Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope! I loving hate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

Nope! I loving hate it!

I would rather watch the first one 10 times than see the second one ever again

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I like AVP:R mainly for how loving Badass the Wolf is and because being a mexican archeologist, I was very bothered for all the bullshit the first movie had.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Going back a few pages but:

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the best things about The Legend of Tarzan is that it doesn't do a franchise push at all. There could be sequels but at no point are they ever explicitly pushed, and the movie wraps up well and feels complete.

I watched The Lost City of Z over the weekend, and it strongly reminded me of The Legend of Tarzan in how it tried to blend fiction and historical characters to invert the typical white savior/exploration-as-imperialism tropes.* John Carter and Free State of Jones also kind of fit that trope of recent movies that try to subvert those old racial cliches, if imperfectly in each case.

*It's especially funny in Lost City of Z, because Percy Fawcett in the movie explicitly says that by discovering Z, it will prove the Amazonian peoples have the capacity for civilization and deserve to be treated as equals and will help lead to the abolition of slavery in the Amazon, while in reality, at least by the end of his life, Fawcett actually thought that Z was some kind of portal built by Atlantis that would lead to some Theosophy-based alternate dimension where death didn't exist.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Since we're talking about Predator fantasy scripts and fanfic, I want a Predator movie where the first fifteen minutes take place on the Predator home world, where it's Office Space, complete with white shirts, suspenders, glasses, and ties, except with Predators. All the fishnets, knife gauntlets, and plasma casters are like them cosplaying their primitive past. Also, there's a fat Ned Beatty Predator.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Since we're talking about Predator fantasy scripts and fanfic, I want a Predator movie where the first fifteen minutes take place on the Predator home world, where it's Office Space, complete with white shirts, suspenders, glasses, and ties, except with Predators. All the fishnets, knife gauntlets, and plasma casters are like them cosplaying their primitive past. Also, there's a fat Ned Beatty Predator.

Sealab 2021 is as close as you can currently get to this.

e: have a hot take on Adam Reed courtesy of google and SA 2k11 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427747

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 16, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want a predator who isn't into hunting humans at all but is trying to win the approval of his fiance's dad so he'll approve of the marriage. And the guy being hunted is Simon Pegg.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Power Rangers made just $3.3 million dollars opening weekend in China, RIP the six Power Rangers sequels

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want a Predator equivalent of this guy.

I'm not talking about Karl either.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

I want a Predator equivalent of this guy.

I'm not talking about Karl either.

So Lenny then?

*checks hands for the code to tell Karl and Lenny apart*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like AVP:R mainly for how loving Badass the Wolf is and because being a mexican archeologist, I was very bothered for all the bullshit the first movie had.

The aliens in avpr are so so dumb. They're barely a threat to anyone. They just kinda flop around and get dunked on by the Wolf with such ease that's it's not even fun to watch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tars Tarkas posted:

Power Rangers made just $3.3 million dollars opening weekend in China, RIP the six Power Rangers sequels

Would I be correct in postulating the poor performance is largely from releasing in that country so late? Like anyone who was interested probably already bootlegged it. Or is this bad compared to even other movies released months later?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Proposal: Aliens X Gremlins

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

I guess this was a video game? Now it is an inferior Them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumQ6XaL6kA

Some people should not be allowed to perform color grading.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

The aliens in avpr are so so dumb. They're barely a threat to anyone. They just kinda flop around and get dunked on by the Wolf with such ease that's it's not even fun to watch.

I thought it was pretty liberating when the Wolf hosed them up in the sewer because I was still mad that the Predators got chumped out in the first one. You've got this prowrestler-shaped Predator losing against one (1!) alien, how weak is that.

The aliens in AvP R mainly prey on kids, hobos and pregnant ladies. They are pretty appalling, but the movie doesn't quite go far enough to make it as funny as it could be.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Both movies suck due to lack of budget. 5 Predators vs a bunch of Aliens is fair enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

On a $100 million budget.

Yikes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

S

I forget, do the Predators actually eat people/aliens/etc.?

In Predator 2 the predator goes to a meat locker to eat, so probably not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Once you take marketing tie ins and merchandising into account I'm sure it wasn't a loss.

Lessons learned: Next time have them morph within the first ten minutes, have more than one morphed fight scene that lasts longer than two minutes and features more than just the generic minions. Let the characterization inform the action and vice versa rather than having a lot of characterization, even good characterization, that had hardly anything to do with the action. Make designs recognizable and appealing to children.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On a $100 million budget.

Yikes.

That still makes no sense to me. It made back it's entire budget and an extra 38%. That seems successful to me.

Does that $100 million include marketing and stuff, too?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Marketing was probably about $50 million. The general rule is another %50. But they also probably made a ton of money from Krispy Kreme and toys and junk. Saban probably came out on top with the studio probably breaking even.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I always figured the studio has to make a substantial profit to consider a movie a success. Breaking even would be a failure for them.

The other day I found out Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was the most expensive film ever made with a budget of over $400 million, but it also made like over $1 billion at the box office, so it was considered a success and now there's a 5th one about to come out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always figured the studio has to make a substantial profit to consider a movie a success. Breaking even would be a failure for them.

The other day I found out Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was the most expensive film ever made with a budget of over $400 million, but it also made like over $1 billion at the box office, so it was considered a success and now there's a 5th one about to come out.

Isn't the next Avengers movie supposed to have a budget of a billion dollars? That's utterly mind boggling to me. But I guess they do have like 67 characters in it so I imagine the actors' pay is a big chunk of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leavemywife posted:

That still makes no sense to me. It made back it's entire budget and an extra 38%. That seems successful to me.

Studios only collect about 50% of the box office receipts, on average (more in the USA, less in China, blah blah blah it usually averages out to about 50%).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Coming soon to Cannes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8pJt4dK_s4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't the next Avengers movie supposed to have a budget of a billion dollars? That's utterly mind boggling to me. But I guess they do have like 67 characters in it so I imagine the actors' pay is a big chunk of that.

:stare: gently caress me.

Although from the way it's worded on the Wiki, that's the budget for both Avengers 3 and Avengers 4. They were shot back-to-back and had a combined budget of $1 billion. So I guess roughly $500 million each? That still makes them the most expensive movies ever made. Although Avengers 2 cleared over a billion at the box office, so it'll turn a profit for them I'm sure.

Superhero movies are like guaranteed moneymakers nowadays.

Also I just looked up the highest-grossing movies ever and Avatar is #1 with $2.8 billion? Ahahahahaha, HOW? :vince:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also I just looked up the highest-grossing movies ever and Avatar is #1 with $2.8 billion? Ahahahahaha, HOW?

Being a real "3D" theater experience before the industry once again abused it. Those premium 3D sales helped it.

Having an uncomplicated story that anyone could understand and relate to and most people enjoyed a lot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Being a real "3D" theater experience before the industry once again abused it. Those premium 3D sales helped it.

Having an uncomplicated story that anyone could understand and relate to and most people enjoyed a lot.
I remember it being popular but not that popular.

Jesus, I guess that explains why they have a million sequels planned for it even though the original came out 8 years ago and the first sequel has yet to come out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Also I just looked up the highest-grossing movies ever and Avatar is #1 with $2.8 billion? Ahahahahaha, HOW? :vince:

It did Avengers caliber ticket sales but more of those sales was a were for more expensive 3D ticket because seeing the 3D was half the reason to see the movie. Those not actual IMAX screens that are able to call themselves IMAX because they license the name did huge business with it too because of that. So it would make sense that it actually kind of makes sense for it to be the highest grossing movie ever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW, I saw Avatar in a real IMAX theater in 3D. It was 20 dollars a ticket and looked absolutely great. I regret nothing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, Avatar was absolutely worth seeing in the theatre in 3D. But that's about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BTW, I saw Avatar in a real IMAX theater in 3D. It was 20 dollars a ticket and looked absolutely great. I regret nothing.
I saw it in 3D. Not IMAX though, I don't think. Or maybe I did. I can't even remember now. The implementation of 3D in that movie was spectacular, but that's the only thing that movie had going for it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I saw it twice in 3D at a real IMAX. I still really like the movie too.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I never saw it in theaters so I never bothered watching it.

Also what if the pirates leak is just a scapegoat for when the movie bombs?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

dentist toy box posted:

I never saw it in theaters so I never bothered watching it.

:tinfoil: that was actually my first thought :tinfoil:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is Marvel's Secret Empire a false flag that Disney can blame for Infinity War bombing?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dentist toy box posted:

Executives don't like business risks. Leaking the movie is hugely, gigantically, amazingly risky. So, this is very unlikely.

The movie is on track for a 100 million dollar opening, we're not talking King Arthur here. The risk vs consequence is way out of wack to be trying anything that insane.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 16, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oh are we back to false flags? I remember someone in the 2014(15?) thread saying the Sony hack was a flash flag to blame for Annie being awful.

Pretty sure it's just someone stole Pirates because that makes a lot more sense

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Annie was pretty good, and a nice, sweet, film? Certainly not awful. Maybe it went off the rails at the end, I left 2/3 through because our 2 year old has sat still about as much as he could. (This was an empty am matinee showing, no theater goers were harmed in the taking of this child to a children's movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Danny McBride made Stand By Me 2!

quote:

One of our friends happened to have a video camera in the sixth grade. So that was when we started to make our first film. And it was called Stand By Me 2. It was a sequel. And Ray Brower, the kid who's dead in the first one, comes back as a zombie to kill all the kids that saw his dead body. [Laughs] To get revenge. It was great. It was really fun. We got pretty wild with it. Everyone played a character. I was Gordy. We were shooting my death scene, and one of my older brothers had a car. And I was like, 'Just come at me with the car. Not at a fast speed. I'll jump onto the hood, and it will be fine. Just go slow.' I literally got hit by a car, rolled off the hood, and just limped home for dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2HxgpAZtjk

• Locked thread