Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ate all the Oreos posted:

npr this morning had some chucklefuck "bitcoin forensics company" talking about how they've discovered hints that wannacry might be from north korea!!!!!!

don't ask why we came to this conclusion just think about scary north korea!!!!

blame the msm, someone here repeated this gibberish too and that was the signal that headphones time was approaching fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

i missed this but yeah, :lol:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

fins posted:

hmm, idea for some niche ransomware. target audiophiles and reencode all their lossless files as 64 kbps mp3s

I love this idea

take it a step further though, go for .wma

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
didn't real have an audio format? .rma?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

fins posted:

hmm, idea for some niche ransomware. target audiophiles and reencode all their lossless files as 64 kbps mp3s

This would be the best malware

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phone posted:

didn't real player finally die?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phone posted:

and .rm for video, yeah

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

didn't real player finally die?

realplayer yet lives

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fishmech posted:

realplayer yet lives

what? how? who? :psyboom:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RFC2324 posted:

what? how? who? :psyboom:

[[[BUFFERING INTENSIFIES]]]

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
for a very liberal definition of "lives" i would assume

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phone posted:

[[[BUFFERING INTENSIFIES]]]

lolling on the street rn

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

npr this morning had some chucklefuck "bitcoin forensics company" talking about how they've discovered hints that wannacry might be from north korea!!!!!!

don't ask why we came to this conclusion just think about scary north korea!!!!

my driving instructor mentioned this today and i got kinda blindsided by it 'cause it was the first i'd heard of it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phone posted:

they had 14.4 audio and 28.8 audio!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

for a very liberal definition of "lives" i would assume

realplayer is still realnetworks' primary business and here's their latest annual report:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that is not dead which can eternal buffer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

haveblue posted:

that is not dead which can eternal buffer

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fishmech posted:

realplayer is still realnetworks' primary business and here's their latest annual report:

Thats like 3 dudes not getting paid very well.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RFC2324 posted:

well they're doin something

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

uh if that was just 3 dudes, they'd each be getting over 33 million a year as of 2015 lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

uh if that was just 3 dudes, they'd each be getting over 33 million a year as of 2015 lol
one guy in r&d making 70k, sales guy making 111k, and an admin making 37k

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
oh poo poo i missed this part

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Instant Grat posted:

oh poo poo i missed this part

ah gently caress

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

one guy in r&d making 70k, sales guy making 111k, and an admin making 37k

not only did you gently caress up the thousands, you're looking at 2011 instead of 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

not only did you gently caress up the thousands, you're looking at 2011 instead of 2015
when you're right, you're right

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
anyway it seems that what realnetworks and realplayer is used for a lot now, is internal company "broadcasting" stuff for a lot of places, as well as powering streaming for certain smart tv apps and poo poo like that? seems like it's a pretty robust thing that they can leech off of for years to come, even though normal users aren't going to use realplayer directly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Progressive JPEG posted:

Your Linux iso and midi collections however are not

rip canyon.mid

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/what-you-need-know-about-wannacry-ransomware

Symantec has uncovered two possible links that loosely tie the WannaCry ransomware attack and the Lazarus group:

Co-occurrence of known Lazarus tools and WannaCry ransomware: Symantec identified the presence of tools exclusively used by Lazarus on machines also infected with earlier versions of WannaCry. These earlier variants of WannaCry did not have the ability to spread via SMB. The Lazarus tools could potentially have been used as method of propagating WannaCry, but this is unconfirmed.

Shared code: As tweeted by Google’s Neel Mehta, there is some shared code between known Lazarus tools and the WannaCry ransomware. Symantec has determined that this shared code is a form of SSL. This SSL implementation uses a specific sequence of 75 ciphers which to date have only been seen across Lazarus tools (including Contopee and Brambul) and WannaCry variants.

While these findings do not indicate a definite link between Lazarus and WannaCry, we believe that there are sufficient connections to warrant further investigation. We will continue to share further details of our research as it unfolds.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/what-you-need-know-about-wannacry-ransomware

Symantec has uncovered two possible links that loosely tie the WannaCry ransomware attack and the Lazarus group:

Co-occurrence of known Lazarus tools and WannaCry ransomware: Symantec identified the presence of tools exclusively used by Lazarus on machines also infected with earlier versions of WannaCry. These earlier variants of WannaCry did not have the ability to spread via SMB. The Lazarus tools could potentially have been used as method of propagating WannaCry, but this is unconfirmed.

Shared code: As tweeted by Google’s Neel Mehta, there is some shared code between known Lazarus tools and the WannaCry ransomware. Symantec has determined that this shared code is a form of SSL. This SSL implementation uses a specific sequence of 75 ciphers which to date have only been seen across Lazarus tools (including Contopee and Brambul) and WannaCry variants.

While these findings do not indicate a definite link between Lazarus and WannaCry, we believe that there are sufficient connections to warrant further investigation. We will continue to share further details of our research as it unfolds.

isn't it really obvious right now that wannacry is just "other people's tools wrapped up with a poorly written front-end"? how is this news?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

no clearly its nation state actors trying to make 30 or 40k quick

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

isn't it really obvious right now that wannacry is just "other people's tools wrapped up with a poorly written front-end"? how is this news?
because none of this makes sense given the timeline of initial variant publicly appearing in february

https://twitter.com/threatintel/status/864504502682099716

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

because none of this makes sense given the timeline of initial variant publicly appearing in february

https://twitter.com/threatintel/status/864504502682099716
well, that would explain why they have to manually approve decryptions

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fishmech posted:

anyway it seems that what realnetworks and realplayer is used for a lot now, is internal company "broadcasting" stuff for a lot of places, as well as powering streaming for certain smart tv apps and poo poo like that? seems like it's a pretty robust thing that they can leech off of for years to come, even though normal users aren't going to use realplayer directly

real networks is pied piper!?

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

on closer inspection, the image that was originally here may have been photoshopped

removing for now

sorry for wasting your time

Pikavangelist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 16, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo no loving way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
...literally no way

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

in my defense, someone building a vape that runs windows is nowhere near as implausible these days as it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pikavangelist posted:

in my defense, someone building a vape that runs windows is nowhere near as implausible these days as it should be

there totally is

the Debian open source version is Coming Soon

• Locked thread