. I mean, sure, it's just an old Soviet tub, but you don't get to see those too often in person.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I'm going to be in the middle of Pudong, apparently.

Anyone know any boxing gyms nearby?

Closest I can find is like 90 min away by metro.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TheReverend posted:

So I'm going to be in the middle of Pudong, apparently.

Anyone know any boxing gyms nearby?

Closest I can find is like 90 min away by metro.

I've never lived there but everything I hear about Pudong makes it seem pretty sparse for that kind of thing.

I baidu searched a bit and found one in Pudong, but its close to the river so I dunno how close they are for you:

http://m.dianping.com/shop/67977533/

Also searched for MMA and Muay Thai and came up empty. Maybe some Shanghai goons know something?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

MMA would be preferable but you already found better possibilities than I have so thanks!!!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I am flying to Qingdao Wednesday for work and need to get my laptop fixed while I'm there. Where can I find a decent repair place? I'll be there till the 15th, is there anything I should try to check out while I'm there?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I have a friend of the wife's I can ask about that laptop repair. What's wrong with it?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Either needs the charging connection resoldered to the motherboard or needs a whole new motherboard.

It's a 3 year old Asus but I'm out of time to get it fixed in the US and will be getting on a ship for an extended period there so it would be nice to have.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 8, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll see what I can do.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Thanks, not a major deal, more worried about what I am going to do in Qingdao! What apps should I grab before getting in country?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

lightpole posted:

Thanks, not a major deal, more worried about what I am going to do in Qingdao! What apps should I grab before getting in country?

A good VPN. WeChat. Baidu maps if you can read Chinese.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you're on an iPhone Apple maps is probably the best English language map program for China. Baidu is better, but 100% in Chinese.

Eat clams, drink beer, Qingdao is pretty rad. If you want I can dig up some specific places I liked when I lived there but it was like 4 years ago so might be a little outdated.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Hah, I grabbed baidu maps and deleted it cause it was in chinese. I might have to grab it again. I can skip the vpn, company provides. I just need a couple places to check out, should get a decent amount of time to run around.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Google Trips has a pretty decent set of itineraries for most places I've been. It's not completely comprehensive though so you still need to do a bit of your own research. It also works offline.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lightpole posted:

Hah, I grabbed baidu maps and deleted it cause it was in chinese. I might have to grab it again. I can skip the vpn, company provides. I just need a couple places to check out, should get a decent amount of time to run around.

Fushan is a centrally located mountain which is cool. You can climb it and see basically the whole city on a clear day.

On the street you'll see a lot of roujiamo and jianbingguozi carts. it's all really good. Donkey sandwiches are also a regional favorite (馿肉三明治) and are really good, as are the baked meat pies (肉馅烤饼)which come in every flavor imaginable.

For Qingdao food, my favorite place was on Hong Kong middle road near May 4th Square called Xinhai Restaurant (chinese was 鑫海酒楼). I'm not claiming it to be the best of the best, but it was reasonably priced and right near my office in Qingdao so it was good for that. I'd suggest the fried clams (辣炒蛤蜊),dry fried squid (干煸鱿鱼),potato/green pepper/eggplant stirfry (地三鲜) and sweet and sour pork (糖醋里脊)though almost everything there is good.

Also Qingdao is a contender for the best dumplings in China, so hit those up. There are 42 million dumpling restaurants with menus as thick as books as Qingdaonese love dumplings and put anything and everything in them. You can find beef, pork, fried egg, chicken, fish, any of those combined with any vegetable, etc.... My favorite place was near Ocean University's old campus in the old German part of town. It's been a while but I think this is it

The big shopping district is Taidong, which I'd suggest avoiding unless you want to be around a zillion people and really overpriced (by western standards) western brands. There is a lot of street food though so you can check that out. There was one bakery that did durian creme puffs which were really good.

If you're hankering for korean or japanese food, there's a great japan/koreatown off of Hong Kong middle road near the Mykal x(if the Mykal is still there??) It's around Yan'er Dao road and Gutian road. Qingdao has a huge amount of Korean and Japanese expats so these places are actually about as legit as it gets in China/outside of their respective countries. Basically everywhere is good there.

The beaches are all dirty as gently caress so avoid them, but if you really want to go to one Laoshiren (老石人)is the least horrible.

Also the Qingdao brewery tour is neat.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think they are having trouble getting their poo poo together and getting me the right visas since I still don't have my passport and they just changed my flight to Busan, tomorrow at 0900. Getting really bummed since Busan sucks and I was really looking forward to Qingdao.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Korea is bad

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Chinese wanted $5.1 mil to allow us to change crew so I am going to Korea instead and not looking forward to it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Golden beach is pretty nice, excuse you. I'm surprised there wasn't more beer centric material there, but that's a good write-up.

I actually think I may have some contacts in Busan I can ask about the laptop stuff if needed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I will just suffer or figure it out, thanks though. We are getting screwed waiting for our passports and losing time. Korea is a bit more Google and western Internet friendly so I will make I work.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Thanks for the detailed OP, I'm moving to Beijing in August so it's useful to see some resources and discussions. I've already worked in Thailand for 2 years and Korea for 3, is there anything you would say would be majorly different culture shock wise from those two?

I always like Busan, I mean I only ever done some day trips or like 5 days max and maybe it was just a relief to be somewhere different than Geoje but still. It did start an addiction to escape rooms.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Warbird posted:

Golden beach is pretty nice, excuse you. I'm surprised there wasn't more beer centric material there, but that's a good write-up.

I actually think I may have some contacts in Busan I can ask about the laptop stuff if needed.

I don't know if I ever made it to Golden Beach. I'm not a big fan of the beach in general so I never hunted them all down, though. That one beach, I think #4 or something?, right near the old town that has like a mini muscle beach is pretty neat to check out actually.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lightpole posted:

I will just suffer or figure it out, thanks though. We are getting screwed waiting for our passports and losing time. Korea is a bit more Google and western Internet friendly so I will make I work.

just a bit more

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Found in my costco today and thought of this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Booked my ticket! :toot: Accounting for the time zone difference, I should get to Beijing on May 31st.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Busan is cool, don't hate on Busan!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gimhae is cooler but my gimhae goon friends are gone :qq:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Busan was much better than Gwangyang. The girls in Busan felt sorry for us when they heard we were coming here. At least we made it in time to watch the Jeonnam Dragons.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Busan has Gamcheon Village, which is interesting and a good place to spend an afternoon (provided it's not too crowded). The beaches are pretty good out of season, too. I also like the Haeundae strip because I am an idiot whore (but boozy snowcones!) Other than that it's pretty much the same mishmash of bars, makeup stores, and chicken restaurants.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My first day in Korea began at some Russian fusion cafe for breakfast then we climbed a mountain fortress thing and a family shared a massive fuckoff pear with us. It was a good day and it made me like Busan.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Actually, Korea is *checks notes* bad.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

fart simpson posted:

Actually, Korea is *checks notes* bad.

this man is ready for the quiz

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have an etiquette question that I hope someone will be generous enough to answer:

Even though I'm not leaving my school until the end of next month, two of my coworkers have already given me goodbye presents. They're personal (and, in one case, personalized) and I genuinely love them both.

I was planning on making cupcakes or something for the whole office as a goodbye-to-everyone gesture, but of course I'd like to give these ladies something a little more thoughtful and personal as a special thank you. I guess I have three questions specifically:

1. Is it okay to give them their personal gifts just before I leave, or do I need to reciprocate ASAP?

2. What are good and bad ideas for gifts in China? Obviously I know not to give four of anything, or white flowers, but are there any gift ideas that are especially good or bad culturally? I have googled it, but keep finding conflicting information.

3. Does my present need to be roughly equivalent in value to the gifts I received?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

take them out for dinner drinks and karaoke

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's up to you.

Don't worry so much about custom. Give what you like or what you think they would like

Not really. Can't buy your cupcakes or hand drawn tub girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe going away is the gift to them and they're just reciprocating