Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think if it doesn't pan out for him $-wise, he can probably slide over to musical instrument making/repair
And if that doesn't work, maybe piano tuner!

But seriously,

Mr. Nice! posted:

Who cares use your funbucks to do whatever and then make a meager living doing what you love. You're not going to get rich no matter what you do. Find some joy in your miserable life.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Do something that makes you happy and do it well. Ideally do something that can't easily be outsourced or automated. Nothing matters, chaos reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Delizin posted:

I don't have any delusions about getting rich or even making a living doing gunsmithing. My money making gig is software development for large companies, lately mostly electric utilities. They pay me monthly subscription fees to use software I did awhile back and I have time to pursue other interests.

This school is mostly about getting the VA to subsidize my hobbies and keep me from killing myself out of boredom. If it ever becomes something more, so be it, but I'm not counting on it.

This is perfect. Keep up the good work.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is perfect. Keep up the good work.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

For the first time since I left the Army I am a manager again. Also getting more responsibility. No extra money or better title. :downsgun:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
PlayStation Vue loving rules. $80 cancellation fee + my PlayStation Vue bill was less than my usual monthly DirecTV bill. Now I'll be paying $100 less per month for all the channels I actually watch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I got a kid at work who really wanted to get a CDL with his GI bill. I am strongly recommending that he not do that because lol commercial drivers aren't going to exist in 10-15 years.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

I got a kid at work who really wanted to get a CDL with his GI bill. I am strongly recommending that he not do that because lol commercial drivers aren't going to exist in 10-15 years.

I'd guess the big layoff will happen much sooner than that. I'd give it 5-6 before it's functionally impossible to get a job as a new commercial driver and a few more before it's a weird niche that only exists on the outskirts of civilization.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you think self driving trucks are going to be a thing in 5-10 years you're out of your mind.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
a self driving truck going through a mountain pass in the middle of winter seems kinda way out there

maybe trucks in SF will be automated

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Everything I've read about self driving trucks still mentions a driver, but mostly as a minimum wage watch the wheel and occasionally reverse job. The loose plans seem to be have a body in the seat "just in case".

20 years from now, different story, but not really within 10. Coors did a self-driven delivery last fall, I think. Only 100 miles or so, but they're only stretching their legs on that short a run.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
on the up side I guess gas pump attendants will be the hot new job

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TBeats posted:

PlayStation Vue loving rules. $80 cancellation fee + my PlayStation Vue bill was less than my usual monthly DirecTV bill. Now I'll be paying $100 less per month for all the channels I actually watch.

at first I assumed you had to use a playstation to use it, which seemed silly. Doesn't seem like a bad idea now tbh

I might get an HD antentta at some point but as of now my netflix (which I never use my family just mooches the poo poo out of it) and amazon get me by. I also have a firestick with KODI but never use it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

on the up side I guess gas pump attendants will be the hot new job

The worst thing about Oregon

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The problem with any self driving vehicle is we have no way to teach a computer how to react like a person. The sheer amount of complex reasoning the human brain is capable of is astounding. None of the tech is remotely close to being able to navigate well marked but confusing intersections intuitively. They have custom setups for the tricky spots like that, but that's not feasible on a mass scale. America is full of shoddy roads, lovely signage, poor markings, and construction. We need massive developments into cognitive reasoning and how to implement that in order for self driving to really become a reality.

Right now the technology works because a computer can easily just track a well marked road and behave accordingly at various intersections, but they have no clue how to deal with anything beyond that and you end up with headless tesla owners as a result.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i cant wait until fleets of trucks drive off the side of the road, or even into roadworkers the first time they come across road construction :catstare:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

when is amazon gonna deliver my poo poo via drones

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i cant wait until fleets of trucks drive off the side of the road, or even into roadworkers the first time they come across road construction :catstare:

I imagine whenever we get to those times that things will be treated more like vessels at sea. There's already a robust framework of law basically set up for commercial shipping that has incorporated liability for poo poo caused by automated systems. It's a valid reason to incorporate admiralty law on land.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tastefully arranged labia posted:

For the first time since I left the Army I am a manager again. Also getting more responsibility. No extra money or better title. :downsgun:

So you're a corporal?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Salvage divers will be a thing once global warming and the ocean levels rise.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Unless it gets mandated by the gov a lot of companies aren't going to rush to switch to self driving trucks. Keep in mind a commercial truck is ungodly expensive so it will take a lot of capital to switch their fleets over. These are also vehicles that last a fair amount of time because they have to be durable. Manned trucks is not going anywhere for a while.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone tried USAA's car buying service? How much money would I be leaving on the table vs haggling with dealers personally? Because not having to do that sounds very appealing.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Flikken posted:

Unless it gets mandated by the gov a lot of companies aren't going to rush to switch to self driving trucks. Keep in mind a commercial truck is ungodly expensive so it will take a lot of capital to switch their fleets over. These are also vehicles that last a fair amount of time because they have to be durable. Manned trucks is not going anywhere for a while.

This is the same thing that was said about plant automation.

Remember. You have maintenance costs with trucks regardless of human or automated. You only have the upfront cost of the truck with the automated.

Human you have the paycheck, benefits, training, legal issues, compliance issues, the hiring process......

Major trucking companies will be turning over fleets as soon as its viable from a legal and logistical standpoint.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Anyone tried USAA's car buying service? How much money would I be leaving on the table vs haggling with dealers personally? Because not having to do that sounds very appealing.

Use it. You literally get the quote, take it to the dealer and sign paperwork.

The only way you are going to get a better price is in the event that you catch a dealer in a must sell situation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have a link to $25 restaurant.com credit. It has to be redeemed by tonight (just buy the giftcard for the place, I think you have a year to use it) there's nothing really near me and most places have a minimum purchase of $25-50, plus other small stipulations. Anyone want it?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You should setup a free google voice account and disposable email account first and use that when you fill out the form. Last time I tried to use it I had like 40 dealers calling, texting and emailing me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're not going anywhere, soon, correct. But when the costs come down, some of the larger fleets, which occasionally run on lease programs, are going to be happy to drop people drawing a $30k+ paycheck if their lease cost increases are less than paying someone to grow their rear end in the seat.

AI will come along and take over entirely at some point, but not in the immediate future. Still need lumpers to move poo poo on and off the trailers.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Genocide Tendency posted:

Remember. You have maintenance costs with trucks regardless of human or automated. You only have the upfront cost of the truck with the automated.

Human you have the paycheck, benefits, training, legal issues, compliance issues, the hiring process......

Major trucking companies will be turning over fleets as soon as its viable from a legal and logistical standpoint.

Yes but if a factory robot malfunctions or breaks down it isn't as likely to run a school bus off the road, or cause an accident that jams up a a major traffic artery.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Delizin posted:

You should setup a free google voice account and disposable email account first and use that when you fill out the form. Last time I tried to use it I had like 40 dealers calling, texting and emailing me.

drat, this makes me about 100% less inclined to try the service

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also here's a link to $5.50 credit towards a rental at vudu.com

https://my.vudu.com/mobileLogin.htm..._%2Fvudu%2F_%2F

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Genocide Tendency posted:

Plant automation doesn't require complex reasoning the way driving a vehicle does. Automation in factories is the type of work that machines excel. Rote work that is repeated forever. There are flexible machines that can perform a variety of functions, but they are still just performing specific sequences.

We are a long ways off still from the actual artificial intelligence that will be necessary to drive cars and trucks for us. Will it happen? Absolutely if we don't kill ourselves first. Is it happening anytime soon? Not without massive breakthroughs.

I agree with you that the moment it is legally viable shipping companies will switch. I'm just contending that moment is no time soon.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
long haul trucking is a dead man walking. daycabbing, not so much.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Fun automation story

Company I work for bought out an automation company to kill it off. Basically the robot arms (things that replace the humans) are really solidly reliable, like maybe 8 hours of downtime for maintenance a year reliable. The problem with that is that you don't make any money on parts and service when the equipment doesn't break, so there is no backend profit, also the equipment around the robots is junk, and. Deals non stop, so it makes us look really bad when one thing doesn't break but everything else does constantly.

Trying to keep things somewhat vague to avoid a doxx, but we don't manufacture the robots, we just resell them.

Next ten years are gonna be really interesting, automation is getting really cheap and really good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

I imagine whenever we get to those times that things will be treated more like vessels at sea. There's already a robust framework of law basically set up for commercial shipping that has incorporated liability for poo poo caused by automated systems. It's a valid reason to incorporate admiralty law on land.

Which nicely segues into how fully autonomous ships are the new hotness. Did I say hotness? I meant skull-crushingly stupid. I can name about a hundred things that can bring a ship to a standstill that you need quick decision making skills and experience to deal with. And that's from an engineering perspective alone. FrozenVent can fill you in on actually driving the drat thing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem with any self driving vehicle is we have no way to teach a computer how to react like a person. The sheer amount of complex reasoning the human brain is capable of is astounding. None of the tech is remotely close to being able to navigate well marked but confusing intersections intuitively. They have custom setups for the tricky spots like that, but that's not feasible on a mass scale. America is full of shoddy roads, lovely signage, poor markings, and construction. We need massive developments into cognitive reasoning and how to implement that in order for self driving to really become a reality.

Right now the technology works because a computer can easily just track a well marked road and behave accordingly at various intersections, but they have no clue how to deal with anything beyond that and you end up with headless tesla owners as a result.

The bigger problem with self driving cars is that they are programmed to take actions that will kill their drivers instead of pedestrians or other drivers in emergencies. That narrative will never fly with the American populace.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 17, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey Delizin keep in mind gun​ smithing for a large part is really just industry specific machining so you'll learn to use a manual mill and a manual lathe which is always handy.

Keeping that in mind you should check out some machining resources, and from my experience with gun smith dudes your machining resources will help you do some poo poo better, like achieving better concentricity, and using gage blocks in imaginative ways to better measure poo poo, all kinds of cool poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

Which nicely segues into how fully autonomous ships are the new hotness. Did I say hotness? I meant skull-crushingly stupid. I can name about a hundred things that can bring a ship to a standstill that you need quick decision making skills and experience to deal with. And that's from an engineering perspective alone. FrozenVent can fill you in on actually driving the drat thing.

Ships auto pilots do pretty well even doing pierwork these days. They're reliant on up to date charts and sensors, though, for delicate work. Open ocean transits yeah who gives a gently caress as long as you have some sort of lookout.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ships auto pilots do pretty well even doing pierwork these days. They're reliant on up to date charts and sensors, though, for delicate work. Open ocean transits yeah who gives a gently caress as long as you have some sort of lookout.

I was talking about purely from a mechanical standpoint. There are so many things that could go wrong that you need people on hand for

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Plus I don't want to lose my sweet rear end high paying job

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

I was talking about purely from a mechanical standpoint. There are so many things that could go wrong that you need people on hand for

oh yeah I don't think you can ever have fully autonomous ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I imagine the amount of dicks you'd have to suck to get a job doing weapons development for the JSOC crews is near endless.

But then again that sounds like a loving dream job doing some crazy poo poo, building toys and getting them in the hands of dudes that will put them through the ringer and then some.

• Locked thread