Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Short answer? :pgi:
Long answer. Russ is a loving moron.

Shorter longer answer: Game is dead. All actual "effort" is being to put into MW5:Mercs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
patch notes are up: http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1821-patch-notes-14115-16may2017
someone tell me, should I spend my GXP on pilot skills, mechs or not at all?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
also, someone tell me what to do with that goddamned skilltree, its loving huge, how are you supposed to build a good mech using that abomination, how are you supposed to be able to plan out what to get, it's like a travelling salesman problem, you gonna need a quantum computer to calculate the best builds gently caress this sucks man

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You just take all the numbers you want for your mech. Don't overcomplicate clicking buttons for bigger numbers.

I'm kind of curious if investing into the aux tree would be worth it. Having two good coolshots would be good, and having two arty or air strikes to go with it would be pretty rad too.

I wonder if you could make an ultratank archer by maxing out the survival tree and just keeping your doors shut for the 20% damage reduction while laserboating people to death.

Today we mourn the atlas and its 40% torso twist speed nerf

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 16, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

also, someone tell me what to do with that goddamned skilltree, its loving huge, how are you supposed to build a good mech using that abomination, how are you supposed to be able to plan out what to get, it's like a travelling salesman problem, you gonna need a quantum computer to calculate the best builds gently caress this sucks man

The new skill tree kind of sucks, but if you look at each mech you will figure out what you need. It's :pgi:, so just do what your heart tells you. Play around a bit in each weight class until you get a feel for what your mechs need. Some people say Clans will be OP again, and others say IS will be OP. Most mechs will benefit from weapon cool downs, but if you have a Dire Wolf, then you may need to go heavy into movement skills for that mech and slower Clan mechs. I'm waiting until the new skill tree drops to figure what my mechs need, but it shouldn't take long, really. I glanced at the new skill tree system and think it's rear end, but I'm used to that by now. Goons...uh, find a way.

Commoners posted:

I'm kind of curious if investing into the aux tree would be worth it. Having two good coolshots would be good, and having two arty or air strikes to go with it would be pretty rad too.

(Edit: for some reason this post got split into two)

That really depends on the mech. The Pirate's Bane and most lights shouldn't need cool shots, but they would benefit from having 2 UAVs. Most of my heavies and assualts will run as many cool shots as I can get, except my PPC Warhawk which somehow I manage with very little heat management. If you do Faction Warfare, then the more arty/air strikes you can get the better. Every point of damage in that mode is well worth it. You have a knack for min-maxing mechs that most people don't, so I wouldn't worry it about it if I were you. If I were me, I would worry, but I run ultra lovely mechs and do 800+ damage in solo Quick Play. Summoner with 2 C-UAC 5s, 2 ML, and 2SL and ending the match with 1K damage? Okay then. Weapon cooldown and JJ abilities it is!!

Also the Atlas will still do just fine. Most people don't aim well enough to keep hitting the CT or side torso's well enough for the Atlas to be concerned. I'll wait to see how they murder the quirks before I judge the Atlas as dead. To be honest, I rarely torso twist in my Atlas'. I just walk into the enemy and hope Skoll carries me while I murder the gently caress out of what's in front of me.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 16, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

Also the Atlas will still do just fine. Most people don't aim well enough to keep hitting the CT or side torso's well enough for the Atlas to be concerned. I'll wait to see how they murder the quirks before I judge the Atlas as dead. To be honest, I rarely torso twist in my Atlas'. I just walk into the enemy and hope Skoll carries me while I murder the gently caress out of what's in front of me.

Yeah, but you'll also be facing 40% less acceleration/deceleration, which is super important for a brawler like the atlas. It really shines when you torso twist with it, and most goons don't get the actual huge benefits of the atlas that are the difference between crushing three people at once or just dying after a few alpha strikes from the enemy team because they refuse to torso twist

E: Two of the scariest mechs I'm looking at right now are both hero mechs. The Top Dog and the La Malinche are going to be able to stack the firepower tree on top of the quirks they already have to get some pretty fabulously retarded quirks.

My XL250 3LPL/6MPL top dog is going to have a total of 25% range, 10% cooldown, 15% duration, and 8% heat, while getting a significant net agility buff from the engine decoupling equivalent to ~+50 engine points for free. Before it only got 20% range and 5% cooldown when full skilled/moduled out, so this thing is going to be lancing people's cores out like crazy.

The La Malinche is still kind of a garbage mech due to hard points, but it will end up with 25% AC10 cooldown, 30% AC10 range, 8% AC10 heat, -23% LPL Heat, 30% LPL range, and 15% laser duration, and 10% cooldown on the LPLs. That means it can fire LPLs at an optimal range of 475 with .56 second duration, and its AC10 will have a 585 optimal range with a 1.8 second recycle rate. That means it can sit outside of clan laserboat optimal ranges and just completely punk them in trades at extreme ranges with weapons that are supposed to be fired at mid ranges.

The vindicators and awesomes are just going even further into the dumpster

Commoners fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 16, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Commoners posted:

Yeah, but you'll also be facing 40% less acceleration/deceleration, which is super important for a brawler like the atlas. It really shines when you torso twist with it, and most goons don't get the actual huge benefits of the atlas that are the difference between crushing three people at once or just dying after a few alpha strikes from the enemy team because they refuse to torso twist

So people won't adapt? A full on suicide charge where the Atlas cores multiple enemies and enables a full team push may not work now. The Atlas may end up in a different pushing role, mid battle when enemies are weaker and damaged by some long range/close range harasser mechs. Let's be honest here. Most of us are going to adapt to these changes pretty quick, regardless of how bad they are. Goons aren't ultra-high tier players, but we can and do adapt, except...a few of us...We will jump to whichever mechs work for the moment. That's how it's gone the last few quirk passes, and how it will likely go until MWO dies it's inevitable death.

The skill tree is garbage, but it affects everyone equally. Once we get used to it, we will find what works and what doesn't. I doubt anyone is looking forward to specking out even a few mechs, let alone the few of us who might have 100+, but we still keep coming back to this dumpster fire anyway.

Like, people need to stop being gloom and doom and THIS IS WHAT WILL KILL MWO! We all keep coming back anyway, because we figure out pretty quick what works and what doesn't and as a group we do pretty okay and help each others builds unless we are all super drunk.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 16, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

So people won't adapt? A full on suicide charge where the Atlas cores multiple enemies and enables a full team push may not work now. The Atlas may end up in a different pushing role, mid battle when enemies are weaker and damaged by some long range/close range harasser mechs. Let's be honest here. Most of us are going to adapt to these changes pretty quick, regardless of how bad they are. Goons aren't ultra-high tier players, but we can and do adapt, except...a few of us...We will jump to whichever mechs work for the moment. That's how it's gone the last few quirk passes, and how it will likely go until MWO dies it's inevitable death.

The skill tree is garbage, but it affects everyone equally. Once we get used to it, we will find what works and what doesn't. I doubt anyone is looking forward to specking out even a few mechs, let alone the few of us who might have 100+, but we still keep coming back to this dumpster fire anyway.

Mid battle pushes are what the atlas is really supposed to be doing either way. The suicide charge is generally a misplay that we do blindly and works out sometimes because pubs are just as bad at adapting to death balls as we are, and we end up accidentally forcing a 12v6 or whatever.

I'm not saying it's the death of the game, but the kodiak and atlas are going to be total dumpster baby dads after the decoupling. The KDK will functionally be a turret with nice hard points, and not being an immobile turd is what set it apart from the direwolf in the first place.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Commoners posted:

I'm not saying it's the death of the game, but the kodiak and atlas are going to be total dumpster baby dads after the decoupling.

How do the movement specs affect the KDK (Minus Spirit Bear) and AS7 when they have maxed Kinetic Burst and Hard Brake? I'm assuming, and this is only a guess, that bringing the hard brake and kinetic burst to full, you don't have to quite deal with the massive amount of time it takes to get to max speed you brought up earlier. If it really takes that long to get to full speed after spec-ing, at that point once at full speed you may as well just charge into the enemy team screaming blood and thunder hoping for the best. You've done the PTR, and only really touched on MASC mechs in the thread (I think??). I'm assuming you tried assaults with maxed kinetic bursts also. What assaults, not counting the Spirit Bear w/MASC, stand a chance in your opinion?

Edit: I'll probably be spending all of tomorrow night just spending spec points on mechs and trying to see what works, myself. I have enough exp on most mechs to fully spec everything on my most played a few times over, including my AS7's. My Boar's Head is well over 100K EXP, so I can't gently caress that one up too bad. A shame about it's -25% damage quirk if that gets removed though.

Further Edit: Using the preview post button didn't show the two mechs you consider the scariest. The Top Dog was at least in a pretty good place before, and wasn't a bad hero by any means. I might have enough MC to buy one, actually. Thunderbolts in general have always been pretty good, and can focus components really well.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 16, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Getting +25% acceleration on a 6kph/s acceleration means you're now going 7.5kph/s. That means it will now take eight and half seconds instead of eleven to accelerate to maximum speed after getting accel/decel skills. :v:

Most of the assaults are going to suck hard. The ones that will come out okay are the ones that already were bad at moving and didn't depend on maneuver to stay alive, like the dire wolf and king crab. The slow assaults like that are just going to be having another day in MWO, but all the brawlers and agile assaults are going to be having a terrible time after the patch.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Commoners posted:

Getting +25% acceleration on a 6kph/s acceleration means you're now going 7.5kph/s. That means it will now take eight and half seconds instead of eleven to accelerate to maximum speed after getting accel/decel skills. :v:

Most of the assaults are going to suck hard. The ones that will come out okay are the ones that already were bad at moving and didn't depend on maneuver to stay alive, like the dire wolf and king crab. The slow assaults like that are just going to be having another day in MWO, but all the brawlers and agile assaults are going to be having a terrible time after the patch.

I kind of figured. From what I gathered on past posts, slower engines = better just because you hit max speed sooner. Except for my Boar's Head, my Atloxen only go 53 KPH max, same as a Dire, so that particular aspect may not hurt me as much as others. But then, my Atloxen are set up to defend on Faction Warfare, where you don't need to move like...at all if you set yourself up right. Otherwise I wait until people group up, then wade into the enemy coring whoever I can.

How long until engine decoupling gets back peddled, you think? Did Russ' son hate that some assaults can move at a brisk pace?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I don't understand how mechs are balanced with regards to the different kinds of weapons systems they can equip. For example, won't a mech using only LPLs be able to put more points into energy heat, cooling, range et.c. than a mech running both ballistics and SRMs? Like, doesn't this skillsystem reward mechs using a single type of weapons as opposed to mechs running many different?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Look inside your heart and you will find the answer, my friend.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TjyvTompa posted:

I don't understand how mechs are balanced with regards to the different kinds of weapons systems they can equip. For example, won't a mech using only LPLs be able to put more points into energy heat, cooling, range et.c. than a mech running both ballistics and SRMs? Like, doesn't this skillsystem reward mechs using a single type of weapons as opposed to mechs running many different?

MWO has always benefited boating as many of the same weapons as possible.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Good, I thought I had misunderstood something since they communicated previously that one of their goals with the new skill system was to enable more diverse builds. But I see now in the patch notes that the goals now are:
• Provide greater depth and control to the player over the customization and specialization of their 'Mechs
• Address the heavy 'progression walls' seen under the previous Skill system by removing the Rule-of-3 variant leveling system and integrating Modules directly into the Skill Tree

And I think that these 2 goals actually have been fulfilled by the new skill system, that is also wreaks havoc on the balance doesn't seem to have been an issue. It is funny that they understand that the new skill system doesn't make more diverse builds possible but instead of fixing it they removed it as a goal and instead say that the goal is to give players more control over customization.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Trying to read the patch notes and my eyes just keep glazing over. What the gently caress is wrong with :pgi:?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes, but the old module system also did this. If you ran a single weapon type, you could run both the CD and Range modules for it, rather than having to pick and choose.

Still really bummed about the mobility changes, cause I like brawling. It was already merely a middling playstyle and looks to be trash after the patch.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 16, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

Trying to read the patch notes and my eyes just keep glazing over. What the gently caress is wrong with :pgi:?

PGI sourced a stand in dev team from nexusmods while the heavy hitters are beating mw5 into shape

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

PGI sourced a stand in dev team from nexusmods while the heavy hitters are beating mw5 into shape

Ew.

Also go on steam and play some PUBG with me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Skoll posted:

tl;dr: continue not playing mwo, play pubg for two weeks, burn out on it, and play Battletech on the first

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm Excited for Battletech but decided to skip the beta. I've learned that playing games in beta or early access is a good way to burn out on them before the game is even "out".

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
BattleTech Beta has no campaign, and no missions other than "Kill that Lance of Mechs with your own Lance of Mechs".

I'm going to play a few matches for a few days but will not delve deep in for the same reason, but the full game has so much more than the beta will that I'm not overly concerned. Just having persistent Mechs and MechWarriors will change the strategy completely.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Right but as far as I understand battle tech is an rts right? I'll still like it but I can't weed out and be a mechwarrior in an rts :v:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sky Shadowing posted:

BattleTech Beta has no campaign, and no missions other than "Kill that Lance of Mechs with your own Lance of Mechs".

I'm going to play a few matches for a few days but will not delve deep in for the same reason, but the full game has so much more than the beta will that I'm not overly concerned. Just having persistent Mechs and MechWarriors will change the strategy completely.

shoot, negotiating contracts (I think that's a feature, right?) will be fun in and of itself. More pay vs. less salvage, time spent on the contract -- lots of depth there

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Right but as far as I understand battle tech is an rts right? I'll still like it but I can't weed out and be a mechwarrior in an rts :v:

It's not an RTS (like MechCommander) it's turn-based (like XCOM :v:).

Also, what's the verdict on this game. Should I sell my modules before the patch hits?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Q_res posted:

It's not an RTS (like MechCommander) it's turn-based (like XCOM :v:).

Also, what's the verdict on this game. Should I sell my modules before the patch hits?

Don't sell modules. Any bought after December something or other will have a full c-bIll refund. The rest get converted into general skill points you use to unlock nodes.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Boating was extremely favored in the first two firepower trees, but this one you have to be taking the super specialized nodes to get holed into boating. You can get heat, range, cooldown nodes without touching any others which are universal to all weapons, and velocity applies to ballistics, missiles, and PPCs for energy. IMO the only good specialized firepower nodes are the duration ones. The others aren't really significant changes, but you may as well take them if you're using whatever weapon.

Honestly I think that now there is less incentive to boat than there was with modules. I could take three or four different laser types and mix in some ballistics/missiles for good measure, and all of those weapons would be getting the benefits. Boating is mostly just a thing of convenience, because if you're boating a weapon system all those weapons have the same cooldown, range bracket, etc.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

Boating was extremely favored in the first two firepower trees, but this one you have to be taking the super specialized nodes to get holed into boating. You can get heat, range, cooldown nodes without touching any others which are universal to all weapons, and velocity applies to ballistics, missiles, and PPCs for energy. IMO the only good specialized firepower nodes are the duration ones. The others aren't really significant changes, but you may as well take them if you're using whatever weapon.

Honestly I think that now there is less incentive to boat than there was with modules. I could take three or four different laser types and mix in some ballistics/missiles for good measure, and all of those weapons would be getting the benefits. Boating is mostly just a thing of convenience, because if you're boating a weapon system all those weapons have the same cooldown, range bracket, etc.

The difference being that before you boated 1 kind of weapon, now you will be able to boat 1 kind of weapon type, I get it. So the WHM-6D should be really good then, depending on what the engine thing does to it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

The difference being that before you boated 1 kind of weapon, now you will be able to boat 1 kind of weapon type, I get it. So the WHM-6D should be really good then, depending on what the engine thing does to it.

Missiles/AC combos are still going to be really good. The specialized nodes don't squeeze that much performance (Besides duration for lasers) out of your other gun types to worry about boating for the sake of optimization. Filling out your hard points with complimentary guns regardless of type is now the most optimal choice.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Glad I have a shitton of gen xp so I can max out the Penishawk, since it's going to be one of the only good mechs left.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

veedubfreak posted:

Glad I have a shitton of gen xp so I can max out the Penishawk, since it's going to be one of the only good mechs left.

PHX-2 with 6 MPLS, ECM, JJs, and a big engine yo

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The PHX is not going to be a good chassis, it's still a terrible chassis out of any of the other things you could pick. The 3S is only going to be decent if you exploit its mobility.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Commoners posted:

The PHX is not going to be a good chassis, it's still a terrible chassis out of any of the other things you could pick. The 3S is only going to be decent if you exploit its mobility.

No better time than the present.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
So with the skill system having been spaghettified, is the game poo poo now?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

lol laser vomit top dog is a total nightmare and I am cutting mechs in half with no reprisal

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Patch isn't even downloading yet. Ask again in a few days.

Myself, I'm gonna let the grognards have their peculiar fun carefully min-maxing every individual skill point for a few days (while loudly protesting that they hate the new skill tree, of course) and then come back Friday to see what they've cooked up. Hopefully there's a good Urbie build in the new meta.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

This statement implies it was any better before. The skill tree is bad not because it makes the game worse but because it doesn't make it better. All this has done is shift around what mechs will be good and bad, while ensuring we never get a better option because pgi are stubborn and unwilling to admit it was a terrible idea.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well it looks like PGI took me to the cleaners for about 100 million c-bills for modules.

They "refunded" me points for the modules, but since all my mechs were mastered those extra 2,000 points are useless.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

spacetoaster posted:

Well it looks like PGI took me to the cleaners for about 100 million c-bills for modules.

They "refunded" me points for the modules, but since all my mechs were mastered those extra 2,000 points are useless.

Ah, but you only got 91 out of two hundred whatever skill points for each. Less than half of the way to actually mastered again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

Ah, but you only got 91 out of two hundred whatever skill points for each. Less than half of the way to actually mastered again.

You can use more than 91 points on a mech? I thought it was capped at 91?

I still want the money though.

• Locked thread