Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

If I can get my finances sorted out quickly, I'm going to Washington state.

gently caress Brevard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I love my quiet little corner of the Shenandoah Valley.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

I love my quiet little corner of the Shenandoah Valley.

Virginia sucks. I say this as someone who spent 5 years living there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure depending on who you ask every region sucks but I have enjoyed it here :)

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

psydude posted:

Virginia sucks. I say this as someone who spent 5 years living there.

Perspective.

Cole moved there from Tampa/St. Pete area.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Genocide Tendency posted:

Perspective.

Cole moved there from Tampa/St. Pete area.

What perspective of Virginia isn't looking at a bunch of burning tires?

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Someone hosed around with this message at May 16, 2017 around 02:25

The Jews were behind 9/11.

SwampDonkey fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 16, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

that was supposed to go in a different thread

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I'm from Kansas. I retire in a few years, if I don't get green weeneie'd.

Where's a good place to go? I got into the Army to get the gently caress out of Kansas, and now I have options and I don't know what to do.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Where in Kansas? I was raised at Leavenworth/Ft.Leavenworth and went to college/worked in Manhattan.

I'm in Oregon right now, it's seriously loving awesome up in the PNW. Absolutely the complete opposite in terms of Kansas where you have huge forests to hike in, mountains surrounding you, dry climate so very little humidity....

Also the Southwest is pretty awesome if you're into the whole "no snow" thing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

J.A.B.C. posted:

Where's a good place to go? I got into the Army to get the gently caress out of Kansas, and now I have options and I don't know what to do.

Almost anywhere on a coast that isn't Florida

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

J.A.B.C. posted:

I've heard good things about Thailand, Philippines, and Vietnam.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

J.A.B.C. posted:

I just came back from visiting family south of Raleigh this weekend and I'd move out there in a heartbeat, place owns.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

rifles posted:

I just came back from visiting family south of Raleigh this weekend and I'd move out there in a heartbeat, place owns.

The research triangle is by far the best place I have ever been to. It's a nice place to live and only about an hour and a half from either the mountains or beach.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Counterpoint: North Carolina is being run by a bunch of loving unhinged, unapologetically and openly poo poo-flinging retarded racist monkeys. Anyone that isn't basically an industrial hog farmer can see the people at the wheel are steaming full speed ahead and are busy figuring out how to get the gently caress out of Dodge with all of their money and businesses. I'm pretty sure if the research triangle could physically pick their ball up and go somewhere else, they'd be gone faster than you could blink.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

West Coast. PNW is ok but be warned, you will suffer months of grey and miserable mist/rain and yes, freezing mist is a real thing. Then you will go weeks of brutal sunshine and I say brutal because at first you're like "yay! Sun!" But by week 3 your front yard is starting to dry up and heat radiates off the blacktop and you're like "where the gently caress is the rain?"

Or just move down south where it doesn't rain as much. And drive to see snow whenever you want.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Soulex posted:

West Coast. PNW is ok but be warned, you will suffer months of grey and miserable mist/rain and yes, freezing mist is a real thing.

If this were the permanent weather conditions I would move there without hesitation. Like.. I would be homeless if necessary to live there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i saw the sun last week it was cool

like hi dude glad to see you thanks for your rayz wait no where are you going come back no dad no

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i saw the sun last week it was cool

like hi dude glad to see you thanks for your rayz wait no where are you going come back no dad no

Don't worry he's just going to get a pack of smokes.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I moved from CO to OH. Columbus has a way better job market for my field, it's family friendly, and there is a lot to do.

I moved from CO before the drat housing market exploded and hosed myself out of tens of thousands of dollars, you can smoke weed all you want there, it's warm like all loving year, the sun is ALWAYS shining, and people in Ohio are fatass consumerist loving chimpanzees in comparison. Not looking forward to having to buy a $700k house when I move back, but god loving drat it Colorado rules and I miss it every loving day. So beautiful and best climate ever. All major sports. Great microbrews. The fires can suck and the dryness can be lame, but if you're looking to move somewhere you hosed up by not moving to Denver.

Edit: DISCLAIMER: Anything not in or near Denver is a trash hole, ESPECIALLY Colorado Springs.

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 17, 2017

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
When I got out of the Army I bought an RV and drove it across a good chunk of the country. Ended up settling down in the SW corner of Colorado and I love it here. I can't stand city life so no Denver for me. Out here it is real rural and surrounded by small to medium sized towns. We also have a surprisingly high vet population per capita. milk milk lemonade is right about the beautiful weather and good points of Colorado. It is the same out here, if not a little bit warmer throughout the year.

If you're not in a hurry to settle down, get out and see a bit of the country. See what kind of places you like and find somewhere nice where you can see yourself staying for awhile.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Delizin posted:

When I got out of the Army I bought an RV and drove it across a good chunk of the country. Ended up settling down in the SW corner of Colorado and I love it here. I can't stand city life so no Denver for me. Out here it is real rural and surrounded by small to medium sized towns. We also have a surprisingly high vet population per capita. milk milk lemonade is right about the beautiful weather and good points of Colorado. It is the same out here, if not a little bit warmer throughout the year.

If you're not in a hurry to settle down, get out and see a bit of the country. See what kind of places you like and find somewhere nice where you can see yourself staying for awhile.

here's a movie about something similar that I watched a few weeks back

Stars Richard Hatch AKA Apollo from Battlestar Galactica and the dick prisoner dude from New Battlestar Galactica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIurAhxsWCU

Two guys after getting out of the Army (depicted as throwing class A's into the army) meet up with their girlfiends and buy an RV and embark on a cross country trip to deliver RV to an RV show (they got a hell of a discount to do this!)

Along the way the guy that isn't Hatch makes a series of increasingly impulsive and bad decisions (buying a motor cycle, beating people up, drugs and drinking) as well as constantly singing army cadences. At various points of the movie everyone bangs everyone. Eventually people kill each other.

its really enlisted as gently caress

also some 70s tits

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Central Oregon gets quite a bit more sun than most of the PNW..

Okay maybe not this winter but most winter's c'mon Google told me so

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Even with all the rain and darkness I still had a ton of fun in the Seattle area this past winter. It just meant more bar hopping around Seattle and less camping in the woods...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Plus the tinder game here is strong, if I get overly ambitious I end up talking to like 8+ girls at one time and it's impossible to schedule that many dates in a relatively short period of time unless literally all you do is go to work and go on tinder dates

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

an 8+ in the army is like a 3 in the civilian standards so your dating pool is like 400 fold what the civilian 8 would be.

But you're an officer so that's like what an upgrade in 2 points? I dunno i'm so confused right now

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There's just a lot of good looking people in general in Seattle. It's a pretty nice place.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Officers can score college pussy but most bitches on tinder are basic af

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I mean like numerically, 8+ individual girls, I'm in swiping range from Seattle down to Olympia, and yeah there are a lot of good looking people up here

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

milk milk lemonade posted:

Officers can score college pussy but most bitches on tinder are basic af

I once had an E-5 say battalion pre-deployment family briefings were what convinced him he hosed up not going to college when all the officer spouses sat together.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
http://terminallance.com/2012/10/05/terminal-lance-229-she-dont-rate/

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's the only class from OCS I remember, and the most important imho

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I miss that part about Washington. This part of New York... ehhhhh.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
14 series enlisted guy in my shop (E4) just admitted he got a $40k reenlistment bonus.

I was like woah, where's my officer incentive pay

OH WAIT

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I honestly felt kind of bad when some of the NCO's in my platoon were like "sir, when you got promoted to 1LT it must have been a nice $300 extra a month right?" and I was like uhhh no, more like an extra $1010 a month. Granted I got the 1LT and 2 years in pay raises at the same time.

Officer pay raises in general are pretty ridiculous, at least through captain anyway.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Officer pay raises in general are pretty ridiculous, at least through captain anyway.

And then they slow right the hell down. But still seem nice.

Why don't you have a seat over there.

Stay a while.

Here's a nice-ish assignment. Did you like it?

Cool, good, hrm, getting pretty close to 10 years now, buddy

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Seriously dude the job market out there sucks, why not just hit up another contract and you got that guaranteed paycheck and sweet sweet mil bennies coming your way...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I know a guy that got out and couldn't make it. Now he's trying to get back into the army, but they won't take him. You don't want to get out and not realize that you should've stayed in. Why don't you just reenlist?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
everyone i knew that got out that you knew was going to be hosed always had a plan like "my uncle owns a lawn mower service station in cockville IA" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

MurderBot posted:

Central Oregon gets quite a bit more sun than most of the PNW..

Okay maybe not this winter but most winter's c'mon Google told me so

This winter sucked. Central Oregon is pretty rad, just get a dog and a Toyota.