Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Palpek posted:

Nah, it's making 3 out of 5 helicopter dad decisions. It doesn't depend on 1 choice.

I looked it up and basically that's the one that moved me from the ending I probably would've wanted to the bad one, and it's the only one I didn't make for RP reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Red Steel 2 is a good wild west game that also features magic samurai

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

witcher ciri is the good ending. it's good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

witcher ciri is not the ending you get for being a helicopter parent and/or bad dad

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh i wasn't sure because it's been like two years

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

I looked it up and basically that's the one that moved me from the ending I probably would've wanted to the bad one, and it's the only one I didn't make for RP reasons.
Ah, I get it now. I have to tell you though that I really enjoyed the bad ending. It's the best directed/written one imo (the Crone taunting Geralt was ruthless) and I haven't really seen something like that properly pulled off in an AAA production.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ometeotl posted:

I didn't play Red Steel 2, but there's no way its better than the samurai western classic, Samurai Western

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

Ah, I get it now. I have to tell you though that I really enjoyed the bad ending. It's the best directed/written one imo (the Crone taunting Geralt was ruthless) and I haven't really seen something like that properly pulled off in an AAA production.

Yeah it's a good bad ending, but it's obviously not satisfying to me as I played a nice Geralt who has hope for the future instead of the facile cynic he's probably more like in the books.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Does God Hand count as a western?

Lurdiak posted:

Bury me with my money.

http://burymewithmymoney.com/

tap my mountain posted:

I didn't play Red Steel 2, but there's no way its better than the samurai western classic, Samurai Western

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSfmVvHg8k

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it's a good bad ending, but it's obviously not satisfying to me as I played a nice Geralt who has hope for the future instead of the facile cynic he's probably more like in the books.
Geralt in the books has a long character arc - he starts off not wanting to personally get involved with anything because the world is poo poo but slowly lets his guard down for some people and ends up developing relationships with them (among them are Yen and Ciri). I'd say it's one of the main themes of the saga. I never really felt that the game Geralt was much different from the end-of-book-saga Geralt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

Geralt in the books has a long character arc - he starts off not wanting to personally get involved with anything because the world is poo poo but slowly lets his guard down for some people and ends up developing relationships with them (among them are Yen and Ciri). I'd say it's one of the main themes of the saga. I never really felt that the game Geralt was much different from the end-of-book-saga Geralt.

Well my point is that there's a lot of ways to play game Geralt, even if he stays Geralt-y throughout. I constantly went for diplomacy and optimism, if I was more of an angry cynic unhappy with his life a bad ending might've felt more appropriate.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

tap my mountain posted:

Where does Rising Zan fall into this equation?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is there ever a downside to asking for more contract money. i thought i heard there wasn't but i didn't do it anyway to be nice. and every time the peasant would say

"and peoples say witcher's got 'earts what ain't not been knackered, cor"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was thinking it's impressive how good RDR's open world was since wild west just makes me think of like barren plains/brown rocks/tumbleweed

has anyone managed to make a fun video game desert yet

e: i guess the gerudo stuff in botw was pretty good

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I liked BotW's desert

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

I was thinking it's impressive how good RDR's open world was since wild west just makes me think of like barren plains/brown rocks/tumbleweed

Does Journey count?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Breath of the Wild tried by letting you surf around the desert tethered to a sand seal but sadly even that couldn't make the desert truly good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtiHla1dNg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:allears: should have sent a poet

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah the way they handle which ending you get mechanically is pretty bad, and it's not even thematically consistent with the way choices work either (or which events do/don't count). It's just kinda strangely handled by comparison to the rest of the series.

I've heard from a few people the DLCs are a lot better than the base main quest so I'll have to get on that ~eventually~.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The new Humble Bundle has SteamWorld Heist, Kentucky Route Zero and Owlboy in it. It's pretty good: https://www.humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-18

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

is there ever a downside to asking for more contract money. i thought i heard there wasn't but i didn't do it anyway to be nice. and every time the peasant would say

Not unless you count having to do the boring negotiation mini-game as a downside.

The in-game economy's really hosed to be honest. Doing a contract is several times less lucrative than killing 3 bandits and selling their swords.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah the way they handle which ending you get mechanically is pretty bad, and it's not even thematically consistent with the way choices work either (or which events do/don't count). It's just kinda strangely handled by comparison to the rest of the series.

I've heard from a few people the DLCs are a lot better than the base main quest so I'll have to get on that ~eventually~.

Some of those DLC quest are incredibly well-written! Although I found most of the new monsters in Toussaint were just kind of annoying to fight since they tend to block, back away or stunlock you a lot more than regular ones.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

oddium posted:

Depends on the quest I think but it seemed like most of the time if you went over the meter that represented their patience for haggling they would just default back to the original price.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Where does Rising Zan fall into this equation?

It's definitely got a higher camp score but there's no way it beats the fun of Samurai Western

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns has a rpetty cool one

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

tap my mountain posted:

It's definitely got a higher camp score but there's no way it beats the fun of Samurai Western

Fair enough. Has anyone else played Samurai Western or think we're just throwing a fake game name around?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Western

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

A large chunk of Horizon is desert.

The desert parts of Zelda games are usually the best.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gunslinger is a really great Wild West FPS. People who like the recent-ish revival of the FPS genre with its Dooms and Wolfensteins should give it a go.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Jour... ney?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Help Im Alive posted:

Mad Max has some gorgeous deserts and so many different ones!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Super Mario 3 unless you really hate that sun

E: do Egypt levels count as deserts?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FF12 is 85% gorgeous desert, 15% sandstorms

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSIklpnKU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ikF-07erPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sNxv7lVzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFYjSkUdfb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DoNJ_oecLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFPA0QN1eOo

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Ometeotl posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the first red steel game is good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I've been watching the Sopranos during my downtime at work (while also playing Mario Kart on the switch) and I just found out they made a video game tie in and I kind of want to play it even though there's a 0% chance that it's any good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

FF12 is 85% gorgeous desert, 15% sandstorms

Oh poo poo good point

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
BotW had a really good desert because it actually felt hostile and vast, and not just "it's hot, yipes" but it actually got super cold if you were out at night. Ya know, like deserts do.

Of course, it still had a lot of empty land but at least you could race across it with an adorable sand lion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

I've been watching the Sopranos during my downtime at work (while also playing Mario Kart on the switch) and I just found out they made a video game tie in and I kind of want to play it even though there's a 0% chance that it's any good.

From the 20 minutes I saw some dudes play it's at least got some interesting ideas in it story-wise, if not so much mechanically.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
PS4 vs xbone, which has won yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but a black police officer, so it's okay

OK if you spend your time hunting White Nationalists and "sovereign citizens" then I might be able to get behind this.

I would actually be okay with Justified: The Game the more I think about it

• Locked thread