Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A lot of content creators know they're making subpar work. I think it's rare to get something malicious where creators basically poo poo in a box and rush it to the shelves, but the reality of content creation is that you can't be 100% on point when you need to put out product for a living. Everyone is constrained by budgets, deadlines, and various other factors which negates a terrible phrase like "make better stuff." But also let's not pretend that people aren't content with being "just good enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Wait, Vasel is calling out publishers for making mediocre games with all the trash he likes? Glass houses, buddy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Also hilarious that Vassel of all people says that when his videos STILL look like they were filmed with a 90's camcorder in a basement with fluorescent lighting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Look man, he doesn't want to have to use some mindbogglingly difficult recording setup.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jabor posted:

Look man, he doesn't want to have to use some mindbogglingly difficult recording setup.

The current way is "fun"

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

We played Merchant of Venus tonight and it was a fun experience, but I wouldn't want to play it again soon. I got very lucky by discovering both the Mulligan Drive and Jump Start relics early on.

But then one turn something extremely improbable happened. I jumped to the #1 teleporter, which was just above the Cloud. My plan was to scoot counter-clockwise around to sell something for high demand. There was only one mystery asteroid in the way, so I figured I could pick up another relic there, or more likely ignore it to sell my goods, or if it was a hazard, I'd just pay the cost since I was headed for a big payday. It turned out to be another teleporter, sending me back into an endless loop for the rest of that turn and blocking that path forever.

In the long run, the winner was the player who figured out the most efficient loop, on the Western edge of the map. He deserved the win, but I still feel like there was way too much randomness for a 3-hour game, and playing a shorter version would only have been more random. I only came in second because the third player got extra screwed by bad rolls.

Perhaps the part I liked least was that you have to declare your direction before rolling the dice. Or maybe that one player could roll an 18 and the next player could roll a 3. Even in the 80s they should have seen that's a major design flaw.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0FISauPKE

Any of you try any of these? I've never dabbled with this kind of game before, the kind where it's pretty much just one-and-done and you can't really replay it unless you can somehow manage to forget everything about it, but I'm curious about how well these games work as fun puzzles for a small group to work their way through.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nimby posted:

I'll bet my life on it that any niche variation of monopoly has had enough souvenir shop sales to break even or make a small profit.

Funny story - if you want to help your hobby, don't buy the original version of Monopoly. Until the indie games explosion, hobby stores were required to order copies of Monopoly if they wanted to do business with the distributors. And that's the only reason they did, because Monopoly retails at about 1% above the wholesale price.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Jedit posted:

Funny story - if you want to help your hobby, don't buy the original version of Monopoly. Until the indie games explosion, hobby stores were required to order copies of Monopoly if they wanted to do business with the distributors. And that's the only reason they did, because Monopoly retails at about 1% above the wholesale price.

Using Monopoly to perpetuate a monopoly situation, of sorts. Clever.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

The presenter makes one minor error in the video: At the start of each deckbuilding phase, you reveal the ELEMENT meta. After the first timer finishes, you reveal the TYPE meta. The presenter gets these backwards.

Notably this is an easy mistake to make because the #1 and #2 on the store mat are the wrong way around in. I'm not sure if later printings fixed this.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Also hilarious that Vassel of all people says that when his videos STILL look like they were filmed with a 90's camcorder in a basement with fluorescent lighting.

Top 10 Things Tom Vassel Need to STOP Doing!

#1 - Wearing stupid hats.

lummawks fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 16, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
#2 - Breathing.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Jedit posted:

Also then you own monopoly.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't own monopoly but I do own the game of life

It's worse

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

It's worse

At least you get laid playing the Game of Life.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you try any of these? I've never dabbled with this kind of game before, the kind where it's pretty much just one-and-done and you can't really replay it unless you can somehow manage to forget everything about it, but I'm curious about how well these games work as fun puzzles for a small group to work their way through.

Funny you should mention these, I've been thinking about picking up one of them. It doesn't hurt that they're super inexpensive. If I actually do grab one and manage get it to the table, I'll try to remember to post impressions.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lichtenstein posted:

#2 - Breathing.

At least he would finally get to see his Lord and savior.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

please knock Mom! posted:

It's worse
I vehemently disagree. The game of Life is random, haphazard, completely arbitrary, and you spend far too long on it just to discover that who succeeds and who dies poor is entirely up to the whims of fate.

It's the best example of expressing theme through mechanics in the industry.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

lummawks posted:

#1 - Stop wearing stupid hats.

Doesn't this mean he would have to keep wearing stupid hats?

(I'll show myself out.)

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What would be some good solo Hand Management games?

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Doesn't this mean he would have to keep wearing stupid hats?

(I'll show myself out.)

drat you and your correctness (i dun fixed it).

Seriously though I can't stand the stupid hats, I wound up skimming through their playthtough of Pandemic Legacy (cause I hate myself and wanted to see how their board ended up compared to ours), and he changes hat every other game, even though all the games are recorded on the same day or something.

I get that it's become his gimmick, and pretty much everyone in here (myself included) don't give any weight to his reviews, but for better or worse (it's worst), he's become an ambassador for the hobby. And the popularity of Dice Tower means that people not deep in the hobby looking for a new board game or are wondering if "that dark souls board game is any good", chances are they'll end up at a Tom Vassel review on youtube, and then they see some weirdo wearing a bright blue fedora and a t-shirt talking about boardgames and it just confirms the stereotype they aldready had in their heads. Just dress like a normal person, you're an ambassador for a whole hobby (unfortunately).

tl;dr I get irrationally mad about stupid hats.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Selecta84 posted:

What would be some good solo Hand Management games?

Onirim is exactly what you want. It's quite literally hand management, the game. It's good too, and includes 7 expansions to switch things up between plays.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Got that one already...

But yeah, a nice little game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

lummawks posted:

#1 - Wearing stupid hats.

Lichtenstein posted:

#2 - Breathing.

#3 Unironically having a literal neckbeard.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Selecta84 posted:

Got that one already...

But yeah, a nice little game.

Gloomhaven?

Just got mechs vs minions which I had forgotten I ordered until shipping notification. That is a big rear end box

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Player my first full game of Advanced Civ on the weekend and loved it.

We only screwed up two rules, one was a player accidentally forgot to put five or so chits back into the box until halfway through (which may have had serious ramifications down the line), and the second was the constantly overlooked plunder rule where if you sack another player's city you get a trade good (which is insane).

It took ~13 hours from start to finish but honestly, it didn't drag until the last hour or so when turns began to be a little longer than they should have. Seriously an incredible little experience and if I had to pick between an 8-hour slog of TI:3 or half a day of Advanced Civ, AC would win almost every time. I really want to encourage anyone in this thread who has not had the chance to play it to take a chance and try it if you ever get the opportunity. Don't let the time length scare you. I was engaged nearly the entire time and the gameplay itself is elegant and simple.

My question is for anyone who has ever played Mega Civ: how does it compare to AC? The idea of playing with 18 people seems absolutely bonkers but insane enough to grab my interest. It's a shame the drat thing is difficult to find and blood expensive but so is AC.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FirstAidKite posted:

I know they sell reset kits for these. Like one of them had chemicals you mix to solve puzzles and they had the packet to reset the game to play again. I think its more a pass it to the next group and they can buy the reset. I am super down for a 1 time experience. Sometimes I look at big games that never see the table and those can be 1-3 time experiences. I'd love a spoiler free review if you play one.

Note: I have heard on podcasts and such that most of these are geared towards families. So there's purposefully simple shape puzzles along with more complex stuff in there, but people love playing it with kids.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Player my first full game of Advanced Civ on the weekend and loved it.

We only screwed up two rules, one was a player accidentally forgot to put five or so chits back into the box until halfway through (which may have had serious ramifications down the line), and the second was the constantly overlooked plunder rule where if you sack another player's city you get a trade good (which is insane).

It took ~13 hours from start to finish but honestly, it didn't drag until the last hour or so when turns began to be a little longer than they should have. Seriously an incredible little experience and if I had to pick between an 8-hour slog of TI:3 or half a day of Advanced Civ, AC would win almost every time. I really want to encourage anyone in this thread who has not had the chance to play it to take a chance and try it if you ever get the opportunity. Don't let the time length scare you. I was engaged nearly the entire time and the gameplay itself is elegant and simple.

My question is for anyone who has ever played Mega Civ: how does it compare to AC? The idea of playing with 18 people seems absolutely bonkers but insane enough to grab my interest. It's a shame the drat thing is difficult to find and blood expensive but so is AC.

Psst, forget about MegaCiv play Advanced Civ instead!! Glad you enjoyed it, I can no longer get a game together sadly.

-Jennifer Schlickbernd, member of the Advanced Civ design team.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lorini posted:

Psst, forget about MegaCiv play Advanced Civ instead!! Glad you enjoyed it, I can no longer get a game together sadly.

Ha, I forgot you worked on it. Why can't you get a game together? The funny thing is the guy who owns it said before a year ago when he co-founded a board game cafe, he hadn't played it in 17 years. Since he opened the cafe he's played it 3 times.

Here's a question I had though and I'm curious your thoughts. We played five players and one player ended up as Africa and appeared to have an easier ride than the rest of us for a variety of reasons, mostly related to European in-fighting, but also because he spawned with no Egyptian neighbour, which allowed him to spread out uncontested mostly to the East. Obviously we should have worked together to put a stop to it earlier (and we did in the last third mostly holding him off but it was too late), but aside from moving from the bottom of Italy or Iberia's territory, everyone else needed Astronomy to make it across the ocean all while dealing with territory squabbles and calamities. My question is am I right to feel it was imbalanced that Africa was given an entire area very difficult to contest versus the rest of us who were butting heads the whole time? Almost like there should have been barbarian hordes or something rather than just free land along a large strip?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lorini posted:

Lorini, what's the difference between advanced civ and mega civ?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I still love advanced civ, despite only playing it a few times since my yearly birthday plays growing up.

Plunder is super important, did you remember to get three chit flips at least? Almost as important as the trade good, I find population management to be one of the most important skills in the game, coinage is so good.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

I still love advanced civ, despite only playing it a few times since my yearly birthday plays growing up.

Plunder is super important, did you remember to get three chit flips at least? Almost as important as the trade good, I find population management to be one of the most important skills in the game, coinage is so good.

No, we completely hosed up the pillage/plunder rules. No trade goods and no chit transmogrification into valuables either. A big mistake, but one we won't make again.

I think next time I will rush agriculture > coinage > metalworking. Agriculture is just so critical, coinage is simply awesome, and metalworking basically gives you invisible free +1 on a ton of trade goods. Plus grabbing Engineering along the way doesn't hurt either!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Here's a question I had though and I'm curious your thoughts. We played five players and one player ended up as Africa and appeared to have an easier ride than the rest of us for a variety of reasons, mostly related to European in-fighting, but also because he spawned with no Egyptian neighbour, which allowed him to spread out uncontested mostly to the East.

Which is why you don't play Africa in a 5-player game unless you're using the Western Expansion Map in place of the Babylon flood plain. 5-player games should be drawn from Egypt, Babylon, Asia, Assyria, Crete and Thrace.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

No, we completely hosed up the pillage/plunder rules. No trade goods and no chit transmogrification into valuables either. A big mistake, but one we won't make again.

I think next time I will rush agriculture > coinage > metalworking. Agriculture is just so critical, coinage is simply awesome, and metalworking basically gives you invisible free +1 on a ton of trade goods. Plus grabbing Engineering along the way doesn't hurt either!

I mean basically everything is good, it's all about prioritizing.

Changes per civ, too; africa and crete desperately need astronomy and cloth making, africa needs military, egypt and babylon need engineering, but nearly everyone needs agriculture, metalworking.

Love dat game so much.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

We've done a bunch of these, and a lot of "real" escape rooms. Both are mixed bags; lots of puzzles are way too easy, others have dumb rules, others have real groaner solutions. For a while we were sure there was some kind of legislation that an escape room (including these "boxed' ones) had to have one pretty good puzzle and one terrible one (like how sketch comedy shows have to alternate between hits and misses).

Of the ones we've done, I think we liked this one the best overall. It's super gimmicky, but we found it a good gimmick. It's also potentially problematic to reset. This one is a better time/$ value - there's 4 in the box, and the website has printable reset parts. Each one of the 4 had a groaner, but there was also some entertaining bits and fun gimmicks. Our copy has probably got 3 uses out of each puzzle so far; my wife and I did a run, the guys at work did one, and some friends did another on a game night.

I can't happily recommend any of them, really, but they do basically work and they've always made for a pleasant and social activity, though I'm usually left with an unscratched itch for a proper puzzle.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Which is why you don't play Africa in a 5-player game unless you're using the Western Expansion Map in place of the Babylon flood plain. 5-player games should be drawn from Egypt, Babylon, Asia, Assyria, Crete and Thrace.

Uh Asia and Assyria? We don't play with Asia now (or at least the last few times I played). We don't like to hand hold Asia because it takes something away from the game for us. Babylon is a far better choice if using that panel. If I recall correctly, there's little reason to take Africa over Egypt anyway, since you no longer have to worry about bouncing. The Africa guy slowed down his game by taking Africa. Africa is considered to be one of the weakest countries in the game actually.

Mega Civ takes up to 18 players is all I know. Being emotionally tied into Adv Civ made me shrug off Mega Civ :).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I played Millions of Dollars last night and really liked it. It was a bitch to grasp and it didn't gel until the third game but once it did it was extremely good.

It's essentially one of those games where you try to gently caress everyone over with negotiation (but not too much because you'll get dogpiled) but also has a role element that encourages bluffing. Some of the interactions can get a little complicated but overall I enjoyed it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lorini posted:

Uh Asia and Assyria? We don't play with Asia now (or at least the last few times I played). We don't like to hand hold Asia because it takes something away from the game for us. Babylon is a far better choice if using that panel. If I recall correctly, there's little reason to take Africa over Egypt anyway, since you no longer have to worry about bouncing. The Africa guy slowed down his game by taking Africa. Africa is considered to be one of the weakest countries in the game actually.

Africa is weak because it's boxed in by Egypt and Illyria/Iberia. If it can get out of its bad starting corner it can become strong, as both its fronts are on the same side of its territory. If I had to pick one of Africa and Egypt knowing the other wasn't in the game, I'd probably prefer Africa. If Egypt expands into Africa it is marching troops away from the front line with Babylon, but Africa is marching towards the front. (Plus of course your starting turf is so crap that everyone else will prefer to expand anywhere else.)

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013
Anyone have a solid strategy for Food Chain Magnate? Going to be playing it this week again and have one friend (owner of the game) who always wins. I've only played twice so far but haven't found anything that clicks and am unsure what the important early objectives are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Lorini posted:

In case you ever wonder if your game still gets played, I built it out of stuff I picked up at Michael's and, later, had the map screen printed so that I could make this:

Which unrolls to this:

And here's the Punic War because I love playing Africa even if it's a guaranteed loss:

My friends never forgave me for losing my original copy so I had to make another. It still has the best trading of any game I've ever played, hands-down.