Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

:siren:If you're an EU player on the NA datacentre, read this!:siren:

There's one week to go until the US datacentres change location, and while nothing is confirmed yet, it's looking like it's going to hit EU players pretty hard. While it still remains to be seen if the ping increase will be bad enough to make us move, as a precautionary measure I thought it best we agree ahead of time where we should all migrate to, so that we all end up in the same place with a new EU free company (seeing as the existing one on Moogle seems to be dead).

I've read up as much as I can about the EU servers and created a strawpoll off the back of it, and whichever gets the most votes is where we're going. It's worth noting that EU server population on average seems fairly high, the lowest populated servers are Lich and Zodiark and they fall mid table on this activity list. As far as language goes, outside of Moogle (unofficial French server) and Shiva (unofficial German server), it seems there is no problem finding English speakers, though Cerberus and Phoenix seem to be the unofficial English servers. I've hopefully enough info in the poll as possible, I don't want to keep making new if people have voted, so I'll keep an eye on the thread and if anyone has more info for me I'll edit it into this post.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

Just to reiterate, none of this is set in stone. It may be that the ping increase isn't so bad that we should move, but if it is, we know where to set up.

Notes:
- Ragnarok seems to be the hub for PVP, if that's your bag.
Lobby server IPs have had their DNS entries updated for Aether (neolobby04.ffxiv.com) and Primal (neolobby02.ffxiv.com). New servers are in Sacramento, CA, based on this. If they are keeping the same server IP ranges as before (which it looks like based on the IPs those two lobbies return), 204.2.229.41 would be one of the servers hosting Excalibur. Get checking your pings! For comparison, 195.82.50.45 is Ragnarok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sorry to bring Bard chat back up again but is there any general advice about song use? They all seem situational enough that it really is just kinda "go with helps the party at the moment" but for the elemental defense decreasing song,it it counting just for actual elemental spells or is it also increasing elemental damage done? Because i'm assuming other classes also have moves that "do x potency wind damage" for example.

Also does using a song count as generating threat? I've sometimes run into the trouble of stealing aggro from the tank even when not really doing all that much to steal it away. Yet othertimes things will be fine regardless of what i'm doing with songs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well if that's true, my ping went down nearly 100ms without a VPN (compared to with a VPN) so uh, hm..

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Damnit Squeenix, you hosed up. Putting the servers on the west coast was the LAST thing you should have done.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

225ms, fuuuuuck me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ilifinicus posted:

Lobby server IPs have had their DNS entries updated for Aether (neolobby04.ffxiv.com) and Primal (neolobby02.ffxiv.com). New servers are in Sacramento, CA, based on this. If they are keeping the same server IP ranges as before (which it looks like based on the IPs those two lobbies return), 204.2.229.41 would be one of the servers hosting Excalibur. Get checking your pings! For comparison, 195.82.50.45 is Ragnarok.

Thanks for this.
code:
--- 204.2.229.41 ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 12 received, 0% packet loss, time 11002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 211.013/212.191/212.868/0.638 ms
From 140 to 210, so a 70ms ping increase from europe. Hopefully it's not too large?

For comparison:
code:
--- 195.82.50.45 ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 12 received, 0% packet loss, time 11016ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 31.315/32.193/35.106/1.137 ms

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Going up from 15ms to 85ms. I don't even think I want to play anymore, it'll be an entirely new (and way worse) game for what I enjoy doing with Stormblood right around the corner.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
"People called Garlanes they go the house?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
100 percent packet loss! Guess I -won't- be playing on my day off tomorrow.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Niton posted:

Going up from 15ms to 85ms. I don't even think I want to play anymore, it'll be an entirely new (and way worse) game for what I enjoy doing with Stormblood right around the corner.

Oh woe is you, truly having a better ping than people on the west coast were living with before the move is the end of the world. If you're complaining about a less than 100 ms ping you need to get some perspective.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

:five:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Uuh West Coast, what can go wrong. Maybe it's time to trust the client more because this is going to be fun :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Leofish posted:

"Liberty or Death"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

100 percent packet loss! Guess I -won't- be playing on my day off tomorrow.

If you were pinging neolobby02.ffxiv.com directly it doesn't appear respond to ping.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It looks like mine will be 96, which I suppose isn't bad? I will admit that I honestly don't know.

As long as I can still do dungeons, the MSQ, and the occasional bout of PvP, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
garlandes eunt domus :colbert:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you were pinging neolobby02.ffxiv.com directly it doesn't appear respond to ping.

Nah, was trying the Excal IP address.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Leofish posted:

It looks like mine will be 96, which I suppose isn't bad? I will admit that I honestly don't know.

As long as I can still do dungeons, the MSQ, and the occasional bout of PvP, I'm sure I'll be fine.

You'll be right.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
210ms vs 25ms...

Playing at the same time as other people is sounding more and more attractive.

Waci fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 16, 2017

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Sorry to bring Bard chat back up again but is there any general advice about song use? They all seem situational enough that it really is just kinda "go with helps the party at the moment" but for the elemental defense decreasing song,it it counting just for actual elemental spells or is it also increasing elemental damage done? Because i'm assuming other classes also have moves that "do x potency wind damage" for example.

Also does using a song count as generating threat? I've sometimes run into the trouble of stealing aggro from the tank even when not really doing all that much to steal it away. Yet othertimes things will be fine regardless of what i'm doing with songs.

Foes is basically just more spell damage for your casters. Possibly raid-wide in 20 man since it applies a "-resist" debuff to the boss.

Learn to sing swift song on reflex on dungeons. You're counted to be outside combat when your character automatically sheats his weapon. Don't sing the TP song or mana song if they're not really needed, they lower your dps and I'll shake my head because you're trying to "help". Look at party frames and figure if you want to give healers mana between pulls if the going is fast. Don't reward healers with lovely mana management. (Holy isn't bad mana management, give them mana between pulls.) If there is a caster or a DPS'ing healer use foe's. Possibly ninja, their raiton mudra benefits from it.

Use battle voice when you have a feeling most CD's are ready/ at pull. Decent idea to use with mana song in clusterfuck 20 mans if you see your healers are seriously struggling with mana and may not be able to properly aoe heal the next big hit because poo poo is hitting the fan.

Remember to deactivate foe if there are lulls in the fight to conserve your own mana. And between pulls (shouldn't be a thing since you are singing swift song between pulls, remember?) Foes has a max range too. Can't have it on both bosses in A1 for example if they are on the opposite sides of the arena.

Foes will get you aggroed since you apply a debuff. This can be tough when pre-singing, some bosses are really close to the entrance of the "battle zone" so be wary and take a step back. (And have your party thinking you're not actually ready, bard problems) Think Sephirot trial actually engages even if you're at the very edge of the platform. Pre-singing won't cost you much active time on the song since out of combat mana regen. Learn the opener, it's usually cast before anything else.

Not actually sure if the tp/mana song generate aggro or put you in enmity list of the enemy mobs.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

You'll be right.

Hey so how is the game treating you, were you still able to do most things?
I want to get mentally prepared

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Cleansable debuffs will have a mark above them.

20k HP chocobo!

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/002042.html

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

163ms for me. I'll live.

Except for when I die.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shy posted:

Hey so how is the game treating you, were you still able to do most things?
I want to get mentally prepared

(that was a particularly bad night because Telstra's backhaul and general infrastructure is astoundingly terrible, most of the time with VPN I'm around 250)

But yeah. I mostly play BLM, SCH and WAR. If you're going to move out of an AOE you need to act on it decisively but I have no issue with, say moving out of the BW second boss AOEs after Motion Tracking fades off.

Weight of the Land can be a bit poo poo but other than that the only thing that trips me up is needing to add more wait time to crafting macros sometimes :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Come to Cerberus its cool and good and pings are as low as my expectations of farm parties

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kind of the upper limit of acceptable, probably not worth transferring over. Will see how it actually feels ingame.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Gizmo Chicken posted:

20k HP chocobo!

The WAR has 55k HP.

In Deliverance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gizmo Chicken posted:

20k HP chocobo!

Good, now do the same for enemy buffs that can be removed by One Ilm Punch.

And, you know, add some of those.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
..... you guys whining about 200ms pings do know what ping ranges they designed the game around, right? Though why they didn't go with chicago or dfw (maybe vegas) is a mystery.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

..... you guys whining about 200ms pings do know what ping ranges they designed the game around, right? Though why they didn't go with chicago or dfw (maybe vegas) is a mystery.

Congratulations on making it feel more laggy than it should be with a ping below what they designed around, I guess. +50 to +100 ms isn't going to make that better.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
..... you guys whining about people talking about pings do know that just because something works doesn't mean it couldn't be more enjoyable if it worked better, right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

balls, 123 ping, up from 40. ill miss the servers being an 8 hour drive away.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

The first half of that was downright cringeworthy

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
90ms is okay but you still occasionally get noticeably hosed over by lag with e.g. spells being interrupted because you moved as soon as the cast bar disappeared and the server decided you weren't done casting.

My ping just went from 90 to 160-170 so I guess I'll see how bad it is over the next couple of weeks and just cancel my sub if it's noticeably worse. Going to be fun throwing the code of commerce at Square until they refund me the £35 I paid for SB if that happens, I guess.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

90ms is okay but you still occasionally get noticeably hosed over by lag with e.g. spells being interrupted because you moved as soon as the cast bar disappeared and the server decided you weren't done casting.

I didn't notice this (with 180 or so), in fact the game would frequently let me finish casting if I started moving before the cast bar disappears, it takes the same amount of time to register your movement for an interrupt

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Valicious posted:

The first half of that was downright cringeworthy

lol the song's fine. If anything it's probably the first time one of these songs has felt like the vocals don't really enhance it.

It's hard to compete with the awesome HW theme, though. Uemetsu's still a goddamn genius and the song's composition is top-notch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

I play casters exclusively, and this literally never happened to me at >100ms ping.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Better than answers, worse than dragonsong.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
git gud guys

Pinging 204.2.229.41 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=51
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=51
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=51
Reply from 204.2.229.41: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 204.2.229.41:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 69ms, Average = 59ms

AOE circles are client-side right? I still get hit even when out of the circle on Titan EX cause my computer sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shy posted:

I didn't notice this (with 180 or so), in fact the game would frequently let me finish casting if I started moving before the cast bar disappears, it takes the same amount of time to register your movement for an interrupt
That's true, the flipside is that the game then determines that you're still casting/moving even if you're not anymore, so it doesn't let you cast yet.

• Locked thread