Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Yeah, that project has been developing for a few years now. They've merged two slavic interlanguage projects like a year or two ago and the first international convention is this year.

e: just teach everybody Old Church Slavonic again

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

At this moment, English is the only intermediary language in Google's online translation system, which often results in wrong translation of one Slavic language to another. For example, the system translates the Croatian word medvjed (n. bear) into endure in Polish and carry in Russian, as the English verb bear also represents a synonym for all listed suggestions. If an inter-Slavic language was used as basis for all machine translation related to Slavic languages, the results would be much more accurate.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

But more generally, using English as the intermediate step is a terrible decision. It makes sense from an expediency point of view (it's certainly easier to go through an intermediary than to make dictionaries for every single combination possible) but it's still a terrible choice linguistically. For example, look at this article in German and try to translate it to whatever non-English language you want. (It's about which grammatical gender to use for a genderless thing, in this case an airplane. The articles "die" (feminine the) and "der" (masculine the) both get translated to "the" in the intermediate step, losing an important semantical element during this translation since English just does not have anything to convey it, and then when it translates it back to Czech or whatever the article ends up being largely nonsensical since it'll be "<same thing> or <same thing>?"...)

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Hm, I wonder if you could make a conlang that's just a superset of grammatical rules/features for the explicit purpose of being an intermediary for machine translations.

e: it wouldn't have to include everything because that's likely literally impossible but you could have different "versions" for translation between related languages or families of languages while preserving commonalities

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2017

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The stories coming out of Ukraine are nuts, what the hell

https://twitter.com/ValLisitsa/status/863497802437013505

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice. Russia conditionally sentences a vlogger to 3,5 years for what amounts to edgy atheist videos on youtube, and Ukraine just couldn't wait even a week to sentence a student for the terrible crime of posting Lenin's quotes on facebook. I guess he's lucky it wasn't in vkontacte. Could have added another year to the sentence.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Nice. Russia conditionally sentences a vlogger to 3,5 years for what amounts to edgy atheist videos on youtube, and Ukraine just couldn't wait even a week to sentence a student for the terrible crime of posting Lenin's quotes on facebook. I guess he's lucky it wasn't in vkontacte. Could have added another year to the sentence.

Thankfully it's a conditional sentence as well. Funny how the translation doesn't mention that.

quote:

На підставі ст.75 КК України звільнити засудженого ОСОБА_1 від відбування покарання з випробуванням, призначивши йому іспитовий строк тривалістю 1 (один) рік.

Відповідно до ст.76 КК України покласти на засудженого ОСОБА_1 наступні обовязки:

- періодично зявлятися для реєстрації до уповноваженого органу з питань пробації;

- повідомляти уповноважений орган з питань пробації про зміну місця проживання, роботи або навчання.

(From http://reyestr.court.gov.ua/Review/66326440)

This probably deserves a lot more attention than bans of some enemy-state businesses, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tekz posted:

The stories coming out of Ukraine are nuts, what the hell

https://twitter.com/ValLisitsa/status/863497802437013505
Nothing special forn Eastern Europe these days. There's a form of anti-communist legislation in most of Eastern Bloc and many ex-Soviet republics. Not sure why the ideology here is the issue though, rather than a specific party, that's unnecessarily stupid.

Also, keep in mind that the Twitter user you quote has a rather peculiar personal vendetta against Ukraine for a few years now, being Ukrainian Russian expat in the States. Peculiar enough to contain off-colour Holocaust references and African stereotypes, amongst other things.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
There's an online contest for naming Poland government's new planes.

My vote is Boeing 2137.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

My vote is Boeing 2137.

Crashy McCrashface would be my suggestion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I suggest "Why am I not an Airbus?" as a nod to the Caracal deal.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

My vote is Boeing 2137.

WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Armored-birch piercer.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

My vote is Boeing 2137.

były zniszczalne.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
My Little Obrony: Sarmatism is Magic

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Uh, not sure if dousing computers with holy water by patriarch Kirill will protect them from ransomware.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lichtenstein posted:

My vote is Boeing 2137.
Cannot into Space.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Cannot into Space.
:perfect:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

quote:

Nazi greeting "Glory to Ukraine!" with "Glory to Heroes!"

During Eurovision the woman who announced Lithuanian votes greeted by saying 'slava ukrajina' and got back 'slava gerojam' from the hosts. : D

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2016/05/18/12-newsrooms-in-5-years

I remember when Gazeta.ru and RIA Novosti happened but, man, Putin's on a roll.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

My vote is Boeing 2137.

So the two big ones should be

"Nieee ktoś za to beknie!" (Nooo, someone will go down for this!) and "Zmieścisz się śmiało" (You can do it, come on)

and the three small ones:

"Po-my-sły!" (I-de-as!), "Kurwa mać!" and "O Jezu!"

All taken from the last minutes of the Smolensk flight recorder transcript.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Heard that before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovio
Naturally, it never caught on, just like Esperanto.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, there may be a good Wing Hussar joke there, but I can't seem to think of one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd just call it Smolensk.

Pierogi posted:

So the two big ones should be

"Nieee ktoś za to beknie!" (Nooo, someone will go down for this!) and "Zmieścisz się śmiało" (You can do it, come on)

and the three small ones:

"Po-my-sły!" (I-de-as!), "Kurwa mać!" and "O Jezu!"

All taken from the last minutes of the Smolensk flight recorder transcript.
But this is better.

e: VVV I can see where you're coming from but as it stands the Polish government has turned that into a farce already.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 19, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just me but I don't find these humorous.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

That's a shame, a lot of people died that day so that we might laugh today at the hubris of the few men who had caused it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"Hubris One" would probably work for a lot of government planes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Air Farce One for the Boeing.

Air Farts One for the Gulfstream.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Donald Tusk would also work pretty well, I think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"Ikarus"

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

http://www.ikarus.hu/

Taken by the scheming Hungarians

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pierogi posted:

That's a shame, a lot of people died that day so that we might laugh today at the hubris of the few men who had caused it.

There's a joke hidden in this quote, but I forgot what it was.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what is Putin up to while Russiagate incinerates Trump?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grouchio posted:

The man has a website and all. You can keep up on his every activity: http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news

The latest interesting Russia news is people being pissed off about the mayor of Moscow demolishing lovely old apartment buildings (and turning out in large numbers to protest it) and someone paying large amounts of rubles to produce a music video where an a former member of Leningrad tells kids to gently caress politics; acquire bitches and currency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urt4fifrsls

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Joking with the Czech President about killing journalists.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

The man has a website and all. You can keep up on his every activity: http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news

The latest interesting Russia news is people being pissed off about the mayor of Moscow demolishing lovely old apartment buildings (and turning out in large numbers to protest it) and someone paying large amounts of rubles to produce a music video where an a former member of Leningrad tells kids to gently caress politics; acquire bitches and currency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urt4fifrsls

I was so scared it'll be Yuliya.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Canadian IT companies have offered to make a social network website for Ukraine if 50,000 people sign up by June 1.

http://www.ukrainians.co/

quote:

The team of 30 programmers from StartupSoft with Alexandra Strumchynskoyu ready to develop Ukrainian social network simultaneously for three platforms: web, iOS i Android. Before you invest time and in the development of this product, you need to verify. If by June 1, the number pidpycnykiv reach 50,000+, StartupSoft develop the product for 4 months.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Canadian IT companies have offered to make a social network website for Ukraine if 50,000 people sign up by June 1.

http://www.ukrainians.co/

Yes, a country-specific social network. It works in China, so it'll probably work in Ukraine! :downs:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Yes, a country-specific social network. It works in China, so it'll probably work in Ukraine! :downs:
It works in Latvia too, but we aren't exactly social to begin with.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It works in Latvia too, but we aren't exactly social to begin with.

Yours had an advantage of being developed in 2004. Unless Ukraine also plans to ban Facebook, I've no idea how they plan to compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Yours had an advantage of being developed in 2004. Unless Ukraine also plans to ban Facebook, I've no idea how they plan to compete.
Fair enough, VK/Ok did kill the Russian Latvian network, and Facebook is slowly but surely grinding down the Latvian Latvian one.