Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really hope they return to the Dawn of War 2 style spectator screen where you can see every player's units rather than switching from one player's screen to another. It makes following Indrid's casts less of a headache.

I'd like that but its kind of untenable given the size of the unit card, hell the dow2 one was too small a lot of the time once it reached end game.

E: unless you had it be unit type x# and sacrificed the health and info like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
The Eldar missions in campaign mode are an absolute chore to complete. Honestly, i installed the UA mod for soulstorm and am having much more fun overall than dow3. Maybe the expansions will save this.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I'm having a lot of fun the more I play with this, I just hate how the heroes are gated as I like to play all 3 armies.

What doctrines are people running for a scouts and rear end marine start?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
rear end marines :grin:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I'm having a lot of fun the more I play with this, I just hate how the heroes are gated as I like to play all 3 armies.

What doctrines are people running for a scouts and rear end marine start?

Scout strike/jonah grenades/assault charge I would presume.

Scout strike to overcome scouts terrible dps, silence grenades to keep your asm from getting taunted and killed, assault charge because its gently caress busted.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Tried a few matches online. My god it is chaos. I have barely a clue what to do when because there are gits dying, rokkits blowing up and a gretchin screamin in my ear that they are beating my waagh towers into scrap

Help

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GyverMac posted:

Tried a few matches online. My god it is chaos. I have barely a clue what to do when because there are gits dying, rokkits blowing up and a gretchin screamin in my ear that they are beating my waagh towers into scrap

Help

Build 3 boyz, send your first grots to build a waagh tower about a 1/3-2/5ths of the way into the map, you'll have the power by the time they get there, once towers constructed and the 3 are in range start channeling waaagh and at 6 seconds to go channel the boyz shout, the second it finishes run them at the contested point and put each of them on a different enemy squad, win the first encounter in pretty much every situation.

Build a boyz hut, get some shootas and give them the first bit of scrap from your tower because their grenades are extremely powerful when thrown at stuff your boyz are tying up.

Beyond that, more shoota boyz is always a good idea and scrap upgrades for all your units are vital, keep building towers further and further into the map, if you have gorgutz then abuse the poo poo out of the free reinforce from waaagh once hes deployed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

rocket_man38 posted:

The Eldar missions in campaign mode are an absolute chore to complete. Honestly, i installed the UA mod for soulstorm and am having much more fun overall than dow3. Maybe the expansions will save this.

The mission where you have to teleport your buildings every 20 minutes is the worst, it took me like an hour and a half to finish it. It's not even that hard, save for the time it bugged and said my HQ got blown up when it was completely safe, it's just never ending.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Artum posted:

Build 3 boyz, send your first grots to build a waagh tower about a 1/3-2/5ths of the way into the map, you'll have the power by the time they get there, once towers constructed and the 3 are in range start channeling waaagh and at 6 seconds to go channel the boyz shout, the second it finishes run them at the contested point and put each of them on a different enemy squad, win the first encounter in pretty much every situation.

Build a boyz hut, get some shootas and give them the first bit of scrap from your tower because their grenades are extremely powerful when thrown at stuff your boyz are tying up.

Beyond that, more shoota boyz is always a good idea and scrap upgrades for all your units are vital, keep building towers further and further into the map, if you have gorgutz then abuse the poo poo out of the free reinforce from waaagh once hes deployed.

Yeah actually that is basically what I've been doing. I creep over the map and won my first two multiplayer rounds, but that was against players that really didn't know what they were doing. My problem is just that i feel the micro in this game is very hard. I mean every unit has one or more abilities and hard counters, and things go so fast in this game, and when the big fights are on, its really hard to respond to visual cues about enemy abilities being used. I had like 245 unit lost on my last 3v3 round, everybody else had like 170 at most. Still won though. I guess the micro aspect is something that will get better with time.

SRM posted:

The mission where you have to teleport your buildings every 20 minutes is the worst, it took me like an hour and a half to finish it. It's not even that hard, save for the time it bugged and said my HQ got blown up when it was completely safe, it's just never ending.

Ugh just finished that mission. What a slog. It didn't help that halfway through, the webway connections thing bugged out and didn't allow me to teleport units anymore. So for every time I had to send my base to a new island, my army couldn't follow, and i had to rebuild from scratch.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 14, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GyverMac posted:

I had like 245 unit lost on my last 3v3 round, everybody else had like 170 at most.

Thats literally orks.txt.

I've absolutely crushed the other team and been 180-400, they just have a lot of bodies to throw.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GyverMac posted:

Ugh just finished that mission. What a slog. It didn't help that halfway through, the webway connections thing bugged out and didn't allow me to teleport units anymore. So for every time I had to send my base to a new island, my army couldn't follow, and i had to rebuild from scratch.

I teleported my whole base and as I was frantically clicking around trying to get my army over to a gate they all died, and let me tell you, an entire Eldar army all dying in an instant, hearing dozens of their haughty voices crying out at once, was hilarious.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

SRM posted:

I teleported my whole base and as I was frantically clicking around trying to get my army over to a gate they all died, and let me tell you, an entire Eldar army all dying in an instant, hearing dozens of their haughty voices crying out at once, was hilarious.

Slaneesh parachute account spotted

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Despite serious hesitation I went ahead and go this, because a friend has been hunkering for a 2v2 RTS.

Is singleplayer really the best way to unlock/level up or can I get away with just doing it in multiplayer? I play RTS 100% for the multiplayer, and haven't even opened an RTS campaign since Warcraft III.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
You can probably unlock a doctrine every two games and an elite every....5 games or so if you get the bonus from leveling up elite in MP match. Playing SP also levels up your elite for free so by the time you start playing MP you'll have more doctrine options.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Buddy told me about some auto-farm maps that basically have 3 AI vs 1 player and the 3 AI bases are so small that they can only build tier 1 units. The up-shot is that you can park your elites near their bases and go get the tires changed on your car and come back to all the exp you'll need.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Huh, credit where credits due, begrudgingly stayed in a 3v3 comp stomp online and actually forgot it was cpu during the game.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Finished a campaign mission wich gave me zero elite xp? Also that happened in a multiplayer match today. What gives?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

GyverMac posted:

Finished a campaign mission wich gave me zero elite xp? Also that happened in a multiplayer match today. What gives?

I periodically had it bug and show no elite XP but still got the level up rewards, not sure if that is the same thing you had.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Where can I remap hotkeys and such?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have zero interest in multiplayer skirmish mode.Is the campaign any good?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Probably not $60 good.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

It's fun and reasonably long and the first time a dow campaigns felt decently challenging without resorting to cheap one shots like dow2 bosses. But yeah probably not 60 dollars.

After all the guff about it the voice acting actually turned out amazing, especially with the Orks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Megasabin posted:

Where can I remap hotkeys and such?

you can not

why i dunno

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Let's talk Space Marines.

1. What are good starting build orders?

2. Which Elites/Army Doctines do you guys run? In 1v1 at least going for the 10+ point elite seems pointless. I'm guessing it's more beneficial to have multiple lower cost elites running around?

3. Which units/vehicles are useless so I know never to build them?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 16, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Megasabin posted:

2. Which Elites/Army Doctines do you guys run? In 1v1 at least going for the 10+ point elite seems pointless. I'm guessing it's more beneficial to have multiple lower cost elites running around?

Jonah is kinda not worth it as a 3 point elite right now, Las cannons are absolutely worthless as anti vehicle since it takes 4-5 squads of them to actually kill something but it takes about 6 seconds before they actually start doing damage, but by the time you can afford to be dumping 2k req on anti vehicle you've got much better options for heavy armor in predators dreads and assault marines. Tactical marines will kill the enemy frighteningly quickly once you've given them weapon upgrades but they're kinda bad until then.

Always start with a barracks, the doctrine chapel only gets you heavy bolters and they're far too easy to counter until you can run a decently mixed army, you're fine to just run any tactical marines you need from base until you get set up.

The paladin isnt quite as killy as solaria but makes a fantastic line breaker because of his ion shield and he's not countered by any single melee unit, start him walking at a turret in melee stance and turn on the shield and he'll solo it no trouble and you can field him 2 minutes faster.

For specific 1v1 build orders I can't really say because marines early game is a load of poo poo right now and most people just go for assault marines teching to power swords as fast as possible, but this'll hopefully change in a week or two when the first balance patch hits and people have started to get wise to it. servitor-tacticals-barracks-assault marines in pod-scouts while asm build generally is a strong start though. getting a second assault squad, 1-3 more tactical squads and then getting a doctrine chapel for some heavy bolters, keep the scouts from the start alive and make sure to scout out any fights you want to pick.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Artum posted:

Jonah is kinda not worth it as a 3 point elite right now, Las cannons are absolutely worthless as anti vehicle since it takes 4-5 squads of them to actually kill something but it takes about 6 seconds before they actually start doing damage, but by the time you can afford to be dumping 2k req on anti vehicle you've got much better options for heavy armor in predators dreads and assault marines. Tactical marines will kill the enemy frighteningly quickly once you've given them weapon upgrades but they're kinda bad until then.

Always start with a barracks, the doctrine chapel only gets you heavy bolters and they're far too easy to counter until you can run a decently mixed army, you're fine to just run any tactical marines you need from base until you get set up.

The paladin isnt quite as killy as solaria but makes a fantastic line breaker because of his ion shield and he's not countered by any single melee unit, start him walking at a turret in melee stance and turn on the shield and he'll solo it no trouble and you can field him 2 minutes faster.

For specific 1v1 build orders I can't really say because marines early game is a load of poo poo right now and most people just go for assault marines teching to power swords as fast as possible, but this'll hopefully change in a week or two when the first balance patch hits and people have started to get wise to it. servitor-tacticals-barracks-assault marines in pod-scouts while asm build generally is a strong start though. getting a second assault squad, 1-3 more tactical squads and then getting a doctrine chapel for some heavy bolters, keep the scouts from the start alive and make sure to scout out any fights you want to pick.

This is helpful.

What about general strategy for listening posts early game? Throw them on everything or be selective? Build them closer to the front line or build them on your backlines for reliable extra income? Do you prioritize the electricity or requisition upgrades?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 16, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

It's fun and reasonably long and the first time a dow campaigns felt decently challenging without resorting to cheap one shots like dow2 bosses. But yeah probably not 60 dollars.

After all the guff about it the voice acting actually turned out amazing, especially with the Orks.

I don't love the Eldar missions but I've liked the Marine ones and the Ork ones have mostly been a lot of fun. My favorite missions are the ones where you can get away with just using the Elite units and they're a lot more fun and less cluttered; it kinda felt like DoW2 meets Warcraft 3 for those, and I liked them a lot.

The voice acting is different but it's just as good as any other DoW game's. The Ork voice actors are having so much fun.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SRM posted:

I don't love the Eldar missions but I've liked the Marine ones and the Ork ones have mostly been a lot of fun. My favorite missions are the ones where you can get away with just using the Elite units and they're a lot more fun and less cluttered; it kinda felt like DoW2 meets Warcraft 3 for those, and I liked them a lot.

The voice acting is different but it's just as good as any other DoW game's. The Ork voice actors are having so much fun.

The giant fuckoff cannon that shoots fireworks and shouts insults is still the best part of the campaign, and the most orky thing ever.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Megasabin posted:

This is helpful.

What about general strategy for listening posts early game? Throw them on everything or be selective? Build them closer to the front line or build them on your backlines for reliable extra income? Do you prioritize the electricity or requisition upgrades?
Listening posts don't have an economic benefit in this one they're purely for if a points going to be attacked, they're great if you're trying to hold onto a contested point early on, you only need them on rear points if you're fighting a particularly savvy opponent and you should eventually aim to have them everywhere eventually. I generally prioritise req generators because they pay for most things, including power generators, but you still need to be buying power when you can afford it early on since it lets you get those oh-so-sweet weapons and generalised infantry researches that will seriously swing the fight in your favour and to fill out all your capped req points.
In 1v1 NEVER buy the point output increases unless the games gotten into phase III and IV, they take like 8 minutes to pay for themselves early on, in team games don't buy them before minute 9 just before it ticks into phase II and prioritise them on the points with 3 nodes preferably the 2 power 1 req ones.

The only structures you should be intentionally building inside of your teams turrets are your arsenal, everything else needs to be like 1/3 to 1/2 way into the map so you have something to retreat and rearm at and so that in the event that you do catastrophically lose the enemy team will take that much longer to kill your shield generator.

Once you have a machine cult up if you want to ruin someones day build a land speeder, give it a multi melta and send it at one of their backline points, it'll if its unguarded it'll solo the listening post and all the nodes there.

SRM posted:

The eldar missions are definitely the weaker ones sadly.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Megasabin posted:

This is helpful.

If you have the reinforcement near listening post doctrine it's pretty nice to rush a forward point and post it. You pretty much can't be stopped if you're near it . It leaves your back generators a bit more open if your opponent decides to push that far back though. Pushing real far early is dangerous enough as it is since it's so hard to actually fully retreat so I don't see it often (And I don't do it often). Some units and Doctrines are made to do this though, Assault Marines, Invisible Dire Avengers, etc so it's still possible.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well I've put a good 5 hours into the multiplayer, and while that makes me far from experienced, it's enough time to see why this game bombed hard.

There are just so many poor design decisions. Why can't I remap hotkeys? Why are crucial units/abilities/passives in a competitive multiplayer RTS double gated behind an XP and Skull cost requirement? Why do I not get either if I decide to concede a match that's clearly over and dragging?

It's a shame, because the core gameplay is pretty decent, and probably the best we will get from an RTS in 2017, but its 2 weeks post launch, and it takes me 3+ minutes to find a match, and I'm being matched against people who Level 8+ army doctrines as a new player. At this rate the community is going to be non-existant by the end of the month.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I thought they added surrendering as an option so you still got skulls or something.

This game is doing much better than almost all other RTS's I've seen released in the last few years in terms of playerbase. It's mostly because of the Relic and War40k brand but at least it's enough so it doesn't die in a month. Christ it has more current players right now 2 weeks from release than Grey Goo had at their peak. And Grey Goo was a fantastic game

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I thought they added surrendering as an option so you still got skulls or something.

This game is doing much better than almost all other RTS's I've seen released in the last few years in terms of playerbase. It's mostly because of the Relic and War40k brand but at least it's enough so it doesn't die in a month. Christ it has more current players right now 2 weeks from release than Grey Goo had at their peak. And Grey Goo was a fantastic game

RIP Grey Goo. It just didn't have any real advertising or exposure.

I haven't looked up the actual playercounts for this, but I'm having a hell of a time getting decent matches as a new player.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Megasabin posted:

RIP Grey Goo. It just didn't have any real advertising or exposure.

I haven't looked up the actual playercounts for this, but I'm having a hell of a time getting decent matches as a new player.

Quick match or custom? Ever since the beta its been way easier to get a match in custom as it hit that spiral of people weren't queuing so it took longer to get a game, so people weren't queuing, that'll probably change when they implenent the ladder in the next patch.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Artum posted:

Yeah, this game has the novelty of being a legitimately hard RTS campaign, even on some of the levels where you have time to build up as much as you want. That said, it's definitely more like Retribution's traditional RTS campaign than the vanilla DoWII/Chaos Rising pseudo-RPG campaign.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Megasabin posted:

1. For 1v1 I typically go something like:

Initial servitor builds Barracks
Servitor
Servitor
Assault Marine (in pod)
Assault Marine (normally)
Scouts

And then proceed based on situational factors. Getting a quick Armory and prioritizing the Power Sword upgrade allows your Assault Marines to kill objectives really fast, sometimes letting you take a shield gen very early..

2. In 1v1 I like Deathwatch, Gabe or Diomedes, and then Venerable Dreadnought. I use the default Doctrines with all of those heroes except the Venerable Dreadnought, where Assault Leap is too good to pass up. In general the defaults are usually better than the command doctrines, but because the command doctrines don't rely on your Elite actually being on field, they can be higher impact on Elites that you aren't likely to deploy very quickly.

For my three flexible Doctrine slots, I like Improved Listening Posts, Tip of the Spear, and the one that makes your Banner recharge quicker. Tip of the Spear in particular means you don't have to build your production buildings way up front in order to reinforce on field, which can be very helpful when you want to get a very fast Barracks as I've been doing.

3. Tactical Marines without weapon upgrades are the only really weak unit IMO, and the upgrades are expensive enough in power that I just skip Tacticals completely. Aside from that, every unit seems solid, though Lascannon Devastators are not usually relevant until late game armor wars.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Fetterkey posted:

1. For 1v1 I typically go something like:

Initial servitor builds Barracks
Servitor
Servitor
Assault Marine (in pod)
Assault Marine (normally)
Scouts

And then proceed based on situational factors. Getting a quick Armory and prioritizing the Power Sword upgrade allows your Assault Marines to kill objectives really fast, sometimes letting you take a shield gen very early..

2. In 1v1 I like Deathwatch, Gabe or Diomedes, and then Venerable Dreadnought. I use the default Doctrines with all of those heroes except the Venerable Dreadnought, where Assault Leap is too good to pass up. In general the defaults are usually better than the command doctrines, but because the command doctrines don't rely on your Elite actually being on field, they can be higher impact on Elites that you aren't likely to deploy very quickly.

For my three flexible Doctrine slots, I like Improved Listening Posts, Tip of the Spear, and the one that makes your Banner recharge quicker. Tip of the Spear in particular means you don't have to build your production buildings way up front in order to reinforce on field, which can be very helpful when you want to get a very fast Barracks as I've been doing.

3. Tactical Marines without weapon upgrades are the only really weak unit IMO, and the upgrades are expensive enough in power that I just skip Tacticals completely. Aside from that, every unit seems solid, though Lascannon Devastators are not usually relevant until late game armor wars.

Cool. Couple of questions:

1. Why 3 servitors? Are you just running around being a pain in the rear end with them?

2. This question is gonna betray my ignorance as a very new player who didn't play the campaign. How do I build something in a pod? Does that let me get it out faster?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Megasabin posted:

1. Why 3 servitors? Are you just running around being a pain in the rear end with them?

2. This question is gonna betray my ignorance as a very new player who didn't play the campaign. How do I build something in a pod? Does that let me get it out faster?

Either use the hotkeys JKL or click on the icon above the command menu, lets you build something and hold it in reserve until you drop it on someone and they get temporary shield health on top of massively disrupting who you drop it on. Assault marines or Dreads are generally the most useful, predators are great for surprising people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been playing retributions campaign again and I love the IG Invulnerable melta spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Servitors move faster than normal units, so I use them for early capping. I then put them in smoke near relevant places in order to provide some vision and detection, and when there's a lull or I have a strong local advantage I use them to consolidate my position by building listening posts.

Megasabin posted:

Above your unit tray, there should be three pod slots and your banner. Only one pod will be open at first (the others unlock at tier 2 and 3), but if you click on the pod or press its hotkey (J/K/L) you can prepare a unit for drop. This takes longer than training the unit normally, but it lets you drop it onto the field anywhere within line of sight, the unit comes out of the pod with a few hundred HP of temporary shields, and the pod itself knocks down nearby enemies when it lands.

The banner can also be dropped onto the field anywhere within line of sight; it shoots out a shockwave that knocks down nearby enemies while speed boosting your units, then provides other benefits based on your tier to nearby units.

• Locked thread