Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dienes posted:

He posted that as a reply to...his own post. Does he count as someone?

This is so weird but so Rothfuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tree Dude posted:

I've only ever seen one good airport bookstore. It's in Milwaukee and still operating. I'm a flight attendant so I have a pretty good sample size.

The Powell's in the Portland Airport is great.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Don't forget he rewrote a Roald Dahl children's story because he wasn't satisfied with its narrative hook and character development.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
What's the best way to read through the "let's read kingkiller critically" posts from this thread? Are they collected somewhere or should I just go back and find the first one and click through the thread? I skimmed past most of them originally...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There's a collection of links in this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122#post458895404

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

:tipshat:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Still think the thread should be called Patrick Rothfuss: Go Read Baudolino

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've never read these books despite having friends who seemed to really like them but I've read the last 20 pages of this thread and really enjoyed it so I'm totally going to go back and read BravestOfTheLamps's Let's Read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair that is probably the single best way to experience NOTW.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
A lot of the fun of "Let's Read Critically" for me was going "What? That didn't happen, did it?" or "That can't possibly be how he phrased that.", and then going back to realize that it was all true. I forgot entire swaths of that book, and genuinely skipped over most of the Amyr and Tablorin stuff because it was almost jaw-droppingly boring. Having that stuff summarized for me was a big help.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

SpacePig posted:

A lot of the fun of "Let's Read Critically" for me was going "What? That didn't happen, did it?" or "That can't possibly be how he phrased that.", and then going back to realize that it was all true. I forgot entire swaths of that book, and genuinely skipped over most of the Amyr and Tablorin stuff because it was almost jaw-droppingly boring. Having that stuff summarized for me was a big help.

For me it was more putting aside my "this was fun to read and therefore above criticism" and being able to actually see the deep flaws that I originally ignored in favour of the abundant fluff. I still consider the book an entertaining "I am shutting the critical part of my brain off" read, I just know that that's all it is now.

Also I swear to christ I must be the only person who didn't hate the Felurian/Amyr stuff that much. I look forward to rereading soonish so that I can realize the error of my ways, but in the broad strokes I remember, aside from a couple dumb bits (man-mothers, sex-dar), they really weren't as awful as all that. I attribute this to the same phenomenon that goons have regarding unhealthy food, that being the "I ate a mcdonalds burger and immediately became violently ill and got cancer and also diabetes" trope.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

For me it was more putting aside my "this was fun to read and therefore above criticism" and being able to actually see the deep flaws that I originally ignored in favour of the abundant fluff. I still consider the book an entertaining "I am shutting the critical part of my brain off" read, I just know that that's all it is now.

Also I swear to christ I must be the only person who didn't hate the Felurian/Amyr stuff that much. I look forward to rereading soonish so that I can realize the error of my ways, but in the broad strokes I remember, aside from a couple dumb bits (man-mothers, sex-dar), they really weren't as awful as all that. I attribute this to the same phenomenon that goons have regarding unhealthy food, that being the "I ate a mcdonalds burger and immediately became violently ill and got cancer and also diabetes" trope.

I think the problem is that very few people are see Kingkiller as a schlocky fantasy and I can forgive its flaws. Jim Butcher gets a huge pass on the lovely stuff about Dresden because of the oh its just a popcorn series etc.

Kingkiller is put on a pedestal - not just by Rothfuss - but by the industry at large as a consensus best modern fantasy book. It has enormous critical acclaim. So its fair game for pretty involved criticism.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

NOTW was fun to read for me, WMF not nearly as much, but I kind of had genre blindness to all the flaws because the only stuff I really remembered was some of the more elaborate uses of language that I wasn't expecting from a fantasy book. I was pretty positive about the book when I started posting in this thread but the critical re-examination led me to understand more about what was and was not a valid problem with the books, especially how poorly written the female characters are. I had kind of blocked the part where Kvothe saves the rape victims from the fake gypsies and then has sex with them shortly after, but that was especially hosed up.

Having Rothfuss himself turn out to be such a massive tool has been a trip too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I was gonna post about how thinking retroactively on WMF was what cause me to hate it, or maybe having to slog through it on a reread or something. I thought I had a higher opinion of it back when it first came out, but I guess I really didn't like it much at all from the get-go.

SpacePig posted:

I don't read very often, but something about The Name of the Wind just roped me in. I really fell in love with the book once Kvothe started telling his story. While I'm certain;y not a connoisseur of books by any means, I felt that it was a story well told, and it kept me interested through the entire thing. I stayed up almost entire nights telling myself "just one more chapter". I felt It honestly got me reading again for a little while.

The Wise Man's Fear, though, felt far too long, and lumbered in alot of places. It felt slow, and osmewhat disjointed. By the end of the book, I really felt that I wasn't even interested in Kvothe anymore. He just because such a weird and unappealing main character. I really can't put my finger on it, but something made me just sort of angry that he felt himself a hero one way or another, and I got sick of his odd, smug sense of righteouness and superiority.

I will probably still read the 3rd book if it manages to be significantly shorter than TWMF, but after having such a great time reading the first book, I feel like this series won't be one that I remember all that fondly looking back.

This is still pretty much the way I feel. There's a special place in my heart for NotW, because it got me back into reading for fun, even if I did skip probably a 3rd of the book in total. WMF was such a wet fart that I basically stopped reading fantasy until some folks in this thread recommended me some poo poo some 5 years later.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Errr, I don't have a book to check against. Did Kvothe actually have sex with the not-not-gypsy rape victims? I remember him creeping on them.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PJOmega posted:

Errr, I don't have a book to check against. Did Kvothe actually have sex with the not-not-gypsy rape victims? I remember him creeping on them.

He doesn't actually have sex with them. He just thinks about how sexy they are while he caresses their cheeks while they struggle to resist. Nothing rapey there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I don't think he actually has sex with them, but I'm pretty sure he feels them up. I think first as a ruse to get the trust of the kidnappers, then for himself, but he feels bad about it or something.

e: Dang, had this window open for awhile. But there you go. LoB tends to know what's up with these books in lieu of BotL.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SpacePig posted:

I don't think he actually has sex with them, but I'm pretty sure he feels them up. I think first as a ruse to get the trust of the kidnappers, then for himself, but he feels bad about it or something.

He doesn't feel bad about it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Lottery of Babylon posted:

He never feels bad about anything he does, just about getting caught.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yeah.

Page 860 posted:

By this time the girls were sitting on either side of me, facing the fire. Closer, I saw things I had missed before. There was a dark bruise on the back of Krin’s neck. The blond girl’s wrists were merely chafed from being tied, but Krin’s were raw and scabbed. For all that, they smelled clean. Their hair was brushed and their clothes had been washed recently. Kete had been tending to them.

They were also much more lovely up close. I reached out to touch their shoulders. Krin flinched, then stiffened. Ellie didn’t react at all.
Then Kvothe claims both of them, he says, and gives them the antidote to how he's poisoned all the fake Ruh, which puts them to sleep:

Page 863 posted:

In fifteen minutes she was asleep. I covered the two of them with a blanket and watched their faces. In sleep they were even more beautiful than before. I reached out to brush a strand of hair from Krin’s cheek. To my surprise, she opened her eyes and stared at me. Not the marble stare she had given me before, she looked at me with the dark eyes of a young Denna.

I froze with my hand on her cheek. We watched each other for a second. Then her eyes drew closed again. I couldn’t tell if it was the drug pulling her under, or her own will surrendering to sleep.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

He doesn't actually have sex with them. He just thinks about how sexy they are while he caresses their cheeks while they struggle to resist. Nothing rapey there.

Oh I agree it's rapey creepville. Simply wanted to check if my brain had a misfire.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I couldn't even finish Name of the Wind because of how unbearably boring it was.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh hey look what was posted today:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd also say there's a big difference between an epic fantasy story collapsing under the weight of all it's characters and extraneous plots, and being unable to finish a book because your writing style is too goddamn *twinkles* special *twinkles*

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
There is an importance common problem though: neither author is actually sitting down to write the stuff.

Procrastination is truly the root of great evil.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Shamefully, a recommendation from PA was what initially got me to read NotW, and I think they're pretty close to him personally these days. This is basically a friendly ribbing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

Shamefully, a recommendation from PA was what initially got me to read NotW, and I think they're pretty close to him personally these days. This is basically a friendly ribbing.

They play D&D with him on a regular basis. They're bros.

Let Tycho finish the trilogy. He's got that overly verbose pseudo-nonsense prose thing nailed down.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

HIJK posted:

There is an importance common problem though: neither author is actually sitting down to write the stuff.

Procrastination is truly the root of great evil.

GRRM has actually posted preview chapters, so he has one over Rothfuss in that he's written something.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

SpacePig posted:

Yeah. He goes to PAX and plays D&D with them every chance he gets. I also heard about NOTW from those guys.

efb

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Ornamented Death posted:

GRRM has actually posted preview chapters, so he has one over Rothfuss in that he's written something.

Rothfuss leaked that one page himself by accident (and then got super mad that people shared it), so we know Rothfuss has written SOMETHING. Its just one page that said basically nothing at all.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pash posted:

Rothfuss leaked that one page himself by accident (and then got super mad that people shared it), so we know Rothfuss has written SOMETHING. Its just one page that said basically nothing at all.

But it was a nothing in three parts. The first was the nothingness of empty, meaningless words. The second was the echoing nothingness of the blank volumes locked behind the poorly inked words. And the third nothingness was the most fatal of all, the sound of an writer refusing to write.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PJOmega posted:

But it was a nothing in three parts. The first was the nothingness of empty, meaningless words. The second was the echoing nothingness of the blank volumes locked behind the poorly inked words. And the third nothingness was the most fatal of all, the sound of an writer refusing to write.

:golfclap:

But seriously where's my loving last book. Rothfuss! Where is it?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The only interesting thing in the Rothfuss screens hot was the page count.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Patrick Rothfuss the feminist, ladies and gentlemen.

Ornamented Death posted:

Every preview chapter, except the Mercy one (maybe), was poo poo he wrote for ADWD but cut during editing. The number of new pages GRRM has shown since ADWD came out is in the single digits.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
avshalom was permabanned :(

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Avshalom flew too close to the sun

"the sun", in this case, being "threatening the life of the POTUS in posts on this messageboard"

feels weird to me that SA has had that happen more than once. Maybe I'm giving people too much credit...

...like my faint hope that Patrick Rothfuss will finish his drat book so I can satisfy my morbid curiosity about how this literary trainwreck wraps up (to get back to the topic)

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 21, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

He misspoke, it's not a trilogy it's a trilogy of trilogies. He apologizes for any confusion.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

trash

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Avshalom posted:

it is i, pedroth funk. with gunt in hand i descend the spiral staircase. she waits there at the bottom, my woman with her lantern and her tits like twin halves of apricots in syrup, her face like a wistful porcelain moon; her hair is an extravagant symphony of autumnal hues and her legs are many. i draw my wretched blade. its name is erect heretic. it is six thousand years old, forged by a sex elf from the purestrain gold excreted by the heart of a supernova, it is too heavy to lift so i have to wheel it around. my lady's diamontine eyes fixate on my erection. a dusting of a smile like the snow upon the boreal pine needles appears to brush its grace lightly across her delicate lips, HONK IF YOU'RE HORNY she says and i say HONK HONK and then i swirl into an effortless whirlwind of the blade that strikes her head from her neck and sends it flying through the open window like the lonesome albatross

• Locked thread