Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

UHD posted:

Is that what that is? I thought it was just an empty scabbard.

I like it :(

It's where your cards go, dummy

believe in the heart of the cards, astrologian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A Spider Covets posted:

That too. I think that's where saying very little in party helps. I'm sure there's dudes who will just explode cringe all over your chatbox regardless, though. That's when you bust out a full Vanu glam and do the manderville. :dance:

How did you guess my favorite past time?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

a7m2 posted:

Is anyone playing on a Japanese server? I'm in Asia so I might switch to an Asian server but I'd want to play with an English speaking guild. I hear Tonberry has lots of English speaking people?

I play on alt on Tonberry every so often and I've never once met a single Japanese or non-English speaking person there. It was just like an American server. Except presumably mostly Australian. It's still a Japanese data centre, of course, and I'm not sure how that works out at 50-60 when content sometimes requires communication. I never encountered any trouble doing levelling with a full group of Japanese people, though. I found they really respected the content.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ruta posted:

I play on alt on Tonberry every so often and I've never once met a single Japanese or non-English speaking person there. It was just like an American server. Except presumably mostly Australian. It's still a Japanese data centre, of course, and I'm not sure how that works out at 50-60 when content sometimes requires communication. I never encountered any trouble doing levelling with a full group of Japanese people, though. I found they really respected the content.

Thanks. Is the FC you're in good and looking for members? I'm transferring my character there today or tomorrow.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

Not if you use something with a suitable wedge.

Like a woodcutting axe :black101:

That's the thing. Katanas are not thin, and they are not light. If you take a cross-section of a katana, you will find, typically* blade widths at the spine of a half inch to 5/8ths, with little distal taper**.

Most of that mass is iron, because while Japanese *steel* was pretty good, it was literally polishing a turd out of very lovely iron, and was very precious and very dear. Which can be seen in katana construction over the ages, in effect taking an edge of very sharp, very hard steel, and then wrapping iron around the backside of it in order to build up its mass.

You are, in effect, swinging around a thick, heavy bar of iron that's been sharpened on one edge, that's of mostly uniform thickness. This is not a razor, under any circumstances. You are not going to perform surgery with a katana. In reality, if you were going to cut something with a katana, the two cut ends would probably be flung apart from eachother, not unlike an axe. And that should show you just how preposterous the trope of the samurai cutting something, standing up from his follow-through, and sheathing his sword with the thing he just cut falling to pieces along a razor-sharp line just as he seats the blade all the way into the sheath REALLY is.

* There are no absolutes in swordmaking. You can almost always find an exception to the rule, but for the most part, katanas are pretty beefy.
** Distal taper refers to the tapering of a blade's thickness as it gets towards the point. Very common in Western swords, very uncommon in katanas.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

but what if its a videogame katana

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's magic.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Shy posted:

but what if its a videogame katana

Then it's made out of thousand-fold mooglium ingots.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

in this anime game with dragons and magic and catgirls I draw the line at cutting bullets in half

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no mythbusters that says catgirls don't exist, ergo they are more realistic than katanas cutting bullets.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's the thing. Katanas are not thin, and they are not light. If you take a cross-section of a katana, you will find, typically* blade widths at the spine of a half inch to 5/8ths, with little distal taper**.

Most of that mass is iron, because while Japanese *steel* was pretty good, it was literally polishing a turd out of very lovely iron, and was very precious and very dear. Which can be seen in katana construction over the ages, in effect taking an edge of very sharp, very hard steel, and then wrapping iron around the backside of it in order to build up its mass.

You are, in effect, swinging around a thick, heavy bar of iron that's been sharpened on one edge, that's of mostly uniform thickness. This is not a razor, under any circumstances. You are not going to perform surgery with a katana. In reality, if you were going to cut something with a katana, the two cut ends would probably be flung apart from eachother, not unlike an axe. And that should show you just how preposterous the trope of the samurai cutting something, standing up from his follow-through, and sheathing his sword with the thing he just cut falling to pieces along a razor-sharp line just as he seats the blade all the way into the sheath REALLY is.

* There are no absolutes in swordmaking. You can almost always find an exception to the rule, but for the most part, katanas are pretty beefy.
** Distal taper refers to the tapering of a blade's thickness as it gets towards the point. Very common in Western swords, very uncommon in katanas.

*i turn from blowing up my enemies with the magical energies ambient in the air to see my ally cut a bullet in half* this is just so unrealistic. i can't handle it.

what if they're using aether to make the sword super sharp. there is a sword energy mechanic. didja think of that mr. smarty pants

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Office Surprise Store posted:

*i turn from blowing up my enemies with the magical energies ambient in the air to see my ally cut a bullet in half* this is just so unrealistic. i can't handle it.

what if they're using aether to make the sword super sharp. there is a sword energy mechanic. didja think of that mr. smarty pants

Uh, excuse me but I'm pretty sure katana-energy would not be aether, but actually the ancient Doman martial art known as chi-manipulation.

:goonsay:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Uh, excuse me but I'm pretty sure katana-energy would not be aether, but actually the ancient Doman martial art known as Qi-manipulation.

Fixed :colbert:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You people need to go play Metal Gear Rising: Revengance right now.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

a7m2 posted:

Is anyone playing on a Japanese server? I'm in Asia so I might switch to an Asian server but I'd want to play with an English speaking guild. I hear Tonberry has lots of English speaking people?

I'm on Tonberry and it's pretty much all english speakers. You'll be grouped with JP people via the duty finder, but you'll find everyone just stays silent so there's no real communication issues. For end-game content, there are a set of standard macro's everyone uses which, again, solve the communication issues. But it's recommended you join an english learning party before attempting to farm via the duty finder. Otherwise, just treat the server like a NA server, except the average player skill is much higher.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Brainamp posted:

Managed to finally hit 50 on BLM before the servers went down. Also finally settled on what I wanted my caster dps glamour to be.

Oxyclean posted:

You look like some sort of creepy mannequin.

I honestly hated that armour set since it's thrust on you from doing the 2.0 level 50 MSQ stuff. I went from looking like a badass black mage to some kinky magician's assistant. Kind of put a damper on all the serious story cutscenes when you can't take your character seriously. :v: Unless the goal is to look ridiculous as possible and make all the cutscenes super awkward as no NPCs acknowledges the walking fashion disaster that is the warrior of light.

No way. This was my final ARR glam. I even wore it into HW for a bit.

(2.5 story screen shot)

Sometimes I even consider going back. In pugs I'd get lots of compliments and comms... so yes it is like some kind of magician's kink I guess.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The final fight with zevos or whoever in stormblood is going to be one big revengeance reference get hyped

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Back a bit but Shogun's a great read.

Farg posted:

The final fight with zevos or whoever in stormblood is going to be one big revengeance reference get hyped

Playing SAM so I'm hoping for Raiden vs Jetstream, more or less, with a little of the final boss's ridiculous lines.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope that Zenos drops loot, so that we can have Zenos' gear.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I need Zenos's triple sword scabbard. And the swords too I guess.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

jyrque posted:

I need Zenos's triple sword scabbard. And the swords too I guess.

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 16, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014
a piece of art drawn by someone with a dbz name of a one piece character being used to reference a final fantasy villain

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

itskage posted:

No way. This was my final ARR glam. I even wore it into HW for a bit.

(2.5 story screen shot)

Sometimes I even consider going back. In pugs I'd get lots of compliments and comms... so yes it is like some kind of magician's kink I guess.

Heh I wore the same thing (except I think I had a slightly different coatee). Kinky mad hatter mage :hfive:

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQm76wFfKk
The Stormblood theme song, Revolutions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It doesn't hold a candle to Answers but that's expected.

Cool video though, apart from the bit with the Au Ra field area. It's just not possible to make them interesting.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Dragonsong was cooler but it's alright.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is that the same lady that sang Answers?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thumbtacks posted:

Is that the same lady that sang Answers?

Yep. And Dragonsong and Distant Worlds.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
one day they'll top answers but that day hasn't come yet

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Guess Alisae is a red mage or something similar? At least her cutscene animations look similar as RDM battle animations like that backflip.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Now I'm listening to Distant Worlds again god dammit.

jyrque posted:

Guess Alisae is a red mage or something similar? At least her cutscene animations look similar as RDM battle animations like that backflip.

She outright has a rapier and crystal so yes

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
they can't make a story NPC a job character though. I assume. would be sweet tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I didn't realize until watching that how happy I would be that we're done with Ishgard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

they can't make a story NPC a job character though. I assume. would be sweet tho

There's no reason other than them not wanting to that they can't.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Thumbtacks posted:

one day they'll top answers but that day hasn't come yet

I'm still waiting for them to top memoro de la stona, it's like the one thing i'll still defend from FFXI. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9SQzeALyH0

Looking back, I'm kind of shocked how far we've come in terms of cutscenes. Some of the 2.0 cutscenes are really awkward to re-watch, while the SB cutscenes look a lot more natural.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah imagine if HW had a dragoon story npc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad they're sticking with giving you recognisable party members in SB. It worked really well in HW and would have improved ARR.

kirbysuperstar posted:

She outright has a rapier and crystal so yes

I called it and lol at anyone who thought she wasn't.

She'd better be in the loving party this time around, that trailer makes me hope she is.

Also it would be cool if she'd invented the job wholesale and was also the trainer. :v:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Susan Calloway :allears:

They went all in with the Haohmaru/Mitsurugi look at 4:00.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm still waiting for them to top memoro de la stona, it's like the one thing i'll still defend from FFXI. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9SQzeALyH0

Looking back, I'm kind of shocked how far we've come in terms of cutscenes. Some of the 2.0 cutscenes are really awkward to re-watch, while the SB cutscenes look a lot more natural.

A lot of FFXI's OST is top class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just wanted to say I thought this was a good and interesting post, even though I still think cutting bullets in half is really cool and speaks to my inner 10yo.

• Locked thread