Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching Eegah that many times over about a month can't be healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I do find it a bit strange just HOW hard they're leaning on "watch out for snakes". Like yeah, that was a good moment. And MST nerds throw it out a lot around each other, sure. But they said it like, several times in the new season and then named the tour after it too.

Hell it wasn't even their joke, right? It was just a weird line in the movie? It's been awhile now. I guess we've got a "MST3K Live The Master Would Not Approve Tour" to look forward to?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

They probably barely watch it by the end. It's like any performance: you hear the same lines over and over and over again as you rehearse or do the run of the show. The straight men for this comedy are just all pre-recorded by fifty-five years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

I do find it a bit strange just HOW hard they're leaning on "watch out for snakes". Like yeah, that was a good moment. And MST nerds throw it out a lot around each other, sure. But they said it like, several times in the new season and then named the tour after it too.

Hell it wasn't even their joke, right? It was just a weird line in the movie? It's been awhile now. I guess we've got a "MST3K Live The Master Would Not Approve Tour" to look forward to?

It's such a wonderful moment though. It's like, one of the key MST3K moments.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Light Gun Man posted:

DID I TELL YOU MY TIRES ARE FILLED WITH WATER

MY TIRES ARE FILLED WITH WATER

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eegah is at least one of those bad movies that's goofy enough without being offensively bad like a Coleman Francis.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

It's such a wonderful moment though. It's like, one of the key MST3K moments.

I agree, it's just weird hearing it like, over and over now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just to add another perspective, I've never seen the yeegah episode, and if "Watch out for snakes" is some catchphrase they've used a lot in this season, I never even noticed it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just to add another perspective, I've never seen the yeegah episode, and if "Watch out for snakes" is some catchphrase they've used a lot in this season, I never even noticed it.

It's in literally every episode this season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

It's in literally every episode this season.

Okay no its not.

It showed up for the first time in the time traveler one and I've heard it maybe one other time since

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Burkion posted:

Okay no its not.

On the other hand, YEEEEEEEESSSSS?... probably is.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I know I've heard it personally in at least five of the episodes, and that was a high enough number for me to believe the trivium that I heard. When I go back through and rewatch the whole season I'll pay more attention.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Winters Holy Hand posted:

Live tour announced. Tickets go on sale this Friday. Two shows in most cities. One previously riffed film and one secret film.

Lol I cannot view the page, Firefox says the site isn't secure and I cannot view it. Chrome says the same thing.

That means I probably can't get tickets, but then i doubt there is a Toronto show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Lol I cannot view the page, Firefox says the site isn't secure and I cannot view it. Chrome says the same thing.

That means I probably can't get tickets, but then i doubt there is a Toronto show.

It happens on and off with the entire MST3K site. You can just tell Firefox to make an exception.

e: or maybe that link is just bad? Just go to mst3k.com and click on "Tour."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bicyclops posted:

It happens on and off with the entire MST3K site. You can just tell Firefox to make an exception.

e: or maybe that link is just bad? Just go to mst3k.com and click on "Tour."

That worked. No Toronto Show, but Vancouver. God dammit.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Remove the S from https in the link. http://www.mst3k.com/tour

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

twistedmentat posted:

That worked. No Toronto Show, but Vancouver. God dammit.

Nor Montreal. :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They're doing Eegah in Portland but not the mystery movie. We'll see how quickly things sell out, it's a nice concert hall.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nor Montreal. :(

You're a dreamer...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Remove the S from https in the link. http://www.mst3k.com/tour

Yeah, the certificate is not valid. At least it wasn't last night.

Looks like https now redirects to http. That's fixing the wrong thing. Never mind, it's because I added the exception last night.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 16, 2017

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
So is Jonah gonna be the host for next season? Cause it seems kinda weird on how they seemingly killed him off at the end.

And then there's this bit on carvival Magic:

Are they hinting at next season's host? Is it going to be one of those things where there's a new host every season?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Manofmanusernames posted:

So is Jonah gonna be the host for next season? Cause it seems kinda weird on how they seemingly killed him off at the end.

Are they hinting at next season's host? Is it going to be one of those things where there's a new host every season?

That's just another facet of the Alternaverse peeking through.

Regarding Jonah, you didn't watch the credits of the last episode, did you? Joel has said that Jonah will get ~100 episodes, all things permitting (to bring him up to par with Joel and Mike).

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 16, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Manofmanusernames posted:

It's a Kickstarter Backer, I believe.

re Jonah:
Jonah is not dead. That's him in the spacesuit doing the EVO at the very end.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 16, 2017

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Besides it's sci-fi. No one really dies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One might even say, it's just a show.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

precision posted:

One might even say, it's just a show.
I should really just freak out?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I just finished the series last night. I've already said enough good things about individuals episodes, but the rebooted series as a whole really captures what I loved about MST3K.

Its charming in general with Jonah coming off as a lovable doofus with his two robot friends. The dynamic is similar to Mike but different in important ways. Whereas Mike felt like an older brother, Jonah is more of the kid across the street coming over to hang out. It does the series credit I think and establishes something a bit different that does not ruin the "oh gosh you guys" dynamic the show thrives on.

The bots took some time to get used too but fit into their roles easily enough in a couple of episodes. The netflix shorts also really helped establish them as the characters for me.

In general, I really do find it charming. I keep coming back to that word to describe it to new and old fans. It never veers to hard into blue humor, despite the occasional outburst and accompanying "hush" that the show loves to do. It also feels nerdy in a generic way that I always ascribed to the show. When it got announced that it was coming back, I worried that it would dive deep in endless geek/nerd references like a bad youtube let's play but instead it retains a lot of the older's shows DNA. There is more gaming/nerd humor in it but I never felt it was overly forced and any fan could pick up on it.

I am bit sad that the live tour is not coming anywhere near Texas for me and I do hope that the show gets picked up for more seasons. Given how positive the response has been, or at least as far as we can tell, I think that's likely. Still after years of nothing but the odd Turkey Day Marathon appearance, its great just to get a dozen or so new episodes to love on.

Welp, loved it! Now to enjoy to some re-watches. I got a big state test on Saturday I need to pass but after that grueling experience (ugh 5 hour tests), I got feeling that Cry Wilderness and some much needed booze is in order.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think my only real quibble with the new series is that it feels a touch too scripted in places. The rapid pace of jokes sometimes doesn't leave enough room for the previous joke to breathe, and there was a general lack of bemusement with the films that made the delivery feel less spontaneous. Having Joel/Mike or the bots crack up over some cheap special effect or poor line delivery added a touch of authenticity to the whole experience of, "You're watching this bad film along with these three other guys for the first time." This might just be a consequence of a different comedic style or filming restrictions - when you're on as tight a shooting schedule as they seemed to be, you really don't want to potentially gently caress up the delivery with a giggling fit.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 16, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jonah is like the perfect mix of Mike and Joel style humor. Really super casting.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Jonah is like the perfect mix of Mike and Joel style humor. Really super casting.

Plus enough of a name to draw in casual/non fans without eclipsing the show. Same for Patton.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Vermain posted:

I think my only real quibble with the new series is that it feels a touch too scripted in places. The rapid pace of jokes sometimes doesn't leave enough room for the previous joke to breathe, and there was a general lack of bemusement with the films that made the delivery feel less spontaneous. Having Joel/Mike or the bots crack up over some cheap special effect or poor line delivery added a touch of authenticity to the whole experience of, "You're watching this bad film along with these three other guys for the first time." This might just be a consequence of a different comedic style or filming restrictions - when you're on as tight a shooting schedule as they seemed to be, you really don't want to potentially gently caress up the delivery with a giggling fit.

This is a fair complaint. I think it has something to do with the amount of guest writers they had for the season. I remember that they sent the tapes out and got jokes with time codes sent back. I imagine there is a lot of comedy gold they did not want to lose but it does make the episodes feel stuffed. Some jokes did not get the proper time to kind of "air out" if you well. I do remember hearing them giggle and laugh at some of the worst effects in the movies. Reptilicus eating the guy is the one that springs to mind the easiest, but I swear I remember some of At the Earth's Core. But yeah, I imagine the tight scheduling (2 weeks seems like a breakneck pace) and the writing style is at fault for that complaint.

Plus enough of a name to draw in casual/non fans without eclipsing the show. Same for Patton.

To be honest, I was most concerned from Patton at the get go. I genuinely like the guy but that's a big name for the show. I admit to not really knowing who Heston was beforehand tho. Patton nailed it though. He played the comedic side-kick great and thought his little character arc towards the back half of the season was great. I really liked the little gift giving montage in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't especially. He is pretty expressive.

Great casting all around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love Patton Oswalt but the best thing about him in this show is how little he actually says. It's all in the looks and body language.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I was so excited about the chance to see MST3K live yesterday that I was almost giddy.

Cut to today when I see that the cheapest option for tickets to the show near me is over a hundred bucks when I thought it'd only be about eighty to see both shows. Totally out of my price range, and that loving blows.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus. Tickets for the Minneapolis shows start at $99. Per movie.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ferret posted:

To be honest, I was most concerned from Patton at the get go. I genuinely like the guy but that's a big name for the show. I admit to not really knowing who Heston was beforehand tho. Patton nailed it though. He played the comedic side-kick great and thought his little character arc towards the back half of the season was great. I really liked the little gift giving montage in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't especially. He is pretty expressive.

Great casting all around.
I agree about Patton but he felt just so right as a replacement TV's Frank that I instantly accepted it. In any other role I'd be wary but it just fit so well. Plus he's not a huge name. Sure my mom may recognize him from King of Queens but wouldn't know his name. I knew of Jonah Ray from the Meltdown and various podcast appearances but nothing about him really. Just enough of a comfortable recognizability without bringing some baggage. It it were Scott Aukerman it'd just feel like Scott Aukerman and not Scott Heston. Paul F Tompkins could have done it but it would have totally felt like PFT in space as opposed to this character. Even if that character is very much like what Jonah Ray is really like.

Of course now I'm picturing various comedians and products hosts as being on the SOL. I kinda wanna see Brian Posehn fumble around awkwardly up there. And Doug Benson try to use Tom as a bong.

Both of which were on TV Wheel so I suppose it isn't too far fetched.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Breadallelogram posted:

I could be wrong, but I think those prices are for VIP packages and platinum tickets since the general public sale hasn't begun yet.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I was so excited about the chance to see MST3K live yesterday that I was almost giddy.

Cut to today when I see that the cheapest option for tickets to the show near me is over a hundred bucks when I thought it'd only be about eighty to see both shows. Totally out of my price range, and that loving blows.

Breadallelogram posted:

Make sure you're using the code from the email. I was only seeing $99 seats until I entered it, then it opened up some much more reasonable options.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Counts posted:

Make sure you're using the code from the email. I was only seeing $99 seats until I entered it, then it opened up some much more reasonable options.

Oh thank god. Thank you for posting that. $39 seems like nothing now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Before MST3K, I only knew Jonah as Kumail Nanjiani's friend from The Meltdown. I still think Kumail would have been a better pick, but Jonah's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kumail seems a little too meek in style. Like if he were up there he would spend most of his time hiding from the robots, and tell some hilarious anecdotes about them in a set later.