Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Aliens. The first thing the stuffed shirts in the hearing do when Ripley tells them about the xenomorph is suspend her license.

How the gently caress is her license still valid after 57 years floating through the central systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Memento posted:

Aliens. The first thing the stuffed shirts in the hearing do when Ripley tells them about the xenomorph is suspend her license.

How the gently caress is her license still valid after 57 years floating through the central systems?

It's a setting where they have some sort of suspended animation as a regular feature aboard ships. I'm pretty sure people are expected to 'live' for a long long time, even if a lot of that is spent in suspended animation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Inzombiac posted:

I'm really excited for the next movie (Infinity War 1 probably) where Tony and Cap are in the same room again. I hope they have a real - if short - reconciliation where both sides admit they were partially wrong.
There is such a golden opportunity for 2 minutes of character work and I pray Disney doesn't squander it.

I was hoping they'd have an actual, lasting breakup due to now-unresolvable feelings of betrayal etc. but they couldn't even make it last to the end of the movie because the good guys all have to be friends.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

I was hoping they'd have an actual, lasting breakup due to now-unresolvable feelings of betrayal etc. but they couldn't even make it last to the end of the movie because the good guys all have to be friends.

Honestly, Tony's 'emotional' scene at the end, is really poorly done. Like, at the point in the movie where Tony sees the film of Bucky killing his parents, he already has full and total knowledge that Bucky was a mindwiped super soldier that was part of a special weapons program, and had little to no agency. In fact, he knows it SO WELL that he went and talked to Falcon and got the details on where Cap and Bucky were. Tony has been a superhero in a world with mindwipes/mind control/etc. for like a decade at this point, and as emotionally unhinged as he's always played, it was just really silly the lengths he went through to kill Bucky at the end, to the detriment of literally all of his other goals. I get the anger, but it still felt really forced for an added bit of tension at the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Monkey posted:

Honestly, Tony's 'emotional' scene at the end, is really poorly done. Like, at the point in the movie where Tony sees the film of Bucky killing his parents, he already has full and total knowledge that Bucky was a mindwiped super soldier that was part of a special weapons program, and had little to no agency. In fact, he knows it SO WELL that he went and talked to Falcon and got the details on where Cap and Bucky were. Tony has been a superhero in a world with mindwipes/mind control/etc. for like a decade at this point, and as emotionally unhinged as he's always played, it was just really silly the lengths he went through to kill Bucky at the end, to the detriment of literally all of his other goals. I get the anger, but it still felt really forced for an added bit of tension at the end.

Isn't that it, though? Throughout the movie, Tony's telling Steve that he's too emotionally involved, that he needs to stop seeing Bucky as his old friend and start seeing him as the Winter Soldier, but then he learns the truth and he's all, "I don't care. He killed my mom." I think that's a reaction most people would have in that situation. :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, he literally just watched a video of his parents brutal murder, I don't think he was thinking anything through

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I understand an emotional reaction. But an emotional reaction that lasts so absurdly long that it allows the actual big badguy to escape, when Tony knows full well that Bucky wasn't in control at the time just seemed extreme. I'm usually the type to get easily invested in emotional moments, but that one just didn't work for me very well.

:ninja: edit: I dunno, maybe I just don't like how he keeps quipping and making comments through this supposedly rage-fueled attack. Like if he'd been incoherently raging and just attacking wildly, I probably would've been less bothered than I was. He just keeps his cool, even casually going 'I'll eyeball it *smug*' or something to that effect when there's a problem with the targeting computer.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 17:03 on May 13, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Captain Monkey posted:

I understand an emotional reaction. But an emotional reaction that lasts so absurdly long that it allows the actual big badguy to escape, when Tony knows full well that Bucky wasn't in control at the time just seemed extreme. I'm usually the type to get easily invested in emotional moments, but that one just didn't work for me very well.

:ninja: edit: I dunno, maybe I just don't like how he keeps quipping and making comments through this supposedly rage-fueled attack. Like if he'd been incoherently raging and just attacking wildly, I probably would've been less bothered than I was. He just keeps his cool, even casually going 'I'll eyeball it *smug*' or something to that effect when there's a problem with the targeting computer.

Tony Stark has been a supervillain in the making for five movies now. If Civil Wars screwed up in the climax, it's because there wasn't any relief on Tony's face when he saw the video, because it meant he finally had a good reason again to murder people.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Grendels Dad posted:

Tony Stark has been a supervillain in the making for five movies now. If Civil Wars screwed up in the climax, it's because there wasn't any relief on Tony's face when he saw the video, because it meant he finally had a good reason again to murder people.

Captain America has also spent several films by that point trying to figure out what the right fight is supposed to be. Stark escalating their bickering to actual violence is a relief to him, too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sassassin posted:

Captain America has also spent several films by that point trying to figure out what the right fight is supposed to be. Stark escalating their bickering to actual violence is a relief to him, too.

My IIMM for that film is when the government complains about all the collateral damage they inflicted in New York and cap doesn't say "Wait. You were the fuckers who tried to nuke the entire city, which we stopped. And the guys responsible for launching that nuke were partly Hydra agents. And you want *us* to trust *you*?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cap would be well within his rights to just tell the govt/whoever to just gently caress off when they complain about anything he's done

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phanatic posted:

My IIMM for that film is when the government complains about all the collateral damage they inflicted in New York and cap doesn't say "Wait. You were the fuckers who tried to nuke the entire city, which we stopped. And the guys responsible for launching that nuke were partly Hydra agents. And you want *us* to trust *you*?"

I mean he could but what good would it do? It's not like they'd ever admit it like "aw poo poo you're right our bad". They're meant to be assholes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

Cap would be well within his rights to just tell the govt/whoever to just gently caress off when they complain about anything he's done

Black Widows basically does that anyway at the end of Winter Soldier when she's up in front of that committee, doesn't she?

Obviously it would be a lot more effective coming from Cap, of course.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

A fair point but you don't even need to go there because they literally save the entire world from alien invasion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

syscall girl posted:

A fair point but you don't even need to go there because they literally save the entire world from alien invasion.

To be fair those aliens were wimps.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

To be fair those aliens were wimps.

They really were. But the movie tried to get across that their strength lied in numbers. Of course the movie failed, but there were a gently caress-ton of aliens on the other side of the portal, they just didn't seem all that intimidating on account of being decimated by the Avengers earlier.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

They really were. But the movie tried to get across that their strength lied in numbers. Of course the movie failed, but there were a gently caress-ton of aliens on the other side of the portal, they just didn't seem all that intimidating on account of being decimated by the Avengers earlier.

I am looking forward to a new Pacific Rim where they can afford to have the aliens break through the portal and battle royale with the mechs all over the world.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

I am looking forward to a new Pacific Rim where they can afford to have the aliens break through the portal and battle royale with the mechs all over the world.

We better still get mecha kaiju in the new movie

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Len posted:

Two kaiju piloting a mecha kaiju. Sign me up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

They would be smart to get the likes of Psy to make an internationally appealing video that has a catchy beat, some good footwork and just takes the piss out of the concept for a promo

The video would be more popular than the movie, feat. Charlie Day

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just put Ron Perlman into a mech suit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, not IMMEDIATELY. You gotta film him getting his shoe back first.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

This was a long time ago, but I remember GDT saying his idea for Pacific Rim 2 was the aliens who got nuked took parts from Gypsy Danger and incorporated them into new Kaiju.v

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm finally getting around to season 11 of Supernatural and it amuses me that the brothers still don't care about their half brother imprisoned in Hell.

Also why did they make a jab at the TV show Lucifer rather than the better comic book Lucifer? gently caress you show.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Armacham posted:

Handmaids aren't the only child-bearing women in Gilead, if I remember correctly. The Marthas and the Aunts are the only classes of women who are specifically mentioned as being infertile. Handmaids are just fertile women who have broken gender and/or social laws.

But the point of the Handmaids is for the rich men in command to have a child with someone not their Wife. So eventually someone is going to have to grab up the Econowives and train them to be Handmaids.

If the women in the Colonies are pretty much infertile (or will be soon after being sent there) there's not a hidden supply of ovaries somewhere.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

I'm finally getting around to season 11 of Supernatural and it amuses me that the brothers still don't care about their half brother imprisoned in Hell.

I am pretty sure he is beyond saving. Look at Raphael's host when he wasn't in him - that was just normal side effects of being possessed by an archangel that doesn't go out of his way to protect the host. Imagine how hosed up he would be after however many decades of being trapped with two pissed off archangels.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh probably but it doesn't jive with the whole "family is everything" schtick they have since he was kind of just forgotten

Edit: did it really copy the plot of It Follows for an episode? Really guys?

Len has a new favorite as of 06:14 on May 15, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

Oh probably but it doesn't jive with the whole "family is everything" schtick they have since he was kind of just forgotten

Edit: did it really copy the plot of It Follows for an episode? Really guys?

Every time he's brought up, I have to wrack my brain to remember who he is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

Also why did they make a jab at the TV show Lucifer rather than the better comic book Lucifer? gently caress you show.
Because the TV show had just started.

Cowslips Warren posted:

But the point of the Handmaids is for the rich men in command to have a child with someone not their Wife. So eventually someone is going to have to grab up the Econowives and train them to be Handmaids.
The handmaids are a solution for the men with infertile wives. If a free woman is fertile then she can just marry a man and have his children and they won't need a handmaid at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It kind of annoyed me in GotG2 that Quill loses his light powers when he kills Ego. Isn't the whole reason he exists so that someone else can generate and control the light? If Peter's a Celestial, shouldn't he still be able to do that stuff?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He couldn't do any of that stuff until Ego convinced him he could, so maybe he believed Ego about that too!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I figured he'd inherit it not lose it outright. Although, if we treat Ego as an extension of Quill it makes sense he'd have to purify himself of all Ego to come out better on the other end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I figured he'd inherit it not lose it outright. Although, if we treat Ego as an extension of Quill it makes sense he'd have to purify himself of all Ego to come out better on the other end.

I'm assuming that Ego was on the ropes and that was his last effort to try and stop Quill. He thought he was giving it up as a noble sacrifice and allowed for more character development. I bet you anything that he still has the light and it will come into play later.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Because the TV show had just started.

The handmaids are a solution for the men with infertile wives. If a free woman is fertile then she can just marry a man and have his children and they won't need a handmaid at all.

I don't know if it has been covered, or will be, in the show, but in the books Offred was at a wedding and imagining what the wedding night will be like. And how there's a good chance the men are infertile (not the women, but that is something no one states and it's always the woman's fault if there's no baby), and how the Sons getting married will possibly, one day, get high enough in the caste system to get a Handmaid of their own.

In the book, even the Wives get that the men might be the infertile gender, hence a lot of them go for other sperm donors without the Husband knowing, of course.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't know if it has been covered, or will be, in the show, but in the books Offred was at a wedding and imagining what the wedding night will be like. And how there's a good chance the men are infertile (not the women, but that is something no one states and it's always the woman's fault if there's no baby), and how the Sons getting married will possibly, one day, get high enough in the caste system to get a Handmaid of their own.

In the book, even the Wives get that the men might be the infertile gender, hence a lot of them go for other sperm donors without the Husband knowing, of course.

I don't know if it's good or bad but the show is going to be real long in the new tradition so it better cover all of the things you love or hate from the book.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

There is more than one way to hurt someone.

Also, Pa Kent teaches him pretty much the same, it's just that Superman can't solve everything because regular humans don't want him to, or that it ultimately wouldn't be to their benefit. Which is an inherent problem of the character, or else he would have ended world hunger three weeks after his inception.

Pa Kent is pretty much also a villain, as is Jor-El in Man of Steel. I'm sure it will be revealed that Pa Kent was originally from Germany circa 1943 with the fertile ground he lays for Jor-El to seed firmly with space racism.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wish they'd go back to the social issues crusader Superman of the early comics and radio where he's fighting slumlords and the Klan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Pa Kent is pretty much also a villain, as is Jor-El in Man of Steel.

Yeah I can see tha

quote:

I'm sure it will be revealed that Pa Kent was originally from Germany circa 1943 with the fertile ground he lays for Jor-El to seed firmly with space racism.

What?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wish they'd go back to the social issues crusader Superman of the early comics and radio where he's fighting slumlords and the Klan.

Superman should punch Richard Spencer in the face on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Superman should punch Richard Spencer in the face on screen

ahh, we've come flat circle

skitches into the thread