Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Here is my event, come hear me talk about 50 years of Gen Con history through its programs and what they can teach us about gaming, pop culture, and the con itself.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Here are my two events

https://www.gencon.com/events/110907

https://www.gencon.com/events/110911

My plan was to run the public games Thursday and Friday evening, then do a private goon game Saturday.

I also brought up the possibility of doing a side-by-side private session with NoM, so stayed tuned if something changes

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

:siren: COMMUNICATION INFO :siren:

As we get closer to event time, I want to point out to anyone that may not use it that we use Groupme for chat and coordination.

It's a great mobile/PC app that can fall back to group texting when data isn't available.

If you aren't in the Goon Gencon Groupme Group yet, PM me your username or phone number and we can get you set up.

https://www.groupme.com

https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU Click this link to join!
You really cannot overstate how useful GroupMe has been in the past. It might not always guarantee an instant result for your question or desperate search for nummies, but more often than not if you have any passing question or thought about Gen-Con and write it down there you get a great answer from one of the Nerd Cadre in short order.

nesbit37 posted:

Here is my event, come hear me talk about 50 years of Gen Con history through its programs and what they can teach us about gaming, pop culture, and the con itself.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874
OH BABY I AM SO THERE

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of, events are live! Mine is here if anyone wants to get on it, but be aware I'll be running a goon fuckup game later in the evening
https://www.gencon.com/events/106204

Looks hella awesome. Dungeon World + computer of binary skeletons is a recipe that can't go wrong.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm running a Delta Green game (https://www.gencon.com/events/113955) and a Trail of Cthulhu game (https://www.gencon.com/events/111847).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

If I want to play some board games at gen-con, do I need to register for events in advance or will there be lots of demo games and other opportunities to try out anything that looks neat? This is my first year at gen con and I'm finding the event list overwhelmingly large.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Tons of things to demo for free, though if you want to get in on the hot new game or a tournament, you need to find events.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I either do not understand how the search engine for events works or I understand it perfectly. So many choices!!!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I either do not understand how the search engine for events works or I understand it perfectly. So many choices!!!

I think the search engine defaults to or-ing terms. So the search returns anything that has erotic or anime or larp (in any field as well as many misspellings and nearby words too as far as I can tell). I'm not sure how to force it to return only results that have both terms. Neither wrapping in " " or separating with + works.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LLSix posted:

I think the search engine defaults to or-ing terms. So the search returns anything that has erotic or anime or larp (in any field as well as many misspellings and nearby words too as far as I can tell). I'm not sure how to force it to return only results that have both terms. Neither wrapping in " " or separating with + works.
Yeah when I tried to actually do exactly what the last mass e-mail said and search for "Gen Con 50" to find, uh, Gen-Con 50 events, it failed in every possible permutation (obviously, as you pointed out). I did ALSO find relevant events doing that, but I was amused that "Gen Con 50" also brought in dozens of Hearthstone and e-sports tournaments. "Celebrate 50 years of tabletop wargaming through things that scare old people!"

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LLSix posted:

If I want to play some board games at gen-con, do I need to register for events in advance or will there be lots of demo games and other opportunities to try out anything that looks neat? This is my first year at gen con and I'm finding the event list overwhelmingly large.

Personally, sign up for anything that looks fun and make a game time decision if you'll go or not based on how you are finding things. You can return tickets up to 30 minutes before the game for a near full refund so its low risk. There will be tons of demos to be had in the dealer hall from 10-6 every day. After that there will be games a plenty but if you're introverted you might not like asking to join in since they will be more informal.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

nesbit37 posted:

Personally, sign up for anything that looks fun and make a game time decision if you'll go or not based on how you are finding things. You can return tickets up to 30 minutes before the game for a near full refund so its low risk. There will be tons of demos to be had in the dealer hall from 10-6 every day. After that there will be games a plenty but if you're introverted you might not like asking to join in since they will be more informal.

Yeah you really have to shed your shyness at GenCon and just ask to join in on things because most of the time more people are always welcome.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For those of you that don't like the interface of the official search don't forget you can also use highprogrammer:

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2017.cgi/

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm running a Delta Green game (https://www.gencon.com/events/113955) and a Trail of Cthulhu game (https://www.gencon.com/events/111847).

I am going to try like hell to get into this. I considered volunteering for Arc Dream, but I wanted to run Kali Ghati at least once personally before volunteering for them (with any luck, I'll be able to run it this weekend).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LuiCypher posted:

I am going to try like hell to get into this. I considered volunteering for Arc Dream, but I wanted to run Kali Ghati at least once personally before volunteering for them (with any luck, I'll be able to run it this weekend).

I wish you luck because I'm sure the reservation system is going to be just as bad as the room reservation system.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I know there are game/event tickets and generic tickets, but do you buy the generic tickets before Gencon or at Gencon? This will be my first time there, and I already have my X-Wing stuff sort of mapped out, but I want to some board gaming too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

enigmahfc posted:

I know there are game/event tickets and generic tickets, but do you buy the generic tickets before Gencon or at Gencon? This will be my first time there, and I already have my X-Wing stuff sort of mapped out, but I want to some board gaming too.

You can do both. I usually buy about $12 worth before hand, which they send with your regular tickets and lanyard. They can also be turned in for a refund to your Gencon account.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I wish you luck because I'm sure the reservation system is going to be just as bad as the room reservation system.

It's not as bad; the wishlist system is kind of nice, but I don't think they do the random time lottery, so it becomes a race to hit the button. Some events just have tons of demand and/or not enough supply, like Novus Ordo Seclorum/You Too Can Cthulhu games.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was going to excitedly post that this year should be better because Chaosium's new management is finally addressing the huge lack of Cthulhu games...but that started last year, right? Stupid "Blank 2016 Gen-Con Experiences"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

It's not as bad; the wishlist system is kind of nice, but I don't think they do the random time lottery, so it becomes a race to hit the button. Some events just have tons of demand and/or not enough supply, like Novus Ordo Seclorum/You Too Can Cthulhu games.

That's good and I'm glad Chaosium is now at least trying.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Someone on the Gen-Con Forums pointed out that the old events search system is actually still active on the page, it is just not linked to by default.

And when using it with quotation marks, you pass the all-important test:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

One thing I have noticed at cons/gamedays, both local and the Gen Con variety, is the following with regards to RPGs.

Call of Cthulhu - :zerg:

Trail of Cthulhu - :zerg::zerg:

Delta Green - :shrug:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I signed up to a couple delta green games this year, I did last year too but I didnt get in any of them :(

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So this year I decided to hold off on running my regular 'Starting a Podcast' seminar but it's ok because while perusing the event listings I've noticed that everyone else who runs an RPG podcast took up my slack.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Well, you clearly did a great job then

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
What system is delta green? Google tells me its Xcom meets cthuhlu, is it just a setting? I vaugely remember it being an Apoc world hack.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fellis posted:

What system is delta green? Google tells me its Xcom meets cthuhlu, is it just a setting? I vaugely remember it being an Apoc world hack.

The new edition is basically Call of Cthulhu with some quality of life improvements from Trail of Cthulhu.

It's still a d100 roll under system, but in the course of investigation the GM can give you better clues if you have certain skills over a percentage threshold. For example, if you're checking out a crime scene and you have Forensics at 60%, the GM can give you additional clues to represent your expertise - no need to roll. Some of the printed adventures even have multiple thresholds - someone with Forensics at 30% will pick up this clue, but someone at 60% will pick up both that clue and another one.

You generally only roll for things that have consequences for failure/you are in a stressful situation. In addition, while you have one sanity score you have two sanity 'tracks' - violence and helplessness. Through the course of play, you can become accustomed to both.

There are generally two ways to play Delta Green. One is that you're an official government conspiracy (XCOM 1). The other is where DG is a rogue organization (XCOM 2). Regardless, people shouldn't know anything about what it is that you're doing.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I signed up to a couple delta green games this year, I did last year too but I didnt get in any of them :(

I played The Star Chamber last year with the guy who's running the Delta Green LARP this year, and we didn't have a full house for our session so :shrug:

Perhaps I will run a goon group this year? :iiam:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If there's a game you really want to play in but couldn't register online for it, go to the game before it starts and if there is a no show, you can jump in with generics.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Sweet, thanks buddy!

Now someone make an Xcom meets cthulhu and also aliens apoc world hack thanks in advance

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Uh, didn't someone already do that? Isn't that what Tremulus is supposed to be?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ilor posted:

Uh, didn't someone already do that? Isn't that what Tremulus is supposed to be?

Ok, i already said "thanks in advance" dude jeez

(I had not heard of Tremulus and that owns, thanks for the tip!)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be (overly) snarky. Tremulus may not be exactly what you want, but it might be close enough to be easily turned into a hack++.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ilor posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be (overly) snarky. Tremulus may not be exactly what you want, but it might be close enough to be easily turned into a hack++.

No need to apologize friend, I wouldn't be on these here forums if the posts were snark-free. I fired back, we good :)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What are the pros and cons of being part of a GM network (such as MAMS Gaming as a random example)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm going with a larger group than usual this year, and we've blocked out our schedule of events we want to do. We're all friends on the Gen Con site. Is the best way to wishlist the events for myself + all my friends, then when registration opens hope to make it through the floodgates and claim the tickets to the events? I seem to remember some problem last year with an event on both my friend and I's wishlist selling out, and then I couldn't buy a replacement event for him in the same timeslot because the expired event was still in his wishlist at that timeslot. I might be misremembering, though. Any tips are appreciated!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Agrias120 posted:

I'm going with a larger group than usual this year, and we've blocked out our schedule of events we want to do. We're all friends on the Gen Con site. Is the best way to wishlist the events for myself + all my friends, then when registration opens hope to make it through the floodgates and claim the tickets to the events? I seem to remember some problem last year with an event on both my friend and I's wishlist selling out, and then I couldn't buy a replacement event for him in the same timeslot because the expired event was still in his wishlist at that timeslot. I might be misremembering, though. Any tips are appreciated!

Best bet would be to have one person add you all as "Friends" on the gencon webiste. Then have that one person sign up for the event and get tickets for everyone, then click the "Dont get tickets unless we can get tickets for everyone".

That way you will be ensured you can all go to the event.

If you want to play a little more loosey goosey than have everyone sign up for the event and mash the "process wishlish" key on the 28th. There is a chance that only 4/5 of you will get tickets.

Or you could have one person get tickets, and the other people get replacement tickets that you refund if you get into the main event.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Exmond posted:

Best bet would be to have one person add you all as "Friends" on the gencon webiste. Then have that one person sign up for the event and get tickets for everyone, then click the "Dont get tickets unless we can get tickets for everyone".

Awesome, this was my plan, I just wasn't sure if there was a better way or something. Going this route, we don't need to have everyone add each event to their wish list, right?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Alright, goons, which one of you made this event a necessity?

"" posted:

Title:Consent & Cuddles

Short Description:Physical touch provides an excellent workshop tool for practicing how to give, deny, & revoke consent – and how to manage your feelings when others do those things in relation to you.

Long Description:Consent is a popular topic of discussion, and there’s some reason to believe it’s not well understood throughout popular culture. Physical touch provides an excellent workshop tool for practicing how to give, deny, and revoke consent – and how to manage your feelings when others do those things in relation to you. We’ll take a very “training wheels” approach in the session, and then those who consent will have some time to cuddle with each other. Physical contact with others is not required for participation. No sexual interaction will be allowed during the workshop.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
More importantly, which one of you made the last line a necessity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If there's not dongs going in...what the point?

• Locked thread