Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want a snake that barfs out tiny snakes like a confetti launcher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sotek and his disciples are basically just Coca-Cola Corp., but for dispensing snakes instead of sugar drinks.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The missing units (although there aren't many of them!) are screaming out for a 'Rise of Sotek' DLC + mini campaign against the Skaven.

I'm almost tempted to :toxx: for that being the exact name of the DLC, but I'm chicken.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trying out the VCs, pretty fun so far. Am I missing something or is spreading vampiric corruption super important for expansion? Because it seems really painful to do any serious invasion of non-corrupted territory.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vlex posted:

The missing units (although there aren't many of them!) are screaming out for a 'Rise of Sotek' DLC + mini campaign against the Skaven.

I'm almost tempted to :toxx: for that being the exact name of the DLC, but I'm chicken.

A major aspect of lizard lore is how lovely those rear end in a top hat skaven were. They were so lovely they came up with a whole new god just for them! I'd love a mini campaign of rats v lizzies.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pellisworth posted:

Trying out the VCs, pretty fun so far. Am I missing something or is spreading vampiric corruption super important for expansion? Because it seems really painful to do any serious invasion of non-corrupted territory.

You're not missing anything. Corruption is the worst part of the VC campaign. Last I checked, most people advocated for building tall after taking your neighbouring vampires' territories while you let your corruption spread.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

You're not missing anything. Corruption is the worst part of the VC campaign. Last I checked, most people advocated for building tall after taking your neighbouring vampires' territories while you let your corruption spread.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, cleaned up the rest of the vampires in the first 10-15 turns then I realized I need to build the +corruption line in my province capitals to push corruption to neighboring provinces before I did much more expanding.

What's the threshhold to not take attrition? 50%?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To be fair, Warhammer art typically shows everyone and everything charging into a giant scrum, if it's a battle scene.
I mean, it's what they were designed for. They'd get more impact hits than your typical chariot and at a higher strength on a tougher model. The ranged weapons were an afterthought. The giant bow, for example, was just a weaker bolt thrower. It wasn't going to hit much on the move and a stationary stegadon was a waste.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, cleaned up the rest of the vampires in the first 10-15 turns then I realized I need to build the +corruption line in my province capitals to push corruption to neighboring provinces before I did much more expanding.

It needs to be 50%+ of YOUR particularly corruption. Humanity, for example, faces attrition in a province that is 33% chaos and 33% vampire.

A good idea is to make sure every Lord gets the +corruption blue line traits since they'll need it they conquer and there's always places to corrupt.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

peer posted:

I wish shieldless infantry units would have some kind of advantage over the shielded versions, instead of just being worse in every way.

Well if you're facing factions with little or no ranged they are more effective by means of being cheaper and just as good, so there's that I guess.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pellisworth posted:

You don't take attrition damage besieging settlements and vlad doesn't need siege engines to attack. You can mop up a fair bit of those empire settlements early on while taking minimal or no attrition.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
killing rebels is free xp

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Jamwad Hilder posted:

killing rebels is free xp

and loots

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

You don't take attrition damage besieging settlements and vlad doesn't need siege engines to attack. You can mop up a fair bit of those empire settlements early on while taking minimal or no attrition.

I'm playing as Mannfred right now but thanks, good to know.

And yeah I figured out pretty early it's better to just let rebels spawn if you have an army nearby, easy XP.

I started the quest for Mannfred's special sword and it wants me to send an army wayyy south to Bilgewater. Is that worth doing because it'd tie up an army for like 10-15 turns

Thanks for the tips!

Edit: what would be a good way to start as Vlad/Isabella? Declare war on Mannfred a couple turns in, park a weak army somewhat near his castle of Drakenhof and a strong army lying in ambush to lure him out? It seems the AI is pretty easy to lure into traps.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 16, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pellisworth posted:

I'm playing as Mannfred right now but thanks, good to know.

And yeah I figured out pretty early it's better to just let rebels spawn if you have an army nearby, easy XP.

I started the quest for Mannfred's special sword and it wants me to send an army wayyy south to Bilgewater. Is that worth doing because it'd tie up an army for like 10-15 turns

Thanks for the tips!

You can select a quest and click a button to teleport straight to the battle for a fee. You should also get the instant quest battle mod, to skip the crap where you need to loot a province halfway across the map.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Constantine XI posted:

Well if you're facing factions with little or no ranged they are more effective by means of being cheaper and just as good, so there's that I guess.

Don't shielded variants get more melee defense as well?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Don't shielded variants get more melee defense as well?

They do, but it's still usually not cost effective to go shields against Vampires or whatever. Like you can literally buy an unshielded Empire Spearman and rank him up four times for 410 gp total and that's literally just a better unit if ranged fire isn't a concern.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So if I'm not mistaken, it looks like Lizardmen will be a faction with several units who are essentially elephants from the historical total war games. loving wrecking balls that can backfire and wreck your own lines if you're not careful. Or something? Either way, LIZARDS RIDING DINOSAURS WITH LASER CANNONS :hellyeah:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Pellisworth posted:

You can completely ignore vampiric corruption. Just abuse raise dead and keep conquering. You'll have rebellions but rebellions are good for you since they give essentially free Gold/XP/Loot so.

ChickenWing posted:

You can build tall on VC but it's a bit of a waste when they are the easiest faction to expand with. Vampiric corruption is not a big deal at all since you can just avoid attrition by besieging or using raiding stance.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 16, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The best way to get more vampiric corruption is to conquer places and build corruption buildings in them, and kill the rebellions that crop up while your corruption grows enough to beat the peasants down.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks all

Another vampire newbie question: I've been having a lot of fun so thinking of picking up the expansion that adds VC special regiments and Helman Ghorst as a lord.

Ghorst grants his army poison attacks. What does poison do, exactly? Does it affect undead? I'm also not sure how good crypt ghouls are, they have poison. There are also goblin and I'm guessing many other units with poison, it's just not clear to me what that actually does.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pellisworth posted:

Thanks all

Another vampire newbie question: I've been having a lot of fun so thinking of picking up the expansion that adds VC special regiments and Helman Ghorst as a lord.

Ghorst grants his army poison attacks. What does poison do, exactly? Does it affect undead? I'm also not sure how good crypt ghouls are, they have poison. There are also goblin and I'm guessing many other units with poison, it's just not clear to me what that actually does.

Poison causes an across the board debuff to the units stats. It's the same regardless of the unit dealing or receiving it.

In particular, it slows and tires out the target, making poison units good at chasing down fleeing enemies

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Thanks all

If you mouse over it on a unit that has it, it should tell you (there's a little icon on the unit card next to their melee attack or missile damage stat), but it applies the following for ten seconds on hit:
-18% AP Damage (Missile and Melee)
-22% Damage (Missile and Melee)
-24% Speed
-18% Vigour

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Thanks all

Poison is a powerful debuff that nerfs unit speed, damage, ect. It's very potent and no units are immune to it's effect.

That said, unless it changed at some point Ghorst's armywide poison is a watered down version that's actually not great. I might check on that in a minute.

Ghorst is still a decent LL in singleplayer though, he can get a 20% research buff very early and his special corpse cart and unique summon are both pretty nice.

Edit: Double Checked, and they never did fix Ghorst's weaker poison overriding actual poison for units in his army. Which is dumb, given that Skarsnik can give his whole army real poison for a skill point. Ghorst apparently grants a larger speed debuff though, -36% instead of -24% from normal poison.

Ghorst isn't bad though, it's just better to start with Mannfred or Kemmler and then absorb 10 times to unlock him as a super early second lord. The DLC also gives Strigoi Ghoul Kings, which are awesome.

madmac fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kainser posted:

You can completely ignore vampiric corruption. Just abuse raise dead and keep conquering. You'll have rebellions but rebellions are good for you since they give essentially free Gold/XP/Loot so.

You can build tall on VC but it's a bit of a waste when they are the easiest faction to expand with. Vampiric corruption is not a big deal at all since you can just avoid attrition by besieging or using raiding stance.

The Von Carsteins LP is a good example of how to build on the map imo. It's mostly building tall and using a vassalized vampire faction to do the wide spread for you, as well as be a norscan/chaos buffer. Vampires are interesting because they can be just as diplomatically focused as an empire campaign.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ok cool, thanks. I had kind of ignored crypt ghouls because I assumed undead were immune to poison (why wouldn't they be??) and your starting enemies are other vampires. I'll have to try them out!

It sounds like poison would be really good support for shutting down stronger units.

Nasgate posted:

The Von Carsteins LP is a good example of how to build on the map imo. It's mostly building tall and using a vassalized vampire faction to do the wide spread for you, as well as be a norscan/chaos buffer. Vampires are interesting because they can be just as diplomatically focused as an empire campaign.

could you link me to that please?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Get the dlc that adds regiments of renown. VC have very good ones that are fun and good and fun. In fact they're all good... Except maybe greenskins, which are just ok

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Get the dlc that adds regiments of renown. VC have very good ones that are fun and good and fun. In fact they're all good... Except maybe greenskins, which are just ok

Yeah I just picked that up. Kind of feel like restarting, my Mannfred game is going alright but I feel like I learned a lot and can do way better with a restart.

Not sure whether to do Ghorst or Isabella. From scoping out the lords, it looks like you can recruit Vlad second turn and Isabella looks to have the cooler faction abilities. Vlad running (slowly, no mount?) around with an all-Vanguard army granting XP to everything, paired with Isabella and a bunch of terrifyingly strong vampire heroes.

Ghorst looks neat but you can pick him up pretty early as Mannfred and maybe his poison army ability isn't that strong? I haven't messed around with the various VC support chariot units really.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ammanas posted:

The K&W DLC gives the Greenskins Nasty Skulkers though, which are a godsend for dealing with the Dwarfs early on. E: and reminder the DLC is currently on sale.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Vlad is the best vampire lord if only for his vanguard deployment ability. It takes so much of the drag of playing VC out of battles, and it doesn't hurt that he's nigh unkillable in melee. Isabella plus a death squad of vampire heroes is also extremely powerful.

I wish it was a lil easier to confederate Mannfred though, his gold mine is essential in the campaign and makes life a ton easier. It's just so much more expedient to simply conquer him.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Ok cool, thanks. I had kind of ignored crypt ghouls because I assumed undead were immune to poison (why wouldn't they be??) and your starting enemies are other vampires. I'll have to try them out!

It sounds like poison would be really good support for shutting down stronger units.

could you link me to that please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814687

The Von Carsteins play a little differently. She starts with two vampire heroes to cast and wreck face, and Vlad is a literal one man army. Mannfred benefits more from leadership/casting because he's not really tougher than your average vamp lord, but his puppy more than makes up for it.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Poison is a powerful debuff that nerfs unit speed, damage, ect. It's very potent and no units are immune to it's effect.

That said, unless it changed at some point Ghorst's armywide poison is a watered down version that's actually not great. I might check on that in a minute.

Ghorst is still a decent LL in singleplayer though, he can get a 20% research buff very early and his special corpse cart and unique summon are both pretty nice.

Edit: Double Checked, and they never did fix Ghorst's weaker poison overriding actual poison for units in his army. Which is dumb, given that Skarsnik can give his whole army real poison for a skill point. Ghorst apparently grants a larger speed debuff though, -36% instead of -24% from normal poison.

Ghorst isn't bad though, it's just better to start with Mannfred or Kemmler and then absorb 10 times to unlock him as a super early second lord. The DLC also gives Strigoi Ghoul Kings, which are awesome.

I made a mod for this ages ago that gives Ghorst real poison for his army: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763095291 if anybody cares about a tiny thing like that.. i did.. i guess.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I'm subbed to that mod, like every other one of yours. Plz mod for game 2, thx friend.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gejnor posted:

I made a mod for this ages ago that gives Ghorst real poison for his army: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763095291 if anybody cares about a tiny thing like that.. i did.. i guess.

I did and stomped over my blighted foes :black101:

Really the only Vampire lord that is 'meh' is Kemmler because Mannfred is a melee monster+caster in one, Vlad gives vanguard to your whole army which lets you rofflestomp so many encounters, and Isabella can supercharge vampires and Vargheists.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Subbed. Most of my favorite mods are for tiny things exactly like that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nasgate posted:

Vlad is a literal one man army.

He really is. I had him solo an entire town garrison very early in the game, before he was levelled up much or decked out with gear

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I'm subbed to that mod, like every other one of yours. Plz mod for game 2, thx friend.

Agreed. I use (nearly) all his mods religiously. Thanks Gejnor!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think one of the most satisfying things in this game may be burning the entire wood elf forest to the ground one city at a time. :black101:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Appreciating that they're keeping the core Lizardmen weakness of "you will have all day to try to shoot us to death." Interested by the berserk thing.

Mechanically in the tabletop Saurus had the Predatory Fighter rule; when you broke an enemy unit, a normal unit could pick whether it wanted to try to pursue and rout them, or reform. Saurus, unless being lead by a Skink who made a leadership check, did not have a choice. They pursued as fast as they were able. Which was not very fast. A block of saurus infantry, while capable of going toe-to-toe with any other line infantry in the game and a decent number of elite infantry, could be baited out of position, flanked, and stomped if you had the foresight to feed them a couple of sacrificial chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

One of the few legitimately good rules decisions Games Workshop ever made was about the Poisoned special rule. A bunch of people raised on D&D 3.5 and its "well of course you can't critical strike a zombie, where are its vital points" school of game design asked why the hell would a poisoned sword work the same on a mummy, a pile of living wood, and a horribly mutated once-human supersoldier.

"The rule doesn't make any sense if entire factions are immune to it. if it makes you feel better: these people have been at war with each other for a very long time. assume that when the Skinks see they're fighting demons they put away the neurotoxin darts and get out the holy water darts."

Along this school of thought, assume that prior to undead-on-undead warfare, Mannfred orders his ghouls to wash their dinner down with some delicious bone hurting juice.

• Locked thread