Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

also this atlantic article about a modern slave made me tear up at my desk
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/lolas-story/524490/

It seems like the author just kinda handwaves away a few decades at some point. I didn't go back and count but it's like "Oh we were a struggling new immigrant family that didn't understand what we were doing, and at 13 I realized my parents enslaved this woman and then whoops everyone's dying of old age."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

VectorSigma posted:

i think some anime is terrible, which is expected since tastes vary. to say all anime is terrible is folly, and the likely view of either a philistine or contrarian.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shovelbum posted:

hmmm yes ship em all to the cities worked for the indians

oh no not the rich cultural heritage of the white redneck, oh lordy we all know how they wouldn't be able to adapt to a foreign culture

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

haljordan posted:

Does Spicey get fired before or after Donnie's trip

trump doesn't fire people to their faces, so he's going to send a letter back in the middle of his trip so he doesn't have to look the person he's kicking out in the eye

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
akira is very good

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
glad i can rest easy, safe in the knowledge that the president is a massive loving idiot

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

*points at old quarry filled with toxic sludge* I cannot be removed from the land of my forefathers

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:siren: extremely important news

https://twitter.com/uscapitol/status/864564252702650370

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
i dont like anime. because its v bad

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

lol they think he's too dumb to have leaked anything important

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/864551305435426817

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssss

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ive always wondered if they were named after this song

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
the only good anime is zelda botw

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

oh no not the rich cultural heritage of the white redneck, oh lordy we all know how they wouldn't be able to adapt to a foreign culture

*traps ppl in generational poverty without social support structures and inherited arable farmland*

hmmm yes gently caress trump

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The U.S. and Europe have made a dramatic shift towards clean energy and both have a track record of building stuff that doesn't explode/collapse on a regular basis unlike glorious China.

i have unfortunate news re: united states bridges

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

hey the system works

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Agean90 posted:

the onion isn't satire anymore

http://www.theonion.com/article/hard-times-hit-springsteenville-19921

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MAQA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

im glad they are making DC more accessable

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

mods

Apr 7, 2003

shovelbum posted:

*traps ppl in generational poverty without social support structures and inherited arable farmland*

Much of the white working class that voted for Trump is doing perfectly okay. They're angry about a white national identity disappearing, which is where the "immigration" issue comes from.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mister magpie posted:

sean spicer is paid to be wh advocate but is he a true believer

spicer is definitely not a true believer which is why he's so loving bad at this

he is constantly trying to save the administration from themselves wrt willful disinformation by being as noncommittal as possible. Kellyanne isn't a true believer, but she has no scruples and occupies an unimportant enough position that she can freely parrot whatever the admin tells her. She could never do what she does as press sec because there's too much scrutiny, they can just make her disappear when she does or says something that goes too far.

I think Sanders is a true believer though and that is probably why she's never going to be the person doing Spicer's job

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

quote:

In Dec. 2009, then-President Obama welcomed Erdogan, then the prime minister, to the White House. Obama at the time lauded Turkey for its commitment to rule of law and minority rights, and stressed the strategic relationship between the two countries.

Much has changed in the last several years however. Erdogan is now president, and has carried out a crackdown on opposition politicians and journalists (to read through remarks between Obama and Erdogan over Obama’s eight years in office is to watch the word “friend” quietly be removed from official rhetoric). Obama was succeeded by Trump.
TRUMP!

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rear end cobra posted:

careful you might just alienate the sad loser demographic with posts like these

e:d balls quoted the wrong psot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Joementum posted:

dozens intl spies, operations involving thousands of us troops compromised, so what

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shovelbum posted:

lmao you realize that's literally what rural areas are now right?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:3:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Yinlock posted:

They're falling down because they're old. "Old" implies that they've managed to not collapse.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

im glad they are making DC more accessable

I guess you only care when your constituency benefits from the pork barrel projects.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dijon mustard on burger

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Citizen Tayne posted:

Much of the white working class that voted for Trump is doing perfectly okay. They're angry about a white national identity disappearing, which is where the "immigration" issue comes from.

a whole lot of white suburban middle and upper middle class people voted for him because they're FYGM rear end in a top hat, too

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

tenderjerk posted:

we had a discussion earlier on Animes That are Actually Good

Kids On The Slope

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LPJcrgUQMY

Apr 7, 2003

Agean90 posted:

The town I grew up in had the municipal building's gas shut off for not paying and they can't get a loan from anyone. It really owns and I'm super excited to watch it rot into the dirt in my lifetime.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

this is old but I would still like to say

https://twitter.com/jacobkornbluh/status/864508532447735809

lol

*is Muhammad* "I'm going to be dating her in *looks at sundial* right now, can you believe it?

I need a Trump lecture series on all religions so badly. It would be just fantastic.

imagine him struggling to figure out if its sicks or sykes, switching between them at random, then eventually just settling on calling them the turban guys

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

PostNouveau posted:

It seems like the author just kinda handwaves away a few decades at some point. I didn't go back and count but it's like "Oh we were a struggling new immigrant family that didn't understand what we were doing, and at 13 I realized my parents enslaved this woman and then whoops everyone's dying of old age."

i kind of agree. i think they could have fleshed out the period between the father leaving the family and "whoops everyone's dying of old age" better but i think it's probable that the author was off living his life in that period

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm eating baby duck right now.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

The coal mines where I grew up were shut down in the 40s

people in anthracite country are waiting for their grandpa's job to come back lol

Not really. They're pissed off and spiteful, but the rage isn't directed anywhere useful. After Knox everyone knew anthracite wasn't going to come back.

But those textile mills and other industrial plants that took advantage of the semiskilled labor in the 60s, that left in the 80s and 90s in the early waves of offshoring? Yeah, people are still sore about that.

My grandfather went from being an engineer with a company car to a janitor after his job was sent down south in the mid-80s.

People remember that kind of thing, and nearly everyone up there has someone in their family like that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yinlock posted:

as much as their maintenance is woefully ignored, US bridges are extremely good when they're built, compared to China where things are v corrupt at times and you get some party official giving the job to his brother who supplies cheap bad concrete and they pocket the difference or whatever

Not that China is all bad it's just there​s a greater chance of a given project having wildly corrupt and dangerous practices, compared to the US

Also for all his authoritarian faults Xi is actually clamping down pretty brutally on this kind of behavior so that's something i guess

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Let's start the Spicer firing pool

I bet he's gone by Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

rural poverty at least means you generally have family around and can grow your own food tho its superior to tenements and slums imo

• Locked thread