Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VideoTapir posted:

Doom 3 was a fun game to play once.
I went back to it last year and was really surprised at how good it was, it held up really well for a game that old.

VideoTapir posted:

Crysis sucks, and the Far Cry series isn't much better.
Got to agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The only thing Doom 3 was guilty of was bearing the name "Doom".

I remember buying a 6800GT and playing it on high settings for the first time. Quite an impressive sight for 2005 or whatever that was.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

nigga crab pollock posted:

borderlands 2 has quite possibly the worst writing of any video game mostly because it's so far up it's own rear end it's at the top of his body but its a pretty good game, game wise

playing it a second time years later the general tone of the story is just ughhh but hey it makes for lots of side quests so it clearly worked out

This is my FREAKIN PONY MADE OUT OF DIAMONDS

*slowly slides barrel into mouth*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Telltale Games are stupid and don't really have good writing and their game engine is hot garbage that makes Gamebryo look stable and QuickTime events are awful

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Far Cry after the first one legit sucks. Crysis was a really REALLY impressive tech demo at the time

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Doom 3 was awesome at the time. gently caress y'all.

I really enjoyed the flashlight in Doom 3, it felt tense to have to choose between seeing where you're going and being able to defend yourself. It's over a decade since I played it but I'm interested in seeing how it's aged.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Pretty sure Doom 3 killed my video card so I barely even started it. Oh well!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Telltale Games are stupid and don't really have good writing and their game engine is hot garbage that makes Gamebryo look stable and QuickTime events are awful

This is a very popular opinion afaik

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Birthday Cake is the worst song to ever be in a videogame and Cibo Matto defenders are mentally ill

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
There has never been a good RTS or fighting game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mystery fluid posted:

There has never been a good RTS or fighting game

what about samurai showdown 5 smart guy? thats a good fighting game

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

haven't played it but it probably isnt, sorry

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mystery fluid posted:

haven't played it but it probably isnt, sorry

i dont think you can make claims about all fighting games until you have played every single one :colbert:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

2house2fly posted:

I really enjoyed the flashlight in Doom 3, it felt tense to have to choose between seeing where you're going and being able to defend yourself. It's over a decade since I played it but I'm interested in seeing how it's aged.

Try it - hell looks impressive even now. I think it would be the bomb in VR.

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

i dont think you can make claims about all fighting games until you have played every single one :colbert:

does a fighting game exist where there's no obtuse mechanics that the game doesn't tell you about?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

mystery fluid posted:

does a fighting game exist where there's no obtuse mechanics that the game doesn't tell you about?

Most fighting games are not intentionally designed to contain obtuse mechanics. It's just that there are limitations with the engines. In a single player game, this isn't a big deal and is sometimes cool because exploits lead to speedruns. In a competitive multiplayer game, exploits lead to said obtuse mechanics that you need to learn if you want to compete on a level playing field because they have a .0001% edge in all matchups.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

mystery fluid posted:

Smash brothers, at least the original one

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

jon joe posted:

Most fighting games are not intentionally designed to contain obtuse mechanics. It's just that there are limitations with the engines. In a single player game, this isn't a big deal and is sometimes cool because exploits lead to speedruns. In a competitive multiplayer game, exploits lead to said obtuse mechanics that you need to learn if you want to compete on a level playing field because they have a .0001% edge in all matchups.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

ok fine, I hate fighting games because my friends always beat me at every single one we've ever played

that's why they are bad

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rutibex posted:

Last Blade > Samurai Showdown

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mystery fluid posted:

ok fine, I hate fighting games because my friends always beat me at every single one we've ever played

that's why they are bad

you should try Soul Calibur. you can win that game by pushing random buttons faster than your opponent. skill is actually a distraction

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arcsquad12 posted:

Counter claim: Tales from the Borderlands is both very good and the best entry in the franchise.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
My favorite fighting game is still the one that plays in my mind when I hear the 1993 techno Mortal Kombat song. Especially because Kano gets top billing, as it should be.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Counter claim: Tales from the Borderlands is both very good and the best entry in the franchise.

counter counter claim: all point and click games are boring and telltale can gently caress right off a cliff

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

playerunknown's battlegrounds is the shooter equivalent of watching paint dry

counter strike sucks too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you want a story, read a book, they're better than the pablum that telltale passes for entertainment

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If you want a story, read a book, they're better than the pablum that telltale passes for entertainment

That GoT game pissed me off. I played the whole thing and I was happy all my characters died. Then I uninstalled that poo poo and vowed never to play it again. What a piece of poo poo that game was.

Sorry. I am aware this is in the wrong thread.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I think those games are popular enough that it qualifies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

also in melee. especially in melee, even

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Counter counter claim: Borderlands 1 is the best entry in the series because it maintains a consistent visual style throughout, doesn't have bullshit level scaling like 2, and its storytelling is amusing without turning full moron like the later games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Far Cry 2 was great, maybe the best game of the series (haven't tried primal yet)

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Bob James posted:

I've never played a dark souls and I never will.

dark souls is a bad game for japanophiles that think poor map design and strategic button mashing equals difficulty and/or fun

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Final Fantasy 12 is boring and has bad voice acting. The only guy that ever displays an emotion is the evil scientist, and the "political storyline" is a total waste since you spend all game in dungeons looking for crystals and the bad guy is evil because some ghosts with no motivation talk to him. The first boss is a fire horse that lives in a sewer though, which is at least kind of funny.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Gone Baptizin posted:

dark souls is a bad game for japanophiles that think poor map design and strategic button mashing equals difficulty and/or fun

I can see the appeal of SoulsBorne games but they're just not for me. The art design is lovely though and pretty much overshadows the whole of the game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bioshock Infinity's initial marketing: :can:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 17, 2017

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Gone Baptizin posted:

i don't think you know what any of those terms you just used mean, including "is" and "or"

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

nigga crab pollock posted:

borderlands 2 has quite possibly the worst writing of any video game mostly because it's so far up it's own rear end it's at the top of his body but its a pretty good game, game wise

playing it a second time years later the general tone of the story is just ughhh but hey it makes for lots of side quests so it clearly worked out

I don't like getting loot every trillasecond. 90% of borderlands 2 is just looking at a screen and comparing guns to other guns.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Smash 64 has z-canceling

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
like most things, dark souls was pretty cool until nerds started jacking off all over it

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Far Cry 2 was great, maybe the best game of the series (haven't tried primal yet)

Primal is pretty good. Village building is a nice mechanic and I have fun running around in it killing cavemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I AM THE TOILET posted:

like most things, dark souls was pretty cool until nerds started jacking off all over it

True