Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Masterless Glencour is no slouch either. He'll even help you as a shade in the Belfry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Sellsword Luet is my homeboy :c00l:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bashful Ray is the unsung hero of the npc summon crew.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bashful ray is the best NPC because he looks at you with binoculars when nothing is going on

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Should clarify that I meant it's a worthwhile point for the NPC summons or fights where they're bad, not that they're all bad. In fact, I kinda miss ds2 summons. They had character, and some of them are great boss companions. I'm partial to the way Bradley of the old guard emotes and heals you. Still wouldn't summon carhillion for fume knight though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pilgrim belliclaire is my guardian angel.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The two NPC's available for Caves of the Dead can gently caress off though

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

monny posted:

Sellsword Luet is my homeboy :c00l:

Luet is my man bae. Dude will aggro literally everything for you.

Digirat posted:

Bashful ray is the best NPC because he looks at you with binoculars when nothing is going on

That's amazing, I had no idea he did that.

:v: :What are you doing Ray?

:black101: Looking for the tell to backstab you

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Beat the game (SotFS), pretty good game especially for the $5 I spent on it. It has it's rough spots and overall the areas are less cohesive than DS1 but I liked a lot of the areas in general. Nice set pieces, etc.

co-oping and all was pretty fun as well.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just wrapped up Dark Souls 1 and because gently caress Bed of Chaos, I'm going to forego a NG+ and move on to number 2. I've heard tons of mixed reviews from friends. Some of my pals praise it, some of them think it's the worst of the 3. There are really three deal-breakers I just wanna confirm: rolls no longer have iframes, weapons lose durability in a heartbeat, enemies don't respawn. True/false?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just wrapped up Dark Souls 1 and because gently caress Bed of Chaos, I'm going to forego a NG+ and move on to number 2. I've heard tons of mixed reviews from friends. Some of my pals praise it, some of them think it's the worst of the 3. There are really three deal-breakers I just wanna confirm: rolls no longer have iframes, weapons lose durability in a heartbeat, enemies don't respawn. True/false?

It is the worst of the three, but still worth a play.

Rolls have iframes, but fewer of them, and you must level a stat to get more of them as well as watching your weight.

Weapons lose durability a lot faster to the point where some may break occasionally in the larger zones, but unless they lose all durability and break, they will restore to full for no cost every time you rest at a bonfire. It isn't a major problem for most weapons unless you are doing a no-bonfire gimmick run, but you may want to glance at the durability bar below the weapon icon every now and again.

Most enemies will respawn until they are killed about 12 times. After that, they can be reset at increased difficulty by using a specific item at the nearest bonfire.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All of those are effectively false.

1. Of course rolls have iframes, it's a core part of the series' combat. What's different in DS2 is that the starting roll has less iframes and you need to increase the Adaptability stat to improve it. It's certainly not the greatest decision, but you level up so much faster in this game that after a short time you will have no problems with rolls.

2. Durability does wear out faster than the other games, but it also restores to full every time you go to a bonfire. The only time it's ever an issue is with certain very very low durability weapons. Carrying 2-3 weapons you like or keeping a stock of repair powders will be enough to ensure it's never a serious issue.

3. Enemies absolutely respawn. However there's a new mechanic where if you kill a particular enemy multiple times it will eventually stop respawning. You will probably only encounter this a handful of times throughout the game unless you're grinding. If you do need to grind a particular enemy for some reason and have exterminated them, the bonfire ascetic item lets you respawn everything in an area with the trade off of making that area permanently one NG+ level higher than normal.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i just played 2 and i never had a weapon break except when fighting the gimmicky extra-breaky enemies

its solved by having two weapons you switch between which is easy because theres tons of titanite

pump a bunch of stats into "adaptability" at the start to get good rolling

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

1. Rolls still have iframes, don't worry. The trick is that you no longer get different amounts of them depending on equip load. Instead, your iframe count is determined by your agility stat. All characters start with low agility and consequently have bad rolls. Make sure to put some points into ADP early on.
2. Weapons are fragile in general, yes, but durability is also restored to max whenever you rest at a bonfire - unless a piece of equipment is all the way broken, in which case you need to get it fixed by a smith.
3. Enemies respawn a limited amount of times (like 10? I can't remember off the top of my head). There's a covenant you can join that turns on unlimited respawn.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

skasion posted:

It is the worst of the three, but still worth a play.

Rolls have iframes, but fewer of them, and you must level a stat to get more of them as well as watching your weight.

Most enemies will respawn until they are killed about 12 times. After that, they can be reset at increased difficulty by using a specific item at the nearest bonfire.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

First, B-Team stands for Better Team. DS2 is the superior game.

Second, roll iframes actually get better than Dark Souls 1 except for DWGR flip depending on agility. 33 Adaptability is sufficient to match fast roll. The iframes do not depend on weight class in any way, that only affects roll distance.

Third, enemies can be permanently respawned by simply enrolling in the Covenant of Champions .

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually intentionally despawned enemies for some boss fights, like alonne. Nice to have that option.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It should be noted as well that the Covenant of Champions is DS2's hard mode. While in it, you can't summon, and all enemies are moderately tougher. But the final reward, while tricky to wrap one's head around, is one of the best covenant rewards I've seen in a Souls game.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

First, B-Team stands for Better Team. DS2 is the superior game.

Second, roll iframes actually get better than Dark Souls 1 except for DWGR flip depending on agility. 33 Adaptability is sufficient to match fast roll. The iframes do not depend on weight class in any way, that only affects roll distance.

Third, enemies can be permanently respawned by simply enrolling in the Covenant of Champions .

All of this is correct, especially the part about DS2 being the best.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'd say coming straight from DS1 the controls feel kind of weird and the game kind of feels like it takes awhile to get going (I complained earlier in the thread that it felt like I was using crappy weapons for longer than I expected). I don't think I"m a huge fan of the first big area, Forest of Fallen Giants, but they got better after that

So basically it seems like it takes a bit go get into but I liked it after that

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

NGDBSS posted:

It should be noted as well that the Covenant of Champions is DS2's hard mode. While in it, you can't summon, and all enemies are moderately tougher. But the final reward, while tricky to wrap one's head around, is one of the best covenant rewards I've seen in a Souls game.

What's the endgame reward?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

What's the endgame reward?

The ring that makes punching good

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

skasion posted:

The ring that makes punching good

Just looked up the details and holy crap it's awesome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Just looked up the details and holy crap it's awesome.

It's not as much fun as dual cestus or BONEFIST imo, but maybe I'm just sour on it because it's relatively a pain in the dick to get

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a guaranteed NPC invader spawn in the Grave of Saints who you can grind easily for Awestones, though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also ogres drop awestones so put on your item farming gear and kill that one in forest of fallen giants a billion times.

So I'm trying a sorcerer/hex/dex character and I'm probably just missing stuff, but it doesn't seem worth it? I notice that spells just aren't worth the hastle of juggling a staff & chime, and most of the good dps ones require a lot of attunement slots?

What am I missing here?

As an aside, has anyone ever managed to make a character that's got a middle-eastern skin colour? I'm trying to fight the char gen and it ends up greenface, orangeface or redface. Or caucasian, that one tends to work decently. Truly the character generator is the endboss of dark souls.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 13, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

double nine posted:

Also ogres drop awestones so put on your item farming gear and kill that one in forest of fallen giants a billion times.

So I'm trying a sorcerer/hex/dex character and I'm probably just missing stuff, but it doesn't seem worth it? I notice that spells just aren't worth the hastle of juggling a staff & chime, and most of the good dps ones require a lot of attunement slots?

What am I missing here?

As an aside, has anyone ever managed to make a character that's got a middle-eastern skin colour? I'm trying to fight the char gen and it ends up greenface, orangeface or redface. Or caucasian, that one tends to work decently. Truly the character generator is the endboss of dark souls.

For pve you're just gonna cast dark orb a ton and maybe the occasional darkstorm or scraps of life.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

For pve you're just gonna cast dark orb a ton and maybe the occasional darkstorm or scraps of life.

wait so the high-faith, high-int hexes aren't worth it? Wut?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^They're okay but dark orb spam is WAY better for dps mostly. Of the ones with high reqs, dark greatsword, dark dance, and recollection, and affinity are at least okay.

double nine posted:

You don't need a chime to have a good hexer. You're missing out on variety and in particular on AoE spells, so it's a good idea to have one for PvP, but in PvE who cares? Get dark orb, dark hail, and dark weapon (on a dark weapon obviously), that's four slots and absolutely fine to beat the game easily. Darklurker and the DLC bosses will give you a little bit of trouble with this setup, but the best part of being a hexer is that you have the stats to use any magic school you please.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 13, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

double nine posted:

wait so the high-faith, high-int hexes aren't worth it? Wut?

The vast majority of them have very few casts, cost souls, or both. And the ones with soul costs got nerfed hard so they're no longer the lovely burst damage they used to be.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Levitate posted:

I'd say coming straight from DS1 the controls feel kind of weird and the game kind of feels like it takes awhile to get going (I complained earlier in the thread that it felt like I was using crappy weapons for longer than I expected). I don't think I"m a huge fan of the first big area, Forest of Fallen Giants, but they got better after that

This is pretty much my experience with Dark Souls II. I didn't really enjoy it at first, but once it gets going it's really good. I'm somewhere around 40 hours in on my first playthrough, and I haven't started the DLC areas yet. On that note, which one should I go with first?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fatal Error posted:

This is pretty much my experience with Dark Souls II. I didn't really enjoy it at first, but once it gets going it's really good. I'm somewhere around 40 hours in on my first playthrough, and I haven't started the DLC areas yet. On that note, which one should I go with first?

Probably release order, Sunken -> Iron -> Ivory. They're all postgame difficulty and unrelated stories though, so any order will work fine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I normally leave Sunken for last since is the one I like the most. Ivory King boss fight is fantastic but I don't dig the zone much and Iron gives me mixed feelings. The co-op areas on all of them are awful. You got a third boss to fight on Iron King, Alonne, while optional is a great one.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Guillermus posted:

I normally leave Sunken for last since is the one I like the most. Ivory King boss fight is fantastic but I don't dig the zone much and Iron gives me mixed feelings. The co-op areas on all of them are awful. You got a third boss to fight on Iron King, Alonne, while optional is a great one.

Alonne: Dark Souls' greatest weeaboo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replaying vanilla Dark Souls 2 for the first time in quite a while and I've come across a problem that's pretty annoying: The game runs faster when it's in fullscreen. I have to play it in windowed mode in order for it to run at normal speed, otherwise it's like 25% faster and feels absolutely terrible. So far my solution has just been to play it in windowed mode and force borderless fullscreen, but... I'd rather not do that if there's another solution. I have found this issue really hard to google because all my results end up being about the gameplay speed and not the game's speed.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's been a problem since launch. Worse part is that for some reason durability is tied to frame rate, I don't remember why.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way to fix it or..?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thumbtacks posted:

That's been a problem since launch. Worse part is that for some reason durability is tied to frame rate, I don't remember why.

This is how misinformation spreads. This bug was fixed two years ago.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Levitate posted:

I'll say that picked up Scholar of the First Sin a couple of days ago, and I just started playing it today, and also find the control a bit off after finishing the first game. With the first path I took, I ended up at Heide's Tower, and I was able to dispatch the first few knights without issue. Then I came to the trio of knights, and I tried luring out the first one, but the other two come in unison after the first one dies. On one attempt, I tried running past all the knights and tried fighting the boss, and I think I got him down to about half-health before he finally killed me.

Eventually I tried the other routes and I ended up in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, fighting the Conquistador Hollows dressed like lumberjacks. The change in control makes fighting the turtle mace guys awkward. I climbed up to fight one of the bomb throwers, and a huge knight came and stabbed me with his cursed sword, but when I respawned at the bonfire, I couldn't tell if I was still cursed or not.

I have to say that I'm think I'm seeing why people don't like DS2. Compared to Undead Burg, Forest of the Fallen Giants doesn't really seem like it's designed as concisely. In one of the first areas, there's a huge group of Hollows, and they aren't really hard to fight, but just sort of tedious to get through. There's a maze-like bit right before the cursed knight where you're running around on scaffolding, and Hollows are shooting arrows at you. Aside from getting the key from the cartographer guy, there doesn't really seem to be much reason to go down in the area. The boulder trap right before the cartographer also is weird, because it seems like you're unlikely to run into it, and there's only one, where as in Sen's Fortress, they were always constantly coming. In contrast, I don't know how you're supposed to know about that ballista trap near that same area, since you can barely tell what those things are when you first enter the room.

I don't what it is, but in general, it just feels really off or distant from the first game. NPCs are also way more chatty in this game, and I find myself skipping through the dialog. I find myself dying a lot, to the point where I'm getting annoyed. At the same time, I think I just need to keep at it, since it took a while before I really started getting through Undead Burg and Undead Parish with ease.

I got the key for the blacksmith's shop, and I upgraded the longsword to +1, since my impression is that upgrading weapons is what helps you out the most. When I played Dark Souls 1, the weapon I taking to and upgrading to max was the Halberd. Is it still as effective in DS2?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I'll say that picked up Scholar of the First Sin a couple of days ago, and I just started playing it today, and also find the control a bit off after finishing the first game. With the first path I took, I ended up at Heide's Tower, and I was able to dispatch the first few knights without issue. Then I came to the trio of knights, and I tried luring out the first one, but the other two come in unison after the first one dies. On one attempt, I tried running past all the knights and tried fighting the boss, and I think I got him down to about half-health before he finally killed me.

Eventually I tried the other routes and I ended up in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, fighting the Conquistador Hollows dressed like lumberjacks. The change in control makes fighting the turtle mace guys awkward. I climbed up to fight one of the bomb throwers, and a huge knight came and stabbed me with his cursed sword, but when I respawned at the bonfire, I couldn't tell if I was still cursed or not.

I have to say that I'm think I'm seeing why people don't like DS2. Compared to Undead Burg, Forest of the Fallen Giants doesn't really seem like it's designed as concisely. In one of the first areas, there's a huge group of Hollows, and they aren't really hard to fight, but just sort of tedious to get through. There's a maze-like bit right before the cursed knight where you're running around on scaffolding, and Hollows are shooting arrows at you. Aside from getting the key from the cartographer guy, there doesn't really seem to be much reason to go down in the area. The boulder trap right before the cartographer also is weird, because it seems like you're unlikely to run into it, and there's only one, where as in Sen's Fortress, they were always constantly coming. In contrast, I don't know how you're supposed to know about that ballista trap near that same area, since you can barely tell what those things are when you first enter the room.

I don't what it is, but in general, it just feels really off or distant from the first game. NPCs are also way more chatty in this game, and I find myself skipping through the dialog. I find myself dying a lot, to the point where I'm getting annoyed. At the same time, I think I just need to keep at it, since it took a while before I really started getting through Undead Burg and Undead Parish with ease.

I got the key for the blacksmith's shop, and I upgraded the longsword to +1, since my impression is that upgrading weapons is what helps you out the most. When I played Dark Souls 1, the weapon I taking to and upgrading to max was the Halberd. Is it still as effective in DS2?

Halberd is okay. Personally I think it's a bit weaker in DS2, you have to get a feel for the spacing of it so you're hitting with the head and not the shaft. For a first playthrough, I'd recommend a blunt weapon. It helps a lot to deal with some of the tougher early game enemies, who are mostly armored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Caestus only, two hand it, punch your way to victory. I will accept some sort of medium-engagement weapon, be it bow or whip.