Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

hm yes pointing out context IS the same thing as saying the ussr never made a mistake, right you are posters

I'm literally always correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
My mistake he totally was excusing atrocities but he wasn't saying the USSR made a mistake, my apologies tankie mod!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

My mistake he totally was excusing atrocities but he wasn't saying the USSR made a mistake, my apologies tankie mod!

i was referring to the specific policies mentioned by the person i was quoting i.e. appeasement and the non-aggression pact. this is a topic for another thread. also you're a tremendous moron

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Sorry Mr Brar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

R. Guyovich posted:

i was referring to the specific policies mentioned by the person i was quoting i.e. appeasement and the non-aggression pact. this is a topic for another thread. also you're a tremendous moron

You had a thread for it and you came off like an idiot

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

You had a thread for it and you came off like an idiot

that's not what the thread was for. it is time to shut the gently caress up about this now

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Jose posted:

Shame about the gulags eh?

And all the German Communists Stalin sent to Hitler

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
Stalin did nothing wrong

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

that's not what the thread was for. it is time to shut the gently caress up about this now

so much for the toleratn left

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dabir posted:

Irl lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tankie or not I still appreciate the unilateral intervention to prevent the previous posting atrocity ITT.

I'm sure that chilcot 2032 will find the evidence presented to the IK politburo to be credible regarding terrible American centrists' ability to launch waffles of mass distraction at UKMT.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dabir posted:

lmao

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dabir posted:

Nice.

Tomorrow is constitution day in Norway and everyone gets a day off and there's parties and parades and things, and also strawberries are really cheap to celebrate (I think because they are red, like Norway?).

I think it's about time the UK had a constitution so we could get one of those extra bank holidays Corbyn was talking about for it. Can't really think of an appropriate fruit though. Maybe a really bent banana to annoy those fruit bigots in Brussels?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

New constitutional British banana:

E: posting photos on a phone is hard

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 16, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So how does former Chancellor, all round drug hoover and current editor of the Evening Standard see the Labour manifesto?

https://twitter.com/RufusHound/status/864501302637854721

Oh

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
That is factually incorrect - Parliament has been dissolved and there are no sitting MPs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

Tomorrow is constitution day in Norway and everyone gets a day off and there's parties and parades and things, and also strawberries are really cheap to celebrate (I think because they are red, like Norway?).

I think it's about time the UK had a constitution so we could get one of those extra bank holidays Corbyn was talking about for it. Can't really think of an appropriate fruit though. Maybe a really bent banana to annoy those fruit bigots in Brussels?
I like the idea of the UK having a more formal constitution and guarantee of rights that can't just be overwritten by a simple majority, but under the current government it would be Get Yourself To A Workhouse And Work For Free You Pleb Scum Day and wouldn't be much of a holiday.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Hi i'm stalin. I'm going to stitch up and destroy the spanish revolution because i don't want to annoy france whose support i desire, but who definitely doesn't want a genuinely revolutionary state living next door lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The unironic use of "better off". It's two steps from unironic use of "person of good breeding".

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So how does former Chancellor, all round drug hoover and current editor of the Evening Standard see the Labour manifesto?

https://twitter.com/RufusHound/status/864501302637854721

Oh

Clearly I'm not the intended audience, because my reaction to this headline is 'gently caress Yeah!'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's pretty good propaganda, I'd vote for him based on that alone.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
R Bitchovitch

E: guyobitch

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Hi i'm stalin. I'm going to stitch up and destroy the spanish revolution because i don't want to annoy france whose support i desire, but who definitely doesn't want a genuinely revolutionary state living next door lmao

Hi

Dabir posted:

Lol

jabby posted:

Clearly I'm not the intended audience, because my reaction to this headline is 'gently caress Yeah!'
The intended audience seems to be people who want a free paper

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I guess most editors must be on over 80k, because no newspaper that I can see has a positive headline about Labour's manifesto tomorrow. The Guardian has gone with McLusky saying Labour will do well to get 200 seats, and the Mirror with Brady.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean at least half of the countries newspapers are owned by 2 rich people

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

I guess most editors must be on over 80k, because no newspaper that I can see has a positive headline about Labour's manifesto tomorrow. The Guardian has gone with McLusky saying Labour will do well to get 200 seats, and the Mirror with Brady.

The guardian is now running editorials praising the Tories and saying people are too hard on them. Leftist papers are now: Morning Star, The Mirror. And I don't think more than 10 people buy either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guardian was never lefty, though it serves as a really good case study for how liberal papers work.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dabir posted:

post of the year

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

The guardian is now running editorials praising the Tories and saying people are too hard on them. Leftist papers are now: Morning Star, The Mirror. And I don't think more than 10 people buy either.

Yep. Their top story most of the day has been 'Union Leader's Comments Overshadow Manifesto', in a classic case of writing an article about how crazy it is that a minor bit of news overshadowed a major bit of news because they chose to write about the minor news instead.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Party Boat posted:

The most favorable way I can read that is that if >20% of your decisions are overturned at reconsideration then you go into the low performing group i.e. it's a measure for the original assessor, not the person doing the reconsideration.

This is potentially the case, judging by a random comment on the Freedom of Information request:

quote:

"I was part of a review team and this is slightly misleading. It's not siding with DWP, tge target is 80% of original decisions should be...upheld. If the KPI isn't met, it's not the review team under scrutiny, it's the original decision makers"

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Namtab posted:

I mean at least half of the countries newspapers are owned by 2 rich people

That may not last forever if Labour ever get into power:

"Local newspapers and broadcasting
in Britain are an important part
of our democracy and culture.
We are concerned about closures
of local media outlets and the
reductions in number of local
journalists. Labour will hold a
national review local media
and into the ownership of
national media to ensure plurality."

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Just saw that Corbyn Facebook Live ambush thing. There is no way Corbyn's team of six months ago would have pulled a stunt like that and come out the winner, they would have misspelled the hashtag or some stupid poo poo. Thank gently caress for spin doctors.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Namtab posted:

The intended audience seems to be people who want a free paper

people who are commuting to zone 5 and want a couple of sudoku to pass the time

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Independent seems to be publishing a lot of pro Corbyn/Labour stuff at the moment, though I don't buy it so I only see the articles people link online

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
wait is the Independent online only lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to recall it was whingeing about tax or something on the news stand the other day.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hoops posted:

Just saw that Corbyn Facebook Live ambush thing. There is no way Corbyn's team of six months ago would have pulled a stunt like that and come out the winner, they would have misspelled the hashtag or some stupid poo poo. Thank gently caress for spin doctors.

Corbyn knows if you want to get rid of some pesky image issues, you go to a Stalinist

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I would like to think the Guardian's editorial team were nodding along with the manifesto right up until the moment that Corbyn started to mention that something had to be done about a job market flooded with unpaid interns, at which point they looked out at their news desks and wondered how they would fill them if they had to pay their staff.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Prince John posted:

This is potentially the case, judging by a random comment on the Freedom of Information request:

Interesting, thanks. I'm generally wary of drawing conclusions from the snippets of information you tend to get from FOIs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Corbyn knows if you want to get rid of some pesky image issues, you go to a Stalinist

A dangerous hot take itt, friend

• Locked thread