Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Chris Roberts Fallacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Diablo 3 on console is phenomenal, it really is. It's basically a very updated Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 and that game was my jam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah that actually sounds awesome.

I knew nothing about syndicate except that it wasn't bad like unity.

I haven't been interested in asscreed since revelations.

I may check out syndicate in the eventual future where I can pick it up for cheap.

If I was going to recommend any asscreed game post-AC2 it would be Black Flag. Syndicate is good but I burned out on it eventually because I think it got really repetitive and also its player power curve is tuned really weirdly (Assassin's Creed does not need leveling and skill trees). Black Flag is a decent Assassin's Creed game attached to a fun sailing and pirating game and loaded with cool pirate pals.

Both are pretty good but Black Flag is more fun I think

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In AC Syndicate you can play a lady whose base of operations is a train, and who hangs out with Karl Marx and spends her free time crippling people in underground pit fighting competitions. If I had known what this game was like I would have played it earlier

However, you also have to play her lovely brother and pretty much all the cool lady gets to do is clean up after his messes :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Jacob owns because he cares as little about the conspiracy bullshit as I do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ppl love to dog on AssCreed but there are more good than bad AC games:

great:

Black Flag
Rogue
Syndicate
AC2
Brotherhood
Watch Dogs 2

good:

AC1 (if you play it before any of the others)
Revelations

bad:

Unity
AC3
Watch Dogs 1

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of Adult Swim Games, it only took two years but WASTED finally patched in an option to disable the S.O.B. Cooler.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're going to include watch dogs as an assassin's creed game i think you have to remove black flag for not being an assassin's creed game

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All this AC: Syndicate talk is triggering me because Syndicate(2012) is my favourite FPS and it will never get a sequel because of nerds getting mad it wasn't't a remake of the snes game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

if you're going to include watch dogs as an assassin's creed game i think you have to remove black flag for not being an assassin's creed game

hmmm... yeah that checks out. black flag's main connection to the AC series is "the protagonist does not want to be in an AC game at all"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nasgate posted:

All this AC: Syndicate talk is triggering me because Syndicate(2012) is my favourite FPS and it will never get a sequel because of nerds getting mad it wasn't't a remake of the snes game.

have you considered trying out some FPSes that aren't aggressively mediocre and making them your favorite i suggest doom 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

"snes game"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Syndicate, Black Flag and Rogue are solid. Skip the rest. I'm a fan of the Ezio trilogy but those games have gotten old.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Same but for the Shadowrun FPS.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of my friends just mentioned "that wrestling game where all the fighters are rappers" as if it were common knowledge and how the gently caress did i not know this existed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Jam:_Fight_for_NY

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

one of my friends just mentioned "that wrestling game where all the fighters are rappers" as if it were common knowledge and how the gently caress did i not know this existed

quote:

• one of the boss fights ends with you throwing a rapper into an oncoming subway car
  • also you can fight a dude for his girlfriend and if you lose you get the ugly girl instead
  • also I remember one fighting style that if you picked it your default A-A combo could be chained to stunlock your opponent
  • that's great game design right there
  • I was just looking at the plot on wikipedia, apparently the guy that gets thrown into the subway car is Danny Trejo
  • and the main bad guy is Snoop Dogg
  • and Carmen Elektra is one of the girls you can date if you fight as her and beat up your current girlfriend as her

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also I played the Syndicate FPS and thought it was pretty boring.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

It was really good too, the fighting was based on timing and rhythm and instead of diala-combos your attacks were assigned to single buttons you could press or hold like Smash Bros. The character creation was pretty great and the single player campaign had a lot of meat to it. Also Henry Rollins was your personal trainer for some reason.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Also I played the Syndicate FPS and thought it was pretty boring.

it's kind of like claiming the XCOM 3rd person shooter is your favorite 3PS of all time and being upset that there won't be another one

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 16, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about Black Flag is the Pirate Sea Shanty iPod thing you can do when you're sailing around

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

have you considered trying out some FPSes that aren't aggressively mediocre and making them your favorite i suggest doom 2016

Tried the demo and it was slow as heck and I couldn't cause enemies to scream in pain while gunning down their teammates before their head explodes so what's the point?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd have liked Black Flag better if it didn't have any of the AssCreed story bits in it, everything was the epitome of boring trailing dudes for hours crap that people got bored of two games ago and was way worse about it than any of the other ones I've played (all except 3). Doing piratey stuff almost made up for it but I never managed to finish the story.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nasgate posted:

Tried the demo and it was slow as heck and I couldn't cause enemies to scream in pain while gunning down their teammates before their head explodes so what's the point?

Um DOOM 2016 is definitely not slow at all.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd have liked Black Flag better if it didn't have any of the AssCreed story bits in it, everything was the epitome of boring trailing dudes for hours crap that people got bored of two games ago and was way worse about than any of the other ones I've played (all except 3). Doing piratey stuff almost made up for it but I never managed to finish the story.

Ubisoft is working on a pirate game without the Assassin's Creed IP. It'll probably be a multi-player coop game like The Division. Or Rare's Sea of Thieves, another online pirate game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Injustice 2 is a fun fighting game. I like playing grindy games and the fighter leveling and gear collecting is perfect.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

it also has a quite reasonable amount of head exploding

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd have liked Black Flag better if it didn't have any of the AssCreed story bits in it, everything was the epitome of boring trailing dudes for hours crap that people got bored of two games ago and was way worse about it than any of the other ones I've played (all except 3). Doing piratey stuff almost made up for it but I never managed to finish the story.

Like if they just eliminated this from the game it would help a looooot

How was Syndicate on this front?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Monkey Fracas posted:

My favorite thing about Black Flag is the Pirate Sea Shanty iPod thing you can do when you're sailing around

Making them sing the first two seconds of all the songs like a maniac so I can find Fish of the Sea over and over again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like if they just eliminated this from the game it would help a looooot

How was Syndicate on this front?

syndicate is less about trailing dudes for information and more about rappeling through the glass roof of sweatshops so you can brutally cane the guards and also your hideout is a literal train

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's kinda slow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want Assassin's Creed to bring back "synchronization" as health instead of just plain health. I really liked that conceit--that no, the historical person you're controlling didn't get stabbed 15 times and survive, it's just that you suck and can't fight as well as they did so you're going out of sync with their memory.

Palpek posted:

Syndicate, Black Flag and Rogue are solid. Skip the rest. I'm a fan of the Ezio trilogy but those games have gotten old.

I miss the slightly more involved climbing from the Ezio games. Syndicate is weird to me--Ubisoft recognized their climbing had gotten boring and repetitive, so instead of making it better, they just let you skip it with a grappling hook. On the one hand, that's fun as hell, because grappling hooks own. On the other hand, I play Assassin's Creed games like 50% to climb historical monuments and that kinda took some of the joy out of that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Syndicate FPS ruled and had a great multiplayer mode.

Also Miles Kilo is still one of the greatest cyberpunk names ever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm hazy on the details but i think syndicate fps' plot was penned at least in part by science fiction author richard k. morgan who wrote a trilogy of ok to above average pulpy cyberpunk noir novels that evolved into an anarcho-communist diatribe, followed by a standalone cyberpunk book about :biotruths:, so

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Syndicate was only OK. It had that cool, Starbreeze "feel" but the level design and enemy placement was pretty uninspired. Well, I mean, some of the locations you went to were cool to look at, they just weren't great to play. I still remember a later section that was just a narrow bridge with, like, two dozen badmen you had to shoot through.

E: Never played the MP.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'll admit, I prefer vanilla communism, but I'll take what I can get.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

enter the gungeon has very crisp, lively visuals and gameplay that falls apart after like five hours and is terribly balanced, with lots of guns being outright useless and enemies often wind up being bullet sponges unless you find one of a handful of guns that just obliterate everything

Gungeon's biggest problem to me is that it's sloooow. Speed is really important in a roguelike because usually the early game is the dullest part, so the faster you can get to the interesting stuff the better. Isaac lets you get to a treasure room right off bat, and Dead Cells lets you get to the next area in less than a minute, but there's no good way to speed Gungeon up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nasgate posted:

Ok I liked and even enjoyed the Syndicate FPS but lol to this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nasgate posted:

The Doom 2016 demo unfortunately doesn't get you into the parts where it gets faster and gives you lots of enemies to kill and lots of weapons to do it with. It probably never reaches classic Doom speed levels but once you have more than just a pistol and a shotgun things really pick up. It is a Good Game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I heard that Syndicate 2012 is really good in co-op because the other players get completely different sets of abilities that do some amusing stuff when used together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wamdoodle posted:

Ok I liked and even enjoyed the Syndicate FPS but lol to this

I'll say this much; Doom's demo isn't great outside of setting the ridiculous tone. It's too short, linear, and doesn't give you the options that make the game great. It's fine as an introduction to the full campaign, and the following level really gets going, but it's not the best showpiece.

• Locked thread