Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

chochmah posted:

For clarification I'm talking about C/C++ not C# etc.

Check: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/default_initialization

Can also be found in http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3690.pdf

Edit: I verified that with the debugger and had a look at the assembly so I'm reasonably certain (VC++).

Not initializing variables in most C++ contexts is asking for pain, that is the kind of optimization you make later when troubleshooting optimization problems that you can actually notice. In the context of the original video it's apparent that their codebase is as slapdash as they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
For those of you who are new here he got laughed out of the thread like three times and every time he would come back he would make progressively worse posts until he just resorted to spamming .gifs. Good times.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

janssendalt posted:

I dreamt about it yesterday:
The PU will be out by July 2016
And it will be the best

Derek will cry
Beer will cry
AP will cry

You all will cry

The only ones happy will be Eonwe, because Bernie will win, and Kimsemus, because he will be allowed to join Goonrathi, like the prodigal son returning to its home
He made this post unironically.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

thatguy posted:

The only ones happy will be Eonwe, because Bernie will win

welp

bernie would have won

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Now don't be sad, 'cause 0 out of 8 ain't bad.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: promises and reality are very far apart

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tokamak posted:

welp

bernie would have won

tru fax

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Space Court.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

On Wednesday, Loremaker’s Guide to the Galaxy returns for it’s bi-weekly episode! Writer Adam Wieser travels to the Nemo System and shares some of the drama that took place when the system was first discovered.

:toot:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/864498357422706689

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Reality check...! RSI's pricing model and stance on digital items is beyond awesome. I don't know of a single mmorpg dev that allows players the amount of control over their digital assets to the extent RSI does. We should feel grateful. Quit complaining noobs.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

On Wednesday, Loremaker’s Guide to the Galaxy returns for it’s bi-weekly episode! Writer Adam Wieser travels to the Nemo System and shares some of the drama that took place when the system was first discovered.

:toot:

In our next original adventure, the Naughtilus travels 40,000 leagues under the sea. Do not steal.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Can anyone explain to me why you care when Squadron42 comes out

quote:

ASSSUMING IT WILL BE FINISHED
why do people care when?
personally, the only possible reason(s) would be impending death or imprisonment..?
Otherwise.. wtf guys?

quote:

people get mad when they order pizza and it doesnt come on time, because they are hungry and need to eat, and the food will get old and cold.
A late delivery of a project at your job means you cannot do the next step and are stalled.
the game being delivered late has literally ZERO bearing on any other aspect of your life. Unless you are going into some line of work in the next couple years where you are going to be unable to game, (or dying or going to jail) what is the difference when the game is released?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jesus Christ, Janssendalt is getting a refund? Things have gotten really bad in Citizenland. I'm excited for the eventual killing and eating of Cymelion and the passing around of the Space Conch

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
:lol::lol:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ahh, but if you can't trust CIG's customer support who can you trust?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Has Derek tweeted about OSC's unbanning yet? I want to watch /r/ds melt down

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That bug with the launcher playing audio back at the wrong sample rate is one of my favorites. Can't even get audio playback correct, and they wanted to do ASIO. Embarrassing.

The uninitialized variables, just don't do it, ever. The only excuse you have is if you're tweaking final code with a profiler, and that routine is running thousands or more times per frame, and you've definitively determined you're never going to fall into the uninitialized values ever, or that it would be an irrelevant/discardable error. It's just super bad practice.

All the getting into the weeds about details of what the C++ specification technically describes about array initialization, that's a bad route to go down as a defense for alpha code, because I've read the C++ specs cover to cover, and nobody can remember every single one of those edge case details. Stick with good preventative practices, only get into doing risky optimizations for very specific final polish.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

That bug with the launcher playing audio back at the wrong sample rate is one of my favorites. Can't even get audio playback correct, and they wanted to do ASIO. Embarrassing.

The uninitialized variables, just don't do it, ever. The only excuse you have is if you're tweaking final code with a profiler, and that routine is running thousands or more times per frame, and you've definitively determined you're never going to fall into the uninitialized values ever, or that it would be an irrelevant/discardable error. It's just super bad practice.

All the getting into the weeds about details of what the C++ specification technically describes about array initialization, that's a bad route to go down as a defense for alpha code, because I've read the C++ specs cover to cover, and nobody can remember every single one of those edge case details. Stick with good preventative practices, only get into doing risky optimizations for very specific final polish.

You start with optimization when making a game, don't you know

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Best part of the patcher music is it was disabled for quite a while, and they just re-enabled it a couple weeks ago. :v:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Berious posted:

Yeah I just quad posted pure white noise :whatup:

why not go full retard and snipe the next page too? would have needed only 2 more posts :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer, has played the game start to finish and unlocked all the sex scenes.

Unless all those scenes take place in the ship's cafeteria, I doubt he would bother.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Daztek posted:

You start with optimization when making a game, don't you know

Pff... optimization isn't even in the pipeline. You obviously don't understand dream development

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

CIG has $150 million, maybe they should hire someone to direct their marketing so they wouldn't be dependent on advice from their customers on how run their business.

Or Sandi, the VP of Marketing, could take an evening class on marketing. Then she can be Dir of Marketing, and get a pay raise. :grin:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hello janssendalt I know you're reading this

I'm happy to hear you came to your senses and that your final drop fell before the bank run

o7

hahha.

Janssendalt, we told you, you idiot.

AP fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 16, 2017

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AutismVaccine posted:

why not go full retard and snipe the next page too? would have needed only 2 more posts :D

cba to find a cat pic

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ben Lesnick, Chris Roberts Historian can also be found in the Wing Commander Archives located on Nemo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

They are going to be too busy mass-reporting him again to melt down.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bofast posted:

Unless all those scenes take place in the ship's cafeteria, I doubt he would bother.

As far as we can tell, ALL scenes take place in the ship's cafeteria

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fatkraken posted:

Mission 3-A:

Main objective) Bring some coffee to the old man.
Sub objective) 2 sugars, no cream.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

He should stay in. It will make it all the more hilarious after the collapse.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

It makes a lot of sense actually. They have audio bugs, try to pin them down, and someone that knows his stuff jokes about how it 'can't be easily fixed, like, unless you wanna code your own audio driver'. Unfortunately, Chris happened to be in the room

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fatkraken posted:

All those group AI videos are for characters finding their way around in SQ42 orgies, and the box stacking tech is for sex toy crates.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Nope. Just catching up. He says that he was banned after being mass reported as a spammer. Gee, I wonder which upstanding Shitizens would do such a thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6aek0o/video_game_raised_148_million_from_fans_now_its/dhmjfmf/

quote:

I got several messages before I even saw the message from the Reddit admin. You guys are great! I don't know how you all knew the ban was lifted, but thanks anyway. The mods of the Reddit still haven't responded to my message.

My post was mass reported for spam by those guys. Obviously the same guys who were celebrating that I was shadowbanned by Reddit because they had "evidence" (they have no concept of this word, as we have now come to find) that I was Dr Smart's alt, that they traced my IP and all those lies they have been telling over on their harassment Reddit.

So I have decided to start writing a new "July blog". :)

ps: ps: part of the message from the Reddit admin:

|Hi there. It looks like your account was banned in a sweep for spam. I removed the ban, sorry for the trouble!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Oh no.

A new Star Citizen blog writer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

XK posted:

Oh no.

A new Star Citizen blog writer.

That's ok, it's like the Sith. Only two. So when a third comes on then there are problems.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

hahha.

Janssendalt, we told you, you idiot.

The funniest thing is he got out before MoMA :allears:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

Mission 3-A:

Main objective) Bring some coffee to the old man.
Sub objective) 2 sugars, no cream.

Failing objective 1 means a negative score on your promotion progress bar.
Failing objective 2 means getting tossed out the airlock.

You do not mess up an old (wo)man's coffee order.

Obviously, since death doesn't matter in the game, the sub-objective isn't all that critical to complete compared to losing out on an arbitrary character score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I wonder how MoMA's refactored his last drop scenario? It used to be something like 3.0 released "by summer" and SQ42 this year?

It seems he'll be right that refunds haven't run dry yet at least, that must be immensely comforting