Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The ACG guy recommends Wait for Sale on the Surge in his review and I tend to trust his opinion, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Help me PS4 thread, you're my only hope: Nier or Prey?

(I need a change of pace from Persona 5 and Factorio)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nier.

* haven't played prey.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Play Nier, it might not click with you but you might love it.

Prey is probably gonna have a price drop I the next couple of months.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

haven't played prey but nier is very good

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

The ACG guy recommends Wait for Sale on the Surge in his review and I tend to trust his opinion, so that's what I'm gonna do.

General consensus is extremely unoffensive but not compelling enough to buy at full price

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The negatives about The Surge applies to the people who thought Bloodborne sucked because of samey looking environments (what).

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It feels like a scifi Dark Souls so good job to them there. The main contention is there's no class system, and level up simply increases your power number to equip better gear and mods. I'm enjoying it but I can already see there's a lot less replay value than a Souls title.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

MrLonghair posted:

The negatives about The Surge applies to the people who thought Bloodborne sucked because of samey looking environments (what).

I've only seen early game footage but the problem with The Surge's environments is that there's no distinctive landmarks like in the Soulsborne series so it's super easy to get lost.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Obsurveyor posted:

Wow, this sounds like the biggest downer ever. Those games are mostly not good, especially solo. Tales from the Borderlands is the only good one.

Plenty of people like them just fine, even solo. Handsome Collection is usually pretty cheap and a hell of a lot of game for the money, so worth a punt if someone thinks they might enjoy them. Hardly the "biggest downer ever". This isn't going out on a limb to defend a quirky niche game. The Borderlands games are relatively popular and a lot of people think they're good and like them (although the people that don't like them tend to really not like them). Might be different if we were talking about something that's pretty much universally loathed (Hi Battleborn!).

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 16, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I watched a bit of Surge last night and was interested. I haven't played any of the Souls Games and had no interest in them, but the fact that I liked what I saw with Surge makes me wonder if my lack of interest was more to do with the setting than gameplay/difficulty. Probably wait for a sale or rent it to give it a try.

I guess one advantage is that if it turns out I like the gameplay enough to get over my complete disinterest in Souls style Grim/Gothic Fantasy I can grab all of them pretty cheap now.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 16, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bubbapook posted:

Never played Nier but I'm having tons of fun with Prey. I think I'm probably in one of the groups of people who REALLY love it though - most people would probably be fine buying it when it's $40 or whatever.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Nier is 40 hours and Prey is 20~25 hours if gameplay time is important to you

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm concerned. The Surge doesn't actually look half bad.

Gonna be mediocre, at best. Lords of the Fallen is a really bad title and if this game is ten times better than it, it'll still be only okay. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Does X-COM 2 always run like rear end, or is it just the PS4 version? The game chugs, drop frames...nothing gamebreaking, but it's really jarringly bad and I recall early reviews noting this and I'm sort of shocked it wasn't fixed by now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That just how X-COM 2 runs unless you have a top of the line pc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MrLonghair posted:

I can kind of see that if somehow you only did Yharnam then chalice dungeons. I don't know why you would do that, but I guess you could.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MrLonghair posted:

I wonder about the enemies as well, especially the bosses. I've only seen the first few areas and one boss and sub-boss, but unless style of enemies changes big robots/mechs seem a bit more mechanically limited than the grotesque supernatural monstrosities of Souls/BB.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Gravy Jones posted:

I wonder about the enemies as well, especially the bosses. I've only seen the first few areas and one boss and sub-boss, but unless style of enemies changes big robots/mechs seem a bit more mechanically limited than the grotesque supernatural monstrosities of Souls/BB.

That seems to be the major criticism of the Surge. Not enough variation in the monster/boss types as you progress, so there's not much to excite.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the early areas in bloodborne are all pretty similar since they're all part of the same city. I'm sure a bunch of people played the game, didn't get that far, and just assume that's the way the whole game is. I do think it's unfortunate that they don't let you out of the city earlier unless you find the hidden gaol area

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Souls games are fine but to me they're still ugly as sin. I know a lot of people find the graphics to be great but the washed out low contrast look just doesn't do it for me. DS3 was okay because From finally discovered specular lighting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm replaying DS2 with a friend at the moment and apart from some areas, a lot of it is HIDEOUS copy/pasted flat textures. It definitely suffered from the lighting engine being changed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Drangleic entrance, Shrine of Anime and the uh..dragon boss cage thing areas all look really nice but the rest of DS2 is pretty drab. Which is fitting, but..yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Souls games are fine but to me they're still ugly as sin. I know a lot of people find the graphics to be great but the washed out low contrast look just doesn't do it for me. DS3 was okay because From finally discovered specular lighting.

DS3 looked the worst to me because everything is loving grey everywhere.

Bloodborne as always is the best, everything pops in that despite being set entirely at night.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Demon's Souls looks like rear end and I love it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I played DS3 on an expensive-rear end PC and it looks really great maxed out at 1440p, although I hear the performance is considerably worse on PS4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think DS3 mostly looks better than BB but BB has way better effects for things like getting blood and gunk all over you. DS3 it's just ash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Demon's Souls looks like rear end and I love it

The Nexus is the coolest area From have ever done, Shrine of Storms where you find the Storm King and the final area of the game look amazing.

I think the only thing Demon's doesn't have is particularly good textures.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

demon's souls looked great but it's also like 8 years old now, so

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it for the first time last year and sure it's pretty low fidelity but it has atmosphere dripping out of every orifice, more so than any of the Dark games probably.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
None of them hold a candle to the sumptuous visual feat that is King's Field

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/snes-style-harvest-moon-game-coming-to-nintendo-sw/1100-6450072/

The Harvest Moon clone Harvest Moon is coming to PS4.

If you don't know the story: Marvelous (of Senran Kagura fame) bought Xseed to publish their games in the US, but Natsume didn't want to give up a valuable trademark and it was renamed Story of Seasons. Natsume has since been selling their own Harvest Moon farming game that uses some Minecraft like elements for the farming.
:goonsay:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope that one day From can attain the visual worldbuilding heights of Super Monkey Ball 2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I played it for the first time last year and sure it's pretty low fidelity but it has atmosphere dripping out of every orifice, more so than any of the Dark games probably.

it'd look fantastic if they remastered it. the environment and monster designs are top tier

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't need high fidelity graphics to have the best loading screens in the series

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bubbapook posted:

I finished Prey, Prey is bad.

Nier is good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
If you want a change of pace from a huge anime RPG, don't pick Nier.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Just got a PS4 (last console I owned was a PS2). I bought Persona 5 and I'm thinking about getting another game for the next months.

Should I get Bloodborne, Yakuza, Horizon Zero Dawn or Nioh ? (Any other console exclusive coming out in the next weeks to watch for?)

I was leaning more towards Bloodborne since I'm a Souls fan, but I already played a few hours on my friends console, so... maybe I should get something different :ohdear:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

ZZZorcerer posted:

Just got a PS4 (last console I owned was a PS2). I bought Persona 5 and I'm thinking about getting another game for the next months.

Should I get Bloodborne, Yakuza, Horizon Zero Dawn or Nioh ? (Any other console exclusive coming out in the next weeks to watch for?)

I was leaning more towards Bloodborne since I'm a Souls fan, but I already played a few hours on my friends console, so... maybe I should get something different :ohdear:

You should get all those games eventually but Bloodborne is probably a great place to start given your background.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I find it amazing how young most goon gamers are when they ask what style of game Telltale games are... There was a period of literally 2 decades where adventure games were the bread and butter of gaming, mainly due to technological limitations" telling a good story.

Y'all are too young.

Also, I heard the Batman one is quite good. I haven't actually played any of them yet, though I've been gifted most on Steam.

Edit:

Sakurazuka posted:

That just how X-COM 2 runs unless you have a top of the line pc.

This is wrong. My 3 year old laptop can play it maxed out just fine. It just has bad console ports. Now you all know what PC gamers feel like 80% of the time.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Much like how Weezer and the Simpsons haven't been good since the 90s, so too does Telltale's reputation suffer from the inevitable passage of time.