Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Weirdfriend is getting clingy. He called around noon wanting to hang out, when my boyfriend had just gone to bed, having needed to stay up last night. I told him I had some errands to run but I'd call if we could hang out later.

He ended up calling, texting, or Facebook messaging me every 45 minutes asking if my boyfriend was awake yet. No. We will call if we want to get together.

And I'm not about to hang out with him alone, considering he came over or we went to his place every day this week, and all he does is sit rigidly in an awkward position, sweating and staring at the TV. Sometimes he blurts out random things like "I think I'm totally over my ex now" etc. Or he acts like something one of us said or did was a hint that we wanted him to leave, and tries to apologize for nothing. Or he stands up and kinda hovers and picks up random objects in the apartment and hands them to one of us with ridiculously shaky hands :supaburn: Become normal already!

I think one of the reasons he annoys me so much is that his inappropriate behaviors remind me of me when my mental illness was at its worst and I didn't know how to act. But all the obnoxious little things add up.

timefly has a new favorite as of 07:19 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bogan King posted:

It's an Aussie thing.

You would be correct. It's probably just as well I didn't mention "butchers", "schooners" or "ponies".

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Instead, we should place our trust in law enforcement to solve the problem. If they don't have the manpower or space to arrest and prosecute "minor" crimes like this, maybe they need more funding instead of the military.

That's an unusual opinion on the internet. The usual, or at least the loudest, is to abolish both the police and prison system, which would work out wonderfully when psychopathic murderers, rapists and other violent felons are free to do as they please, after they mouth the empty lip service that rehabilitation makes them do.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm sure you already know this on some level but he very obviously wants to gently caress you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sic Semper Goon posted:

That's an unusual opinion on the internet. The usual, or at least the loudest, is to abolish both the police and prison system, which would work out wonderfully when psychopathic murderers, rapists and other violent felons are free to do as they please.

That would be ridiculous, society cant function without law. The type of society in the judge dredd movies should be what we are aspiring to become.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I'm sure you already know this on some level but he very obviously wants to gently caress you.

Me? I can tell when a guy is into me and he definitely is not. If he were attracted to me it would be a thousand times worse and I'd never spend time with him. I'm his oldest friend's girl, so even if he might be into me otherwise he'd never show it. My boyfriend can be scary when people cross him.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

timefly posted:

Me? I can tell when a guy is into me and he definitely is not. If he were attracted to me it would be a thousand times worse and I'd never spend time with him. I'm one of his oldest friend's girlfriends, so even if he might be into me otherwise he'd never show it. My boyfriend can be scary when people cross him.

Every thing you describe is a giant "socially awkward niceguy who is in to you" red flag. I would bet a lot of money that if you announced you broke up with your boyfriend he would be asking you out within days.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Every thing you describe is a giant "socially awkward niceguy who is in to you" red flag. I would bet a lot of money that if you announced you broke up with your boyfriend he would be asking you out within days.

lol, Nice Guys never ask the girl out

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bogan King posted:

lol, Nice Guys never ask the girl out

Well, ok, not in the normal way but in the "dumping a wall of text confession of his feelings and then retreating and hoping she asks him out after reading it" way.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lately, just trying to get a straight answer out of people has really been trying my patience. For example. I was having tea and I asked my mom if we had any regular white sugar left. Well, we have some brown sugar, and powdered, and artificial, and well maybe blah blah.... just say we don't! It's really ok!. A yes or no question doesn't have to become a story about the reason why whatever came to be, just please get to the point. I don't need alternatives if haven't asked for them, please.

Also, as I've mentioned before, being talked over or interrupted in a conversation. If you would just hold on for a second, you would find out why Jane went to jail and what happened with the kids or whatever. Its usually a side track over something inane too, completely unimportant about the core of the story. Then someone else might chime in and everything gets derailed until that comes to an end and you have to reign in back in with an "as I was saying..."

Or people just plain not listening at all. They look right at you and nod and laugh or agree, and then someone else re-mentions it down the line and they light up like they never heard it before and start yapping like crazy. Or you make a reference to something when they say they are a fan and they seem like they recognize what you mean or are saying, and then it comes it and they are like "Oooh!" like its brand new to them.

Basically poor conversational etiquette really skeeves me.

cinni has a new favorite as of 07:15 on May 16, 2017

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

That has happened to me many times, several of which were with awkward guys like him. He shows no signs of being into me, and I don't think he has the social skills to hide it that well. I've never even noticed him checking me out, and he makes comments about other girls to me. He's just needy. He split up with his wife and lived on my couch for a couple months.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Boarding and unboarding air planes would be so much quicker if it weren't for a certain kind of person who has to take up the whole aisle to get their luggage, holding up everyone. If you have heavy hand luggage, you should just wait until there's a large enough gap that you're not getting in anybody's way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinni posted:

Also, as I've mentioned before, being talked over or interrupted in a conversation. If you would just hold on for a second, you would find out why Jane went to jail and what happened with the kids or whatever. Its usually a side track over something inane too, completely unimportant about the core of the story. Then someone else might chime in and everything gets derailed until that comes to an end and you have to reign in back in with an "as I was saying..."

I hate to have to tell you this but if this happens to you a lot, all your stories are really loving boring or at least you tell them in a really loving boring way. Hope this helps :tipshat:

e: I mean it clearly runs in the family, too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

timefly posted:

Weirdfriend is getting clingy. He called around noon wanting to hang out, when my boyfriend had just gone to bed, having needed to stay up last night. I told him I had some errands to run but I'd call if we could hang out later.

He ended up calling, texting, or Facebook messaging me every 45 minutes asking if my boyfriend was awake yet. No. We will call if we want to get together.

And I'm not about to hang out with him alone, considering he came over or we went to his place every day this week, and all he does is sit rigidly in an awkward position, sweating and staring at the TV. Sometimes he blurts out random things like "I think I'm totally over my ex now" etc. Or he acts like something one of us said or did was a hint that we wanted him to leave, and tries to apologize for nothing. Or he stands up and kinda hovers and picks up random objects in the apartment and hands them to one of us with ridiculously shaky hands :supaburn: Become normal already!

I think one of the reasons he annoys me so much is that his inappropriate behaviors remind me of me when my mental illness was at its worst and I didn't know how to act. But all the obnoxious little things add up.

I'm reasonably certain this guy is going to kill you and your boyfriend

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I'm reasonably certain this guy is going to kill you and your boyfriend

This. He might be debating about rape before or after the deaths.

People who complain that "PC bullshit" has ruined everything. No, rear end in a top hat, PC means you can't call a woman a oval office or someone the N word or ask a gay man if he takes it up the rear end. PC means not being overtly racist, but as a well off white guy, you would know NOTHING about that.

A friend of mine did a surprise documentary.....about himself. He did it over a few months, and it's actually getting shown in a small theater here. What's it about, other than himself? How most people have watched 2k movies in their lifetimes, but he is up to 10k and will keep going. I don't understand how anyone can tally that poo poo, and who would care, let alone WHO IS GOING TO SEE A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT A GUY SELF-FELLATING HIMSELF with pants on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

ask a gay man if he takes it up the rear end

It's polite to ask.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I kinda really want to punch the guy next to me in the face. He's eating raw vegetables which is an annoying enough sound on it's own, but he's also a lipsmacker. :ssj:

Dissociative Donut
Oct 9, 2009

by Pragmatica
It's still ok to call men cunts, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dissociative Donut posted:

It's still ok to call men cunts, right?

If they're Australian, yes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If they're Australian, yes.

But if you're australian calling another man a oval office basically means "hey friend"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

People that are on their phones during movie previews. I don't see it often but it infuriates me.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Picnic Princess posted:

When random dudes on the street yell that you're a loving stupid bitch and a oval office or start following you when you ignore their catcalls, it's more than a minor inconvenience.

And it's definitely not a loving humblebrag.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Yeah complaining about catcalling is definitely not a humble brag in my experience. I've been catcalled more often when I'm dressed frumpy than when I actually dress up. We know it's not a compliment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't say complaining about it was inherently a humble brag. I've just gotten that vibe from certain people. Either way it was barely relevant to begin with so I'll just recant that it's not a hard line stance I'm holding or anything.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ghost emoji posted:

Yeah complaining about catcalling is definitely not a humble brag in my experience. I've been catcalled more often when I'm dressed frumpy than when I actually dress up. We know it's not a compliment.

I once got catcalled three times on the same block while wearing my great-grandfather's hand-me-downs. Serves me right for doing laundry or something I guess.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

YeahTubaMike posted:

I once got catcalled three times on the same block while wearing my great-grandfather's hand-me-downs. Serves me right for doing laundry or something I guess.

Well soooory, Macklemore.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

YeahTubaMike posted:

I once got catcalled three times on the same block while wearing my unbelievably sexy great-grandfather's hand-me-downs. Serves me right for doing laundry or something I guess.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Should have just treated them the same way your grandfather treated people who catcalled him when wearing them :nws: http://i.imgur.com/WhPQRwd.jpg :nws:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slime posted:

But if you're australian calling another man a oval office basically means "hey friend"

People spreading this myth is an obnoxious little thing that makes me unreasonably angry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tiggum posted:

People spreading this myth is an obnoxious little thing that makes me unreasonably angry.

Why, which one are you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Why, which one are you?

What?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum, he's asking if you're Australian or a oval office.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Well, I am Australian. I'll leave the rest for others to judge.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

that makes me happy and so i will continue to spread it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
oval office in non american english speaking countries is still a swear word you wouldn't use of front of your gran it just isn't gendered in the way it is in america.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The whole mate/oval office thing has become a bit of an exaggerated meme, but there is a nugget of truth there.

Specifically, if you're super-close friends with someone, you can jokingly insult them to their face and it's all good, since you're such close friends that everyone recognizes it as just joking around.

It's not something you can do to people you barely know.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jabor posted:

It's not something you can do to people you barely know.

Clearly you haven't been around Australian junkies / hardcore thuggs.

Lucky you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

oval office in non american english speaking countries is still a swear word you wouldn't use of front of your gran it just isn't gendered in the way it is in america.
I don't know if there's some degree of genderedness you're referring to, but "oval office" is a gendered insult in all English-speaking countries. And it's not a friendly greeting in Australia.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if there's some degree of genderedness you're referring to, but "oval office" is a gendered insult in all English-speaking countries. And it's not a friendly greeting in Australia.

In the UK/Ire calling some one a oval office as an insult is just a catch all word meaning very bad that has no reference to gender. Calling a man a pussy or a bitch would be a gendered insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Tiggum posted:

Uh yea it's a friendly greeting to people you know well and it can be used as a compliment too eg: "dazza is one tough oval office, cunts built like a brick shithouse".

• Locked thread