Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

A lot of that bell motif with the new death guard.

New Death Guard? I'll be there will bells on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm really not at all keen on the bells everywhere thing. I get the historical reference, and that other Nurgle units have them, but to me it's really antithetical to the whole Plague Marine style. And putting that many on one guy is just naff.

That's actually diminished my excitement for the new Nurgle kits.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

berzerkmonkey posted:

Plague bells. They were used to remind people to follow plague prevention rules - funny when you think that the Death Guard would prefer you forgot about those rules.

Its the same deal with the censers no? Stemmed from the idea that disease was caused by bad smells rather than just associated with them and burning incense to counter it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Too many bells. I'd leave a cupola bells on the armour but they look dumb on his weapons.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I feel like the new marines miss some of the joke of 40k, that hope is lost, innovation is outlawed and the Imperium's forgetten how all their stuff works. When Guilliman comes back with teched-up new bigmarines using armour and guns better than everyone else's, the story seems to be missing the theme. I'd hope the Imperium'd declare Guilliman and the new guys heretical and boot them out, it'd be funnier if they excommunicated their best chance of surviving

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Guilliman is the end of perpetual grimdark. Welcome to nobledark.

The great rift splitting the imperium in half means there is almost definitely going to be a Western/Eastern Roman Empire type situation

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
You'd think Death Guard of all factions would be the poster child for 40k's MAXIMUM SKULLS EVERYWHERE design element

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Girlyman is still pretty grimdark. Everything he strived for has turned to ash and the dude would rather have stayed dead because of it, but he's the only guy capable of trying to unfuck things so now he's stuck. An avowed atheist worshipped by savages as the son of a god, having to pay lip service to their superstitious bollocks, and too enslaved to duty to just top himself.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

bandaid.friend posted:

I feel like the new marines miss some of the joke of 40k, that hope is lost, innovation is outlawed and the Imperium's forgetten how all their stuff works. When Guilliman comes back with teched-up new bigmarines using armour and guns better than everyone else's, the story seems to be missing the theme. I'd hope the Imperium'd declare Guilliman and the new guys heretical and boot them out, it'd be funnier if they excommunicated their best chance of surviving

Pawl posted:

Guilliman is the end of perpetual grimdark. Welcome to nobledark.

The great rift splitting the imperium in half means there is almost definitely going to be a Western/Eastern Roman Empire type situation

Given that literally everything about how he does things is at odds with what the imperium became it's really just a matter of time. Especially since he already has the eastern empire in ultramar/imperium secundus. They'll even be reasonably well kitted out once the admech fractures over tech heresy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Girlyman is still pretty grimdark. Everything he strived for has turned to ash and the dude would rather have stayed dead because of it, but he's the only guy capable of trying to unfuck things so now he's stuck. An avowed atheist worshipped by savages as the son of a god, having to pay lip service to their superstitious bollocks, and too enslaved to duty to just top himself.

I read a bunch of the fluff today and it seems like at first he despaired, but the indomitable fire of hope started burning again in his mighty primarch heart of flaming righteousness.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

xtothez posted:

You'd think Death Guard of all factions would be the poster child for 40k's MAXIMUM SKULLS EVERYWHERE design element

They are on the other side of the Bell curve.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Plague bells. They were used to remind people to follow plague prevention rules - funny when you think that the Death Guard would prefer you forgot about those rules.

I like to think they are co-opting the bells and using them in an "Omar's coming" kind of way.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

I like to think they are co-opting the bells and using them in an "Omar's coming" kind of way.

"Typhus coming, yo!"

- Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the XIII Legion Astartes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Release Fulgrim and his coterie of giant beauty marines already GW Jesus Christ do you want my loving money or not.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The knife, bells and censer on the derp gourd makes me think Skaven more than anything. As a guy who doesn't give a poo poo about death guard I still like it as a model though.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Artum posted:

Well... hello there :gerty:

Probably just a conversion :v:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I can't help but think of it like a good visual of what chaos is - taking a thing and corrupting it. Bells reminded people to be warry of plague; now they signal to people that the plague is here and y'all dead. Censers were used to ward off bad smells; now they contain a hive of bees with AIDS

edit: on closer inspection that's too many bells god drat

Fake James fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 16, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

What is this stayfrosty studios thing anyway?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fuegan posted:

Probably just a conversion :v:
To be fair the arm on that did and still does look COMPLETELY out of scale, I desperately wanted it to be real but the arm looked like a dead giveaway.
E: hell going back and looking at it, its genuinely not one of the new arms, doesn't have the extra plating.

Ayn Marx posted:

Haven't a clue, but that seems to be one of the plague marines from the starter set.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Artum posted:

The pessimist in me would say £29 for a squad of five since thats how much devastators cost.

I would guess £25. You're looking at ten squat Marines vs five big Marines at the same price point. I know they're the new hotness and could maybe charge a premium, but I feel if they really want these in peoples' hands they want them price competitive with the dudes they're ostensibly replacing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

:siren:NEW FUCKIN' BADCAST YA NERDS:siren:
Episode 09 is here, and it's all about Tzeentch! In this episode, we come to the conclusion that Magnus the Red probably has really strong opinions about anime:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/05/15/40k-badcast-09-somebody-really-needs-to-kick-magnus-in-the-dick/

Somewhat disappointed you didn't mention the time in Gathering Storm when Yvraine punked the poo poo out of Ahriman by reversing his spell with a flick of her hand before dunking all his horribly confused marines back into realspace.

Also that Fanfiction segment was good but still not as good as the previous one. Props for the voices though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Glad to see that Death Guard are now officially bellends

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

I would guess £25. You're looking at ten squat Marines vs five big Marines at the same price point. I know they're the new hotness and could maybe charge a premium, but I feel if they really want these in peoples' hands they want them price competitive with the dudes they're ostensibly replacing.

Atleast if they're pricier points wise than grey knights they wont break the bank to run.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ayn Marx posted:

A very good converter. He does the best conversions, sometimes you might even think his pictures are of new models.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Loved the Badcast, and the Revenge of the Nerds comparison was hilarious as someone brought it up at my last tournament that he just pictured the Space Wolves screaming "nerds" as they give the Thiusand Sons power armored wedgies and swirlies.

And that fan fiction...dear God...when I heard the word "Vegeta" I almost chucked my phone...

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mango Polo posted:

A very good converter. He does the best conversions, sometimes you might even think his pictures are of new models.

Are people going to continue to beat this I mean jesus christ.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Is there no preview article today?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I like these just as much as the cupola ones, never forget

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Coming soon. The Condescensionist pattern

It's hard not to look down on oldmarines when you're the bigly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

And that fan fiction...dear God...when I heard the word "Vegeta" I almost chucked my phone...

I got you weeabro :respek:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

Is there no preview article today?

Yeah I noticed that as well, could just be late though.

Uroboros posted:

Yeah that dramatic pause was good.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/16/new-warhammer-40000-the-dark-imperium-may16gw-homepage-post-4/

:siren: DARK IMPERIUM :siren:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyUb2uvOv8

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm really loving the new setting. The idea of half of the Imperium being besieged with no hopes of reinforcements is pretty brutal.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The last time I regularly played 40k was 4th ed. is there any good way to catch up on all the fluff, or do I just need to start plowing through Wiki entries?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm really loving the new setting. The idea of half of the Imperium being besieged with no hopes of reinforcements is pretty brutal.

That sounds like business as usual

Anyway, what forge worlds are behind that warp storm? poo poo will get real bad real quick if there aren't enough of those over there.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
"Shucks guys! The Space Marines really are in trouble this time! Will they make it out of this mess?"

lmao

chutche2 posted:

That sounds like business as usual

It's this.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I wonder if Dark Imperium will have more lax ally rules.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

I wonder if Dark Imperium will have more lax ally rules.

Time for the Dark Angels to reveal their true allegiance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I think this new dark imperium is just someone's converted setting, you can easily recognize the different pieces of fluff it's pulling from.

• Locked thread