Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gravy Jones posted:

Build a small station on a spur. Wire up the inserters from the train to the logistics chest to only unload if there is < X of a given item in the chest (50 miners, 100 walls, whatever else you need). Drop a robo-port and construction bots. They build the outpost, and the chests keep getting topped up until they're done, but don't empty the train. Blueprint the whole thing and use it for all outposts.

Doesn't even have to be a small station. You should be running 2-4 trains (Two locomotives followed by 4 wagons), so a 1-1 can be loco-cargo (logistics supplies) or loco-fluid (sulfuric acid for uranium mining + light oil for flame turrets) all utilizing the same station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dr. Stab posted:

e: The actual metric you use to determine where to prioritize productivity modules is resource consumption per second. Smelting is bad, because it takes multiple seconds and only consumes one resource. Gear wheels are great, because the recipe takes twice the ingredients and a fraction of the time. A productivity module placed in a gear assembler makes ~9 times as much free iron as one placed in a smelter. Science producers work very slowly, but their ingredients are worth a lot of resources, more than enough to compensate for the low crafting speed.

My ratios :cry:

But hadn't thought of it this way, makes sense. Thanks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gravy Jones posted:

My ratios :cry:

But hadn't thought of it this way, makes sense. Thanks.

Yeah, you want to design your factory to accommodate the shifting ratios and also so that you can prioritize the assemblers with the most modules. It's a lot easier to have a "no module" build and a "full module" build that at some point you just replace one with the other, but it's better to be able to smoothly ramp up.

For example. it's so much more effective to bus gear wheels than make them in place, so you can easily add and remove assemblers as the demand changes. It's also somewhat worth it to have the design input ingredients on one end and output products on the other. People like designs where input and output belts move in opposite directions, but that design prioritizes one set of assemblers when you're short on input, and another set when you're backed up on output. If both go the same direction, then you're prioritizing the same assemblers at all times.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

Why aren't you tying a circuit condition to the steam tanks and then automatically having an inserter place a fresh fuel cell when they run low?
the honest answer is because while it worked fine in my orig setup, the blueprint I made with the wiring doesn't work properly and I have to refuel it so infrequently I never messed around trying to figure out why a single wire from a tank didn't activate the long inserter.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Thanks for the liquid loading tips.

Unrelated, they really need to make centrifuges circuit-readable. For reactors the steam workaround is straightforward and maybe the circuits can't read the reactor directly due to EMP technobabble blah blah blah, but not being able to read centrifuges for Kovarex enrichment smacks of artificial make-work. The reasoning makes no sense, unlike "let me measure power demand via steam", and it looks dumb. Either you have a yellow inserter linked to stack inserters putting items on a belt and picking them back up immediately before the yellow inserter can catch up, or you have something similar worked out with logistics chests. Ugh.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

rockopete posted:

Thanks for the liquid loading tips.

Unrelated, they really need to make centrifuges circuit-readable. For reactors the steam workaround is straightforward and maybe the circuits can't read the reactor directly due to EMP technobabble blah blah blah, but not being able to read centrifuges for Kovarex enrichment smacks of artificial make-work. The reasoning makes no sense, unlike "let me measure power demand via steam", and it looks dumb. Either you have a yellow inserter linked to stack inserters putting items on a belt and picking them back up immediately before the yellow inserter can catch up, or you have something similar worked out with logistics chests. Ugh.

Why centrifugues? They're just like an assember, miner, or refinery where they turn one thing into another. You either want them running around the clock or just use a power switch to disable them when you have a big surplus of uranium (And no ammo/nukes to put it toward)

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Why centrifugues? They're just like an assember, miner, or refinery where they turn one thing into another. You either want them running around the clock or just use a power switch to disable them when you have a big surplus of uranium (And no ammo/nukes to put it toward)

You are correct as far as uranium ore refining. However, Kovarex enrichment, also done in centrifuges (once you research it) goes like so:

40x U-235 and 5x U-238

to

41 U-235 and 2x U-238

If you have the standard inserter input and output as you would for assemblers etc, they will pull all 41 U-235 out as soon as the process finishes, meaning you need either another 40 U-235 on the input side, or some kind of mechanism to count or cycle it back in.

If you can't connect assemblers or refineries to the circuit network, then this is at least consistent with that. I assumed you could wire them.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm like 95% sure you can't connect assemblers or refineries to the circuit network, only inserters and pumps.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Careful with the new update, heat pipes have been severely nerfed and have broken my factory. 16 reactors (plus another 12 currently in construction) can barely produce 1.7GW now.

RIP :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I didn't know how that change read -- apparently they made it so that heat pipes lose their heat regardless of how you build it, over distance?

I mean I guess it's not a huge problem, you just have to build more smaller reactors rather than one ultra-reactor, which I suppose isn't the end of the world but it's kind of a bummer.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Apparently right now Notch is livestreaming Factorio. I can't watch because I'm at work right now but... there you go.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

rockopete posted:

You are correct as far as uranium ore refining. However, Kovarex enrichment, also done in centrifuges (once you research it) goes like so:

40x U-235 and 5x U-238

to

41 U-235 and 2x U-238

If you have the standard inserter input and output as you would for assemblers etc, they will pull all 41 U-235 out as soon as the process finishes, meaning you need either another 40 U-235 on the input side, or some kind of mechanism to count or cycle it back in.

If you can't connect assemblers or refineries to the circuit network, then this is at least consistent with that. I assumed you could wire them.

Yeah you can't connect assemblers, refineries, centrifuges, etc to the circuit network. And as circuit heavy as most of my factories are I can't see why you'd ever want to hook any of those to a network anyway.

The other thing is that all machines differentiate between input and output slots. You still need to get the outputs out of the centrifuge and the inputs in. Doesn't matter that one of the outputs is reused in the input. Even if you could hook up a circuit to it that wouldn't do any good.

For Kovarex just have two cycling belts. Stack Filter inserters output 235 onto one belt, and 238 onto another, and regular stack inserters pull them in. Then at the ends it just loops around, and you use splitters + wired belts to siphon off the excess or add more raw.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I didn't know how that change read -- apparently they made it so that heat pipes lose their heat regardless of how you build it, over distance?

I mean I guess it's not a huge problem, you just have to build more smaller reactors rather than one ultra-reactor, which I suppose isn't the end of the world but it's kind of a bummer.

You just have to keep your Heat exchangers closer to the reactor and pipe the steam to the turbines further away. Make it a little more of a logistical challenge to setup huge reactor setups. The most compact I've gotten is 16 in an 8x2 grid. Any more than that and you can't fit enough exchangers to utilize the heat.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah you can't connect assemblers, refineries, centrifuges, etc to the circuit network. And as circuit heavy as most of my factories are I can't see why you'd ever want to hook any of those to a network anyway.

The other thing is that all machines differentiate between input and output slots. You still need to get the outputs out of the centrifuge and the inputs in. Doesn't matter that one of the outputs is reused in the input. Even if you could hook up a circuit to it that wouldn't do any good.

For Kovarex just have two cycling belts. Stack Filter inserters output 235 onto one belt, and 238 onto another, and regular stack inserters pull them in. Then at the ends it just loops around, and you use splitters + wired belts to siphon off the excess or add more raw.

I see. Thanks, I grabbed a blueprint earlier.

Does anyone know the new/corrected 15.11 ratio or max heat pipe length before loss?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

M_Gargantua posted:

You just have to keep your Heat exchangers closer to the reactor and pipe the steam to the turbines further away. Make it a little more of a logistical challenge to setup huge reactor setups. The most compact I've gotten is 16 in an 8x2 grid. Any more than that and you can't fit enough exchangers to utilize the heat.

Yay, more big pipe mazes, because those are so much fun when setting up big petroleum plants :rolleyes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

M_Gargantua posted:

To be fair, it does make some sense, you're just adding more surface area for heat to radiate away through no matter how good the insulation is (and let's be honest, none of the materials used to make heat pipes are any good as insulation, they're like 90% copper). So the more you build out your stuff, the more of the heat escapes, the less efficiency you get.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The change makes no sense though if steam still never loses heat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
is there a way to disable biter expansion on an already-made world, as i made what i thought was a railworld no-expansion game but the fuckers are expanding so i clearly put in something wrong

e: and i'm in pretty deep (all but yellow/space science) so i don't want to restart

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

President Ark posted:

is there a way to disable biter expansion on an already-made world, as i made what i thought was a railworld no-expansion game but the fuckers are expanding so i clearly put in something wrong

e: and i'm in pretty deep (all but yellow/space science) so i don't want to restart

Press ~ and type
code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.enabled = false
Using this will disable achievements, however.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dootman posted:

Using this will disable achievements, however.

don't give a poo poo, thanks

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

President Ark posted:

I have the same problem, started with railworld settings on goon island and thought the biters would be gone for good when the first bases were gone, but they quickly moved back into cleared areas.

Has anyone made a map that for certain didn't have biters expanding? I'm kind of curious if it could be bugged to not work on the rail world default settings. Also, is there a way to view map creation settings on a map that's currently being played? I may have simply forgotten to turn them off at map creation or didn't have it set to rail world properly, and I didn't see any console commands like that on the wiki.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Grab the map exchange string and see what settings it picks.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Manyorcas posted:

Has anyone made a map that for certain didn't have biters expanding? I'm kind of curious if it could be bugged to not work on the rail world default settings.

Something's up on your end, I'm playing rail world default settings and can confirm biters do not expand.

In other news, updated heat pipes can suck it. There's no way to salvage my dear power plant. But I guess it was a good excuse to come up with something better.

...now for the difficult part: finding a way to install that thing in my actual factory.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What is the first tool used here, which is dragged over the patch of ore? I've made blueprints before, but don't there need to be constructions there?
https://gfycat.com/VioletPoliteHomalocephale

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
That guy's tool uses single walls to map out the location

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dr. Stab posted:

You can always upgrade later and use the modules you took out to fuel further upgrades.
Note this is rather easy to do -- you can control click higher level productivity modules into an assembler and it'll replace the lower level ones with them.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Mr. Powers posted:

Grab the map exchange string and see what settings it picks.

ShadowHawk posted:

Note this is rather easy to do -- you can control click higher level productivity modules into an assembler and it'll replace the lower level ones with them.

Yeah turns out I just accidentally left all the default values on, didn't even set it to rail world. Funny thing is I tried the map exchange thing once and went "Oh, that's just for the land and water layout, it sets all the resource settings to default for you to change! :downs:"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Filthy Monkey posted:

What is the first tool used here, which is dragged over the patch of ore? I've made blueprints before, but don't there need to be constructions there?
https://gfycat.com/VioletPoliteHomalocephale

It's here

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Manyorcas posted:

Yeah turns out I just accidentally left all the default values on, didn't even set it to rail world. Funny thing is I tried the map exchange thing once and went "Oh, that's just for the land and water layout, it sets all the resource settings to default for you to change! :downs:"

I think you can change basically anything but water and still get more or less the same map. The resources will obviously vary but the main thing that matters is the seed and the water. Starting area changes it some but you'll still recognize the important details. In the case of Goonisland the seed is 3731112855 with water low and very big.

Interestingly anything other than the biggest setting for starting area still gives you an island. I've been dicking around with the settings and generating maps and the general island shape is still there with a lake in the right place. On a big starting area it's just barely separate but on the biggest you get a blob of land with a partial ring of water but some big connections. I couldn't get a very small island to ever generate something playable (it was always missing at least one important resource...can't imagine playing the game without copper) but if you set the frequency of resources to high on a small island you can get everything. I found Goonisland to be too cramped so I went bigger but I can see the challenge of a smaller one being interesting in its way.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 17, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If someone ever finds an archipelago map string please post it. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Now why didn't you build that east-west instead of north-south?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Right now when I want to lay down a blueprint I hit B, click the blueprint (I'm not using books yet because I'm lazy), and place it. Then I hit q when I'm done. This means I get a copy of the blueprint in my inventory, which is annoying. Is there any way to fix that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There might be a mod for it, but otherwise no. Make a book and put your blueprints in that.

While this blueprint system is better than the previous, I think they could still streamline it more by getting rid of physical blueprint items altogether and just having it a part of the UI.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Collateral Damage posted:

If someone ever finds an archipelago map string please post it. :v:

Is this good enough? https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/6bk3fx/i_wanted_something_new_so_i_created_waterworld/

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

vOv posted:

Right now when I want to lay down a blueprint I hit B, click the blueprint (I'm not using books yet because I'm lazy), and place it. Then I hit q when I'm done. This means I get a copy of the blueprint in my inventory, which is annoying. Is there any way to fix that?

Make a blueprint book. Put blueprints in the book. When you want to use a blueprint, use the book, shift+scrollwheel to the blueprint you want to use, then place your blueprint as you normally would.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It still makes too many blueprint items.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Right click the blueprint and click on the red garbage can to delete it. Books as well. Books can also be saved in the blueprint menu. Then, using multiple books in different categories reduces the annoyance of finding any individual design and the inventory clutter.

I could see a separate blueprint hotbar, bound to alt-#, and removing them entirely from the item inventory working. They'd have to rework the blueprint menu, but at least it's already there.

Edit: I do vaguely recall one of the FFFs mentioning they didn't want to do this for some reason or other, though I may be misremembering.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

GotLag posted:

Goddamn it

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

seravid posted:

Goddamn it

And you can throw a line of belts on the east side for that little bit of flair.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

GotLag posted:

No ring, so he didn't want to embarrass himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

Too many fingers. Or is that from the radiation?