Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

skasion posted:

I feel like Crusher's (and to a slightly lesser extent Troi's) biggest problem as a character is that her dialogue is mostly really mediocre. Almost every one (sorry Geordi) of the male members of the main cast in TNG has at least a couple of great lines I can recall verbatim. In TOS even the minor bridge crew like Uhura and Sulu get some absolutely classic deliveries ("sorry, neither!"). With Crusher what have you got? Besides the thread title of course.

I mean JLP said it first but this always makes me laugh because his mom dunks on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seth Macfarlane's shows are at their best when he passes on creative control. See: American Dad.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, there must be something wrong with the universe!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Spoeank posted:

I mean JLP said it first but this always makes me laugh because his mom dunks on him

Oh yeah, fair point

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How come Picard can just ask for tea hot but everyone else needs to specific the exact drat temperature they want their water at? (Or why aren't people asking for "water, cold"?)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxyclean posted:

How come Picard can just ask for tea hot but everyone else needs to specific the exact drat temperature they want their water at? (Or why aren't people asking for "water, cold"?)

He's probably set up a macro like "when I ask for a hot beverage, make it 80 degrees celsius" and almost nobody else has bothered to do it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

RHIP

also, they want some people to say Celsius so you know they are more advanced in the future

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The_Doctor posted:

This is going to be an hour long show, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is more serious on occasion with comedy sides.

Well now I'll be comparing that show to Farscape or Stargate.

It's on Fox, so you know there's not good odds of it getting out of season 1.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I was watching one the other day where Barclay asks for water and the computer asks to clarify temperature and he snaps "I don't care, just give me some water!" and it manages.

I was kind of hoping the computer would be a dick and it would be scalding hot.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Oxyclean posted:

He's the loving Captain, that's how come.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So when Enterprise came out, I watched about five episodes before I decided not to bother. Now I'm giving it a second try and something is bothering me.

Why are Archer and Trip so racist? Is it an homage to Bones?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CommaToes posted:

So when Enterprise came out, I watched about five episodes before I decided not to bother. Now I'm giving it a second try and something is bothering me.

Why are Archer and Trip so racist? Is it an homage to Bones?

Archer hates Vulcans because they kept his daddy down.

Trip is racist because Florida.

Edit: Florida Man flies in space, gets pregnant

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

McNally posted:

Archer hates Vulcans because they kept his daddy down.

Thanks for spoiling next episode. :mad:

j/k I've seen that far in my first watch through.

It is strange to be giving the Vulcans the kind of sinister nature, though. Although in the previous series they were pretty benign.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

Significant raises for Stewart and Spiner, extensive location shooting (they did build the entire Ba'ku village) and late reshoots which added about $8 million to the bill.

Edit: they also had issues with the effects vendor.

Going back to this (Insurrection budget) the reshoots were actually closer to $10 million. The official number is that it cost $58 million but when all was said and done it was just short of $70MM.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I enjoyed the dickbag Vulcans in Enterprise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Enterprise's "Vulcans are a-holes" stance is real good. Everyone would hate them. They're paternalistic, unfeeling and holding back technology from the humans.

skasion posted:

She's a really good shot also

but yeah thats p. much her whole character

I had heard she never misses, but I watched Chain of Command the other day and she totally misses the second Cardassian she shoots at.

:sad:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 16, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The_Doctor posted:

This is going to be an hour long show, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is more serious on occasion with comedy sides.

The problem with doing serious episodes is that the show is already so similar to Star Trek that it would stop being a parody and become a straight up copycat and CBS \ Paramount could probably sue.

Like, if it weren't for the fact that it has Seth McFarlane in it doing goofy things, I could look at stills from the trailer and go "oh, that's the new Star Trek show!" The costumes, aliens, sets and even sound effects all look like they could be straight from some post-DS9\VOY show that never got made.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, if it weren't for the fact that it has Seth McFarlane in it doing goofy things, I could look at stills from the trailer and go "oh, that's the new Star Trek show!" The costumes, aliens, sets and even sound effects all look like they could be straight from some post-DS9\VOY show that never got made.

They straight-up use the hand phaser sound effect from the TNG movies.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I want to get excited for that McFarlane series, but it's a sci-fi series on Fox...

I'd guess the over/under on number of episodes it last to be about 6.5

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It's got the asthetic, but besides piss and bickering-divorced-couple gags it'll be interesting to see how much meat there is to the show.

I think A Matter of Honour is one of the stronger episodes from when TNG was still coughing and spluttering to life: Riker rolls up his sleeves and starts guzzling blood pie and gagh before he's even beamed onto a Klingon ship, and a new transfer onto the Enterprise has difficulties with the idea of a chain of command. I just wish that, after keeping away from all the lazy wacky fish-out-of-water traps they could have rolled in, it hadn't gone with a but where do Rikers loyalties lie??? setup half-way through instead.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Yep. They use the quantum torpedo sound effects from DS9 \ the TNG movies too.

Seth McFarlane might just be trying to make another Star Trek series, but he doesn't have the license so he changed the name and swapped the uniform colors around and made it a comedy, but he probably would have made it a comedy anyway.

It's like one of those video game kickstarters where a creator wants to make another entry into a dead series but doesn't have the rights, so they cross the name out and call it something else to avoid getting sued, but we all know what it's supposed to be.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yep. They use the quantum torpedo sound effects from DS9 \ the TNG movies too.

I'd wager these are just temp sounds the trailer editor used for now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'd wager these are just temp sounds the trailer editor used for now.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that, since the TNG movies are so old, the sounds have been recycled into effects libraries.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like TV today is in good enough a place that you can have a show that is both dramatic enough to carry a story but also comedic enough to make you laugh. Maybe like a Brooklyn 99 vibe? That would be good to get across for this.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Railing Kill posted:

She also kind of had a thing going on with Picard but not really and then the writers forgot about it, and her.

They didn't forget, they just weren't interested in it. (Keep in mind they practically replaced the entire writing staff while McFadden was away.)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like TV today is in good enough a place that you can have a show that is both dramatic enough to carry a story but also comedic enough to make you laugh. Maybe like a Brooklyn 99 vibe? That would be good to get across for this.

Which is fine. My point is that it's so similar to Star Trek, that it has to be a parody under US copyright law or else CBS might be able to sue. And knowing CBS, they probably would.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Orville will be a physical model. I'm sure they augment it with CGI but still, good for them.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PostNouveau posted:

Enterprise's "Vulcans are a-holes" stance is real good. Everyone would hate them. They're paternalistic, unfeeling and holding back technology from the humans.

Vulcans are dickbags in DS9 too. There's a whole ship full of them that have dedicated themselves to learning a centuries-dead alien sport, just to help their captain put his finger in Sisko's eye. And they're space elves, so they're better than humans in every way: stronger, faster, etc. There's almost no contest in the game itself. loving space elves. :orks:

That said,

Sash! posted:

I enjoyed the dickbag Vulcans in Enterprise.

I agree with this. Enterprise desperately needs something besides the Temporal Cold War in season one and, to a lesser extent, season two. It does. It's the Vulcan/Andorian thing, and it's rad (when it comes up).

McNally posted:

Trip is awesome, even though thinking of him as Florida Man is more entertaining than 90% of ENT:

"Florida Man Can't Remember Anything About the Subordinate He Is Eulogizing"

"Florida Man is Left Handcuffed Naked in a Wine Cellar After Trying to Seduce Terrorists"

"Florida Man is Impregnated on a Date During First Contact"

"Florida Man Requires Dying Clone of Himself as His Wingman"

"Florida Man Requires Erotic Massages to Get Over Nightmares About His Sister"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Florida Man Obsessed with Chair, Catfish

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Florida Man melts own lungs fending off intruders

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

It actually looks pretty decent. What's depressing is it might wind up being better than Star Trek: Discovery, if that show ever actually even comes out.

The production values are surprisingly high and if it weren't for the fact that it's a goofy Seth McFarlane show, it actually looks like a real, official Star Trek series.

I also don't hate Seth McFarlane and enjoyed the first few seasons of Family Guy. There I said it. Saying you liked Family Guy on the Internet is almost like saying you were a child molester from the way people will look at you. I posted the video on facebook and immediately I had 3 people going "ewwww Jesus, it's Seth McFarlane."

Now granted, I'll give you that the show eventually went downhill and I haven't seen Ted or a Million Ways to Die in the West (which I heard was bad but the concept sounded good to me) so I'm not super familiar with his more recent work. I just think people like to hate Seth McFarlane because it's the "cool thing to do on the Internet".

Ted is legit good; I haven't seen Ted 2 or Million Ways. But he is a hardcore, serious Star Trek fan. I think if they'd had made him the EP and showrunner instead of Fuller he would have turned in a serious, well produced show that was both very Star Trek but also very accessible.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A parody show like The Orville is going to rely heavily on Family Guy/American Dad style jokes and Mcfarlane historically can't keep those up for long without running out of steam and phoning it in.

Counterpoint: There's not really a lot of those style jokes in the trailer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

Ted is legit good; I haven't seen Ted 2 or Million Ways. But he is a hardcore, serious Star Trek fan. I think if they'd had made him the EP and showrunner instead of Fuller he would have turned in a serious, well produced show that was both very Star Trek but also very accessible.

Counterpoint: There's not really a lot of those style jokes in the trailer.

Fair point, but those aren't the kind of jokes you'd put in a trailer anyway. Believe me, I'd love to be proven wrong and have another good sci-fi show on the air, but I'm not holding my breath.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So, we finally got around to watching The Final Frontier.

He was a fan! Strongly praised the direction and performances (except the romulan counsel of course, because she was awful). I asked him for a rating so far;
I, IV, V, II, III

And good god, the sheer difference in shot composition between this and the others is shocking. Every scene is visually interesting, and some of the camera work really stands out. And it makes so much difference to have Shatner actually care for once, it felt like Kirk was really present instead of a bored Shatner. And that carries on to the rest of the cast too, great jobs all round.

I'm going to say it, V is my favourite Star Trek film, and I don't understand why it's so disliked. The themes are strong and well presented, character dynamics come alive, and it feels so much more authentic to the TV show than the others.

It even has starships presented at differing angles!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Apparently Brannon Braga is a writer and EP for The Orville

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently Brannon Braga is a writer and EP for The Orville

:what: the gently caress

well, I guess Seth worked with him on Cosmos. Maybe he was part of what makes the show possible somehow

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching 11001001 (the one with the computer-fixing androgynous aliens) and it's a nice palette cleanser. Weird in just the right Star Trek way.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker getting some characterization this episode as easygoing and maybe a bit of an accidental bully. Reminds me of someone I know.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mossyfisk posted:

So, we finally got around to watching The Final Frontier.

He was a fan! Strongly praised the direction and performances (except the romulan counsel of course, because she was awful). I asked him for a rating so far;
I, IV, V, II, III

And good god, the sheer difference in shot composition between this and the others is shocking. Every scene is visually interesting, and some of the camera work really stands out. And it makes so much difference to have Shatner actually care for once, it felt like Kirk was really present instead of a bored Shatner. And that carries on to the rest of the cast too, great jobs all round.

I'm going to say it, V is my favourite Star Trek film, and I don't understand why it's so disliked. The themes are strong and well presented, character dynamics come alive, and it feels so much more authentic to the TV show than the others.

It even has starships presented at differing angles!

I think V is just disliked because of the dumb ending. It's a fun movie up to the end.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol the mildly disdainful looks the aliens give Riker as he hits on a hologram right in front of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012