Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solarin posted:

maybe a MIS degree would be good and potentially useful career wise

ya I can see that, it's cart before the horse tho. One step at a time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Math is one of the liberal arts.

??? and?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Coolguye posted:

i lol half the time i'm hiring a programmer and see a b.s. too, honestly. nobody's a proven programmer until i see their github or bitbucket, and preferably also a stack overflow profile.

i'll still value a b.s. programmer over a cert programmer tho since cert programmers won't take instruction to save their lives. b.s. programmers are inherently a little more pliable due to having to bend with the wind at college.

:agreed:

I had to drop out of CS school because I was getting too much paid work as a developer even in my tiny southern college town. the money was too good and it didn't make sense to keep paying for school at the time. Worked out v. well and now I live in LA making bank building apps for startups

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I love nothing more on the planet earth than to watch CHUD's wade into some absolutely indefensible position and then get really mad when they realize they don't actually have Orange Daddy's magical defensive mix of lack of self awareness, no decency and the brain holes that let him not worry about what any of it means.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harlock posted:

The first tl;cr president

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Photo of the Day: 5/16/17 by The White House, on Flickr
Secretary Tillerson Meets With UAE Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed in McLean by U.S. Department of State, on Flickr
170515-D-GO396-310 by Jim Mattis, on Flickr

good times all around :3

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

probably ACORN tobh

which was in no way a scandal lol

oh well.
https://twitter.com/greggrulz/status/864462452196560896

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nichael posted:

also, can someone please ask Donny if we've ever made first contact with aliens? because this really is the perfect time to find out

"You guys think this is a leak? I don't leak, I would never leak anything. It was very strategic. We're the best at strategy. It's really, well, my friend K'o'r'nax from the Andromeda region would call it a 4th dimensional move, because he can perceive it you see. Great guy... well I say guy, really more of a sentient gas."

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

"Nothing matters"

- President Donald J Trump

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

mass effect 2 was the best game of all time

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Math is one of the liberal arts.

real math and real cs are deeply related in a way that intro classes and shallow stem initiatives never reveal lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

trump is a Muslim now

Donald has a secret plan to destroy isis, the plan is to become the caliph.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

you don't need a degree in anything but it can really help! i don't know what your deal is but it's okay to get a humanities degree, bro!

they open no doors and are a waste of time and money, that's my problem with them. if you want to get a humanities degree ON TOP OF something else that will allow you to efficiently exploit a good niche like tech writing, then fine, that's one hundred percent understandable. or if you already have a viable career that leaves you with copious free time to do something you want to do, again, one hundred percent awesome. hell, my own background is BS in CS and AA in creative writing - why, because i like writing and also gently caress you i can.

but if you're doing this poo poo for work do something that'll result in you working less for more money in 5 years, jeez

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

shovelbum posted:

real math and real cs are deeply related in a way that intro classes and shallow stem initiatives never reveal lol

your av makes me think i'm reading an EHF post but ur posting voice is completely different and it's messing with my brain!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That DICK! posted:

ahem, dragon age 2 would like a word

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

hmmm maybe there was another reason why Newsom cheated on her, aside from liquor and cocaine

being a dumb right wing piss drinker might be it lmbo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Agean90 posted:

liberal art degrees neber make money!!! *ignores marketing/adverising*

have you considered the neoliberal arts

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I'm going to miss Spicy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
or a dehumanities degree

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Nichael posted:

also, can someone please ask Donny if we've ever made first contact with aliens? because this really is the perfect time to find out

What if the "illegal aliens" he is talking about getting out of the country are in fact, extraterrestrial refugees that crash landed in Mexico and just happen to prefer American culture. He's been briefed on how they were integrated into our society to look like humans and they're everywhere. He just assumes we all already know this. Salt-water is extremely toxic to their species, so they tend to live in big cities which serve at their sanctuary. And in fact, a giant loving wall would be a great way to stop them from coming in from Mexico. :tinfoil:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

Mass Effect 3 was better if you just ignore that last 5 minutes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

tacodaemon posted:

heh that's actually why im glad im not a programmer these days, they arent allowed to leave work at the office anymore but have to be doing 24/7 unpaid computer nerdery to impress future employers with

loving lol if you think 99% of the code on github/bitbucket and the questions on SO aren't stolen directly from work

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Coolguye posted:

they open no doors and are a waste of time and money, that's my problem with them.

god drat, how many people are going to post about higher ed as if they know what they are talking about while not knowing what they are talking about today?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fidel Castronaut posted:

your av makes me think i'm reading an EHF post but ur posting voice is completely different and it's messing with my brain!

the best part is my posting voice is hilariously inconsistent as i try to repress all my sincere opinions in order to poo poo post w a greater efficacy

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

*hangs a giant TRUMP sign on the Kaaba*

"Hey, you guys are alright. Love the style here. Got my own personal Mecca back home down in Florida, it's great, you should visit sometime. I mean it! I love you guys, especially that one right there. Saw him show up early to beat the rush while those speakers were going. No background checks for anyone that drives a car like that. Good people. America loves you!"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ShutteredIn posted:

trump is a Muslim now

When he finds out all sins are forgiven on conversion and all he has to do is keep going on Hajj after that, he's gonna be bigly interested.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I'm going to miss Spicy.

wendys knew

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

have you considered the neoliberal arts

i find economics boring sorry

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

yeah this isn't accurate.

i have several acquaintances in quality with rando liberal arts degrees that got started because of a break who are in mid six figure territory rn

which brings us to the real truth; class mobility is largely a myth and where you go in the social order is largely dependent upon who you or your family knows and where you started in life.

if you are born in the poo poo, you will likely remain there. most class mobility is downward and significant upward mobility is rather uncommon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the key to poo poo posting is sincerity

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

shovelbum posted:

and in ways that don't matter in 99% of tech jobs, which is the only reason most people bother studying CS

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://twitter.com/Alankota/status/864551546285162496

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

When he finds out all sins are forgiven on conversion and all he has to do is keep going on Hajj after that, he's gonna be bigly interested.

the saudis are throwing him the biggest party in history, I think hes definitely gonna have a good feeling in his presidential tummy about it all.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I'm going to miss Spicy.

i shan't, personally

gently caress 'em

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Does Spicey get fired before or after Donnie's trip

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fullhouse posted:

and in ways that don't matter in 99% of tech jobs, which is the only reason most people bother studying CS

what is it they say, all the real tools were built by a bunch of stoners in the 70s and we today r just pipe fitting w their toolkit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shovelbum posted:

the best part is my posting voice is hilariously inconsistent as i try to repress all my sincere opinions in order to poo poo post w a greater efficacy

Gotta work on your posting brand my man

Your AV alone won't differentiate you in CSPAM. Ur welcome :smaug:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TildeATH posted:

kaaba pic except instead of lovely saudi towers its trump hotels

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sarah huckabee sanders reminds me of when Wendy's tried to be authentic by putting the Real Wendy in the commercials but everyone hated knowing that Wendy was old and fat so they replaced her with a Hot Redhead Flo-bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

which brings us to the real truth; class mobility is largely a myth and where you go in the social order is largely dependent upon who you or your family knows and where you started in life.

if you are born in the poo poo, you will likely remain there. most class mobility is downward and significant upward mobility is rather uncommon

correct

class is not exclusively defined by income and the other markers can be real hard to obtain

• Locked thread