Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Scripps driving folks away? Are we going to be listening to the entirely new independent show Comedy Death Bang in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

kdrudy posted:

Scripps driving folks away? Are we going to be listening to the entirely new independent show Comedy Death Bang in the future?

That sounds like what Jason would rename the show to

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Condolences to the Widow Kulap

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also the Widow Howl-app

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's been a lot of fun hearing all my favorite podcasters butcher crème fraîche this month. Blue Apron may want to provide a pronunciation guide with their ad reads.

Also the Canon ad at the end of the podcasts does not make me want to listen to the show.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
antimicrorbriral

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fezz posted:

Also the Canon ad at the end of the podcasts does not make me want to listen to the show.

I think it might be impossible to make a good ad for a podcast (even if the show is actually good)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it might be impossible to make a good ad for a podcast (even if the show is actually good)

i think spont and with special guest and bitch sesh have good ads but it does seem to be really hard to do right

i think probably because they don't give much of a poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tarranon posted:

i think spont and with special guest and bitch sesh have good ads but it does seem to be really hard to do right

i think probably because they don't give much of a poo poo.

I think you're just calling those good because you're used to ads. I appreciate the attempt at making the commercial funny or interesting, but at the end of the day they're just reading copy in a funny voice. I skip the ads, but if I could I'd pay for ad-free versions as long as it worked and isn't a lovely experience. I still pay for howl even though I don't use the app, I'd pay for an ad-free RSS if they had the option.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We're talking about ads for the podcasts themselves, not ads w/in the podcast for an external product. Completely different metrics.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
the hollywood handbook ad where they tell you how bad and lovely the thing you just listened to is a good representation of the feel of the show i think. all the other ones i've heard have just been out of context meaningless quotes that were probably funny on the show but are random nonsense in the ad.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Greggy posted:

the hollywood handbook ad where they tell you how bad and lovely the thing you just listened to is a good representation of the feel of the show i think. all the other ones i've heard have just been out of context meaningless quotes that were probably funny on the show but are random nonsense in the ad.

I liked when it came on after an HH episode, and I was like "this is weird meta-ad" because of how much they were beating themselves up over the past few weeks.

Then it donned on my that it's a coincidence :downsbravo:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Flaskraven posted:

In case you're wondering what artist they're talking about in the latest I4H.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154258777345796&id=73869905795

This makes Daly's Papa John Misty on CBB even funnier.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

What was Besser referencing when Brett replied "No comment"? Sklars leaving Earwolf? Auckerman? Besser getting a new show? Or did he leak something early and we don't know yet?

e: Reading that the Sklars have a new Feral show, so it's likely them.

Sklars said on today's Dumb People Town that Sklarbro Country is moving to Feral as well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Sklars said on today's Dumb People Town that Sklarbro Country is moving to Feral as well.

What's up with that? Seems like earwolf has had a lot of shows jump off the network (sklars, hooray show, Hannibal Burress podcast) recently.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I hadn't heard of Feral before, and it seems pretty cool. Seems like what Earwolf was intended to be/used to be. Like, I can't believe I just found out that there's a podcast hosted by Pete & Pete. I'd imagine there's a bit more freedom there since it seems like a good number of the shows are entirely creator produced.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

What's up with that? Seems like earwolf has had a lot of shows jump off the network (sklars, hooray show, Hannibal Burress podcast) recently.

"Recently" is a bit relative but yeah. I think part of it might be the Scripts move. The Sklars especially are a 'brand' and I think they'd want to protect it as much as they can.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Feral was started by Dustin Marshal, who was one of the first engineers at Earwolf. There was some drama that ended with Dustin leaving Earwolf with bad blood and starting up Feral on his own. Dan Harmon (Director of Community/Rick & Morty) ended up essentially self-funding Feral for a few years, but it seems like the company is doing alright now.

Feral has a lot in common with early Earwolf, but the shows tend to be a bit edgier and focus less on improv. There is a higher concentration of 'regular' writers, actors, and standup comedians on Feral versus Earwolf's near-exclusive focus on UCB-trained improvisers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tatumje posted:

Feral was started by Dustin Marshal, who was one of the first engineers at Earwolf. There was some drama that ended with Dustin leaving Earwolf with bad blood and starting up Feral on his own. Dan Harmon (Director of Community/Rick & Morty) ended up essentially self-funding Feral for a few years, but it seems like the company is doing alright now.

Feral has a lot in common with early Earwolf, but the shows tend to be a bit edgier and focus less on improv. There is a higher concentration of 'regular' writers, actors, and standup comedians on Feral versus Earwolf's near-exclusive focus on UCB-trained improvisers.

Can you elaborate on the leaving/bad blood? I know Dustin was heavily involved in Who Charted, and he and Howard Kremer are still cool and collaborate.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

piratepilates posted:

They have a crazy low amount of listeners despite being the first non-CBB Earwolf podcast and being more well known than a lot of fellow hosts... but honestly I think that has more to do with it being sports related. Even though you don't need to like sports to enjoy it. Probably just time for a change... and I bet the ad revenue split with Dustin is better than with the Scripps Co.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Can you elaborate on the leaving/bad blood? I know Dustin was heavily involved in Who Charted, and he and Howard Kremer are still cool and collaborate.

He didn't get on w/ Eric Ulrich and I think had the same objection to the standard contract Earwolf uses that Cyberthug had (whose actual name I forget). Namely that any characters created on the show were then owned by Earwolf. It's why their tagline as a studio is "Artist owned, listener supported".

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 16, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I don't recall many of the details and don't feel like researching, so take this all with a grain of salt:

Dustin was passed over for promotions and/or pay raises at Earwolf. He felt betrayed since he was an early member of the team but was treated like an expendable part-time worker. It's unclear if Earwolf actually treated him badly or if Dustin was imagining drama that wasn't actually there.

Dustin was stuck in the LA area with no money and ended up hustling like crazy to start Feral Audio. At some point, Dustin was the sole engineer/producer for about 20 weekly podcasts. He threw shade at Earwolf for years online and in random podcast appearances, but his emotions seem to have cleared up a bit now that Feral has stabilized.

As a side note, when Harmontown added a paid video subscription option, some members of the reddit community were disappointed with the new direction. If I remember correctly, Dustin individually replied to many of the commenters accusing them of being cheapskates. The dude always has a chip on his shoulder and constantly jokes about his depression, so I'm really not sure if the folks at Earwolf did anything wrong to begin with.

Edit: If you're interested is the reddit drama, here you go.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 16, 2017

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Cyberthug had (whose actual name I forget)
Jerry Minor! He's great and is an excellent recurring guest on The Hooray! Show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mr. Squishy posted:

He didn't get on w/ Eric Ulrich and I think had the same objection to the standard contract Earwolf uses that Cyberthug had (whose actual name I forget). Namely that any characters created on the show were then owned by Earwolf. It's why their tagline as a studio is "Artist owned, listener supported".

Isn't Artist Owned, Listener Supported the MaxFun tagline?

And yeah, I remember the Earwolf character thing being mentioned before, and that's why some shows either left or avoided them entirely. It's probably why Spont and I4H work so well on there, since nothing is a recurring character on those shows.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

gently caress, it might be. Why's that in my head, I don't listen to any Maxfun 'casts.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
here is Dustin talking in depth about starting feral audio: http://www.feralaudio.com/88-dustin-marshall-feral-audio/

i dont know anything else about that podcast, this is the only episode i've heard of it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ManoliIsFat posted:

Jerry Minor! He's great and is an excellent recurring guest on The Hooray! Show.

I loved thr episode of him and Horatio reminiscing about their boozing. The story where they threw beer bottles against the wall until they were in a foot of glass was great.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It's been years since I've listened to it but I thought cyber thug was hilarious.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I loved thr episode of him and Horatio reminiscing about their boozing. The story where they threw beer bottles against the wall until they were in a foot of glass was great.
Fyi, Horatio was on Fallon recently and Jimmy mentioned that he was on his podcast so it should be an amazing episode coming up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4yiLrIolQA

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Sean Clements is on the latest Who Charted! :stoked:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Is he that famous Mountain Goats fan?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This who charted format where they kick out the guest after half an hour and talk to brett for 45 minutes is really weird

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

First there was just Who Charted, then Earwolf decided they need MORE PODCASTS so they did Two Charted but since it'd be very hard to find 2 guests a week they just hung out w/ Brett, THEN Earwolf decided they had TOO MANY PODCASTS but I guess Howard still really liked just chilling w/ Brett so now they do this. But it's super strange.
e: is there a good archive of these video Whose Charted, I can only find 13 minutes of the Clements ep and it's super juddery.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 17, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like it a lot, actually

evale
Dec 20, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

I still pay for howl even though I don't use the app, I'd pay for an ad-free RSS if they had the option.

https://redd.it/408x5z

Haven't tried it out - but seems to be working for everyone there.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

evale posted:

https://redd.it/408x5z

Haven't tried it out - but seems to be working for everyone there.

I do use that, I just wish there was an official option. Especially since presumably howl is being depreciated entirely and moving to stitcher.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dustin's pitch for Feral was artists make 85+% of the money, the rest goes to production costs. Haven't heard any complaints from Feral-ites, or people going to the Earwolf camp from there.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

You know who I have heard complain whenever I stumble onto his twitter feed? Dustin. About money and the constant lack of it and why won't his listeners sign up for a free trial of Blue Apron. Which isn't a knock on him. He seems like a good dude. Obviously very passionate about podcasts. But it's never not going to be hard running a business while staying true to an Artists First ethos.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You know who I have heard complain whenever I stumble onto his twitter feed? Dustin. About money and the constant lack of it and why won't his listeners sign up for a free trial of Blue Apron. Which isn't a knock on him. He seems like a good dude. Obviously very passionate about podcasts. But it's never not going to be hard running a business while staying true to an Artists First ethos.

In the end it should be pretty simple. Production costs should be fixed and foreseeable and really not that high. The draw for artists was, at least originally, was exposure. The headaches come in expansion and it seems like there's little reward there. Now we gotta hire an ad person and a photographer (which is the worst place to spend money on) and a receptionist and whatever and it never seems to make much sense. To me at least. I mean, I suppose Earwolf is in a better place and everything but as a user I can't say I feel like it's changed at all for the better. I'm not saying that the artists shouldn't get something out of it. They totally should but I can't see podcasts as being a real profitable enterprise. The beauty in podcasts is the ease and simplicity and economy with which they can be created. They are a symbiotic entity. It's busking.

I don't know what I mean by all that. Kinda drunk and ranting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Don't know if he ever mentioned it before, but the Doughboys revealed that Jon Gabrus and Adam Richman were the two finalists to host Man Vs Food a decade ago. That would've ruled.

Gabrus also was recently profiled by the LA Times http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-jon-gabrus-comedian-20170426-story.html