Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Add me to the list of the people that can't get past Isaac's aesthetic. I even respect it as the legitimate artistic statement that it is, like Piss Christ, but I'm not being asked to spend hours pressed up against Piss Christ

Yeah I don't go in for roguelikes that much to begin with, but I'd definitely have played more than 3 hours of Isaac if it wasn't just dank caves filled with pee pee and doo doo the entire way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's ok not to like copropunk

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
If people were allowed to talk about 'what is an rpg', I get to say that Isaac isn't a roguelike

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

If people were allowed to talk about 'what is an rpg', I get to say that Isaac isn't a roguelike

It's got enough roguelike elements to make me not enjoy it as much as if it was a proper game.

Almost everyone I know who plays Isaac a ton says that the thing they enjoy the most about it is the slot machine aspect of it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

It's got enough roguelike elements to make me not enjoy it
Fair

Lurdiak posted:

as much as if it was a proper game.
It is a proper game

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
For as popular as Isaac is, I'm surprised none of the other roguelikes made since then copied my favorite part of Isaac: absurd items that completely change the way you play. Gungeon is maybe the closest to that, but even still you mostly move/roll/shoot the same no matter what you get. Isaac isn't afraid of giving you weird-rear end poo poo that in certain combinations can let you completely break the game over your knee with bullets 50 times larger than your monitor can display. I like how it changes your appearance with every item, too.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 16, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pigbuster posted:

For as popular as Isaac is, I'm surprised none of the other roguelikes made since then copied my favorite part of Isaac: absurd passive items that completely change the way you play. Gungeon is maybe the closest to that, but even still you mostly move/roll/shoot the same no matter what you get. Isaac isn't afraid of giving you weird-rear end poo poo that in certain combinations can let you completely break the game over your knee with bullets 50 times larger than your monitor can display.

Starward Rogue did that to an extent.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pigbuster posted:

For as popular as Isaac is, I'm surprised none of the other roguelikes made since then copied my favorite part of Isaac: absurd passive items that completely change the way you play. Gungeon is maybe the closest to that, but even still you mostly move/roll/shoot the same no matter what you get. Isaac isn't afraid of giving you weird-rear end poo poo that in certain combinations can let you completely break the game over your knee with bullets 50 times larger than your monitor can display.

Yeah, that's why I love Isaac. It's a roguelike/roguelite that's focused more on having a ton of variability between individual runs rather than gradually improving via unlockables or building up your town between runs.

Not that it doesn't also have tons of unlockables to encourage playing and replaying in different ways, but aside from the donation box there's very little actual grinding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Should I kill this stupid silver basilisk.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In AC Syndicate you can play a lady whose base of operations is a train, and who hangs out with Karl Marx and spends her free time crippling people in underground pit fighting competitions. If I had known what this game was like I would have played it earlier

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that actually sounds awesome.

I knew nothing about syndicate except that it wasn't bad like unity.

I haven't been interested in asscreed since revelations.

I may check out syndicate in the eventual future where I can pick it up for cheap.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The smack downs in the underground fighting ring are insanely brutal with Evie, she's the best thing about the game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
AC syndicate is cool, ziplining around london, getting into horse and cart chases, caning people to death, hanging out with everyone famous in history etc etc Also playing frogger across the boats going along the river thames

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Any opinions on The Surge? People are saying it's another It's Like Dark Souls game but I want to hear deeper opinions than that before my 1,500 hours in the Souls games pushes me to buy it any further

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Any opinions on The Surge? People are saying it's another It's Like Dark Souls game but I want to hear deeper opinions than that before my 1,500 hours in the Souls games pushes me to buy it any further

It's Lords of the Fallen 2. I would 100% recommend only getting it when it's dirt cheap based on that alone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm, okay. I managed to find it for 25% off (38 bucks in the US) and my Play More Souls-Esque Games trigger finger was twitching.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ACG says Wait for Sale and the reviews are mostly mixed, some positive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I watched a Twitch streamer play an advance press copy a few days ago. It looked like it had a lot of Eurojank. For example, a conversation with an NPC where it kept interrupting (and skipping) its own lines of dialogue with AI barks.

I liked the sound design on the enemies, though. Filtered, vocoded screams of rage.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm not very good at fighting games and I haven't gone online yet, but Injustice 2 feels pretty good to play.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

Kickstarted games also include FTL, Hyper Light Drifter, Kentucky Route Zero, Shantae, Superhot, the new Torment, Shadowrun, Lisa, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeons, Sportsfriends, Freedom Planet, Risk of Rain, The Fall, Octodad, Some of the best pinball tables ever for Pinball Arcade, Valdis Story, Volgarr The Viking, Divinity, Divekick, Hollow Knight and probably others.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the ratio of good to bad Kickstarter games is skewed heavily towards the mediocre to terrible but when people act like Shovel Knight is only good thing to come out of Kickstarter, I find it a bit disingenuous.

I stand corrected.
I had no idea some of those games were kickstarters. I was wrong. Don't like all of them but FTL is fun as gently caress.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In AC Syndicate you can play a lady whose base of operations is a train, and who hangs out with Karl Marx and spends her free time crippling people in underground pit fighting competitions. If I had known what this game was like I would have played it earlier

Reading your praise is making me consider giving Syndicate a proper shot, I own an untouched copy and never really played an rear end Creed game before.

Could be the perfect popcorn game to come back down to earth after the recent run of stupidly good videogames.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

enter the gungeon is so cute and fun. it's like the binding of isaac, only good

precision posted:

i do not like the aesthetics of binding of isaac. it's me, i'm the guy who cares about things other than gameplay
binding of isaac has extremely good, tight gameplay with near-endless variety mixed with mechanics that intertwine in amazing ways, a shocking amount of depth(both literally and figuratively), a depressing and sad story, and comically grotesque visuals

enter the gungeon has very crisp, lively visuals and gameplay that falls apart after like five hours and is terribly balanced, with lots of guns being outright useless and enemies often wind up being bullet sponges unless you find one of a handful of guns that just obliterate everything

apparently isaac's aesthetic is originally based on the really hosed up jesus-crazy upbringing edmund mcmillen had to live through.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Man I was really disappointed in gungeon, 30 minutes of that game had less of a power spike than 30 seconds of some issac runs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When you're done with the game check out Jack the Ripper DLC as well. It cranks up the 'destroy the patriarchy' theme to 11, it's really good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

apparently isaac's aesthetic is originally based on the really hosed up jesus-crazy upbringing edmund mcmillen had to live through.

I can't say I'm surprised. Religious zealots are very frightening people.

Also, did someone briefly change your avatar

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Really looking forward to the Horizon DLC where Aloy literally kills all men.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I finished the first half of the season in Diablo3 last night and it made me exceptionally glad.
I think I may try to wean myself onto another game now that I've reached one of my goals.

However, it's just so much fun and feels so good! I am having the same problem that has faced all gamers: Too much game, too little time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only good thing about AssCreed Unity is watching rich people get guillotined.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't say I'm surprised. Religious zealots are very frightening people.

Also, did someone briefly change your avatar
There's a dude in the fanart thread who occasionally changes it to a furby. Probably as revenge for me posting undertale fanart.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

VideoGames posted:

I finished the first half of the season in Diablo3 last night and it made me exceptionally glad.
I think I may try to wean myself onto another game now that I've reached one of my goals.

However, it's just so much fun and feels so good! I am having the same problem that has faced all gamers: Too much game, too little time.
Do you have the expansion? It's really worth getting. Also there will be a new/old class introduced this year - the necromancer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Do you have the expansion? It's really worth getting. Also there will be a new/old class introduced this year - the necromancer.

I do! I'm on PS4 so it's included as standard.
I will definitely be getting any more expansions I can! I never played Diablo 1 or 2 so I'm not sure what to expect at all from it :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Necromancer gonna be free or paid DLC? I burned out completely on D3 after playing solidly for a month but I might go back for a new char though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish I could get into D3 like I was into D2 but it's just not the same. Even when they finally include Necromancer, Sir Ian McKillin won't ride again.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Lurdiak posted:

I wish I could get into D3 like I was into D2 but it's just not the same. Even when they finally include Necromancer, Sir Ian McKillin won't ride again.

I never enjoyed Diablo 3 on PC but the I had a great time with the Ultimate Evil edition on consoles. It's a great local co-op hack n'slash game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Necromancer gonna be free or paid DLC? I burned out completely on D3 after playing solidly for a month but I might go back for a new char though.

It'll be paid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i mostly play console games these days but thank u i will keep it in mind

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sefal posted:

I stand corrected.
I had no idea some of those games were kickstarters. I was wrong. Don't like all of them but FTL is fun as gently caress.

I do think we have reached a point where your Kickstarter is likely to be more successful if it doesn't have a "Joe Video Game: Inventor of the VIdeo Game" factor involved. Like eventually gamers learned that maybe these former high ranking guys who either left or were "Let go" from their companies, that it happened for a good reason. Whether it was ego, going over budget while missing deadlines, or some other various factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I do think we have reached a point where your Kickstarter is likely to be more successful if it doesn't have a "Joe Video Game: Inventor of the VIdeo Game" factor involved. Like eventually gamers learned that maybe these former high ranking guys who either left or were "Let go" from their companies, that it happened for a good reason. Whether it was ego, going over budget while missing deadlines, or some other various factors.

Goony auteurs as video game creators are way more effective when they have an editor.

• Locked thread