Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

I have a new theory that the original CART was simply a continuation of F5000. I wonder what the US racing landscape would look like had it survived.

NASCAR definitely wouldn't be as popular because they capitalized on The Split, though it also may not be as stupid as it is now with the dumbass "playoffs". Open wheel would probably be more popular than it is now, though it's hard to imagine how much more. Probably more broadcast TV races and more people in attendance at the oval races with bigger fields.

Though who knows if they would have gone back to a spec series with big tobacco leaving or not. That hurt everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just ordered this guy.

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/f1-tm-in-canada/p-342143.jsf?execution=e3s1

Seems like the framed ones are limited to 750. I'd love that Gilles Villeneuve one and the Jackie One is apparently sigend and $200. loving A, Canada Post. I don't see Lance Stroll being commerated like this anytime soon.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh sorry I was talking about F5000.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Lola F5000 owned, as did Jody Sheckter racing it in a Shadow (same Shadow that ran F1 in the 70s) with a badass #00 livery.

That's a great livery.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Just ordered this guy.

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/f1-tm-in-canada/p-342143.jsf?execution=e3s1

Seems like the framed ones are limited to 750. I'd love that Gilles Villeneuve one and the Jackie One is apparently sigend and $200. loving A, Canada Post. I don't see Lance Stroll being commerated like this anytime soon.

No Piquet. Not interested.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah F5000 pretty much died because CART became the premier open-wheel road racing series in the US.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm pretty sure someone's already mentioned it but in the UK all cigarettes now come in the same black packaging with images of smokers and diseased organs with massive health warnings and the brand in tiny letters somewhere

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Oh sorry I was talking about F5000.

Ah, my bad :downs:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rahal, Andretti, Sullivan, Mears, etc. all had F5000 backgrounds right?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like 90% of the reason I'm into smoking is for aesthetic reasons so if we ever get those ugly plain packs Australia gets I'm quitting in a heartbeat.

What aesthetics are these because I can't think of any positive one?

iospace posted:

I always find it interesting that the two industries in the US that seem to have a lot of smokers are A. medical, and B. restaurant, both of which are industries that require a lot of cleanliness. Like nearly all my coworkers smoke at work.

I know someone said stress, but gently caress, people in the medical field should know how awful smoking is. Why are they giving medical advice?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm pretty sure someone's already mentioned it but in the UK all cigarettes now come in the same black packaging with images of smokers and diseased organs with massive health warnings and the brand in tiny letters somewhere

I love that America actually invented cigarette warnings but we haven't updated them since they got introduced so ours are now by far the smallest warnings you can possibly get in the world.

If you squint, you can just see the warning.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

70s air boxes are so sexy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Rahal, Andretti, Sullivan, Mears, etc. all had F5000 backgrounds right?

Mears was primarily an off-roader, I think. Actually quite a few Californian drivers came up that way, like NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know someone said stress, but gently caress, people in the medical field should know how awful smoking is. Why are they giving medical advice?

Because the understand that smoking is bad for you? Unless you've been a smoker you're really not going to understand the mentality behind it. It's why I kinda laugh at all the anti smoking campaigns but I've known zero people who've quit smoking because of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

Because the understand that smoking is bad for you? Unless you've been a smoker you're really not going to understand the mentality behind it. It's why I kinda laugh at all the anti smoking campaigns but I've known zero people who've quit smoking because of it.

In general I've found that people primarily quit smoking because it gets too expensive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh. I thought Robby Gordon was an exception but I guess it is pretty common.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
http://bo.fiawec.com/assets/ressources/Pdf/2017/24H_Entry_list_16.05.2017.pdf

Full entry list of this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Barrichello is in LMP2 on the same team as Jan Lammers lol.

Bruno Senna is sharing a LMP2 with Nicolas Prost lol.

Don't forget Fisi in the Ferrari GTEs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jan Lammers is still racing?!?!? He had a strange F1 career.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In general I've found that people primarily quit smoking because it gets too expensive.

For me that was part of it but really I also slowly came to the conclusion that I didn't like waking up and feeling like poo poo every day. I don't think anybody truly quits unless they want to because the price was the driver for two years of quit attempts but waking up an realising that I genuinely hated smoking killed the habit overnight.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I rarely drink and don't smoke cigarettes. But you'll take my weed from my cold dead hands.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't smoke.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All this cigarrette talk and still no John Players?

Shame on you.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I love that America actually invented cigarette warnings but we haven't updated them since they got introduced so ours are now by far the smallest warnings you can possibly get in the world.

If you squint, you can just see the warning.

These are what they looks like here, after the seller has pulled back the screens which hide them from plain view

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For those who are interested, Nando was the first one to break 100 laps today, or half the distance of the actual race.

His engine has seen over 500 miles under load and hasn't crapped out on him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Don't smoke.

Or do. Everybody is allowed to make their own choices.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Life is short.

World is a gently caress.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drink and smoke.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah really do. Can someone tell me more abour indycar? Its really good and interesting

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Or do. Everybody is allowed to make their own choices.

I can't even talk, I drink way too much.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Formula 1 One hero James Hunt got it right. Fast cars, booze, cigarretes and women.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dead at 45 or whatever it was

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Formula 1 One hero James Hunt got it right. Fast cars, booze, cigarretes and women.

Dead at 45.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wirth, please

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just lol if you wanna live more in this world.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Have you seen some of thoses girls he was with? I wouldnt have minded hanging around with that

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

:) Good job, keep it up!

Also, why the gently caress is there cigarette chat going? And no Renault Mild Seven livery?!

More importantly to my fellow Canadians...

GET YOUR ASSES TO CANADA POST RIGHJT W UFCKING NOW!!!

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/f1-tm-in-canada.jsf

Check out those framed ones, god drat.

I would except they got Hamilton there as well?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I would except they got Hamilton there as well?

I think they picked him because he's A. one of the top drivers in F1 today, and B. he's won 5 of the last 7 Canadian GPs (6 of the last 9, if you want to go further back).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, I'm not putting Hamilton up on my wall!:colbert:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe good lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That move Sainz pulled out of the pits, going on the grass, is showing up on my facebook feed as I train to work. It was totally retarded. He was on the outside, behind and tries to push past on the grass? You might be quick Carlos but that demonstrates you not thinking and the red mist descending. Not something to be proud of

• Locked thread