Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I mean, it worked for Dragonball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

breath of the mild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRp5_TvU3oI

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious whether Ubisoft's going to make actual substantive changes to Assassin's Creed with the new one or just go "it's Assassin's Creed... but in Egypt" and copy/paste towers and open world objectives everywhere and have some sort of hilarious explanation for why you can have an automatic retracting grappling hook

It seems like a good opportunity to "go back to the series's routes" and put a lot of effort into the actual assassination missions but, well, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I guarantee that's not their first instinct.

Do we really want Ubi to go back? I haven't played it yet but Syndicate went forward and was well reviewed for it so maybe that's the direction they should go? I certainly ain't keen on Asscreed 1 even if it was the only game that actually featured planned assassinations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mordja posted:

Different lead studio, I think? I skipped Primal and think it would have been better if it were closer to Blood Dragon in length. The underlying gameplay just doesn't seem like it could sustain a full-length Far Cry game.

I hope 5 is good, but I also hope it's not modern-day also.

Primal is really really fun, but it's also easy to burn out on. The plot is paper thin and pointless though, so it's a great game to put down and pick back up whenever you feel like it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Asscreed1 was kinda boring and felt like a proof of concept in some ways but the actual assassination missions were pretty cool- the whole city chasing after you killed the target until you were able to shake 'em was cool.

Like I might dig just making those much, much more involved.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Do we really want Ubi to go back? I haven't played it yet but Syndicate went forward and was well reviewed for it so maybe that's the direction they should go? I certainly ain't keen on Asscreed 1 even if it was the only game that actually featured planned assassinations.

Planned assassinations can be cool, though. I certainly don't want them to just make AC1 again, but bringing back the things it did well to mix with the things that later games did well would be cool.

Syndicate's main story missions were fine but it just continues down the Ubisoft open world rabbit hole of copy-pasted boring objectives and a power curve that ensures the player will never be challenged or need to use stealth. It's a fun enough game, and some of those things are true even of AC games I like more (like Black Flag), but with nothing else going on it really just felt like more of the same.

That said, I absolutely do not expect Ubisoft to cater to what I want from the series. I'm in a tiny minority who'd love it if AC games made you suck a lot more at direct combat so you had to use stealth and gadgets more to survive, but I think most people who buy AC games would hate that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah for all its flaws including being like half finished at best, AC1's setup of thief meets hitman with conspiracies was a lot more interesting to me than whatever the series has become over time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dewgy posted:

Primal is really really fun, but it's also easy to burn out on. The plot is paper thin and pointless though, so it's a great game to put down and pick back up whenever you feel like it.

yeah for sure. i loved the 15-20 hours i put in before i got bored. game is pretty too, but Horizon kinda blew it away in every possible way

i got the Ezio Collection and so far i've only played about the first 1/4 of 2 but i'm surprised at how well it holds up. it's still very fun.

e: also as an huge burroughs and mysticism dork i was blown away that hassan i sabbah was in a video game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I played through 2 and, uh Brotherhood? Whichever the second one was anyway, recently and they're still fun. Started the third one as well but the was too much rear end too quickly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AC2 did have the Feathers though and gently caress that noise

i really liked the base building aspect, simple as it was. hey, i built a brothel, are you proud of me mama? ...mama? :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious whether Ubisoft's going to make actual substantive changes to Assassin's Creed with the new one or just go "it's Assassin's Creed... but in Egypt" and copy/paste towers and open world objectives everywhere and have some sort of hilarious explanation for why you can have an automatic retracting grappling hook

It seems like a good opportunity to "go back to the series's routes" and put a lot of effort into the actual assassination missions but, well, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I guarantee that's not their first instinct.

Wildlands and For Honor were both announced recently as being the #1 and #2 bestselling games of 2017 thus far, despite the former being a vaguely worse MGSV and the latter having almost no content and poo poo-tier connection. Ubisoft could make pure dogshit at this point and make billions, they're never going to give a gently caress about trying hard.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the commercial for assassin's creed 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhK47AA7LKc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
most glaring disparity in quality between trailer and game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQa-SMrVG08

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lakbay posted:

Lies the game forces you to listen to robot man drone for 3 minutes instead of killing more demons

I'm mostly upset you don't get to kill him at the end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In the lead-up to Black Flag, I played AC 2 and Brotherhood, watched a cutscene compilation of Revelations, and read the Wikipedia article for AC3. I felt pretty good about those choices.

I liked the multiplayer they used to have, a shame they seem to have completely dropped that stuff

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
brotherhood's multiplayer was so money

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Wildlands and For Honor were both announced recently as being the #1 and #2 bestselling games of 2017 thus far, despite the former being a vaguely worse MGSV and the latter having almost no content and poo poo-tier connection. Ubisoft could make pure dogshit at this point and make billions, they're never going to give a gently caress about trying hard.

Is that true

What about like, Zelda and Horizon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Multiplatform games will always sell better than exclusives

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zelda's multiplatform.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DLC Inc posted:

But goons tell me that Ubisoft has spent years on the verge of bankruptcy and is totally going to get bought out by Vivendi any day now for realsies?

precision posted:

most glaring disparity in quality between trailer and game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQa-SMrVG08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bhb6wXYSOY

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Zelda's multiplatform.

more people bought zelda switch than actual switches which is crazy

I guess it makes sense that games on XB1/PS4/PC sold better than stuff only on PS4 or on Switch. poo poo like Zelda, Persona, Horizon, Yakuza won't reach that plateau.

All the PC reviews for those two Ubisoft games are "Mediocre" though so I guess it's like The Division, another game everyone bought at launch and then a month later decided was poo poo

Guy Mann posted:

But goons tell me that Ubisoft has spent years on the verge of bankruptcy and is totally going to get bought out by Vivendi any day now for realsies?

there's a difference between a hostile takeover and going bankrupt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

their getting acquired via hostile takeover has nothing to do with their games selling well or badly, it's something Viviendi has been in the process of doing, getting more and more of the share of the company

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the wii u isn't so much a platform as a pit

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

DLC Inc posted:

more people bought zelda switch than actual switches which is crazy

I guess it makes sense that games on XB1/PS4/PC sold better than stuff only on PS4 or on Switch. poo poo like Zelda, Persona, Horizon, Yakuza won't reach that plateau.

Pretty much. Those Ubisoft games are "pretty alright" at best but they are marketed like crazy and available on every platform and made to appeal to lots of undiscerning people. Horizon and Zelda sold really well but they're limited platform and even though Persona and Yakuza sold really well compared to earlier entries in the series, they're single platform bound and more niche.

Also even though the bone is kind of a failure, there are more in the wild than there are WiiU's and Switches combined and the people who own them don't have a lot of games to choose from so they'll buy up those multiplatform oatmeal games. Even if Horizon or Persona were to outsell Wildlands on the PS4 (I am pretty sure they didn't), bone sales would more than make up the difference. Add in the PC sales and well...

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 16, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Extremely surprised RE7 didn't outsell them both

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1579-Far-Cry-5

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

far cry 5 is entering a world where every Zenimax game in the last 2 years has eaten their lunch so I hope the "wild west setting" is true because gently caress another game on an island of malaysian locals who hate your guts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A wild west game doesn't seem very smart when Red Dead Redemption 2 is a thing that exists

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

far cry 5 is entering a world where every Zenimax game in the last 2 years has eaten their lunch so I hope the "wild west setting" is true because gently caress another game on an island of malaysian locals who hate your guts

Considering that loving Rockstar is releasing a wild west game it seems like an absurdly poor idea for anyone to try to take on that particular competition this year.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Far Cry 5, a medieval sword and sorcery game where you have to quell the 3 holy monsters and get the chief sword and stop the Animosity Satan before he can destroy the world, development started in April

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DLC Inc posted:

Scuttlebutt is that you play a police officer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1s4zrjlzWg&t=1465s

Frank West has fallen on some hard times.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ImpAtom posted:

Considering that loving Rockstar is releasing a wild west game it seems like an absurdly poor idea for anyone to try to take on that particular competition this year.

'This year' meaning Spring 2018 lmao

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If Far Cry 5 is indeed a Wild West setting like the rumors say people will buy it because RDR2 isn't out yet

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bhb6wXYSOY

They'll probably be acquired by Vivendi within a year. Ubisoft has been trailing Take2/EA/Acti-Blizz in digital revenue. One of the reasons they released AAA spin-offs like Far Cry Primal in the past is that they had a very difficult time maintaining player interest with post launch support. Ubisoft is very late to the expansion/monthly update system that the other big publishers used to get recurring revenue and keep player engagement strong between entries.

They've made drastic changes over the past few years and have done very well with service games this year. However, Ubisoft hasn't grown fast enough for their shareholders to unanimously back the Super Guillemot Bros.

ImpAtom posted:

They'll make another one of these:

And backtrack a month later.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Only one Wild West game at a time, please. Otherwise... I dunno

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Scuttlebutt is that you play a police officer.

That fits better with the logo design, I think. It's flat and there's that dark blue and red drop shadow that gives off a much more modern vibe than Wild West.

Far Cry in an urban setting would be pretty interesting and a big departure, though I suppose it's also possible that you play as a police officer but get stranded in some remote place and do all the normal Far Cry things instead.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Only one Wild West game at a time, please. Otherwise... I dunno

perfect time for Wild Arms 6, imo

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you want Far Cry in an urban setting you can just play the thoroughly average Homefront The Revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ubisoft's entire shtick is making easily identifiable, accessible games that millions of people will play. We don't have to live in continual amazement that their games are very middle of the road and formulaic because that is their entire goal.

• Locked thread