Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hand Knit posted:

Okay but now that the pitching prospects are pumpkinized the Jays will have a lot of very cost-effective pumpkins. This is how you build a winner.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Okay but now that the pitching prospects are pumpkinized the Jays will have a lot of very cost-effective pumpkins. This is how you build a winner.

Throw the pumpkins in the lake.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Throw the pumpkins in the lake.

I find shooting pumpkins out of a cannon to be cooler.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Maybe if the Blue Jays did some steroids then their team wouldnt suck so bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Worked for Collabello, so you're probably right.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Paul Zuvella posted:

Maybe if the Blue Jays did some steroids then their team wouldnt suck so bad.

I mean a lineup featuring Goins, Carrera, Barney, and Pillar would seem like a pretty good group to use to test the power of steroids if we hadn't already traveled that route with Neifi Perez.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

the popes toes posted:

Gosh I hope I'm not intruding on roidchat but yesterday ALTUVE HIT THE loving DINGER MACHINE.

The internets is fine and all but I wish there was some kind of universe where I woke up in the morning to retrieve the morning paper newspaper, opened it up, and that was the headlines.

I like the Marlins but I hate that thing and I was glad when Altuve hit it.

This is amazing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

If this isn't Hall of Fame material then just disband it already

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

If this isn't Hall of Fame material then just disband it already

:chloe:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I just got into a discussion about classifying the various balls in play with Ice Fist and I could have sworn there was a recent FanGraphs article about this very issue, specifically the difference between a fly ball, line drive, and pop-up. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Barry Bonds was a hall of famer before he even starting doping.

loving truth. Before 1998 (which is when he started according to Game of Shadows) he had 7400 PAs with a 162 OPS+, 3 MVPs and 91.5 WAR.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

loving truth. Before 1998 (which is when he started according to Game of Shadows) he had 7400 PAs with a 162 OPS+, 3 MVPs and 91.5 WAR.

Yowza

If this turned into pages upon pages of Bonds stats I'd still read it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Ya but how many hits did he have?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, really guys. Barrold was probably doping long before the end of his career.

He also is still the greatest baseballsman ever so who loving cares.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ser Barrold's career OBP was higher than Jeet's SLG lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/864500138953322496

So, does this mean Randy is about to go on a mission to the ISS?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Something that's been bugging me lately is how an error is never a positive for the hitter. There have been loads of fast running hitters who force errors due to their speed or guys who drill the ball (good contact) but it still results in an error and in both cases this negatively impacts their slash.

Is there a stat that tries to incorporate errors as a positive? I honestly think their should be two grades to an error, something like a forced error which would give credit to the hitter and an incidental error that's just your typical wild throw to first on a slow ground ball and hurts the batter.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Popete posted:

Something that's been bugging me lately is how an error is never a positive for the hitter. There have been loads of fast running hitters who force errors due to their speed or guys who drill the ball (good contact) but it still results in an error and in both cases this negatively impacts their slash.

Is there a stat that tries to incorporate errors as a positive? I honestly think their should be two grades to an error, something like a forced error which would give credit to the hitter and an incidental error that's just your typical wild throw to first on a slow ground ball and hurts the batter.

this sounds like a good question for Effectively Wild

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

pff, that's obviously just because they gamed his order in the lineup to enhance his Hall of Fame likelihood

Going to see Giants/Cubs next Tuesday now, it will be billed as an NLDS rematch of Cueto vs Lester but now that both teams are garbage who knows what will happen! (prediction: rainout)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Errors are a dumb stat in general because they're 100% subjective.

Also you get punished for having better range and trying more difficult plays.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Also you get punished for having better range and trying more difficult plays.

Yeah good point, from a purely statistical standpoint it's better for both the defender and hitter if the infield has bad range.

I wouldn't be opposed to just counting reaching base on an error as a hit, I mean that's basically what happens already when an outfielder misses a fly out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also can we change it so that inherited runners count as .5 towards the ERA for both the pitcher who let the man on base and the pitcher who let him score?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another gripe is fielders choice or fielders choice with an error.

Man on 1st and a ground ball is hit to 3B, the fielder throws to second for the DP but it's a bad throw and both runners reach. This hurts the hitter and is an error which I think is a bad call. Or let's say they get the out at second but had 3B tried to throw out the hitter at first instead of second it would have been a difficult play with no clear outcome I think the hitter should be rewarded with a hit instead of a FC.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is why I always laugh at people who hate WAR because it's "too complicated" but still think batting average is a good stat.

Not that batting average is a bad stat, but it's complicated as poo poo because of all the things that can change whether or not something is a hit or at bat.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Yeah good point, from a purely statistical standpoint it's better for both the defender and hitter if the infield has bad range.

I wouldn't be opposed to just counting reaching base on an error as a hit, I mean that's basically what happens already when an outfielder misses a fly out.

This is never going to happen while ERA is still a thing.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Not just subjective, they're a moral judgement of the player by the scorer. They should have been dumped decades ago except that Baseball Tradition is the most powerful force in the universe, plus sports fans love nothing more than passing moral judgement on athletes (ex. the last three pages of this thread).

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Popete posted:

I've had the same thought watching Trea Turner run out ground balls while the shortstop, cognizant of his speed, panics and boots the ball horribly. I'd definitely agree that its a skill and it'd be cool to quantify for players who can "force" errors like that with great speed, I just don't know if it happens often enough to make a meaningful difference.

It wouldn't be hard to modify any of the normal triple slash stats to include reached on errors by just adding them into the numerator. I would wager that REO totals probably fluctuate wildly from year to year and their inclusion makes a negligible impact on the stats of anyone but absolute fastest and slowest players in the league.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The dumb advanced version of a dumb stat I was thinking of recently is the Quality Start Plus: add a + for each inning beyond six or earned run fewer than three. A CGSO becomes a QS++++++.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

OBP doesn't care for an error? I'm AOK with fielder's choice, you shouldn't get a hit just because there's already a man on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shadok posted:

plus sports fans love nothing more than passing moral judgement on athletes (ex. the last three pages of this thread).

This is certainly true, when I was at a Mariners game a couple of weeks ago, Ben Gamel missed a catch and my friend said, "his mother is disappointed in him."

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Couple pages back but lol at people thinking Bonds should be in the HoF. Sorry, cheaters don't get in. He was a very very good cheater, yes. If he hadn't cheated he would have still been better than 99.999% of players. It's too bad but there's no 'oh you were this good so cheating is ok' threshold

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Couple pages back but lol at people thinking Bonds should be in the HoF. Sorry, cheaters don't get in. He was a very very good cheater, yes. If he hadn't cheated he would have still been better than 99.999% of players. It's too bad but there's no 'oh you were this good so cheating is ok' threshold

Look at this loving idiot

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the fact everyone else was doing it, or it was tacitly endorsed, or whatever excused for cheating you want to put on it are irrelevant. he was cheating and got caught. all records are suspect.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Why are all the people with bad opinions Blue Jays fans?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The dumb advanced version of a dumb stat I was thinking of recently is the Quality Start Plus: add a + for each inning beyond six or earned run fewer than three. A CGSO becomes a QS++++++.

Quality Starts definitely need to be changed to account for the current average level of offense. 6 innings and 3 runs is a 4.5 ERA which, right now, is a pretty poor definition of "quality".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Quality Starts definitely need to be changed to account for the current average level of offense. 6 innings and 3 runs is a 4.5 ERA which, right now, is a pretty poor definition of "quality".

does this coincide with a replacement player line?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Walrus posted:

the fact everyone else was doing it, or it was tacitly endorsed, or whatever excused for cheating you want to put on it are irrelevant. he was cheating and got caught. all records are suspect.

This just in, Hall of Fame credentials should be based not on how good a player you were but on how good you were at avoiding being caught taking the same pills and supplements everybody else was taking.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Wow I didn't think I'd see the day Murray Chass had an account

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

This just in, Hall of Fame credentials should be based not on how good a player you were but on how good you were at avoiding being caught taking the same pills and supplements everybody else was taking.

how do you know how good of a player he would have been if he didn't cheat? you can have a pretty good idea, but you can never be sure.

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays all admitted to cheating over the course of their careers through gratuitous use of amphetamines. Should they be removed from the hall?

• Locked thread