Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saw this while scrolling through Facebook today and thought of you. ♥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Something something social media cesspool something something WHACHA

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Addamere posted:

On my behalf, can you call Bill Griffith a oval office?

Also, I love that a "newspaper" can't help but go "some college kid had an opinion: I need to run an article about it to prove that all education is bad and people should just read the bible."

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Two monks are walking beside a lake. A young millennial approaches the monks and says, "Samurai Jack reinforces some negative stereotypes in society, can you help me carry my Macbook Pro™ to help me get the word out?". The wise monk says "Yes of course" and helps the millennial carry the laptop over the lake. The monks continue to walk but the other monk is getting angrier by each step. Finally the other monk exclaims to the wise monk "Why did you help that millennial carry that laptop? We've meet Jack he has done more good than bad, no one should talk about him in that way. You shouldn't have helped." The wise monk chuckles to himself "I might of helped the young millennial but you are still carrying the weight."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Natty Review looks like a talking penis.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

Natty Review looks like a talking penis.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Covok posted:

On my behalf, can you call Bill Griffith a oval office?

Also, I love that a "newspaper" can't help but go "some college kid had an opinion: I need to run an article about it to prove that all education is bad and people should just read the bible."

That's...pretty much all journalism I see these days, Christian or otherwise; at least, everything I see whenever I log in to my Yahoo account. I can't really say I'm surprised, either...I once did a Journalism class in High School. I went in there with noble intentions, but ended up doing nothing but fluff articles for my entire run. I had to write up a minimum of three articles per week, every week; all so that the editors might end up using my articles.

Faced with that choice, I took the easy way out. Instead of spending my time researching issues I was truly passionate about, I did silly stuff like "did you know that THIS was who invented Pizza?" or "April Fools started on THIS day" or "here's some great tips on how to ask out that girl to prom!" I didn't have the patience to actually do something truly substantial, so I just spent my entire semester doing stuff like that.

And you know what? I think I got an A! Definitely no lower than a B! I spent my entire time there being a lazy dunce; and not ONCE did I ever hear any complaints about what I wrote! The only thing my editors had grievance with was the fact that I didn't always turn them in on time! How crazy is that?

I don't know how similar my situation is to how other newspaper agencies are structured, but I basically worked under a system that rewarded my laziness instead of punishing it; and emphasized quantity over quality. So if professional news agencies are anything like that, well...it's no wonder journalism is the way it is :( .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 16, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Actual Real Journalism takes time, effort, and money, and the modern media landscape disincentives all three. Not to say that there's no more Actual Journalism, because there is, and a lot of it-but it's buried under the sheer weight of clickbait and puff pieces.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Addamere posted:

I want to subscribe to Robert Drozdale's newsletter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Natty Review also recently complained about Last Man Standing getting cancelled last week. Yup. A dime-a-dozen by-the-#s sitcom THE most important thing last week.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppppppppp.

Not anyone's termination.

Well maybe Scaramouche's.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PhazonLink posted:

Natty Review also recently complained about Last Man Standing getting cancelled last week. Yup. A dime-a-dozen by-the-#s sitcom THE most important thing last week.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppppppppp.

Not anyone's termination.

Well maybe Scaramouche's.

While this is not the place to really discuss this, it is no secret that the Right Wing Propaganda Machine (my little pet name for FOX News, Infowars, and other right-leaning websites) has been doing everything they can to not report on Trump. Like everything. They revived a cold-case on a murdered DNC official to avoid talking about Trump giving Israeli secrets to Russian spies yesterday. Literally anything it takes to not have their readerbase look at that dumpsterfire.

Anyway, Samurai Jack.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Das Boo posted:

A Space Ghost CtC-style show with Aku hosting. The Scotsman is Moltar. Scaramouche is Zorak.
Jack is Brak.

Post this somewhere where people from Williams Street would see it and hope they think it's a good idea too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man the design and choreography for Ashi's transformation is pretty drat awesome

It's also cool that nerds are still having heart attacks over the fact that their time-traveling samurai has a libido

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Post this somewhere where people from Williams Street would see it and hope they think it's a good idea too.

A space ghost coast-to-coast spiritual sequel would be pretty loving legit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Xelkelvos posted:

I mean, I swear I remember some question Genndy got from the interview before the world premiere where he jokingly answered about a spin-off show starring Aku...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Augus posted:

It's also cool that nerds are still having heart attacks over the fact that Genndy Tartakovsky has a libido

fixed.

But yeah, the Ashi redesign is a return to good form.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Anybody post this yet?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

"Community is not pleased" should be the free square. Replace the old square with "More fanboy-serving Ashi nudity".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm disappointed they didn't put in a "Scotsghost Dies" square.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gynovore posted:

"Community is not pleased" should be the free square. Replace the old square with "More fanboy-serving Ashi nudity".

I disagree. Shirtless Jack is clearly the free space.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I disagree. Shirtless Jack is clearly the free space.

I think he has been shirtless every episode thus far. It could even be an inside joke for the show this season.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That entire middle row is a free Bingo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Snipee posted:

I think he has been shirtless every episode thus far. It could even be an inside joke for the show this season.

Not Episode 1.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

We already know it's a regular length episode so that square's a bust.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

I like this. :D

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This episode absolutely owned

Ep 8 irritated the poo poo out of me so the twist in this episode had me loving cackling

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like god drat that was :perfect:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Only just got caught up on the last two episodes so I guess I’m about to deliver my hot takes on things that are old news for everybody else.

Samurai Jack is great at visual story telling, but it seriously undermines that when you have two characters explaining obvious things to each other. “We should find shelter” “We should leave” “This must be a jail cell” “What will we do next”. Yes those are valid realistic conversations to have, but they’re also very perfunctory and uninteresting. IMO generally the more dialogue a Samurai Jack episode has, the worse the episode. First 3 episodes of season 5 : little dialogue -> amazing episodes. Burgeoning romance episode of season 5 : lots of dialogue -> weak episode. With the exception of Aku’s Fairy Tales, because Aku is allowed to break the rules and talk as much as he wants. Also the Princess and the Bounty Hunters is definitely an exception, so maybe it’s the less Jack talks the better. I mean seeing jack walk through the guardian’s graveyard and stumble upon a pair of broken red glasses tells a story in itself, if you remember that episode. But it would’ve ruined the moment completely if Jack announced “This is where I fought and lost to the guardian of the time portal. These are his glasses, therefore he must have perished”.

Like many people, I don’t like the Jack/Ashi romance. Firstly I think it’s creepy since she’s basically a child that’s been brainwashed by an evil cult all her life, meanwhile he has decades and decades of world experience (yes he’s a relationship novice too, but still it feels like there’s a massive social power imbalance here). Secondly I don’t think it has done well, it’s been really silly and cringey so far. Thirdly I don’t think it really makes sense. Ashi has just realized that she knows nothing about the world and all her former core beliefs are lies – she needs someone to teach her new values and show her the truth. Jack (at least a few episodes ago) had lost any hope of fixing the evil that is Aku and felt that all his struggles were meaningless – he needs someone to show him he has a meaningful positive impact on the world even if he hasn’t accomplished his main goal yet. That lends itself well to a mentor/student relationship or maybe a father/surrogate daughter relationship, Jack can teach Ashi and have proof right in front of him that he’s making someone’s life better. To me those are more interesting angles to explore than “okay, let’s kiss!” which is basically all we’ve gotten out of the romance angle. And I don’t hate romance plots, but I don’t like them when they go nowhere or feel unnecessary. And it sort of feels like they compromised character arcs to try fit the romance – they spent multiple episodes building up Jack’s inner demons and Ashi’s cult indoctrination and then kinda randomly decided that those problems were now fixed.

It also kind of feels like Ashi is an accessory to Jack, she exists to follow Jack around and help him, with exactly 0 goals that exist beyond Jack. Does she want to save her sisters if any of them survived? Who knows. Does she want to destroy Aku? Who knows. Does she want to confront the cult that raised her? Who knows (yes she fought her mother, but that was to defend Jack rather than it being something she wanted for herself). I mean the Scotsman is jack’s buddy and they both help each other out, but the Scotsman also has his own life and you get the impression that he has goals of his own.

Anyway Akushi’s design was nice, but I really could’ve done without the whole “You need to kill me” melodrama thing.

Still looking forward to the finale anyway.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Elite posted:

Does she want to save her sisters if any of them survived?
They're dead, dude

quote:

Does she want to destroy Aku?
She was kinda saying "We're going to destroy Aku" and "You have to destroy Aku" and such.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I very much agree with the sentiment that the more dialogue there is, the worse the episode is. With very few exception.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

"Aku! The rule was 'no dialogue allowed'!"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The latest episode just makes it even clearer how much more appropriate it would be to have Jack as a mentor/surrogate father to Ashi. Jack would be an alternative role model and "father" to Ashi compared to the evil (absent, abusive) Aku. The final battle between Jack and Aku would be not just a battle to save the future/reclaim the past (depending on whether Jack actually gets back to the past), but also an ideological battle between two dads.

Oh, well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah there are not nearly enough stories these days about a jaded old man wandering the apocalypse with an innocent little girl who serves as his surrogate daughter
it would be very progressive if genndy tartavosky wrote a story like that

Covok
May 27, 2013

Augus posted:

yeah there are not nearly enough stories these days about a jaded old man wandering the apocalypse with an innocent little girl who serves as his surrogate daughter

Not emptyquoting.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

jack loving a girl who was introduced to him as a mentally stunted, tantrum-throwing toddler was definitely the better path to take there

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Augus posted:

"other stories have done it, must be bad"

you are a loving idiot dude

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if only they had done at least an entire episode about this girl growing up and becoming more mature and learning what the world is really like, we wouldn't be stuck with this dilemma.
alas, this grown-rear end woman is basically a 5-year old because she was ignorant about stuff. it's a shame that women aren't capable of character growth like men are.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think that one thing that really baffles me to the Jashi relationship is that their initial moment of bonding is Jack telling her a literal bedtime story that his parents told him as a child. And she gets the same satisfaction from that you'd expect from a child.

I mean, she's an adult, but it's still pretty weird that they pushed for a relationship in light of her exceptionally sheltered mindset.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

if only they had done at least an entire episode about this girl growing up and becoming more mature and learning what the world is really like, we wouldn't be stuck with this dilemma.
alas, this grown-rear end woman is basically a 5-year old because she was ignorant about stuff. it's a shame that women aren't capable of character growth like men are.
Oh wow, a whole 22 minutes devoted to an 18 year old throwing off the weight of her entire life up to that point so she can gently caress the protagonist and not have it be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Guys, they only kissed. There has been no loving in this show. The previous episode started off exactly where the previous one had stopped, leaving no room for offscreen sex. The romance is still gross, but we don't need to make poo poo up.

• Locked thread