Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ponsonby Britt posted:

An ordinarily prudent person of average skill and judgment would recognize that the civil justice system needs to be disrupted. That's why I'm inviting you to invest in my new app, TortFeasr! It polls a carefully selected set of users on their thoughts and beliefs about what they would do in a given situation which matches your pre-entered fact pattern. Then, the algorithm goes to work! Finally, a report is generated which creates a composite standard guaranteed* to convince the judge or jury that your position is correct! TortFeasr: Because torts should be feasible!

*All guarantees are disclaimed, express or implied. By reading this comment you hereby agree to release TortFeasr, its owners, employees, successors or assigns from any liability related to misuse or ordinary use of the app. TortFeasr is a trademark and unsanctioned use will be vigorously prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The terms of this post are to be interpreted under Delaware law. TortFeasr is not affiliated with TortFeastr, George R.R. Martin, or Lemonpies LLC. If any sentence of this post is deemed to be void by a court of competent jurisdiction, the other sentences are fully severable. TortFeasr is not a licensed attorney and cannot legally notarize documents. All advice is for entertainment purposes only.
One of the somewhat strange quirks about law firms is that non-lawyers are generally not allowed to own investment stakes in them. I'm not exactly sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volcott posted:

Wasn't the stolen tech kind of the keystone of the whole thing?

it doesnt matter either way, viable fully autonomous self driving cars ready for the mass market are at least a decade away. uber doesn't have that kind of time, and even if they did it's not clear how uber would leverage self driving tech to become profitable. it makes far more sense for uber to buy other firms' technology or vehicles but uber needs to justify more investment, which means they need a pointless R&D program to keep more investors confident in the future of uber

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Volcott posted:

Wasn't the stolen tech kind of the keystone of the whole thing?

No. Uber already had an R&D program. Waymo's claim in the lawsuit is that Uber stole their tech with the help of Levandowski in order to accelerate that research.

boner confessor posted:

it doesnt matter either way, viable fully autonomous self driving cars ready for the mass market are at least a decade away. uber doesn't have that kind of time

That's probably exactly why they took such a risk. They know they can't last ten years at their current trajectory, so they were hoping to cut down that time as much as possible.

They may get their wish, too. According to the judge, Waymo so far has not proven that the stolen IP has made it into Uber's self-driving technology, which is why he has not issued a preliminary injunction to stop the program. However, he found Waymo's evidence compelling enough that he referred the case to federal prosecutors, which means it can become a criminal case. And that is when things would get really exciting.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

One of the somewhat strange quirks about law firms is that non-lawyers are generally not allowed to own investment stakes in them. I'm not exactly sure why.

It's the same reason as most CPA firms, which is regulation to avoid misconceptions that a partner or shareholder is an attorney/CPA/doctor/etc. simply because they are a partner or shareholder in the firm - there also may be malpractice insurance and other related issues that restrict non-attorney/CPA/doctor folks for being partners or shareholders (since they are not attorneys/CPAs/doctors and therefore send the analysis for insurance, etc. out of whack).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/15/uploadvr-sued-over-rampant-sexual-behavior-in-the-workplace-and-wrongful-termination/

quote:

UploadVR is being sued by the company’s former Director of Digital and Social Media for sexual harassment, sex and gender discrimination and wrongful termination, TechCrunch has learned.
UploadVR even set up a room to encourage sexual intercourse at the workplace. The room was referred to as the “kink room” and contained a bed. Male employees used that room to have sexual intercourse, which was disruptive and inappropriate. Often, underwear and condom wrappers would be found in the room.”

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Did the male employees have sex with themselves or was it like a no girls allowed room.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

A VR company encouraging employees to have real life sexual encounters sounds like they don't have confidence in their industry.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spazzle posted:

A VR company encouraging employees to have real life sexual encounters sounds like they don't have confidence in their industry.

Or they were trying to do some A/B testing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

At least they practiced safe sex? :shobon:

I'm trying to imagine how I'd react to talking to a guy and he's all like 'hey why don't you come over to the office so we can bang in the company fuckroom on my lunchbreak'. I wonder how often they change the sheets.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta enjoy it while it's still legal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Did the male employees have sex with themselves or was it like a no girls allowed room.
I mean I'm certainly hoping it was a 24/7 gay fuckfest funded by VCs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Uber is in deep poo poo. They're big enough that they'll survive, but between this lawsuit and the criminal investigation over Greyball they're going to have a bad year or two. Or more.
They are hemorrhaging money so who knows.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Levandowski forbidden to work on lidar at Uber.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I want this to be true so bad.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That's a dick thing to do.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Yeah who the gently caress has a Skype meeting at Starbucks?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:capitalism:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

PJOmega posted:

Yeah who the gently caress has a Skype meeting at Starbucks?

I've seen plenty at the McDonald's in Palo Alto

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's poo poo that didn't happen.txt

What person blows $300 on a whim that the randos you overhear in a Starbucks are a) wealthy enough to compensate you and b) are willing to do so instead of just think up a new name.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe he works for godaddy

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He could have just been lying about buying the domains.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

WampaLord posted:

What person blows $300 on a whim that the randos you overhear in a Starbucks are a) wealthy enough to compensate you and b) are willing to do so instead of just think up a new name.

sure it's probably made up but lmao have you ever actually been to the bay area

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WampaLord posted:

"alright, forget about 'twapper' then. Lets go with 'yukky'"

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They call it the Kink Room

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

This so so wrong.

The whole point of workplace sex is the thrill of not getting caught!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Freakazoid_ posted:

This so so wrong.

The whole point of workplace sex is the thrill of not getting caught!
If you're an everyday worker violating the HR policy, sure.

If you're an executive, you gotta up the stakes and experience the thrill of risking financial ruin by promoting a hostile environment.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Maybe they did keep catching people having sex at work and decided to "legalize" it instead of losing half their bro-coders every month.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Maybe they should hire fewer pubescent assholes.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I know Silicon Valley is all about dreaming big but we've got to stick to solutions that are at least a little bit plausible

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Mozi posted:

Maybe they should hire fewer pubescent assholes.

Lol. You have to pay people more if they have that much self awareness.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Relevant Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/sehurlburt/status/864686501547827200

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'll just leave this here.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Baby Babbeh posted:

Lol. You have to pay people more if they have that much self awareness.

There is also a cost to having to fire people and find replacements. Or to settle litigation. And of damage to reputation.

Might not matter for startups whose goal is to be bought out before the edifice of possible profitability collapses, but over the long term a toxic work environment is a bad thing.

It's certainly not the case that the field demands that one hire assholes; it's just laziness and shortsightedness.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Tesla: disrupting the integrity of muscle, bone, and cartilage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't think anyone who resorted to stealing tech can be considered a "star engineer", unless you're at war and stealing another country's tech.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
After Germany has already outlawed Uber Pop, they now set their sights on Uber Black's more traditional limo service.

They have to ask the ECJ first, but the highest German civil court apparently thinks Uber Black is illegal as well. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randler posted:

After Germany has already outlawed Uber Pop, they now set their sights on Uber Black's more traditional limo service.

They have to ask the ECJ first, but the highest German civil court apparently thinks Uber Black is illegal as well. :allears:

On what basis if I might pry?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

MiddleOne posted:

On what basis if I might pry?

Public transports, including cabs and limo services, are regulated. You may only pick up hails if you operate with a cab license. If you are a limo service, you may only provide services that get requested at your office. The idea behind this is, that you want to limit the number of vehicles cruising the streets for rides. Keeping this in mind, Uber does not receive rides at their office, because they use an app and keep their cars cruising through the city thereby violating regulation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Interesting that Uber Black doesn't obey the laws in Germany. In the US, they're usually the only division of Uber which does follow the laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It must be a weird gig to be a lawyer at Uber.