Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

It's real. Like $20 million to never play professionally again.

Yeah, he shows up at charity events and the like from time to time but he's had an obscene number of surgeries as well.

Also invested a ton of money into some company and made a boatload so it's not like he needs the money from playing. Not that he would have anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Tried left hand low putting during my after work 9 tonight and made everything I looked at.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

Tried left hand low putting during my after work 9 tonight and made everything I looked at.

I think I'll tool around with it very soon. My main concern is with speed, but I struggle with that right hand low, so who knows!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

So speaking of Si Woo Kim, what ever happened to Anthony Kim? He was all the rage for awhile, he had like his own posse or something didn't he? I can't remember what happened to him.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/anthony-kim-ryder-cup-breakout-star-2008-nowhere-be-found

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I knew some of the story of the making of Erin Hills, site of the US Open next month, but the murder caught me offguard. Here is a link to the first article. The murder comes in a later article.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/golf/2017-us-open/2017/05/05/making-erin-hills-part-1-most-perfect-site/100024980/

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Golf Megathread 2017 : The murder comes in a later article.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll be damned :stare:

And this:

Nerdrock posted:

Golf Megathread 2017 : The murder comes in a later article.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Try and guess who it will be!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My golf league got cancelled last night because of potential rain/thunderstorms. I went out and hit range balls at a course that's ~10 miles north. I was able to then hop on and play probably 27 holes or so(in a total random order). Meanwhile, 10 miles south they had golf ball sized hail!

I'm testing a grip change out, weakening my grip substantially in an effort to keep from de-lofting and/or over-releasing the clubface at impact. It's a change I've been trying to implement lacklusterly for years, but finally decided why the hell not. The results so far are quite promising. I'm getting a lot more height on my iron shots, and a MUCH straighter ball flight. In the past it's been extremely rare for me to hit an iron shot dead straight, there is always a bit of draw and sometimes I'll completely overcook it.

I 'missed' a fair amount of shots while I played, but every miss was more or less a block to the right and a bit short. Which is usually less penal than a huge low hook long and left. I tell you what though, I hit some of the most beautiful long iron shots of my life last night. I played the last nine holes straight up, instead of hitting multiple shots, bounced around the course but managed to play 2 par 3s, 2 par 5s and 5 par 4s, so it was more or less a regulation 9 holes.

Shot an even par 36 with 3 birdies and 1 penalty stroke(tried to hit a fade with my drive and hit a terrible push slice OB). Some highlights.

Hole 10: uphill par 3, 205 yards with a TINY, crowned green. It's normally a nightmare, extremely difficult to hit and hold the green, especially if you have a low ball flight. Google maps shows the green to be about 20 paces wide and 20 paces deep, perfectly circular. I hit a 5 iron that went straight as an arrow, high, and settled 4 feet from the hole. I could play that hole 100 times and never get closer than that. Made the birdie putt too :).

Hole 17: 538 yard par 5, hit an okay drive, blocked my layup a little right and in the rough, and hit a lob wedge from 100 yards to 2 feet. My wedges felt so much more accurate in my hands than normal(and I normally feel pretty good about my wedges)

There's still a bit of work to do with my driver/woods, but I hit some good drives and when I did miss the fairway it wasn't by much.

Anyways, feels good man, need to get out and work on ingraining the changes as I still don't feel like I have complete control of the clubhead, but one thing I noticed is that my clubhead stays more square for a lot longer of a time than when my grip was stronger. If my timing was off or I didn't quite finish my swing, the ball wasn't too far off line. I'm hoping this brings some more consistency to my iron game.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

My 9 year old son had his first private lesson today (he had 4 group lessons last summer with other kids). First thing he asked my son was to see his grip; standard interlocking grip that I showed him (like my dad showed me), guy liked it. Couple of swings, my son is hitting it 20 yards father, and more importantly straighter, than he was before which made his face light up with joy. Spent a half hour on simple swing techniques (poo poo I need to actually practice), then they went off to putt and played 2 holes.

He's only hitting it 30-40 yards tops, but he doesn't care. He's excited about learning the game and even more excited that it's not me teaching him and hey that's fine. He IS excited to go play 9 holes with me tomorrow. I'm so happy he's taking a liking to this frustrating, asinine, activity game like me.

I also found out when they came back that he was talking poo poo about me and how I always hit it into the woods. I guess I should quit and just be his caddy at this point.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvbz7lniv2o

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got out for the first time after work this year

I may need to get out after work more often lol.

Best round I've ever shot at this course too! Not playing this weekend but already have Disney's Lake Buena Vista booked for next friday. Looking forward to playing there as I haven't played that Disney course yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahaha this rules

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I found this one NY Times article that's older than me:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/17/sports/sports-of-the-times-stop-golf-s-tattle-tales.html

Needless to say, the tattling because of something on TV that the officials missed is an oooooooooold problem.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The birdies have all deserted me :saddowns:

Hit 6/9 greens last night, four of them were in the 10-15 foot range, none dropped. 7 pars and 2 bogeys.

I finally got around to ordering some lead tape for my driver so I'll be experimenting with that. I never adjusted the swing weight after having it shortened an inch and my most common miss is low on the heel so a little more weight might help me get the head back to where it should be at impact a little easier. That's the dream anyway.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Finally have the compressed work schedule finished and my back sorted. Lesson set for next week! The city is finally looking nice and green and I am mucho excited to get out there again!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Douchebag posted:

My 9 year old son had his first private lesson today (he had 4 group lessons last summer with other kids). First thing he asked my son was to see his grip; standard interlocking grip that I showed him (like my dad showed me), guy liked it. Couple of swings, my son is hitting it 20 yards father, and more importantly straighter, than he was before which made his face light up with joy. Spent a half hour on simple swing techniques (poo poo I need to actually practice), then they went off to putt and played 2 holes.

He's only hitting it 30-40 yards tops, but he doesn't care. He's excited about learning the game and even more excited that it's not me teaching him and hey that's fine. He IS excited to go play 9 holes with me tomorrow. I'm so happy he's taking a liking to this frustrating, asinine, activity game like me.

I also found out when they came back that he was talking poo poo about me and how I always hit it into the woods. I guess I should quit and just be his caddy at this point.

This is awesome and I'm happy for you

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played 15 holes yesterday. On pace for a 5 hour plus round, called it quits. Of course, they recommend a 4:40 pace anyway, so it's not like it was that far off the pace. And, it's a course that a 4 ball of 15 handicappers could play in 4 hours. Went on a Wednesday morning to avoid the Thursday men's/women's league play, only to find the women play on Wednesday now. And, the rangers won't do anything, because, "it's league play." Jesus. Pick up and skip a hole once you're two holes behind, ok?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Played 15 holes yesterday. On pace for a 5 hour plus round, called it quits. Of course, they recommend a 4:40 pace anyway, so it's not like it was that far off the pace. And, it's a course that a 4 ball of 15 handicappers could play in 4 hours. Went on a Wednesday morning to avoid the Thursday men's/women's league play, only to find the women play on Wednesday now. And, the rangers won't do anything, because, "it's league play." Jesus. Pick up and skip a hole once you're two holes behind, ok?

My league is slow as poo poo sometimes because it's a shotgun start and a couple holes start with A and B foursomes. At the horn, one group tees off and the other waits.

I've been reading some golf books, and they all say that golfers need to focus more on 120 yards and in. So I've been tracking that stuff, and I'm coming to the conclusion that my pitching game needs work. How do you good golfers even decide what club/swing to take at 60, 40, or 20 yards?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

daslog posted:

My league is slow as poo poo sometimes because it's a shotgun start and a couple holes start with A and B foursomes. At the horn, one group tees off and the other waits.

I've been reading some golf books, and they all say that golfers need to focus more on 120 yards and in. So I've been tracking that stuff, and I'm coming to the conclusion that my pitching game needs work. How do you good golfers even decide what club/swing to take at 60, 40, or 20 yards?

At least for me, anything inside 70ish yards is my 60 degree wedge. Distance control is all about feel at least for me. I know a full on perfect 100% swing will get me right around 75 yards or so and anything less than a full swing goes down from there. That touch takes practice practice practice. My 60 is also what I use on the fringe/right around the greens too. When I was younger all we had room for was short wedge shots in my backyard so I'd sit out there and just hit probably hundreds of chips a week and just developed a feel for distance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

So, I found this one NY Times article that's older than me:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/17/sports/sports-of-the-times-stop-golf-s-tattle-tales.html

Needless to say, the tattling because of something on TV that the officials missed is an oooooooooold problem.

whoa that's a great find

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I will echo that there's no magic bullet once you're too close for a full swing. It's all feel and the real artistry of the game makes itself known up close. Some people like to use one wedge for everything. I assume they deloft that wedge if they need to hit low. I like to get my ball rolling as soon as possible as I find it much easier to control distance that way and it helps to be aiming at a closer target (just on the green). If you're of that mind look into the rule of 12 and adjust from there. Neither method is really better and they both require a lot of practice to be effective. Biggest piece of advice I can give is go easy on yourself. It takes time to develop the necessary feel to be a decent at pitches/chips and even the pros make mistakes constantly.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

daslog posted:

I definitely just use my 60 degree wedge for anything under 115 or so. It takes a lot of practice to get that touch/feel down for half shots though. At this point I'm pretty comfortable in the 75-115 range, I try to stay away from the 40-75 yard range if I can manage though. I'm just not comfortable there. It took a lot of range balls to get comfortable though, I used to have a membership to a club with a nice range with greens and pins at multiple yardages, so I'd hit hundreds of range balls a night just with my lob wedge. It's a lot less fatiguing to hit half wedge shots than it is to hit driver, so I could do it for hours without getting worn out. Then you can experiment with lofting/de-lofting if necessary.

To some extent you can control that by club selection on the tee on par 4s and layups on par 5s, but ultimately you'll get into situations where you have a weird yardage.

Speaking of books, anyone have any good recommendations? Like non-instruction golf books? I highly recommend reading all three of the Mark Frost books, especially if you are at all interested in learning more about the old school greats(Hogan, Nelson, Jones, Hagen, etc.).

'The Match' is a pretty short book but it's absolutely fascinating and a great story of a best ball match between Ben Hogan/Byron Nelson and Harvie Ward/Ken Venturi, there's also some really cool continuity between 'The Greatest Game Ever Played' and 'The Match', Eddie Lowery(the ten year old caddy for Francis Ouimet) plays a key role. It will also really make you want to play Cypress Point(but you won't ever be able to).

The Grand Slam is also really great and drives home the point of how different golf was in that era. The whole dynamic between professional and amateur golfers at that point in time is really interesting. Also just putting yourself in their shoes, playing golf in the blazing hot summer down south, in a wool suit. Or traveling to England for The Open...by boat.

Basically, just read all three of those books if you like golf at all.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I also use my most lofted club (58*) for almost everything from 100 and in, but I'm working on adding one or two partial swings with my 50 and 54 that I can consistently hit a certain distance too.

Most of my league nights have been stupidly slow so far, it's pretty irritating. I enjoy golfing even when I'm playing terribly but when it takes 3 hours for nine holes I just want it to end by like the fifth hole. In another couple weeks it should stay light long enough that I can walk nine holes after the league which will be nice.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Your Byron Nelson winner, everybody.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Anybody have any experience with single-length irons?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Who?

I mean, I've not followed pro golf closely ever really, but what a tourney this guy had!

e. and now I read this about him and feel like an rear end in a top hat! Yay!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 24, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lincoln posted:

Anybody have any experience with single-length irons?

I hit them at a demo day, but I decided I liked the Ping G series irons better.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had a pretty good round for golf league on Tuesday. Ended up shooting 40, but it felt like a 37.

I was even through 5 holes, and the two par 5s are #7 and #9, so I was thinking about red numbers. Then went double, bogey, par, bogey. Including a bogey on the par 5 7th after being next to the green in two :suicide:. Then hit one OB off the tee on 9. God, could have been a stellar round.

I was playing against a scratch golfer who's league handicap is a 5(mine is 6) because he had a really bad first day this year. He shot 37 and I only lost by one hole, so I at least kept it close.

Pretty excited about the season though, my grip change is really helping my iron play(for the most part, it's not completely ingrained yet) and with a bit more time I think it will help my tee game too.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Been practicing my short game. For you golfers that shoot below 90, how often do you chip and then 2 putt?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Been practicing my short game. For you golfers that shoot below 90, how often do you chip and then 2 putt?

More often than I'd like. Chipping and pitching takes a LOT of work to not only find that just-right touch, but to also know how to read the green when you're off it. A good chip is an amazing weapon to have, but it definitely takes time to refine it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

daslog posted:

Tough question to answer without me logging my rounds anymore. Earlier this week I, got up and down 3 out of 5 times. A lot of this depends on your strategy/approach play. It's a lot easier to get up and down when you leave yourself in a decent spot. I've been trying harder to stay below the hole with my approach shots whenever possible, which helps a lot. Or shoot towards a fatter part of the green if the pin is tucked.

I'd say in reasonable situations I probably get up and down 30% of the time. Higher on my good day.s

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Tough question to answer without me logging my rounds anymore. Earlier this week I, got up and down 3 out of 5 times. A lot of this depends on your strategy/approach play. It's a lot easier to get up and down when you leave yourself in a decent spot. I've been trying harder to stay below the hole with my approach shots whenever possible, which helps a lot. Or shoot towards a fatter part of the green if the pin is tucked.

I'd say in reasonable situations I probably get up and down 30% of the time. Higher on my good day.s

These are good points as well. DOn't think about holing out on a chip, think about giving yourself a good first putt. Stay below the hole instead of above it, etc.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

daslog posted:

I average 60% scrambling, but I'll either be Seve or a dumpster fire. If my up/down game is on, I'll play aggressively, especially when it comes to par 5s.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Lesson tomorrow, got the clubs looking reasonably clean.

For those who would like to see an early 80s era vintage budget bag (driver excepted of course):

(That is a Northwestern putter fwiw)

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
It probably goes without saying, but if you are decent at your 3-8 foot putts then your ability to get up and down increases significantly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timecode on link. Just click and listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv1KZE65vk0&t=1594s

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

swearing on a golf course, now i've seen it all

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ironlung posted:

swearing on a golf course, now i've seen it all
In 2 years of NCAA coverage, this is my first time hearing swearing. And it's certainly more unexpected in a that voice.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
That's my girl right there. She could play with the old guys and me anytime.