Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's a cultured neo-fascist, like Richard Spencer. He owns a piano. And a painting of Goethe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
He has a very bashable face.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Edouard Philippe's beard shows he's an energetic executive and confident in his manliness.

That's just embarrassing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's not even a good beard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"The west as a hole", as in, he'd turn western countries into a smoking crater.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

lmao

Imagine being a journo trying to find an angle for the nomination story and landing on 'first bearded PM'

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

lost in postation posted:

lmao

Imagine being a journo trying to find an angle for the nomination story and landing on 'first bearded PM'

Well, it could have been worse, isn't it. Imagine if Philippe didn't even have the beard.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

"The west as a hole", as in, he'd turn western countries into a smoking crater.

i think he means "as a-hole" actually. :shittydog:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MiddleOne posted:

That would require the state taking an active responsibility for basic human necessities which is not how the market fundamentalists of most of Europe's centre-left parties want to do things. It's the market or nothing.

drat. Has any nation done what I suggested?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Austria didn't want to be left out of the electoral fun so it's going to have an election in October:

https://twitter.com/kleinezeitung/status/864481143760048129

Another wonderful opportunity for the peoples of Europe to reject right wing nationalist politics!

The current state of play is:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/864397841015373824

That's yer bog-standard European social democratic party on 28%, yer bog-standard European christian democrat/center right party on 28%, and your definitely-not-pining-for-the-days-of-the-SS nationalists on 26%.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 16, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Austria didn't want to be left out of the electoral fun so it's going to have an election in October:

https://twitter.com/kleinezeitung/status/864481143760048129

Another wonderful opportunity for the peoples of Europe to reject right wing nationalist politics!

The current state of play is:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/864397841015373824

That's yer bog-standard European social democratic party on 28%, yer bog-standard European christian democrat/center right party on 28%, and your definitely-not-pining-for-the-days-of-the-SS nationalists on 26%.

ÖVP is now New ÖVP, which has handed total control of all important party function to Sebastian Kurz - a 30year old who might become the next chancellor of Austria and is well known for his very refugee unfriendly stance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wouldnt austrians pin for the dolfuss days, and his tiny mussolini ways

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The most pertinent question is - how often will they vote until it counts?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Also, while I'm mindlessly regurgitating stuff from Twitter, lol:
https://twitter.com/Poulin2012/status/864465843450769409
I guess the sultan don't gently caress around when he's intent on violating your airspace.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Greek Mirages have shot down Turkish F-16 before, they could do so again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

ÖVP is now New ÖVP, which has handed total control of all important party function to Sebastian Kurz - a 30year old who might become the next chancellor of Austria and is well known for his very refugee unfriendly stance.

The most fascinating thing about Kurz is that he has literally no experience outside of politics. Like the guy didn't even finish his law degree and there's not even a token job or two. I thought the bar literally couldn't get any lower on young and attractive former youth party leaders with a huge support in their local district getting slingshotted into positions of power but apparently I was wrong.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
BIG NEWS IN MANUEL VALLS' CONSTITUENCY

https://twitter.com/EssonneInfo/status/864419428506664961

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

i can't stop laughing

Valls is going to get even fewer votes than a has-been singer who's been a joke for more than 20 years at this point, isn't he?

Delicious.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Add another big meanie to the list

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

What makes it for me is that he's pushing a key.

OK hold on, I'll go from the other side. Umm, can you hold this for me? No, no, don't pull me. Do you know how much this thing costs? OK, almost there. Yeah I'll just now lie down, and... maybe prop my legs up? How's that look? All right, ready! Tonnnn

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"You ever heard the joke about the 12-inch pianist? Well, hey, I'm bigger than that already!"

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The most fascinating thing about Kurz is that he has literally no experience outside of politics. Like the guy didn't even finish his law degree and there's not even a token job or two. I thought the bar literally couldn't get any lower on young and attractive former youth party leaders with a huge support in their local district getting slingshotted into positions of power but apparently I was wrong.

So just like Swedish politicians, irrespective of party then? Gabriel Wikstrom comes to mind.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

What makes it for me is that he's pushing a key.

OK hold on, I'll go from the other side. Umm, can you hold this for me? No, no, don't pull me. Do you know how much this thing costs? OK, almost there. Yeah I'll just now lie down, and... maybe prop my legs up? How's that look? All right, ready! Tonnnn

If I wanted to be fair to the guy, I would add that he does appear to be a reasonably accomplished piano player and this photo was apparently staged for some music magazine, but he's basically a xenophobic reactionary and a darling of the extreme right, so I don't. Besides, the photo does communicate a certain existential truth about him, which is why everybody in the Netherlands uses it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

So just like Swedish politicians, irrespective of party then? Gabriel Wikstrom comes to mind.

That's exactly who I had in mind. :v:

'No relevant experience and a history of burning out? Give this man one of the highest positions of responsibility in the country!' - Some idiot in Stockholm

You can also fit Ebba Busch and Gustav Fridolin into this example who are both currently busy killing their respective parties.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

You can also fit Ebba Busch and Gustav Fridolin into this example who are both currently busy killing their respective parties.

Good riddance?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty much.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Pluskut Tukker posted:

If I wanted to be fair to the guy, I would add that he does appear to be a reasonably accomplished piano player and this photo was apparently staged for some music magazine, but he's basically a xenophobic reactionary and a darling of the extreme right, so I don't. Besides, the photo does communicate a certain existential truth about him, which is why everybody in the Netherlands uses it.

Except for the ridiculous pose, the whole photo is very Dutch.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

Except for the ridiculous pose, the whole photo is very Dutch.
The ridiculous pose makes the photo so Dutch. He had so many opportunities in that entire setup to go "no wait this will make me look like a massive loving tool", but neglected to do so. Maybe this is the VOC mentaliteit Balkenende was talking about? Right now he looks like someone drew the outline of a man but forgot to include morals, dignity or a sense of shame. It's the political equivalent of a photo of a king's day reveler pissing in a canal. Blissfully unaware of his own trashiness.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

The ridiculous pose makes the photo so Dutch. He had so many opportunities in that entire setup to go "no wait this will make me look like a massive loving tool", but neglected to do so. Maybe this is the VOC mentaliteit Balkenende was talking about? Right now he looks like someone drew the outline of a man but forgot to include morals, dignity or a sense of shame. It's the political equivalent of a photo of a king's day reveler pissing in a canal. Blissfully unaware of his own trashiness.

I think you may be on to something and that photo would indeed fit rather well with this collection of Dutch people photos (frequently not safe for work, lunch, or even sanity).

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I think you may be on to something and that photo would indeed fit rather well with this collection of Dutch people photos (frequently not safe for work, lunch, or even sanity).

No mullets? So New Kids Turbo was a lie... :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/emmanuel-macron-policies-beliefs-philosophy

quote:

Emmanuel Macron is a centrist to his core
For Macron, there is no such thing as absolute truth, only the multiple journeys that seek it. Like the great French humanist philosopher Montaigne, Macron advocates the need to balance one opinion with another (hence his centrism), and maintaining a certain level of skepticism when assessing knowledge. “It’s what allows influential politics to escape nihilism and all forms of cynicism,” said Macron. “Sole truth, with all the extremism it implies, is not a way out.”

Instead, Macron suggests that we should revel in the perpetual deliberation that accompanies the search for truth, which halts the brash decision-making we sometimes see in politics today. Macron wants to strike the perfect balance between "authoritarianism and political passivity".

quote:

Emmanuel Macron says France is still reeling from the French Revolution
“Democracy is always presented as if it were incomplete, because democracy is not enough by itself,” says Macron, elaborating that there is always something missing in the democratic process; some sort of void.

“In French politics, this absence is the presence of a King, a King whom, fundamentally, I don’t think the French people wanted dead,”
said Macron. “The Revolution dug a deep emotional abyss, one that was imaginary and shared: the King is no more!” According to Macron, since the Revolution France has tried to fill this void, most notably with Napoleon and then Charles de Gaulle, which was only partially successful. “The rest of the time,” said Macron, “French democracy does not manage to fill this void.”

:lol:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
well he's not wrong, the president might has well be a king in french politics

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

And we need to renew with chopping off kings' heads

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
metaphorically speaking

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is that quote recent, or something in his past writings/interviews?

:drat:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

He also said "class corporatism" is bad so it's a wash I guess? Truly a centrist for the ages.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the more that comes out about Macron he doesn't sound like even sound like a centrist....but Fillon's younger brother who happens to not like Russia.

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the more that comes out about Macron he doesn't sound like even sound like a centrist....but Fillon's younger brother who happens to not like Russia.

... who is also not a delusional crook* nor an homophobic traditionalist catholic. We dodged two bullets last election...

*that we know of !

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Europol drinking game: take a shot every time someone mentions decapitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"I'm a centrist, I'm at the center between LR and the Modem."