Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The premise of this episode is a bit of an hard sell when Diana's been a prick for the most part of the series. Even at her best, she's mostly been "less of a prick than the two bully girls but still a prick".

Not that she really is a prick and they do good job in the episode, it's a brave story to go with though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I think this is the first two-parter in the show? It was a pretty neat episode, regardless! Diana's good and episodes that focus on her are good.

I think the Samhain Festival was the first.

I expected a Jasminka episode given the two that preceded it, but I guess comic relief characters don't really need that.

Paul Hanbridge may be a jerk but he disdains hooliganism, doesn't play along with that ridiculous sales bid and is willing to pick up an obnoxious hitchhiker (eventually). He's not all bad...

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I don't know, Diana honestly has never been a jerk at any point in the TV series. In the OVAs yeah for sure, but in the TV series she's only been kinda rude to Akko after she annoyed her/was rude to her first. She also gives plenty of credit when it's due and is mainly just standoffish about things.

The one time I can think where she was genuinely being a fucker was when she tried to tell the school servants "hey y'all quit trying to get better living conditions", which she was thoroughly shut down for and she didn't actually fight back about. (Which, if my reading of this episode is right, is because she felt shame that she just acted like a stereotypical upper-class English twit for a hot second there instead of what she tries to be.)

(Also let's be real, everyone knows someone like Akko and in person they can be real annoying a lot of the time, I don't blame anyone for taking a while to warm up)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Diana is a good girl and the only people who look bad in the worker uprising episode are Akko and Croix.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Akko is a good if stereotypical protagonist, but yeah, realistically people have every reason to dislike her. It's pretty remarkable the extent to which Diana does put up with her. (Especially when you consider stuffy upper class British communication standards vs. standard shouty anime protagonist with no respect for personal space and inability to take no for an answer.)

As for the working class uprising, while she did have the stereotypical "privileged upper class person" response to their grievances you can't say she didn't have a good point. If they let the school die, where would they go? They did have valid grievances of course, but Akko's "she has a good bedroom" is a pretty weird argument, so I doubt she was shamed by it so much as understandably frustrated. How would you respond to something like that?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Honestly Diana isn't enough of a prick. The show up til now has had a bit of an issue with a lack of her and Akko actually interacting, which I'm sure is primarily because Diana just isn't antagonistic enough for them to clash much.

Good to see that they'll probably become close next week.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yeah, i hope they finally become friends and save magic.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I hope they finally become magic and save friends

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
lots of good akko faces in this episode, a good episode

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I think they're a bit late to save Friends, to be honest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Given the ED, this seems uncomfortably plausible.

They did say it was very spoilery, after all...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GOOD episode, my DUDES

diana's smile and YAY, restored

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

they kissed, in the 20th episode

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This was an excellent capstone to the Diana story. Good plotting, well-paced, and I love how Akko's signature move in magic is super cute transformations. It's so darn fitting!

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

akko's little squeaks when they go fast. im dead

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Diana's smiles and Akko's squeaks

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Some nice bits of action this week! I love the loose style and cartoony feel

https://my.mixtape.moe/tfgxpj.mp4

https://my.mixtape.moe/fjssrs.mp4

This is a heck of an effect:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Uh, so what's to stop the evil aunt from continuing to ruin the estate? the servants seem kind of helpless to stop her???

Loved the turtle though

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Uh, so what's to stop the evil aunt from continuing to ruin the estate? the servants seem kind of helpless to stop her???

Loved the turtle though

Kid's Show Logic: Diana saved her life so she's grateful now!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think we all are assuming the same, which does suck. I don't think the way Netflix handles anime is good at all, but it seems they are unwilling to change their business model all that quickly.

Netflix has a worldwide subscription base over 90 times the size of Crunchyroll's. No one's going to tell Netflix how to release a show. Not with the growing number of people whose only television service is Netflix and nothing else. This is also how they've handled their anime licenses since 2014 when they licensed Knights of Sidonia. I guess people are just taking notice now because it's a series they were actually anticipating.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
loving hell I can't believe there's only like 5 episodes left..

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
hosed up that we never got an episode on the witch thats always snacking

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Didn't Andrew leave after dinner last episode? Why is he still around?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This was a very gay episode.
Thanks Trigger.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
https://twitter.com/yu719/status/866124802238554114

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, having akko do a bunch of shape shing in one episode made me realize that she's basically using a bunch of classic Disney characters. Mickey Mouse, Dumbo, etc.

You also have the evil stepsisters from Cinderella here too preventing Diana from claiming her rightful place.

Lots of Disney homages.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

No ranking screen at the end, 2/10

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sincx posted:

Didn't Andrew leave after dinner last episode? Why is he still around?

His dad left early in this episode, but I guess Andrew chose to stay the night since they'd been invited. Also he has a crush on Akko.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/LWA_jp/status/866602107213717504
:toot:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShV0BbjP4A

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Akko X Diana or Akko X Amanda

Both seem good. Tough choice.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Slightly weak ending but good overall (and neat how she didn't get to do both things after all). High point was Akko actually accomplishing something with her own magic.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Xelkelvos posted:

Akko X Diana or Akko X Amanda

Both seem good. Tough choice.

:wrong:

the correct answer is Akko X Sucy, thanks for playing!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Akko + Andrew for maximum otaku rage.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sincx posted:

Akko + Andrew for maximum otaku rage.

Also maximum Andrew's dad rage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Also maximum Andrew's dad rage.

The benefits just keep piling up!

Besides, if I've learned anything from anime, it's that the most likely pairing is the one prominently featuring variants on the phrase "It's not like I like you or anything".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think they'll probably take the leap to have Akko hook up with any of the girls in this kid targeted show where the characters are tween girls. Just a guess.

Japan will probably get there someday where gay stuff isn't for teasing shippers and fujos or used as a punchline. Maybe in 5-10 years or so.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think any ship will be canon in the end and Trigger will allow everyone room to keep on supporting whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Episodes 1-13 on Netflix June 30th http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/little-witch-academias-netflix-release-date-announced

• Locked thread