Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i forgot about Chelios' mean streak. I guess I was thinking more that he wasn't a big-hit-first kind of guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I find it odd to think that anyone would think of Chris Chelios and not think of a guy that would shove your head through the boards.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I find it odd to think that anyone would think of Chris Chelios and not think of a guy that would shove your head through the boards.

In my head I always had Chelios pegged as that tall but kinda thinner build in the era of the gigantic rear end Eric Lindros types so he couldn't really square up for big hits as much. :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if lazy is the right word. He back checks.

What irritates some people about Kessel is he's soft as hell in the corners. If he gets a puck and is about to get hit, that puck is being thrown away. If it's a 50/50 battle he's frequently going to bail out and let the other guy get it if there's a threat of contact. I don't think it's laziness though so much as self preservation. He doesn't like to get hit at all. It's a weird mentality since obviously 99% of NHLers are not that way, so it stands out a bit.

Phili don't do corners.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I don't know if I'd group Lidstrom or Chelios with Kessel. Granted I was much younger when I watched Lidstrom and Chelios so I could be totally off base, but I don't remember either of them being unusually physical in either direction. Not throwing big hitz all the time, but definitely not totally contact-averse either.

Kessel is kind of a special snowflake in terms of how much he avoids contact. And so long as he can do that while keeping his scoring touch and injury-free streak, I'll take his "soft" play all day every day.

This is a good opinion. "Grit" is the most overrated quality in professional sports. Toughness is a good thing, sure, but when a perceived lack of it causes you to make a move that sets your franchise back a few years like it did with the Leafs, you value it too much.

Also Re: Chelios: He was definitely an aggressive dude in his younger years (ask Brian Propp), but he stepped it back significantly as he aged. Dude went form having 200 Pim's regularly to rarely clearing 100. Probably a smart call.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kessel plays like he's playing in a pickup game with how he'll actively go out of his way to avoid hitting someone and it's both hilarious and awesome.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Lidstrom could hit if he wanted to, but you don't need to hit anyone if you literally know exactly where to be on the ice every second of your entire gat dang career.

The guy was a loving wizard, and I don't think anyone ever before or since, save maybe (probably (drat near a certainty)) Gretzky, could ever see the ice or anticipate as well as him.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

For some reason earlier today I was thinking about Alexei Kovalev, then I remembered my favorite play of his, so I thought I'd share (I'm sure a good chunk of SAS has seen it already)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCjBppqZFP4 Goofy editing at some parts, ah well.
It's the game where Darcy Tucker gets a high one on him, then Kovalev proceeds to be awesome and get one back at Tucker, cause gently caress Darcy Tucker forever honestly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
With the Preds going up 2-1 in the series, I figure I should put their chants that I know down so you have them.

Tell me if I miss any. For reference Paul is the Preds announcer.

Edit: forgot about the beginning of the game: at the beginning of the game Paul announces the opposing team starting lineup. The response is "SUCKS" the each player name, and then when Paul goes "coach whomever" the response is "HE SUCKS TOO."

When Preds score:

-Tim McGraw song

-Black keys "gold on the ceiling" with crowd chanting "hey! You suck!" 3 times. Then "we're gonna beat the hell out of you! You! You you you!"

-a few moments late: "that's 2! Thank you (goalie name), can we have another? He shoots, he scores, you suck!"

-then a few moments later: "(chants goalie name 3 times)." Then "You Suck! It's all your fault! it's all your fault! it's all your fault!"

When Nashville goes on a power play:

Paul goes "your Nashville Predators are (crowd joins in) ON.....THE....POWERPLAY!"

Penalty kill:

Paul announces the penalty, and Paul goes "(opposing team) is on the.....power play..." and crowd responds "and they still suck!"

Near end of he period, Paul will go "there's one minute left in the period" and the crowd responds "Thanks Paul!"

Edit 2: end of game if Preds win:
-"Hands go Up Song! "
-"Hey! You suck!" 3 times
- "we just beat the hell out of you! You! You you you!"

Other notes:
-The Preds organist is Krazy Kyle. He is awesome.
-Gnash is the best mascot
-Nashville is awesome.

Random hockey memory: i was there for a game where the Preds thanked Jason Arnott, and the Fans chanted a chant of "Arnott, Artoo," (get it?) which was a great chant as well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 17, 2017

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

For some reason earlier today I was thinking about Alexei Kovalev, then I remembered my favorite play of his, so I thought I'd share (I'm sure a good chunk of SAS has seen it already)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCjBppqZFP4 Goofy editing at some parts, ah well.
It's the game where Darcy Tucker gets a high one on him, then Kovalev proceeds to be awesome and get one back at Tucker, cause gently caress Darcy Tucker forever honestly.

This is my favorite Kovalev highlight of all time

Duckman2008 posted:

cool things
:yeah:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Duckman2008 posted:

With the Preds going up 2-1 in the series, I figure I should put their chants that I know down so you have them.

Edit: forgot about the beginning of the game: at the beginning of the game Paul announces the opposing team starting lineup. The response is "SUCKS" the each player name, and then when Paul goes "coach whomever" the response is "HE SUCKS TOO."

When Preds score:

-Tim McGraw song

-Black keys "gold on the ceiling" with crowd chanting "hey! You suck!" 3 times. Then "we're gonna beat the hell out of you! You! You you you!"

-a few moments late: "that's 2! Thank you (goalie name), can we have another? He shoots, he scores, you suck!"

-then a few moments later: "(chants goalie name 3 times)." Then "You Suck! It's all your fault! it's all your fault! it's all your fault!"

Paul goes "your Nashville Predators are (crowd joins in) ON.....THE....POWERPLAY!"

Penalty kill:

Paul announces the penalty, and Paul goes "(opposing team) is on the.....power play..." and crowd responds "and they still suck!"

Near end of he period, Paul will go "there's one minute left in the period" and the crowd responds "Thanks Paul!"

Other notes:
-Nashville is awesome.

Random hockey memory: i was there for a game where the Preds thanked Jason Arnott, and the Fans chanted a chant of "Arnott, Artoo," (get it?) which was a great chant as well.

Oddly enough, a lot of these are also done in Milwaukee. I wonder if we passed on some of these.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Duckman2008 posted:

When Preds score:

-Tim McGraw song

Penalty kill:

Edit 2: end of game if Preds win:
-"Hands go Up Song! "
-"Hey! You suck!" 3 times
- "we just beat the hell out of you! You! You you you!"

Other notes:
-Nashville is awesome.

Nashville is cool.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

chants own nashville owns Duckman's post owns

go perds

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Nashville Predators Professional Hockey Club is cool and good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Infidel Castro posted:

Oddly enough, a lot of these are also done in Milwaukee. I wonder if we passed on some of these.

Probably a combo of that and Badger fans missing the Showdown. Still cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I've posted it before, but I've been to hockey games in Philly, Nashville, St Louis and Chicago (gently caress the Blackhawks), and while games elsewhere are good, Nashville is both the most fun, and goddamn do they get loud when poo poo gets crazy.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Did you intentionally leave out "FANG FINGERS" or did they stop doing that?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Kovalev should have won the Lady Bing for the justice served in that ambush.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

Did you intentionally leave out "FANG FINGERS" or did they stop doing that?

No lie, I was re capping what the list to my wife over the phone (she's out of town) and her first response was asking about Fang Fingers. Not sure how I missed it. drat.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

glynnenstein posted:

Kovalev should have won the Lady Bing for the justice served in that ambush.

Pfft. Bure did it better and didn't even get a penalty.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
There hasn't really been a hey you suck chant at the end of a win since they switched from Gary Glitter to "All I Do Is Win" which is good with me since the opposing team always gets
heck out before the chant can start.

The reason the chants seem similar to Milwaukee and other college/minor league chants is because a group of fans from the Nashville Knights brought their minor league chants with them when Nashville got the Preds. They sit in Section 303 and got chants going from the beginning and now it's a tradition. A lot of the chants still originate there today.

The local paper just did a little story on 303: http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2017/05/15/loudest-proudest-predators-fans-live-cellblock-303/101326640/

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
PAS: Do Kessel and Malkin always argue as much on the bench as they have this series, or has Boucher's System ruined a beautiful relationship

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

The Dirty Burger posted:

PAS: Do Kessel and Malkin always argue as much on the bench as they have this series, or has Boucher's System ruined a beautiful relationship

Phil likes to yell at everyone on the team, including, the coaches and the equipment staff. No one takes it seriously and they laugh it off because it's​ Phil.

There was a clip from game 2 of Phil bitching up a storm while Kunitz and Tocchet start bursting into laughter.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/864687555156992000

Oh no, the poor Anaheim Ducks have been so unlucky in the playoffs! They would clearly be 11-0 right now if they just weren't so drat unlucky!!!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/alex_prewitt/status/864473912863850496

JoelJoel posted:

Nashville is cool.

It sounds like a Rocky Horror screening.

Oh, also if you're wondering why Doiron was nominated for GM of the year, consider how brilliant he must look compared to the 2014-2016 version of Bryan Murray.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I know the games are played on ice and not on paper, but I honestly don't see either East team beating either West team.

As long as it's not the Ducks, I will be happy. Maybe not like, Imma go to the parade and be happy right away happy but eventually happy for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mich posted:

There hasn't really been a hey you suck chant at the end of a win since they switched from Gary Glitter to "All I Do Is Win" which is good with me since the opposing team always gets
heck out before the chant can start.

The reason the chants seem similar to Milwaukee and other college/minor league chants is because a group of fans from the Nashville Knights brought their minor league chants with them when Nashville got the Preds. They sit in Section 303 and got chants going from the beginning and now it's a tradition. A lot of the chants still originate there today.

The local paper just did a little story on 303: http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2017/05/15/loudest-proudest-predators-fans-live-cellblock-303/101326640/

drat Nashville really went all in on child molesters for a bit there didn't they?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Kessel is always that animated. Malkin is sometimes.

Sid and Horny go hog wild on each other too and I suspect is why they got split up as linemates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

When Preds score:

-Tim McGraw song

lol what a stupid goddamn city and team

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

David Poile lawn status: unsullied.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Oh, it's not *just* a Tim McGraw song, it is him singing it with lyrics specifically for the Preds :banjo: :c00l:

Also it's just one line from the song then segues into the Black Keys' Gold on the Ceiling which is where the hey you sucks come.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

lol what a stupid goddamn city and team

Incorrect.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mich posted:

Oh, it's not *just* a Tim McGraw song, it is him singing it with lyrics specifically for the Preds :banjo: :c00l:

Also it's just one line from the song then segues into the Black Keys' Gold on the Ceiling which is where the hey you sucks come.

everything about this is bad. even black keys, who are not bad, have been made bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Preds are cool and good

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it is now up to ryan kesler to rid us of this scourge.

HERE IS THE HERO WE WANT AND NEED

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bewbies posted:

it is now up to ryan kesler to rid us of this scourge.

HERE IS THE HERO WE WANT AND NEED

bring me home ryker

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Kilza posted:

Oh no, the poor Anaheim Ducks have been so unlucky in the playoffs! They would clearly be 11-0 right now if they just weren't so drat unlucky!!!

Still as mad as a ham? :fork:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

bewbies posted:

everything about this is bad. even black keys, who are not bad, have been made bad.

Lovin the transparency of your jealousy

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kilza posted:

Oilers lost because of your faithlessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NHLexpertpicks/status/864655762563444739

• Locked thread