Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zeeman posted:

Can't wait for Spidey to team up with PR Man

*gasp* What if PR-Man is the villain and Spidey teams up with the Mole-Man to save the women they love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Why is Mole Man depressed? He took a delightful detour through the sewers. I thought he liked being under the surface :saddowns:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

flosofl posted:

*gasp* What if PR-Man is the villain and Spidey teams up with the Mole-Man to save the women they love?

I don't know if we deserve a world this wonderful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Moleman confuses himself for a ninja turtle.

so halfway through the ride to the studio, they switched to a different limo, Mole-Man decided to go via sewers and Peter Parker got recast as Jerry Sienfeld?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bunnyofdoom posted:

So tiny, no-one can read/

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

flosofl posted:

Everything going on with the perspective of the 1st panel is making my mind hurt.

It's simple, that's not a manhole cover, Mole Man just switched to following them in his inconspicuous Mole Tank, and that's the hatch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Say the movie's name as often as possible!

"Well, in my new movie, Marvella II, I play the character of Marvella II, who, in Marvella II, fights her enemy, who is a new character for this movie, Marvella II...

The parody is less absurd than the original.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

So Perlmutter is Osborne? Thay actually makes a ton of sense.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Never thought that the comic storyline I'm most invested in in the year 2017 is the one about how thirsty Mole Man is for the elderly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Never thought that the comic storyline I'm most invested in in the year 2017 is the one about how thirsty Mole Man is for the elderly.

I doubt it will beat the adventures of naked Rocket and his murdering ways, but with this strip you never know.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cabbit posted:

I did a thing:

:golfclap:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm hoping that "Jacky" becomes Jackal and that Moley is the true hero of this arc.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Cakefarts Carol posted:

I'm hoping that "Jacky" becomes Jackal and that Moley is the true hero of this arc.

Now I'm imagining how great a Newspaper Spider-Man Clone Saga would be

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Zeeman posted:

Now I'm imagining how great a Newspaper Spider-Man Clone Saga would be

Has there been Newspaper Venom? Because I want to see that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh my God, I can't believe Moleman's underground wedding was seven years ago. I was loving dying strip after strip that whole storyline.

Though I don't remember how it resolved. After May came down with Spelunker's Lung or w/e, did Moley wistfully bid her farewell and they all just went their separate ways?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh my God, I can't believe Moleman's underground wedding was seven years ago.

It was?!

Oh Jesus, no.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tiggum posted:

The parody is less absurd than the original.

You're overlooking the built in cleavage on the model's uniform.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ImpAtom posted:

It was?!

Oh Jesus, no.

It started sometime in the fall of 2010.

Oh God... oh no...

What is NSM doing to us?!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

It started sometime in the fall of 2010.

Oh God... oh no...

What is NSM doing to us?!

NSM's Time Dilation Effect has escaped containment!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt it will beat the adventures of naked Rocket and his murdering ways, but with this strip you never know.
Every time you think this comic can't possibly top itself, it does.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Though I don't remember how it resolved. After May came down with Spelunker's Lung or w/e, did Moley wistfully bid her farewell and they all just went their separate ways?
I think so, yeah.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That arc ended with a sad Mole Man on his throne.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Peter, there's a difference between "fame" and "infamy"....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Peter, there's a difference between "fame" and "infamy"....

Hey, the President of the UNited States got Spider-Man onto a plane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pete: You know as a famous Superhe-
MJ: Oh honey..... :shobon:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

During the entire interview on TV while Moleman peeps, I want to see Peter calling his superhero friends asking them if they think he's famous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

During the entire interview on TV while Moleman peeps, I want to see Peter calling his superhero friends asking them if they think he's famous.

he doesn't have super hero friends. every super hero he knows greets him with punches to the face.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Is Spider-Man this much of a third-division loser and general butt monkey in the main comics? Just seems a bit odd for Marvel's most famous character to be a clueless dork who regularly gets clowned (sometimes literally) by villains and other superheroes alike.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Payndz posted:

Is Spider-Man this much of a third-division loser and general butt monkey in the main comics? Just seems a bit odd for Marvel's most famous character to be a clueless dork who regularly gets clowned (sometimes literally) by villains and other superheroes alike.

He used to be the 'regular guy' superhero who is down on his luck a lot trying to balance superhero-ing, studies, a job, family, girlfriend and all that.

Now he's a Fortune 500 CEO/inventor on the same level as Tony Stark.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Spider-Man's charm (really the central premise of his character) comes from the fact that he's a put-upon average guy trying to use his astonishing powers for good despite life's slings and arrows. Back in the 60s, this was what set Marvel apart in the comics industry and, arguably, revolutionised the whole practise of storytelling in comics: while DC traded in strong, heroic archetypes Doing What is Right, Marvel introduced a range of characters who were weird, had flaws, and were comparatively more grounded.

Like, DC's flagship character is Batman, but back then Batman wasn't the flawed, layered, psychologically textured character people know him as today. He was a goofy costumed do-gooder who had adventures where a laser gave him a magnetised zebra costume or, like, flattened him into a disc. Not all Batman stories were goofy, but his character back in the early 60s was pretty simple: he was a brave hero who fought costumed kooks and upheld the law with the help of his child sidekick. He was rich, talented, and supremely capable, and if he had serious problems they were usually of the zebra laser variety.

Spider-Man was a poor teenager from a working class family in Queens who had to make enough money to get by selling photographs to a tyrannical boss. He was bullied at school, unlucky in love, and not always so great at the whole hero thing. There's an early story where he has to fight crime with a broken arm, and another where Aunt May nearly dies because Peter, serving as the donor in a blood transfusion for her, doesn't realise that his blood is still radioactive from the spider bite and will poison her from the inside out. Understandably, people related more to the average guy trying to do what was right despite his life being confusing and hard than they did, at that point, to flawless archetypes like Batman and Superman. DC eventually picked up the lead after they realised they needed to compete with the narrative complexity that was driving Marvel's massive commercial success, and that's why we have the comics industry we have today.

That said, Newspaper Spider-Man is astonishingly, beautifully incompetent and that is part of his unique charm. But it's coming from somewhere.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And then you get people like Joe Quesada. :shepface:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The MSJ posted:

Now he's a Fortune 500 CEO/inventor on the same level as Tony Stark.

The company/money was made when Doc Ock was occupying his body right? I choose to believe with all my heart that Peter just has no idea how to run "his" company and is bumbling his way along while his board of directors keeps everything going in spite of him :shobon:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Has there been Newspaper Venom? Because I want to see that.

They said they plan to make venom the focus of the series grand finale if they ever reach that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The company/money was made when Doc Ock was occupying his body right? I choose to believe with all my heart that Peter just has no idea how to run "his" company and is bumbling his way along while his board of directors keeps everything going in spite of him :shobon:

yea doc ock built up his company during superior spider-man

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

SilverSupernova posted:

They said they plan to make venom the focus of the series grand finale if they ever reach that.

Who said? I refuse to believe anyone involved in this strip has any contact with the outside world

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Payndz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fO1sY_Dg-M

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Jerusalem posted:

Yes. And the company is currently crumbling.

He'll be back to being a poor loser soon/.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ferrule posted:

Yes. And the company is currently crumbling.

He'll be back to being a poor loser soon/.

An even bigger one, too! It's one thing to be someone who never had much money but kept working and another to be on top of the world as a multi-millionaire and then go back down to being a regular schmoe because you couldn't handle it. Stark's been up and down a bunch of times but nobody ever expects him to stay down for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Android Blues posted:

Spider-Man's charm (really the central premise of his character) comes from the fact that he's a put-upon average guy trying to use his astonishing powers for good despite life's slings and arrows. Back in the 60s, this was what set Marvel apart in the comics industry and, arguably, revolutionised the whole practise of storytelling in comics: while DC traded in strong, heroic archetypes Doing What is Right, Marvel introduced a range of characters who were weird, had flaws, and were comparatively more grounded.

Like, DC's flagship character is Batman, but back then Batman wasn't the flawed, layered, psychologically textured character people know him as today. He was a goofy costumed do-gooder who had adventures where a laser gave him a magnetised zebra costume or, like, flattened him into a disc. Not all Batman stories were goofy, but his character back in the early 60s was pretty simple: he was a brave hero who fought costumed kooks and upheld the law with the help of his child sidekick. He was rich, talented, and supremely capable, and if he had serious problems they were usually of the zebra laser variety.

Spider-Man was a poor teenager from a working class family in Queens who had to make enough money to get by selling photographs to a tyrannical boss. He was bullied at school, unlucky in love, and not always so great at the whole hero thing. There's an early story where he has to fight crime with a broken arm, and another where Aunt May nearly dies because Peter, serving as the donor in a blood transfusion for her, doesn't realise that his blood is still radioactive from the spider bite and will poison her from the inside out. Understandably, people related more to the average guy trying to do what was right despite his life being confusing and hard than they did, at that point, to flawless archetypes like Batman and Superman. DC eventually picked up the lead after they realised they needed to compete with the narrative complexity that was driving Marvel's massive commercial success, and that's why we have the comics industry we have today.

That said, Newspaper Spider-Man is astonishingly, beautifully incompetent and that is part of his unique charm. But it's coming from somewhere.

Yeah, between Pete being a down on his luck loser nerd, and the Hulk/Bruce Banner just wanting to be left alone and travel the land while The Man kept hassling him and fighting him, early silver age Marvel genuinely revitalized the market so that teens and college students were regularly reading their books...because they related to the characters. Look at polls done on colleges at the time, and you'll see those two were legitimate counter-culture heroes to these kids.

• Locked thread