Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

get with the times grandpa

grimdark is sooo 90s

90s are totally in tho

I want Cadillacs with machine guns and sisters with chokers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope GW releases big sisters

thiccsters of battle

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
big daddies and big sisters in the big old 41st millennium

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Phi230 posted:

lol @ owning any GW ... paint

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

big daddies and big sisters in the big old 41st millennium

its gonna be yuge

were gonna build a space wall across the warp storm

and CHAOS is gonna pay for it!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

its gonna be yuge

were gonna build a space wall across the warp storm

and CHAOS is gonna pay for it!

As decreed from the Orangey throne.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I like the bigly marines. I will probably buy some. It probably means almost never finishing my Minotaurs tho.

They look cool, I like the poses, especially on the sergeant models.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whoops this isn't the 40k thread, pretend I shitposted.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've never gotten the appeal of 40K fluff. It's always made me need a bath after more than three paragraphs.

Seriously, why the gently caress does wargaming as a hobby have to represented by a setting that wanks to religious genocide on every other page? If there's anything we've learned from GW's "delightful" staff profiles, it's that the writing is not as ironic as you think it is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah I can't really get behind it. The rules are mostly good changes, but the new fluff direction really alienates me.

GW should be going hardcore new-retro and embracing it's heavy metal roots

We still haven't seen 8e Orks.

They could go full Fury Road.

They -should- go full Fury Road.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

I've never gotten the appeal of 40K fluff. It's always made me need a bath after more than three paragraphs.

Seriously, why the gently caress does wargaming as a hobby have to represented by a setting that wanks to religious genocide on every other page? If there's anything we've learned from GW's "delightful" staff profiles, it's that the writing is not as ironic as you think it is.

ok

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i might buy some biglys if they're reasonably priced

lol

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Because at one point it really was ironic. It was based on Nemesis The Warlock and had the same view on society as Judge Dredd. You have an Ork Warlord named after Margaret Thatcher. The punk aesthetic was a big part of early 40k. The Imperium as explicit good guys was not the idea.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
40k (and that's also true of Warhammer) doesn't have a single trace of irony in it. It's all meant to be taken extremely seriously, especially the stupid parts.

The fluff of 40k is about the joy of seeing every story ever mashed together in a pile, and the cool and weird stuff that comes out from it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

lol

Are you trying to say that $25 dollarydoos each isn't reasonably priced? That's less than a thousandth the cost of a 6 metre fishing boat, which makes it a hugely affordable hobby

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

lol

:same:

In actual wargaming discussion though (not empty posting), I guess scrappers is labelled ~Not Good~ by the goon hivemind? Or is it worth spending funbux on?

Trip report on SW:A. It really is Necromunda. Some parts are still lovely for unknown reasons. Some parts are less lovely (I find that ammo rolls and the injury chart being reduced as it has been actually is good, and removed the cruft in the injury system, and made the ammo system less penalising to players, allowing more diverse weapons loadouts than ~lasguns and heavy stubbers~), and some parts are more lovely (I preferred the granularity of the Necromunda exp system, so this is a subjective view, but it seems irritating to me in regards how many/how often troops level up - although in both this case, and the points purchasing market section, I get that it was done as an effort to curtail some players leaping ahead of others too quickly). I haven't double checked my copy, but I think the underdog stuff might be gone too?
It's all still necromunda under the hood though, so ymmv if you actually want a good game out of it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think Chill la Chill is the only goon to read Scrappers so far, so no goon consensus yet.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think Chill la Chill is the only goon to read Scrappers so far, so no goon consensus yet.

I've read it, and played it once. Seemed pretty decent in actual play, but I haven't checked out the campaign system. But I don't think my opinion could be considered reliable.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Liquid Communism posted:

We still haven't seen 8e Orks.

They could go full Fury Road.

They -should- go full Fury Road.

:same:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

lol

£50 for 5 and wouldnt even be surprised. Starter box photo suggests they come in 10's though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

£50 for 5 and wouldnt even be surprised. Starter box photo suggests they come in 10's though.

I welcome our bigly overlords

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

wouldnt be surprised either

any higher than £25 and I'll pass though

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

Yeah same, if the starter set does come with them they'll probably be on eBay before the boxes even ship.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
same for ebay

I really just want one for like, some skirmish game or something, probably Deadzone

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They'll look good in a game of Shadow War or something, when they can stand in as what an actual Marine would look like to a normal human sized trooper.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Moola posted:

I really just want one for like, some skirmish game or something, probably Deadzone

Yeah I'd like a single big marine out of curiosity. There's loads of games a random power-armoured shootman can be chucked into.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Moola posted:

Given that they're going to be in the starter box, you'll almost certainly be able to get them for less than that off ebay.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

lol

Well I mean I did find a shop last weekend that was doing an ongoing buy 2 get 1 free deal and had american prices with british numbers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Starter box marines had a lot of appeal to me back when I was getting into 40k and the idea was that I would be using them to quickly flesh out a force that I would continue to build up over time with the larger variety of sculpts/poses from 'real' kits. Not sure if that applies so much anymore.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Just noticed the thread title changed, when did that happen?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Just noticed the thread title changed, when did that happen?

When GW got cool, and good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

When GW got cool, and good.

:eyepop:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
GW is Not Bad but I'm not sure I'm ready to call them Good yet

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm here to chat post whether or not GW is cool and good or bad and dumb. I'll probably hit up the local GW store sometime and see if they have any painting competitions going on and get kicked out for painting in the shop with vallejo droppers.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm glad to see this thread is finally coming around :) welcome to the GW family

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

image of old man GW trying to act hip and cool with fashion from a decade ago.jpg

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
lol why would you intentionally go to a GW store to paint something

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alternatively, pic of GW wearing tim🅱️s

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol why would you intentionally go to a GW store to paint something

When I did that as a teen, there was this cool dude who was both a giant weeb and lifted a lot so was swole as heck. He talked about lifting a lot. Maybe that guy is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pawl posted:

GW is Not Bad but I'm not sure I'm ready to call them Good yet

The world keeps on moving even if you're not ready to crawl out of your cocoon. The sooner you realise the sooner you get to fly in the heady highs of 8th edition.

• Locked thread