Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Probably a composting toilet, so not even any water to hide the smell.
I enjoy reading and watching videos about tiny dwellings for the engineering aspect, but gently caress if I'd ever want to live in one long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Square Peg posted:

Probably a composting toilet, so not even any water to hide the smell.
I enjoy reading and watching videos about tiny dwellings for the engineering aspect, but gently caress if I'd ever want to live in one long term.

I think the general idea that our living spaces are way too big in NA is fine. I generally agree with that.

But to me a small space means living in a 600 sq ft apartment or something, not a small bedroom with a toilet and a stove in it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jordan7hm posted:

I think the general idea that our living spaces are way too big in NA is fine. I generally agree with that.

But to me a small space means living in a 600 sq ft apartment or something, not a small bedroom with a toilet and a stove in it.

I went to look at a bachelor apartment in Hamilton on Tuesday. That's basically what it was for about $750. It was basically solitary dorm room with a stove and fridge. Couldn't have been more than 200 sq ft.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The whole tiny house movement and micro-condos is entirely capital and useful idiots priming us to accept when they force us to live like this. It's not class war, it's sustainability and like totally accepting that you can do less with more man. Let go of the physical and find happiness from within. Let go of your consumer additions to things like "basic living space", let go of your entitlement to healthcare or education or meaningful employment. Let go, find your inner zen man. I mean pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

It's more communal and social! Shared bathrooms and kitchens are good for you and we all need to do it to save the earth.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
It's something perpetuated by boomer journalists that need fluff pieces and don't care about the underlying economics behind living space. Just hey, look at these crazy young people living in boxes, isn't that something! print it on sunday. I got three years left until retirement.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

millennial burning man types are just eating it up. With tiny homes and #vanlife, it's like you're camping out every night!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

RBC posted:

It's something perpetuated by boomer journalists that need fluff pieces and don't care about the underlying economics behind living space. Just hey, look at these crazy young people living in boxes, isn't that something! print it on sunday. I got three years left until retirement.

When I was planning on loving off up north onto a piece of land and building a small place to live in, it was precisely because owning a house and living the "normal" life as advertised when I was growing up was already out of reach for a working class cripple like me. Less than a decade later, and I've all but given up any hope of that life and am doubling down on the bottom apartment in my parents' house because I've accepted I'll likely never leave. There are people with degrees and training and their health at 100% that are in the same spot in their lives. I can't wait for the TV shows based around remodeling basements on a budget of whatever you can find on the curbs of well to do suburbs

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

The whole tiny house movement and micro-condos is entirely capital and useful idiots priming us to accept when they force us to live like this. It's not class war, it's sustainability and like totally accepting that you can do less with more man. Let go of the physical and find happiness from within. Let go of your consumer additions to things like "basic living space", let go of your entitlement to healthcare or education or meaningful employment. Let go, find your inner zen man. I mean pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

The Butcher posted:

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world.

The first sentence *says* 'nihilistic' but the second sentence is a pretty good summary of medieval Catholicism.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Star always finds the best housing stories:

quote:

An upscale family home in North York was turned into an illegal rooming house and crammed with as many as a dozen international students without the owner’s knowledge, a Star investigation has found.

The man who ran the house is Michael Ryan, who represented himself as the homeowner but is not the rightful tenant. He informally sublet the property from an ex-girlfriend, who is the only occupant listed on the lease but hasn’t lived at the house in more than a year.

“These people have taken our family home and used it illegally for their own profit to take advantage of us and the students,” said Douglas Melville, who owns the six-bedroom house with his wife, Gailina Liew. The couple bought the property in 2014, but two years ago moved to the Channel Islands, where Melville was hired as the financial ombudsman for the British archipelago.

The house is on Elmwood Ave., a leafy side street just north of Bayview and Sheppard Aves. It is approximately 4,500 square feet and includes “soaring” 18-foot ceilings, a winding staircase and three fireplaces, according to an online rental listing.

Melville and Liew purchased it in 2014 for $1,549,000.

Before they left Toronto, Melville, the former chief executive of Canada’s Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments, found a single tenant and employed a property management company to collect the rent and maintain the house, where he and his family intended to live again in the future.

Rents in the house ranged from $450 for a shared bedroom to $800 for a private room, according to the former tenants who spoke to the Star, as well as advertisements posted on a Korean website. At times 12 tenants shared the same kitchen, while as many as six shared a washroom, according to former tenants. Ryan lived in the basement.

The monthly rent paid to the homeowners was $4,300, so based on advertised rents and what tenants said Ryan charged, he could have collected about $2,500 on top of what he paid the property managers.

Ryan, who said he has been stressed out since being contacted by the Star and recently developed shingles, said that while he may not have followed all the appropriate landlord-and-tenant rules, he never missed a monthly rent payment and did not damage the house.

“The homeowner has not been hurt in any way, shape or form,” he said. “We don’t miss payments. The house is pristine. We’re perfect tenants.”

Ryan said he provided a full suite of services to international students, including language tutoring, nutrition advice, fitness training and counselling. He is not formally trained in any of those areas.

“This whole thing that I do is supposed to be helping students.”

The tenants who spoke to the Star say they simply rented a room and did not receive any other services from Ryan.

Ryan said the majority of the students he hosted had positive experiences at the house. The Star asked more than two weeks ago if he could provide contact information to any of those tenants; he declined. The Star also asked Ryan to encourage former tenants with positive experiences to contact the Star themselves. None did.

Just :lol: at everything here, except for the poor ripped off students. I lived around Bayview Village for a long time and much of the rental stock in the area has been filled up with international students, especially from South Korean and Brazil. And it makes sense - why rent out a 3 bedroom apartment/townhouse/bungalow for what used to be $1,500/month when you can rent a single room out for $800+? Plus it's a windfall for what are likely mediocre English academies and third-rate schools/colleges.

Also I was going to judge the owner for possibly being a parasitic waste of humanity working in a notorious tax haven but it seems like he is an ombudsman for complaints about financial services in said tax havens, although hardly any of them actually seem to get resolved by the office. So fine, I'll reserve some pity for the millionaire whose family home mansion that they only lived in for about a year was turned into an illegal flophouse despite an ironclad lease and what would appear to be zero inspections of the premises in over a year.

One last point:

quote:

Licensed rooming houses are an important part of the city’s affordable housing stock, said Mark Sraga, director of investigations for the city’s licensing department. But illegal rooming houses can pose problems for fire safety, parking and noise, not to mention potential damage to the property itself, he said.

“We can’t ignore the fact that these types of housing forms are necessary and they exist. We just have to make sure they’re in the right places and they’re not having a negative effect on their neighbours.”

I can't tell if it's a good thing or terrifying that a city licensing director acknowledges that illegal rooming houses are necessary.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 13, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 11, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
"Shared bedroom" :wtc:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
What the hell is it with international students and sleeping ten to a room? We get it here in Australia too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not all international students are kids of chinese millionaires. In a lot of places where they come from, packing a pile of people in a room is normal.

A lot of south koreans are middle class, supported by their parents and "studying english" doing whatever they can to not have to go through the mandatory military service in Korea that only pays like $100 a month.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Easy to exploit people not familiar with norms, regulations, culture and language.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've seen shared rooms here where there are as many as 4 people in a room (which is illegal, fire code says 2 max). I saw one person advertising a studio with 4 beds for $1000/month/bed. I don't know if they ever actually managed to get tenants at that rate, but I wouldn't even be surprised if they did.

People also stop giving as much of a poo poo when their other options are homelessness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mashed_penguin posted:

Nothing better than cooking dinner in the room and having your spouses shitfume smell mingle with your food.

Pls don't kinkshame.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

The NDP in Nova Scotia are ready to open the provincial wallet, it's a good thing they won't win because the strain that thousands of people having aneurysms and mental break-downs the next day would put on the system would be hard to handle :(

The PC also seem to be willing to restore a lot of cut programs though, so the Liberals could be in trouble.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just found out today that we have a Libertarian party that wants to sell of the NSLC and cut corporate taxes to 0% haha

The NDP announced that if they formed government they'd provide free education to the NSCC (Nova Scotia Community College), ~$34 million a year, as well as ~$7 million to subsidize university students

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/05/09/millennials-ponder-living-with-elderly-vancouver-housing.html

It's like the kifu aged from Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society but in real life.

http://www.mangauk.com/selfish-genes/ posted:

In Solid State Society, children are in short supply, while the burdensome population of retirees is increasing. Furthermore, the very technology that was supposed to make the future a paradise of easy living is keeping people alive for inconveniently extended periods, leading to Solid State Society’s “Kifu Aged” – pensioners on life-support machines, regarded by a brutal society as parasites.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mantle posted:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/05/09/millennials-ponder-living-with-elderly-vancouver-housing.html

It's like the kifu aged from Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society but in real life.

The potential for abuse towards the elderly with that plan is frightening.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Oh, look, we've reinvented the multigenerational household, except this time it's some else's grandparents.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Keep grandma alive for her pension cheques

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Entorwellian posted:

The potential for abuse towards the elderly with that plan is frightening.

Abuse of the elderly by their children, who are in their mid-late 50's, is already staggering and horrific. That particular demographic, which is usually referred to as boomers but is actually the children thereof, is utterly hosed in the head beyond salvation.

The poo poo I have seen in the name of entitlement. :stonk:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 14, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

HookShot posted:

I've seen shared rooms here where there are as many as 4 people in a room (which is illegal, fire code says 2 max). I saw one person advertising a studio with 4 beds for $1000/month/bed. I don't know if they ever actually managed to get tenants at that rate, but I wouldn't even be surprised if they did.

People also stop giving as much of a poo poo when their other options are homelessness.

They advertise in local newspapers in the local language in the countries these students come from and ask for money up front. Students often don't say a second year once they figure out they've been ripped off.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

They advertise in local newspapers in the local language in the countries these students come from and ask for money up front. Students often don't say a second year once they figure out they've been ripped off.

They advertise on Craigslist and the locals housing group here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also a local realtor went door-to-door dropping off pamphlets asking for people to contact him for a market valuation here.

Apparently there's a bylaw prohibiting that, so I hope the motherfucker enjoys being reported.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

HookShot posted:

They advertise on Craigslist and the locals housing group here.

I don't doubt that, I'm sure they do here as well. But regardless a lot of these landlords do advertise to foreign students in their own language and basically take advantage of people that don't know the local laws.

quote:

Junjie Piao is a master's student at McMaster University. While he was still living in China, he found the house advertised in Chinese on a website for the McMaster University Chinese Students and Scholars Association.

Piao said he thought it was better to rent from a Chinese landlord so that he could negotiate and get the information about the rental in a language he could understand. He moved in for the start of the fall semester in 2015.

But Piao said Goerge Huisong Yuan, the former landlord, charged him a year's worth of rent upfront — about $6,600 — and refused to refund him when Piao wanted to move out in December. In Ontario, landlords cannot require more than a month's rent as a deposit.

"Before I moved in, he told us it is the rule in the Hamilton area, and most of us are first-year (students), so we don't know the rule or the law there, so we just do what he says," he said.

Piao said he didn't know how many bedrooms there were total in the house before he moved in. When he arrived, there were 12 bedrooms.

After a few months, Piao moved out because he didn't want to live in an "overcrowded" house, he said.

He couldn't get his money back from the landlord, and says Yuan still owes him $2,500. Piao filed two appeals with the province's Landlord-Tenant Board last year, but they were both dismissed. Yuan said he doesn't owe him any money.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/overcrowded-12-bedroom-hamilton-house-1.4035008

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If it is prohibited to charge for more than one month upfront why was his appeal denied twice?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

cowofwar posted:

If it is prohibited to charge for more than one month upfront why was his appeal denied twice?

He probably paid in cash and no receipt was issued. I bet the landlord is saying "money? What money?".

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

Piao said he thought it was better to rent from a Chinese landlord so that he could negotiate and get the information about the rental in a language he could understand.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/condo-boards-toronto-1.4113053

quote:

Owners and property managers at several downtown condominium buildings are accusing a group of individuals of hijacking their boards of directors to get control of multi-million dollar budgets and reserve funds.

CBC Toronto has linked a group, made up of three men and some associates, to condo boards in about a dozen highrises in Toronto and Mississauga over the last several years.

In many of these cases, the individuals controlling the boards don't appear to own units in the building.

Read more on this story Tuesday, with details about energy contracts and the boards at two more highrise buildings.
"We're certainly aware of a half-dozen buildings where attempts have been made by this group to take control of the board of directors," said Audrey Loeb, a lawyer with Miller Thomson who specializes in condominium cases.

The CBC investigation uncovered allegations of "forged signatures," irregularities in the election of members to the boards and even the suggestion that a board member at one Toronto condo doesn't really exist.

Audrey Loeb, condo lawyer with Miller Thomson
Audrey Loeb, a condo lawyer with Miller Thomson, says she's aware of a half dozen buildings where attempts were made by Laczko, Blanchard and McGregor to take control of the board of directors. (CBC)
Ontario's Condominium Act has very few restrictions on who can be elected to a condo board. Loeb says as long as one is over 18 years of age, mentally competent and not bankrupt, almost anyone can be on the board. The elected board members then make decisions — including setting rules and overseeing financial operations — on behalf of condo owners, who pay monthly fees to the board.

However, under provincial rules, elected board members don't have to own a unit in the building.

Some residents in the buildings where the three men have been elected to the board complain the boards haven't allowed them to attend meetings, won't reveal information about how service contracts were awarded and allege that their buildings have fallen into physical and financial disrepair on the men's watch.

"I have to wonder why they're running for the board of directors," Loeb said. "They're not getting paid, but they're in control of significant amounts of money."

Who are the 3 men seeking spots on boards?

The group identified by CBC Toronto as taking aggressive steps to control condo boards in the city involves three main characters:

George Laczko
George Laczko currently sits on two condo boards in buildings where he is not a registered owner. He tried to get on a third condo board in January. (LinkedIn)
George Laczko: The co-founder of a Danforth Avenue immigration company and web-based businesses that has been the subject of dozens of complaints in the past year about its business practices from irate customers. Laczko currently sits on two condo boards in buildings where he is not a registered owner. He tried to get on a third condo board in January.

Ray Blanchard
In the past year alone, Ray Blanchard has been elected to at least three different condo boards. (LinkedIn)
Ray Blanchard: A self-described restaurant owner and investor. In the past year alone, Blanchard has been elected to at least three different condo boards. He tried to get on a fourth. Land registry records show he is not a registered condo owner in any of the buildings he helps control.

Darryl McGregor condo board
Darryl McGregor was convicted of breaking into a unit at the Icon condo building and stealing items belonging to a resident in 2013.
Darryl McGregor: The director of Perfect Clarity Inc., a Toronto-based energy management firm. McGregor has had several run-ins with police. He currently sits on at least two condo boards in buildings where he owns units and has launched a court battle to get back on the board of the Icon condo building at 270 Wellington St. W., where he also owns a unit. McGregor was convicted in 2013 of breaking into a unit at Icon and stealing items belonging to a resident.

Identity fraud allegations

In each of the cases CBC Toronto investigated, the new boards have terminated the contracts of property managers, cleaners and security staff and other providers of building services.

The boards have signed new contracts with other service providers. In some cases, they also signed energy contracts through Perfect Clarity, the energy management firm directed by McGregor

McGregor, Blanchard and Laczko would not answer questions directly or through their lawyers.

Last month, a group of residents at the Icon condo building in downtown Toronto filed a complaint with Toronto Police. They allege that during their board of directors elections last December, McGregor submitted more than a dozen proxy ballots containing "forged signatures" of condo owners.

Proxy votes are used when an owner of a condo can't cast a vote in person and signs their vote over to someone else, who casts a ballot on their behalf.

Icon condo building on wellington
Darryl McGregor has launched a court battle to get back on the board of the Icon condos at 270 Wellington St. W., where he also owns a unit. (CBC)
CBC Toronto has learned some of the condo owners who claim their signatures were forged have provided sworn affidavits to police. The investigation into the forgery allegation is ongoing.

Ray Chepesiuk, who lives in Icon, told CBC Toronto it wasn't until after the condo board election "that the property manager noticed that some of the signatures didn't line up with some of the signatures we had on file on legal documents. Our lawyer told us this was serious."

Ray Chepesiuk lives in the icon condo
Ray Chepesiuk, who lives in the Icon condo, told CBC Toronto it wasn't until after the condo board election that the property manager realized that the proxy signatures didn't line up. (CBC)
McGregor was then kicked off the board.

The businessman is now suing the condo corporation and unit owners, claiming they had no authority to remove him from the board.

In his affidavit filed in court, McGregor claims the election results were final and that he "has denied and continues to deny any knowledge of or involvement with any forged proxies."

The legal matter has yet to be settled in court.

Men 'acted like they didn't know each other'

The Icon case is not the only instance where the three men turned to the courts to sue condo owners at buildings where they've been turfed over allegations of improper proxies.

On July 27, 2016, McGregor, Laczko and Blanchard were elected to the five-member condo board at the luxury Five condo building at 5 St. Joseph St. The 48-storey tower has over 500 condos and an annual operating budget of about $2.6 million, plus a reserve fund.

Five Condos toronto
Residents at the Five Condos say maintenance fees went up slightly recently despite 'lots of operational issues' such as late or no snow ploughing last winter, elevators and garbage chutes that are routinely out of service. (Google Maps)
According to court documents and interviews with witnesses, the three men arrived at the election meeting —called a turnover meeting — and explained why they wanted on the board. All three claimed to own units in the building.

"They all sat in different parts of the room, and none of them talked to each other," one person who was at the meeting told CBC Toronto.

A second person in attendance said, "they acted like they didn't know each other."

Laczko said if elected, he would push for security upgrades because his girlfriend had been accosted while coming home one night.

Blanchard described himself as a former restaurant owner. He also said he wanted to nominate a woman he had recently met in the building for a spot on the board. Her name was Jennifer Chang.

McGregor is said to have become testy when asked about his professional life.

All three men won seats on the condo board that night by wide margins. Chang did not.

Proxy problem?

The election was won in part thanks to the 53 proxy votes Blanchard had submitted — apparently signed by absentee owners.

The next day, residents in the building say, they found out all three men supposedly owned the same 13th floor unit, and Chang was Laczko's girlfriend.

Land registry records also showed McGregor was the only registered owner on title for the condo.

Days later, the proxies submitted by Blanchard were checked more closely: 34 were blank. In other words, the proxies didn't identify which candidate the absentee voters wanted to vote for. Blanchard was allowed to vote on their behalf for whoever he wanted to.

The property managers of Five eventually claimed the proxies hadn't been filled out properly and voided the election results.

Blanchard, McGregor and Laczko launched a court challenge under Ontario's Condominium Act to regain their spots on the board and won.

Why Toronto's condo rental market is described as 'ridiculous'
DOC ZONE | The Condo Game
On Aug. 31, 2016, Ontario Superior Court Justice Freya Kristjanson ruled the property manager had no legal authority to nullify the election and the proxy issues were raised after the fact.

Kristjanson ruled a second election should be held and in the meantime, ordered the interim board not to make significant financial decisions involving the condo tower. They seemingly ignored that court order and fired the property management company.

In court documents, the men allege they had fired the same company at another condo board they were elected to and believed the company wanted to prevent the three from getting on the board of Five as well.

The property management company did not respond to questions from CBC Toronto.

2nd election, 2nd win

The three men submitted 200 proxies at the second election at Five and won again. Also elected to the board was condo owner Elena Lokchina, who later resigned in apparent frustration. Someone named Sam Cheng was elected to the fifth spot on the board.

What kind of apartment can you get in Toronto for $1,800?
High rent could make Toronto a 'generational ghost town'
Cheng didn't actually show up for the election. Instead, his bio was passed around to condo owners. In it, Cheng claimed he had "been involved in over $600 million of real estate transactions." He also claimed to "lead the acquisitions team" at a major Toronto real estate investment firm.

CBC Toronto tried to make contact with Cheng, but the firm listed in his bio said they had never heard of Cheng.

Two condo owners at Five say none of the dozens of owners they canvassed had ever seen Cheng.

"I think it's unbelievable ... we have no idea who he is," said one owner. "We don't even know if he exists."

Residents at Five also say maintenance fees went up slightly recently despite "lots of operational issues," such as late or no snow ploughing last winter and elevators and garbage chutes that are routinely out of service. They have also complained about theft in the building.

bold the whole god drat thing

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Guys I have an idea...

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Man, our currency is going to eat poo poo next recession.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 16, 2017

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Meanwhile, Poloz says there hasn't been a spike in credit

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Wasting posted:

Meanwhile, Poloz says there hasn't been a spike in credit
0.2% year over year wage growth implies the necessity of otherwise.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Holy loving poo poo. This is so scary. I bet they are riding on the fact that so many buildings are majority rentals with absentee owners. They can sweep right in and no one checks to see if they actually own or live in the building.

Future ghettoes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dev286 posted:

Holy loving poo poo. This is so scary. I bet they are riding on the fact that so many buildings are majority rentals with absentee owners. They can sweep right in and no one checks to see if they actually own or live in the building.

Future ghettoes.

My mom says that the guys who win the elections on her board always win with a boatload of proxies so reading this story hit home.

What I want to know is what the actual benefit is for the board members. Just being on these boards isn't the corruption in and of itself (though maybe there's fraud happening to get "elected"). When they run the boards do they then funnel repair and maintenance work to their friends or their own companies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lobok posted:

My mom says that the guys who win the elections on her board always win with a boatload of proxies so reading this story hit home.

What I want to know is what the actual benefit is for the board members. Just being on these boards isn't the corruption in and of itself (though maybe there's fraud happening to get "elected"). When they run the boards do they then funnel repair and maintenance work to their friends or their own companies?

Yeah kickbacks